Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Where is the WOW mists of pandaria quicklook?

PHARAOH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PHARAOH

Jeff was down on guild wars 2 and says its just wow so why hasn't he did a quick look of MOP? Or is he a secret wow Fanboy lol? MOP has been out a while and no quick look, come on guys i would like your opinion on the new expansion since Jeff labeled it as just wow which it isn't. SWTOR yes but guild wars is way different in far more ways and it's F2P without them nerfing your access to the game.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Jeff secretes interesting substances all the time. I'm guessing they didn't have a 400-800 days played "normal' WoW person on hand to play it and obviously don't have a max level character themselves to be able to actually show off the expo.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think I remember Dave said on Twitter that someone left they copy the got on his desk. I have no clue if he did anything with it (obviously not video for the site).

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By williamhenry

I will never understand MMO fanboy's obsessions with what the staff thinks of every MMO. They've clearly stated their opinions multiple times. They're not going to change. I get that you wish they liked every game you liked, but they don't. Nor do they have the time to sink into one to be as knowledgeable as you are.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Zekhariah

Warcraft (or Rift) would probably have to change a lot more before it is worth going out and doing a quick look of them. Otherwise you are basically going over something that shows a clear lineage to 8+ years ago, and any criticism will probably pretty much work as flame bait - while most people will probably not care.

MMO stuff seems mostly stays within its own corner of the gaming arena, so going to a MMO specific site - where people will care about WoW endgame content and the like - is the way to get that sort quick look style video. Getting into an MMO requires a rather high level of commitment before the systems and the like click, and spending enough time to do that would mostly preclude other gaming habits.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jazzycola

Because people who are going to buy mists of pandoria probably already know they are going to buy it. This isn't like an entirely new MMO. It is an expansion on an already known game. Same reason they don't do a quicklook of every episode of the walking dead. If you want to know how it plays watch the original quicklook.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @PHARAOH

Jeff was down on guild wars 2 and says its just wow so why hasn't he did a quick look of MOP? Or is he a secret wow Fanboy lol? MOP has been out a while and no quick look, come on guys i would like your opinion on the new expansion since Jeff labeled it as just wow which it isn't. SWTOR yes but guild wars is way different in far more ways and it's F2P without them nerfing your access to the game.

Are you looking for the staff opinion, or just to point out how wrong they are if they don't give you validation for the fact you like it?

Because that's how this post comes across.
    Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bell_End

@WilliamHenry said:

I will never understand MMO fanboy's obsessions with what the staff thinks of every MMO. They've clearly stated their opinions multiple times. They're not going to change. I get that you wish they liked every game you liked, but they don't. Nor do they have the time to sink into one to be as knowledgeable as you are.

yeah but... quicklook everything and stuff. im just as interested in a QL of WoW as i am from some shitty gameboy games

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SeanFoster

I think the only reason we ever got a Cataclysm quick look is because some people in the Whiskey Media offices happened to be playing it so Brad checked it out as they played.

CommanderZx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CommanderZx2

Based on how terrible their Guild Wars 2 quick look is, which showed a complete lack of understanding of the game, would you really want a quick look of another MMO?

I'd rather they gave up on it until they had someone who actually played MMOs.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By devilzrule27

I don't give a fuck about WoW but if they could get Matt Rorie into the office to do a quick look I would 100% watch that shit.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CaLe

It's just more WoW. No one who isn't already interested needs to see it. GW2 was a new game, so it got a quicklook.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By fox01313

Not everyone probably played enough of WoW (GB staff) so it's probably something they want to do, just finding time for the few people on staff that do to dive into these. A QL on MMOs are rough as there's so much world they can see in the QL & that's usually a fraction of the early gameplay. If you like WoW & still playing it then you probably are already playing the new expansion.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

With no Kessler or Rorie, I really doubt they have anyone who cares enough to make it happen.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karkarov

@WilliamHenry said:

Hey dude I love mmo's and I play almost all of them that come out. That said I would absolutely love it if Giant Bomb never did one iota of World of Warcraft coverage ever again. It is WoW, you don't need a quicklook. You want to know whats new? The graphics got slightly better, you can play Blizzards version of Pokemon, the new talent system is crap and even more shallow than the old one, and now you can be a Panda. I literally just told you the entire expansion, the end.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Jayzilla

@CommanderZx2 said:

Based on how terrible their Guild Wars 2 quick look is, which showed a complete lack of understanding of the game, would you really want a quick look of another MMO?

