Which do you prefer: Windows 8 or 7?

• 70 results
Posted by audioBusting (1619 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Which do you prefer: Windows 8 or 7? (364 votes)

Windows 8 31%
Windows 7 59%
Linux 4 Lyf (neutral/show me the results) 10%

There hasn't been any poll on this yet (that I know of), so let's see the public GB opinion: Windows 8 or Windows 7? Let's assume both to be the equal versions, i.e. 64-bit vs 64-bit, standard vs. Home Premium, Pro vs. Ultimate. Everyone seems to like 8 (or at least not hate it) but I want to see numbers.

I'm kinda curious about this because I'm buying a new laptop and I have the option to have either installed for the same price. It's not a touchscreen laptop, so I'm a bit torn. If you have advice specific to my case, please do tell!

#1 Posted by Devildoll (899 posts) -

I think the metro interface is stupid on a desktop computer.

pretty much everything else seems to be the same, or an improvement over 7.
Although i haven't tried to spend any time completely removing the metro interface, i just don't have the time to dig around, and find out what disgusting side effects disabling it might have.

I guess i still prefer windows 7.

#2 Posted by zFUBARz (632 posts) -

only thing that bothers me about 8 is that it doesn't remember my mouse settings when it wakes up from sleep mode so my scroll wheel is constantly set at 1, it's terribly frustrating, but all the same everything else is the same or better.

#3 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2036 posts) -

I almost voted Linux, but then remembered my primary laptop only runs it due to Windows 8 Hyper-V virtualization software so I can't not vote for it. Had a far more productive and overall better time using a virtual machine than dual booting, and I don't think it would've been as optimized as Windows 7 on a free VMWare-type software since Hyper-V isn't available out-of-the-box for Windows 7.

But that's a really specific reason for me to prefer Windows 8. Nevertheless, I am in the minority that actually does like the aesthetic of Metro.

In spite of limited compatibility issues I encountered I thought the aforementioned makes up for it plus some considering my line of work.

#4 Posted by Shibboleth (19 posts) -

I run Windows 8. For the most part I haven't used Metro, but lately I've been trying to use the Netflix app and it's fine. Excluding Metro, Windows 8 is superior to my Windows 7 experience in every way. I would have constant issues with my computer waking up from sleep in Windows 7 at random intervals but with 8 I haven't had that issue once. Also boot times are a lot faster, and file management is smoother.

#5 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

In before people voting who've never used Windows 8 for more than half a second, let alone without any sort of predisposed notion that it's shit.

Windows 8 is just better. Everything is the same or better. Start menu? Never needed it, and easy to replace. It's snappier, looks better, and has a lot of really useful extra features. It's also cheaper. Metro? I never see it, never need to, except in a few cases where I don't mind, like charms. I actually think the new "start" "menu" is slightly more functional than the old one.

@zfubarz said:

only thing that bothers me about 8 is that it doesn't remember my mouse settings when it wakes up from sleep mode so my scroll wheel is constantly set at 1, it's terribly frustrating, but all the same everything else is the same or better.

That sounds more like drivers than the OS.

#6 Posted by audioBusting (1619 posts) -

@equitasinvictus: Is that a Pro-only feature? Looks useful, would be great if I can get that on the standard version.

#7 Posted by Harpell (174 posts) -

While Windows 8 does improve load times for the OS, I still find the stability of Windows 7 to trump it. Also the UI on 8 is completely stupid for desktop computing, or really anything that doesn't incorporate a touchscreen.

Maybe I'm stuck in the past, but a good, old-fashioned start menu is way better than the Start Screen on Windows 8 if you ask me. Sure, you can download a third-party app to give you an approximation of the start menu, but I've seen way too many random issues on 8 for me to trust it over 7.

#8 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2036 posts) -

@audiobusting: I was under the impression all versions of Windows 8 had it innately (I upgraded for real cheap when I had the chance); you just need to go run appwiz.cpl (or find Program and Features in the control panel), look through the admin-protected section "Turn Windows features on or off" and look for then check Hyper-V.

It takes a little while to install the Hyper-V binaries but it straight-up works right after and then you can launch Hyper-V like a normal application and start virtual-machining.

I had a far better experience with Hyper-V than VMWare/Box on Windows 8 so I've been using it regularly since I discovered how to enable and use it.

#9 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2564 posts) -

After all these years, I have my Windows 7 tuned to exactly how I like it (no, no skins or any of that BS, just specific features turned off or on). Because of that, it'd take a significant advance across the board for me to change to any OS let alone one with as many random-ass-changes-that-I-never-wanted as Windows 8.

For now I'm sticking with 7 - maybe 9 will hook me?

#10 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I have really learned to love windows 8, having twitter, email and live news always snapped to the right is really useful. Plus the 40 bucks I paid for a legal copy of windows was great.

#11 Posted by super2j (1733 posts) -

I think the metro interface is stupid on a desktop computer.

pretty much everything else seems to be the same, or an improvement over 7.

