Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What's this crap about no games using 4 cores.

• 68 results
    Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Bioderm

For now 2 core is better than 4 core but in a couple of year it will be the other way around.

Theres no reason to buy a quadcore right now unless you want to waste your money on 'Future Proof" stuff

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Insectecutor
    @Bioderm said:
    " For now 2 core is better than 4 core but in a couple of year it will be the other way around.  Theres no reason to buy a quadcore right now unless you want to waste your money on 'Future Proof" stuff "
    No, having four cores is better than having two, it's just unnecessary. And I like that.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By mikemcn

My quad core is subdivided into 8 parts, so i technically have 8 cores, thats alot of power not being used.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By TheHBK

Fucking commie, what would you know anyway?  your quad core is probably designed by russians ripping off american tech.  Your task manager probably tells you that but three of your cores are actually cardboard.  Also, 25% activity?  What does that mean?  Windows itself takes us CPU power and the fact of the matter is that most people play with 2 cores nowadays, so thats at most what developers will take advantage of.
    jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By jack_daniels
    @jonsnow007 said:
    " communism isn't cool "
    Fascism is the only way to go...
    StickyMicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By StickyMicky
    @Black_Raven: 

My q6700 quad clocked from 2.66ghz to 3.3ghz on air, it was reasonably cheap and it seams like a pretty good result to me!

I have ran it at higher clock speeds but its not as stable, i spent 10 hours one day playing arma 2 with no crash, so i would assume it has passed the stability test with flying colours :D
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Black_Raven
    @StickyMicky said:

" @Black_Raven:   My q6700 quad clocked from 2.66ghz to 3.3ghz on air, it was reasonably cheap and it seams like a pretty good result to me!  I have ran it at higher clock speeds but its not as stable, i spent 10 hours one day playing arma 2 with no crash, so i would assume it has passed the stability test with flying colours :D " 

You would think that but its not necessarily true, in the past I've had overclocks that were able to run games like crysis for hours without a problem, only to then blue screen when I"m installing a game, or in one case opening firefox. Chances are your overclock is fine though but its always a good idea to run software like Prime95, you may also find that you can run your overclock at a lower voltage.  

At the moment I have my e7300 (2.66) running stable at 3.8ghz, I've been able to get it running at 4ghz stable but the huge increase in Vcore definitely didn't justify such a small speed increase, its a bit of a shame really because my Cooler Master V8 keeps my CPU so damn cool even at 4ghz, but running a 45mn CPU at above 1.4v isn't recommended.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Diamond
    @Mikemcn said:

My quad core is subdivided into 8 parts, so i technically have 8 cores, thats alot of power not being used.

Hyper Threading?  Either way that's what a 'thread' is, you have 4 cores, 2 threads per core, 8 threads total.  Xbox 360 for example has 3 cores, 2 threads per, 6 threads total.  It's the difference between a physical processor and how your CPU handles the work it is sent.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Linkyshinks said:
    (and it shows in the quality)
    There are a few games that use all four cores now and it will only grow rapidly. SF4, RE5, BC, all Capcom's games are using 4 cores...
    But they run smoothly on smaller dual core CPUs anyway, a quadcore would be a waste of money for those. The only (!) game that really needs a triple/quad CPU and is worth playing is the shitty PC port of GTA IV.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Nettacki said:
    " Your eyes sees 60 fps in the light, 30 fps in the dark, from what I've heard. "
    Absolutely golden. Thanks for the chuckle.
    Benjaminvdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Benjaminvdv

Personally I went for a X3 simply because I couldn't find a proper reason for a X4, even if they start using X4 properly, I really wonder how long it will take before my processor will actually be bottlenecking my PC.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Colonel_Cool said:
    " Fact: The fastest processors available today are quad-cores Fact: Computers are used for more than just games, and many professional applications benefit from quad-cores Fact:  There are plenty of games available now that utilize quad-coresFact: Supcom is awesome  Quad-cores may not have been useful when they first came out, and you get get by fine today with a dual-core, but it is silly NOT to go quad when building a new computer in this day and age. "
    No its not, one can take the usual 2-300 price increase for a quad core over a dual core and apply it else where.
    A decent high end dual core is really all you need. there are games that take advantage of quad core but really what benefit are you truly getting? And if you have a decent system later on you can upgrade to a quad core and be set.
    Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Colonel_Cool
    @WilliamRLBaker: What if all of your other parts are the best of the best, in which case you can't put money anywhere else? When benchmarking the performance of two processors, both computers need to be equal in order to make a fair judgment of one processor's advantage over another. Under these circumstances, the fastest quad-cores ARE faster than the fastest dual-cores.
    krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By krazy_kyle

omg this is annoying me so i'll give everyone the real facts. 
    Your PC will use all 4 cores if you have selected the rights settings in the OS for it to do so. This means that you need to set a programs affinity to use all cores. When people say that most pc games and programmes dont use 4 cores, some are probably just saying that most programmes and PC games are only optimized for 2 cores but that doesnt mean that it wont use all 4 cores when necessary. You normally dont need more than 2 cores but it will help future proof your system when applications and Games get more and more advanced
    monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By monkeyroach

wanna see a game that stress your cores, just install supreme commander that game can use up to 8 cores i think.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By amir90

A few games does, the quad core hasn't been on the market for a very long time, and not a lot of people have one aswell.
    I think GTA 4 should never be mentioned in a performance topic again, it was a bad port! :D
     PC games is at the moment a lot more GPU dependent then CPU, even though it helps having a fast CPU.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#67  Edited By mrhankey
    @AmericanPegasus: 

I think they mean no game needs to use all four cores. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warefare will use four cores if you have em. It's just a nice way of spreading out the workload really.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#68  Edited By carlthenimrod

Quad-Core is so 1996. Octo-Core is the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.