^ this. they missed the parts where you can fight huge dragons with 100-150 people at the same time. it's a big thing to miss.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Jeff played close to 100 hours of The Old Republic before its Quick Look, but that game came out in a dead zone of game releases and no one on the staff has that much time, or dozens of hours, to play an MMO right now. For the Guild Wars 2 Quick Look, he played a couple hours with it and that resulted in a shitstorm in the comments. So, if they can't get someone, who has not much going on, like, I don't know, Matt Rorie, then don't even bother.

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@PHARAOH

Are you looking for the staff opinion, or just to point out how wrong they are if they don't give you validation for the fact you like it? Because that's how this post comes across.

Don't you want to see another clusterfuck of a comments section like the GW2 one?

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LikeaSsur

@Karkarov said:

the new talent system is crap

Tell that to my Fury Warrior who can have Bladestorm and Titan's Grip.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Phatmac

Go to another site if you want MMO coverage.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@CommanderZx2 said:

As someone who's love affair with GW2 was extremely short and who re-watched the QL not too long ago, what was so terrible about it? Was it perfect? No. However, it's not the unspeakable crime against humanity some make it out to be. At the very least, "their lack of understanding" is, in part, due to the game's partial lack of explanation/emphasis.

But I digress, I couldn't care less about a WoW quick look in particular because anyone who is even remotely interested in the game has made up their mind about it and, personally, I've had my fill of WoW. I have very few negative things to say about my time spent in that game, but still, I've grown tired of it. If they would like to do a quick look of literally any other mmo though, then I'm on board 100%.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By laserbolts

Yeah that is weird. Maybe we will get one at some point but we probably won't. Slacking more than likely.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Nobody gives a fuck about MMO quicklooks. People either buy them or they dont based on their following.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ghost_cat

It's just an expansion to a game much of the gaming world is already familiar with. Doing a QL for it would offer nothing more than just pleasing WoW fans.

PHARAOH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PHARAOH

@Jazzycola said:

Because people who are going to buy mists of pandoria probably already know they are going to buy it. This isn't like an entirely new MMO. It is an expansion on an already known game. Same reason they don't do a quicklook of every episode of the walking dead. If you want to know how it plays watch the original quicklook.

With so many F2P MMO's now people that left wow may want to see a reason to comeback.

PHARAOH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PHARAOH

@Ghost_Cat said:

It's just an expansion to a game much of the gaming world is already familiar with. Doing a QL for it would offer nothing more than just pleasing WoW fans.

The last expansion got one.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scalpel

@Phatmac said:

That's... retarded. There's no reason for them to ignore a big part of gaming. Besides, every single large MMO that's come out since the site was founded has been quick looked, so what you said was false as well.

BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BirthWild
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pazy

@scalpel said:

@Phatmac said:

That's... retarded. There's no reason for them to ignore a big part of gaming. Besides, every single large MMO that's come out since the site was founded has been quick looked, so what you said was false as well.

They say quite often they ignore a lot of games. They are not the "catch all" gaming site like IGN/Gamespot, they dont cover every game or post every news article. Theres a reason Borderlands has like 5 QL's (Main game on console, main game on PC and then various DLC), Jeff just really likes it.

People on this site know you go to IGN/Gamespot for general news and them come to GIant Bomb for the awesome-factor.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scrawnto

@scalpel said:

@Phatmac said:

Hey, remember this from the site FAQ?

How Come You Don't Review Every Single Game That Comes Out? Are You Lazy?

Well, yeah, but the point is that Giant Bomb isn't interested in the fire-hose approach to video game coverage. Our editorial team is small and experienced, and our job is to highlight the stuff that we feel is significant, either to us on a personal level, or for video games at large. That's not everything, but it's still a lot. Though, we're not real big on sports games, so don't expect too much meaningful/informed Madden coverage.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By shinboy630

@WilliamHenry said:

As someone who I guess could be seen as an "MMO Fanboy" (I mean, just look at my avatar), I totally agree. Jeff was pretty bummed about GW2, because he didn't really have the time to research beforehand that it was more of an MMO than GW1 was, and although it shakes up the MMO formula, it just wouldn't be worth his time to really dive into it, especially now that the fall rush of games is in full swing.

Jeff didn't like a game that I really like, oh well. It's not going to stop me from playing it.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By scalpel

@Scrawnto: Hey, remember how there's an enormous difference between quick looks and reviews?

@Pazy said:

@scalpel said:

@Phatmac said:

They say quite often they ignore a lot of games. They are not the "catch all" gaming site like IGN/Gamespot, they dont cover every game or post every news article. Theres a reason Borderlands has like 5 QL's (Main game on console, main game on PC and then various DLC), Jeff just really likes it.

