Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What's a good video card/motherboard combo for around 400$?

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By TomA

So I want to upgrade my video card from a 8800 GTX to something beefier. I have to upgrade my motherboard as well. What's a good video card/motherboard combo for under 400$ total? I'm going to do some more upgrades as well but these will be the biggest.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Don't forget a power supply.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

what's your CPU and RAM type? Does you PSU have the right power plugins for the PCI-E cards?

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TomA

Yes i need a power supply as well. Here are pictures of my CPU and RAM from System Info for Windows. 

CPU

No Caption Provided

RAM

No Caption Provided
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By commandercup

Is there a reason why you're upgrading your motherboard? Unless it's dead, don't since you'll probably want to upgrade to the latest socket if you do upgrade.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TomA
    @commandercup said:
    " Is there a reason why you're upgrading your motherboard? Unless it's dead, don't since you'll probably want to upgrade to the latest socket if you do upgrade. "
    Thats why i want to upgrade. In order to get the video card i want i need up to date motherboard sockets that my motherboard doesnt have.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You know you have to factor in what cpu you are going to use and what cpu socket too right? You might have to buy a new cpu with that and it will be more expensive than just a mobo and videocard.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By commandercup
    @TomA said:
    " @commandercup said:
    " Is there a reason why you're upgrading your motherboard? Unless it's dead, don't since you'll probably want to upgrade to the latest socket if you do upgrade. "
    Thats why i want to upgrade. In order to get the video card i want i need up to date motherboard sockets that my motherboard doesnt have. "
    I'd recommend you just wait till you want to update the CPU as well. I wouldn't upgrade to another Socket 775 (is that what you have?) board since all the new sockets have already come out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.