Where's all the MMO violence?

#1 Edited by aktillum (10 posts) -

Okay so I know a purely violent MMORPG for the sake of being purely violent would be pretty lame (Age of Conan), but it seems developers use this as an excuse to be boring and generic. I want some real-time combat with class-specific instakills. Magic incinerating people to burning crisps, warriors cleaving people in half. I want some violence in a game that doesn't suck. Where are they?!

I guess I'll just keep playing Imperian

#2 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

I'm starting to think I'm the only person who ever cared for Age of Conan. To hell with you MMO gods!

#3 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

I played AoC when it came out. The intro area was really cool with some great quests and story. Then I got out into the wider world and it was very clearly rushed out and unfinished. Never went back.

Anyway, got to get that game rating down there and suitable for minors so they can make the $cash$. That's my only guess - it must be a purely business decision.

#4 Posted by EightBitShik (1342 posts) -

I was killed over and over again in the first zone by high level guys and said "back to wow" this was Day 1 as well. Never went back. I don't know I don't need super violence to enjoy a game. They probably don't have that kind of violence because they want more people to buy and play the game. It's like why a lot of movies try to push for a PG 13 rating when they could clearly make it R it's all about money at the end of the day.

#5 Posted by Dangerlove (36 posts) -

Doing real-time combat in an MMO I would imagine is very difficult with all of the people with poor internet connections 'effin up the other dudes experience.

#6 Posted by alternate (2717 posts) -

They want to appeal to the largest market. Similar to why most action films are PG13 these days.

#7 Edited by aktillum (10 posts) -

@EightBitShik said:

It's like why a lot of movies try to push for a PG 13 rating when they could clearly make it R it's all about money at the end of the day.

I guess so, but that's a really old way of thinking (for them). Kids will find ways to watch an R-rated movie without their parents, just like kids will find ways to play Mortal Kombat. Heck, all my friends that had copies of Mortal Kombat growing up were bought by their parents.

Plus, if it's a marketing technique, then they're just assuming that people want to play PG-13 games because none of us can really name any commercial R-rated MMORPGs (except AoC), so it's like they're telling us vanilla is the best flavor, but nobody has even tried chocolate yet.

I want chocolate.

#8 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

@aktillum said:

Okay so I know a purely violent MMORPG for the sake of being purely violent would be pretty lame (Age of Conan), but it seems developers use this as an excuse to be boring and generic. I want some real-time combat with class-specific instakills. Magic incinerating people to burning crisps, warriors cleaving people in half. I want some violence in a game that doesn't suck. Where are they?!

Check out Mortal Online. I stopped playing it a while ago, but I'm pretty sure they added dismemberment.

#9 Edited by EightBitShik (1342 posts) -

@aktillum: That is not what I am saying, it's clear there are ways around it but it's a given fact that a lot of companies will cut certain parts to obtain that rating. Despite the kids who can get through the crack and obtain the product or see it there is still a huge demographic of people who won't see it or can't see it and their target is "to get as many people as ever" There aren't many people out there that will only see a Rated R movie so they know if they dumb it down a bit they can still obtain everyone who would of seen it at R and get extra people it's a common practice.

They even talk about in making Bastion videos about how they were getting a mature rating and they needed to fix that because it would affect their sales.

#10 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Jams said:

@aktillum said:

Check out Mortal Online. I stopped playing it a while ago, but I'm pretty sure they added dismemberment.

aww I thought that was going to be some korean made Mortal Kombat MMO
#11 Posted by TobbRobb (4761 posts) -

Skill based combat in a MMO environment is prone to horrible lag and inconsistency (read: it's fucking hard to make it work right)

Combat which is not based on the loot you get, means they have to find a new hook for you to waste your life. This is the part that makes them popular to being with, loot is like crack man.

If the possibility of the instantkill is always there, they can't make fights go on forever (fucking million hp bosses), making progress a lot faster, which might mean one less month of your money.

MMOs want the large subscriber base (or now, a large crowd that might be cool with microtransactions) and a game where you could potentially be killed instantly, possibly a lot, just isn't attractive to a loooooot of people. Probably the moajority of MMO players would hate it.

#12 Posted by aktillum (10 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

Skill based combat in a MMO environment is prone to horrible lag and inconsistency (read: it's fucking hard to make it work right)

Combat which is not based on the loot you get, means they have to find a new hook for you to waste your life. This is the part that makes them popular to being with, loot is like crack man.

If the possibility of the instantkill is always there, they can't make fights go on forever (fucking million hp bosses), making progress a lot faster, which might mean one less month of your money.

MMOs want the large subscriber base (or now, a large crowd that might be cool with microtransactions) and a game where you could potentially be killed instantly, possibly a lot, just isn't attractive to a loooooot of people. Probably the moajority of MMO players would hate it.

I hear what you're saying about lag. We like to pretend MMOs have evolved but we're just grinding in DX11 now.

The "crack" of any MMORPG should be the community and the friends you make, not the loot. I know, that's truly idealistic and wishful thinking, but MUDs have been that way for years actually. The most popular MUDs usually have a focus on player vs player interaction, not just PvP combat but also PvP politics, etc.

Instakills should only work vs other players in PvP, never during PvE. For instakills to be part of PvP, then we would need real-time combat, because the instakills would require preparation (your opponent having broken legs, or a paralysis affliction, or something). Modern MMORPGs haven't achieved this yet, as we know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.