People on this site know you go to IGN/Gamespot for general news and them come to GIant Bomb for the awesome-factor.

Every MMO's been covered and so has the previous WoW expansion. There's no reason to expect them to stop covering MMOs.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By geirr

This panda hate has to stop! They're the gentle giants of the sea!

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#33  Edited By the8bitNacho

@PHARAOH said:

It really is just WoW. It's the same shit in a new environment. Fame journalists barely have time to play the MMOs they review. I doubt that any of the Giant Bomb staff have the level 85 character necessary to dive into MoP's content.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jazzycola

@PHARAOH said:

@Jazzycola said:

With so many F2P MMO's now people that left wow may want to see a reason to comeback.

It's World of Warcraft. They know it's World of Warcraft. If they want to play more content for World of Warcraft then buy Mists of Pandaria. It's not like the selling point for Mists of Pandoria is that it turns WoW on its head. It's more content for an existing game.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scrawnto

@scalpel: So what? Do you think that because it only says review there it doesn't also apply to other coverage?

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hadoken101

I kind of don't blame them based on the fact that they receive so much vitriol from the comments every single time they do an MMO QL. Between that and the fact that there are a shit ton of games coming out right now, it's easy to see why something that requires a such large amount of time investment to adequately show isn't getting much coverage.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By Dagbiker

If World Of Warcraft gets more Quick Looks then Free Realms gets at least one.

PS: Also the last QL for WOW was here. It also ends with them saying they will continue the coverage of Cataclysm.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By alternate

None of them have touched wow in years. Do you really think it is worth one of the small team spending a number of hours getting back in to the swing to produce a half hour of video content where they basically say "yup, this sure is more wow. If you want more wow then this is for you.".

They could get someone like Rorie in to do it but even that cost and hassle is likely not worth the views it would get.

I am not sure why people think a game site has to cover everything. GB said from the start that this was not their goal.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By AndrewB

Matt Rorie is unavailable for comment.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Phatmac
    @scalpel

@Phatmac said:

Have you listened to the bombcast recently? They clearly don't care for MMOs in general and Wong pay much attention to them. All I'm saying is that you can get better MMO coverage on different sites. Dont expect much coverage for MMOs.
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Hadoken101

I kind of don't blame them based on the fact that they receive so much vitriol from the comments every single time they do an MMO QL. Between that and the fact that there are a shit ton of games coming out right now, it's easy to see why something that requires a such large amount of time investment to adequately show isn't getting much coverage.

Yeah. Every single time they QL an MMO, it seems like some jackass makes a thread about how they played it wrong and should be ashamed. And the comments sections are cesspools of fanboys losing their goddamn minds. If it means sparing the site from that kind of bullshit, I'm ok with not seeing Panda people kill 15 mobs for a quests for an hour.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Karkarov

@LikeaSsur said:

@Karkarov said:

the new talent system is crap

Tell that to my Fury Warrior who can have Bladestorm and Titan's Grip.

No problem, the new talent system is crap fury warrior with bladestorm and titan's grip. Also don't brag. You have lots of patched to look forward to. I played one for five years and every time someone started talking patch notes I always asked if warriors were mentioned. If they said no I would always say, "great patch". One day they asked me why I would say that and I told them. It is because if the Warrior class is mentioned in a Blizzard patch (other than initial expansion) it is always for one of two reasons. They made an insignificant and pointless change to a rarely used ability they will patch back to the old way anyway in 4-6 months, or warriors got nerfed.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LikeaSsur

@Karkarov: I don't think you're realizing the scope of destruction I have here. In one hand, I wield a sword bigger than an entire Blood Elf. In my other, an axe that could cleave any Human-built house in two. Combine them together, and spin with the fury of a thousand suns, and I become an unstoppable butchering machine, where nothing survives in my wake.

But seriously, the talent system is alright. Classes get brand new abilities, abilities they never could have gotten before in their specialization, and/or some pretty significant upgrades that's more than "Gain 2% critical strike to abilities X, Y, and Z."

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By The_Nubster

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Hadoken101

Yeah. Every single time they QL an MMO, it seems like some jackass makes a thread about how they played it wrong and should be ashamed. And the comments sections are cesspools of fanboys losing their goddamn minds. If it means sparing the site from that kind of bullshit, I'm ok with not seeing Panda people kill 15 mobs for a quests for an hour.

BUT JEFF DIDN'T FUCKING DODGE, MAN, HE WASN'T DODGING, THAT 90% OF THE GAME

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.