What video card should i get....

#1 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -

I just want the best of the best,,,,, price range is 600$

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11943 posts) -

For that price, get a GTX580.

#3 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1329 posts) -

I wouldn't recommend getting something that expensive unless you are playing at insane resolutions, but yea GTX 580

#4 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -

what games would i not be able to max at 60 fps with a single 1080p moniter?

#5 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -

@SirPsychoSexy said:

I wouldn't recommend getting something that expensive unless you are playing at insane resolutions, but yea GTX 580

I just want to be able to max games at 60 fps

#6 Posted by Giefcookie (603 posts) -

At 1080p a GTX560Ti has the best price for performance ratio and can max out most games at 60 depending on your cpu / ram. I'd say get a factory overclocked 560Ti and save 350$.

#7 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -

I have an amd phenom x4 II 965.....

#8 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@Giefcookie said:

At 1080p a GTX560Ti has the best price for performance ratio and can max out most games at 60 depending on your cpu / ram. I'd say get a factory overclocked 560Ti and save 350$.

I was thinking of getting a 560 Ti myself. Glad to see more and more people recommend it to give me a good idea that I'm on the right track as a dude that definitely doesn't have that kind of cash to blow so frequently.

#9 Edited by MB (12423 posts) -

@ripsaw117: Why not get a 560Ti now, then when you feel you need an upgrade, pick up another one and run them together. That's what I did when I built my computer, I went with an HD5850/965 BE and I still haven't felt the need to upgrade. When I do, the HD5850 will be cheap and I should get a decent performance boost out of it.

Moderator
#10 Posted by evilrazer (489 posts) -

560Ti is the most obvious and the most right choice you can make now. Save yourself some money.

#11 Edited by dagas (2837 posts) -

At 1920x1080, ultra settings, 4xAA and 16xAF BF3 demands a lot. According to the Swedish site sweclockers you only get 48fps with a GTX580 and a 560Ti only gets 27fps. You need a GTX 590 or HD6990 to get over 60fps. 560 has 68fps at 1080p, medium settings and no AA or AF. So If you plan on playing BF3 on ultra then you need a lot more than a 560.

Also BF3 demands a lot of video RAM. 1GB of VRAM is absolute minimum. 1.5 or 2GB is preferable.

Here is a link. the text is in Swedish but the numbers and graphs speak for themselves http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/14650-prestandaanalys-battlefield-3/4#pagehead

#12 Posted by chinakat (41 posts) -

gtx 580, or two 560tis

#13 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -

I keep hearing about a 560 ti... I think a 580 would last longer and I would get a much better gaming experience.

#14 Edited by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -

@dagas said:

At 1920x1080, ultra settings, 4xAA and 16xAF BF3 demands a lot. According to the Swedish site sweclockers you only get 48fps with a GTX580 and a 560Ti only gets 27fps. You need a GTX 590 or HD6990 to get over 60fps. 560 has 68fps at 1080p, medium settings and no AA or AF. So If you plan on playing BF3 on ultra then you need a lot more than a 560.

Also BF3 demands a lot of video RAM. 1GB of VRAM is absolute minimum. 1.5 or 2GB is preferable.

Here is a link. the text is in Swedish but the numbers and graphs speak for themselves http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/14650-prestandaanalys-battlefield-3/4#pagehead

I have a Phenom II X4 965 clocked at 3.9ghz, running 8gb RAM and an HD6990 and have found that with Ultra settings at 1920x1080 it runs around 70fps quite comfortably and MSI afterburner keeps the temps down to 78 degrees C but the noise is a killer, if you want to get that sort of performance then I would suggest either 2x 560Ti, 2x6950 or maybe 2x6970 if your budget can stretch that far and your case has adequate cooling for it, I think 1 fan to cool 2 GPUs is woefully inadequate and think that a 2x6970 is a quieter option.

#15 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -

Hmmmm i dont want to spend 700 on a single card..... How does a single 580 compare to a HD6990?

#16 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

@Giefcookie said:

At 1080p a GTX560Ti has the best price for performance ratio and can max out most games at 60 depending on your cpu / ram. I'd say get a factory overclocked 560Ti and save 350$.

I was thinking of getting a 560 Ti myself. Glad to see more and more people recommend it to give me a good idea that I'm on the right track as a dude that definitely doesn't have that kind of cash to blow so frequently.

That is the card that I picked up last month. Couldn't be happier. Maxing out most new games (excluding Battlefield 3 of course...).

#17 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -

@SpikeSpiegel said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@Giefcookie said:

At 1080p a GTX560Ti has the best price for performance ratio and can max out most games at 60 depending on your cpu / ram. I'd say get a factory overclocked 560Ti and save 350$.

I was thinking of getting a 560 Ti myself. Glad to see more and more people recommend it to give me a good idea that I'm on the right track as a dude that definitely doesn't have that kind of cash to blow so frequently.

That is the card that I picked up last month. Couldn't be happier. Maxing out most new games (excluding Battlefield 3 of course...).

Would a 580 have a big boost in performance?

#18 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

If you want to spend that much money, it's a better idea to get to two 560's and SLI them. They'll absolutely crush a single 580.

#19 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -

@RsistncE said:

If you want to spend that much money, it's a better idea to get to two 560's and SLI them. They'll absolutely crush a single 580.

By how much (%)

#20 Posted by Strife777 (1580 posts) -

I have a GTX580 and it's great, but I don't think it was worth 500$. You should get a 570.

I don't know much about having two video cards, but I guess you could get two 560s like someone else said.

#21 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

@ripsaw117 said:

@RsistncE said:

If you want to spend that much money, it's a better idea to get to two 560's and SLI them. They'll absolutely crush a single 580.

By how much (%)

Depending the game, an SLI setup with two 560's can net you upwards of 20% in terms of a performance increase over the 580. Additionally I'm pretty sure that two 560's are still cheaper than one 580. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that two cards are going to suck up more power than one, there's probably going to be more noise, there will be more heat, and you're forgoing the ability to SLI in the future (unless you can do tri or quad). If you got a single 580, it would be more expensive, less powerful, but it would use less power, be less noisy, produce less heat and still allow you to pop in another 580 down to line to get a big performance increase.

#22 Edited by MonetaryDread (2035 posts) -
@RsistncE said:

@ripsaw117 said:

 If you got a single 580, it would be more expensive, less powerful, but it would use less power, be less noisy, produce less heat and still allow you to pop in another 580 down to line to get a big performance increase.

In addition I would also say to avoid SLI if possible.  SLI / Crossfire is better than it has been in the past with close to 100% performance increase with the extra card, but it also comes with additional headaches.  I see it all the time, whenever a game comes out that isn't optimised properly and/ or buggy, disabling SLI is always the first step to getting it working again.  Now what is the point of owning two video cards if you are only using one of them 50% of the time.
#23 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

@RsistncE said:

@ripsaw117 said:

If you got a single 580, it would be more expensive, less powerful, but it would use less power, be less noisy, produce less heat and still allow you to pop in another 580 down to line to get a big performance increase.

I think it's also worth pointing out that if he SLI's two 580's, then it's going to be more expensive, more powerful, use more power, be more noisy and produce more heat than the 560 SLI setup. The biggest thing is the price though, and the 560 still offer the best price/performance ratio.

#24 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -

what can a 570 not max?

#25 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

2 570s bout 600 bucks. SLI them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.