What Sound Options Would Be Best?

#1 Posted by RageSaul (8 posts) -

So, I've pretty much got a very sweet set-up. Apart from my turtle beach x12's :/

I'm saving up £200 ($300) for a sweet headset/headphone+mic configuration. I just don't know what to go for.

My choices are right now:

Audio Technica ATH - AD700X with a blue snowball mic, which is a little over the budget, but quality. I have heard however, the earcups are heavy so the headset slips down due to the non grippy headband thing.
Astro A40s which apparently have a terrible mic
Sennheiser PC360s G4ME which also apparently have a bad mic

If there are much better choices, please tell me. I want a decent mic (skype,teamspeak,youtube) but also nice sound quality. My budget cant stretch by ~£20 ($~30) if needed.

Thanks!

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

The Blue Snowball is an amazing mic. You might consider getting some dedicated, quality headphones to go along with it. I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD555 and I'd recommend those if you're comfortable with over-the-ear headphones.

Also I'm fairly certain that your info about the Astro A40s is incorrect.

#3 Posted by RageSaul (8 posts) -

The Blue Snowball is an amazing mic. You might consider getting some dedicated, quality headphones to go along with it. I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD555 and I'd recommend those if you're comfortable with over-the-ear headphones.

Also I'm fairly certain that your info about the Astro A40s is incorrect.

Yeah, those headphones seem pretty cool, the different version 558 look like the same sort of thing. The thing is though, I like hearing my voice when talking through a mic, and I can't do that with a separate mic+headset.

#4 Edited by believer258 (11914 posts) -

What's wrong with Turtlebeach X12's? They're not the cream of the crop but they sound pretty good and the mic comes in pretty clear.

#5 Posted by RageSaul (8 posts) -

What's wrong with Turtlebeach X12's? They're not the cream of the crop but they sound pretty good and the mic comes in pretty clear.

I want the cream of the pop though. I know there are better sounding headphones and better quality microphones. Plus I have no idea what else to spend my money on considering I've got a quality keyboard, mouse, mouse mat, monitor and PC.

#6 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

@ragesaul said:

@believer258 said:

I want the cream of the pop though. I know there are better sounding headphones and better quality microphones. Plus I have no idea what else to spend my money on considering I've got a quality keyboard, mouse, mouse mat, monitor and PC.

Then allow me to be jealous of you.

I'm satisfied with the X12's because they're "good enough". I'd rather spend that money on something that I'm not satisfied with.

#7 Posted by chiablo (929 posts) -

@ragesaul: I have the closed-ear version of those Audio-Technica headphones. The ATH-A700X. They do not slip down at all, and the flexible band on the top makes these incredibly comfortable. I can wear them all day, where my Sennheiser HD595's give me a headache after a few hours.

I highly recommend the Audio-Technicas, and a desk mic. Depending on your need, you could get a cheap mic for now, then upgrade to the blue later.

#8 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

Ive gone through so many setups. The happiest Ive been is with an HT Omega Claro Halo sound card, a good table mic (in my case a Blue Yeti), and finally Sennheiser IE80 in-ear monitors that I use on the PC as well as on the go. The Claro Halo does good Dolby Headphone.

#9 Posted by RageSaul (8 posts) -

@chiablo: You have both? Ok, which is the most bassy? I will be playing lots of Battlefield 4 so I want some deep bass.

#10 Posted by MonetaryDread (2035 posts) -

Sony MDR7506 + Sound Blaster Z - These are regular headphones, a sound card, and a mic, but they sound better than any headset out there. Headsets are a ripoff because they are just shitty headphones with a sound-card built into them and an attached microphone. Because of the convenience of the product, every company tries to increase the price to the point where none of them sound what they are worth.

These Sony's sound better than any other over the ear headphones in its price range and you can listen to them outside. The new Sound Blaster has better positional audio than any cheap DAC thrown into a gaming headset on the market, and it comes with a mic that is not attached to the headphones that sounds better than the mic on the Logitech G35's or Astro A40's.

#11 Posted by chiablo (929 posts) -

@ragesaul said:

@chiablo: You have both? Ok, which is the most bassy? I will be playing lots of Battlefield 4 so I want some deep bass.

In my experience, open-ear headphones are not bassy at all; if you want bass, you want close ear. The ATH-700X has significantly more thump than the HD595's.

#12 Posted by RageSaul (8 posts) -

@chiablo: But they look uglier, they're blue, the same price and probably worse sound quality because they are older.

#13 Edited by chiablo (929 posts) -

@ragesaul said:

@chiablo: But they look uglier, they're blue, the same price and probably worse sound quality because they are older.

The blue is very elegant in person; the pictures online don't do it justice. It's a very muted, matte dark blue, almost purple. Unless you're looking dead on, or in a bright room, you wouldn't even be able to tell it's blue.

If all you care about is style, this is probably more up your alley. And what does age have to do with quality? Sennheiser hasn't touched the their HD650 in 10 years, and it's still considered one of the best headphones you can buy.

If you want a mixture of quality and bass, get some open ear headphones, and pair it with a dedicated subwoofer.

#14 Posted by mbr2 (566 posts) -

Just buy Sennheiser.

#15 Posted by RageSaul (8 posts) -

@chiablo: Yeah, I see where your coming from. I don't care too much about style but bulkiness is an issue in more than just style.

Anyway, it's either Audio Technica ATH-AD700X, Levelcap said these are the best headphones for gaming or the Sennheiser 598s. Thoughts?

#16 Posted by Korwin (2866 posts) -

Real headphones and a Snow Ball, don't even mess around.

#17 Posted by RageSaul (8 posts) -

Ok, I've decided on the 558s. Will I need an amp/sound card with these headphones? Thanks. I will get the snowball mic with them too.

#18 Posted by RageSaul (8 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.