Although i haven't tried to spend any time completely removing the metro interface, i just don't have the time to dig around, and find out what disgusting side effects disabling it might have.

I guess i still prefer windows 7.

this

#12 Posted by AlexW00d (6302 posts) -

Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a load of improvements and a start menu that has more uses than just listing programs (a really good search being one of them.)

Anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't used Windows 8.

#13 Posted by LiquidPrince (16009 posts) -

7 mainly because metro isn't used in any way I would find appealing. If you could control it with the 360 controller, that would be a different story.

#14 Posted by Sneeze (90 posts) -

I just downgraded to Windows 7 again, after running 8 for a long time.

It's not that I didn't like Windows 8, after replacing all the metro stuff it was quite nice - but everything (games/browsers/etc) had biiig performance issues.
And without a clear solution for the problems, I finally gave up and went back. (IN TIME!)

#15 Edited by wemibelec90 (1743 posts) -

I do prefer Windows 7, but I do run Windows 8 on my machine (mostly because I have a 64-bit install of it and not of 7). While I find the Metro interface stupid and hope it won't keep being part of Windows OS, I find it perfectly fine otherwise. The new Start screen really isn't that bad, but I hate interfaces that are designed for touch on my computer with a mouse and keyboard (this also means you, Xbox dashboard!).

#16 Edited by CannonGoose (373 posts) -

I chose 8 in the poll but I am actually using 7 at the moment because some utilities don't work with 8 yet.

#17 Posted by jkz (4042 posts) -

8 because I've generally found I get better performance out of it. Able to squeeze more of the CPU into working for music-production software than I could on 7

#18 Posted by Andorski (5343 posts) -

Windows 8. From a technical standpoint, the OS is just all all around better performing OS with the crappy Start Screen Menu. I never see the Start Menu though, so I'm not bothered by it. I use Skip Metro Suite so my PC boots directly to the dashboard (and it also lets me turn off some mouse gestures that I constantly activate by accident). I also use Rocketdock so I can access my most used programs instantly. Any other program that I barely use I activate by hitting the Winkey and typing out the name. So even if I was using Windows 7, I would rarely, if ever, use the old Start Button.

I probably wouldn't upgrade to Win8 on a PC that already had Win7 on it, but if you have a new rig that needs and OS it would be crazy to not buy Windows 8.

#19 Edited by Wuddel (2098 posts) -

I only use Win8 in desktop mode. I only use Chrome, VLC and games on my PC though.

#20 Posted by Snail (8617 posts) -

WINDOWS 8 BOOTS MY COMPUTER IN LIKE 3 SECONDS.

WINDOWS 8.

#21 Posted by GS_Dan (1405 posts) -

I've been running 8 for a few months now. While it has some really nifty stuff in it - the faster boot times and new task manager are lovely, among other things - the fact that I needed to install third party software to fix the GUI is ridiculous. I'm a fucking computer science graduate and it still took me about 10 minutes to figure out how on earth to perform a shutdown.

#22 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

Windows 8 for me, without a doubt. It's faster and improves on a bunch of things that we all actually use (task management, search etc). I think there are absolute legitimate complaints to be made against how opaque some of it's functionality is if you're not used to it (I had to relearn a lot of things to do with navigation etc) but, for me, as someone who took the time to learn how it worked (resisting the "things were better in my day, get off of my yard, I don't like change" attitude) it's just better, faster and more functional.

Again, there are legitimate complaints against it's learning curve, but almost everything is better on 8 if you jump in and learn how to use it.

#23 Posted by Asurastrike (2167 posts) -

Windows 8 boots really fast.

#24 Posted by Korolev (1714 posts) -

Honestly I prefer Windows 7. I have windows 8 on my tablet/ultrabook hybrid, but I still don't use the metro interface. I don't like switching between two screens. Just give me the one screen and desktop shortcuts. I don't need Metro, I resent being forced to use it. Other than Metro, Windows 8 is quite stable, workable, reliable - - but so is Windows 7.

#25 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a load of improvements and a start menu that has more uses than just listing programs (a really good search being one of them.)

Anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't used Windows 8.

This exactly. When Windows Blue (or 8.1, whatever you know it as) hits later this year then there will be absolutely nothing the haters can blindly argue over.

The bottom line is Windows 8 is a better operating system than 7. Do you need the upgrade? Maybe not but that doesn't change the facts.

#26 Posted by audioBusting (1619 posts) -

It's funny how the poll results seem to be the inverse of the forum posts. I ended up going for Windows 8 for my new laptop -- looking forward to using it!

#27 Edited by EXTomar (4843 posts) -

The interface to Windows 8 is just not "quite done yet". There is a general lack of prompts and conveyance where more polish would have helped. If a user needs to go to Google to find out how to control or access features then that is a failure. I can see how this would work better on a laptop with a touch screen but even then there are various inconsistencies where the user is in a mixed mode where they thought they could "touch" when they can't or keyboard navigate when they can't where the correct behavior is to allow both.

#28 Posted by Nightriff (5149 posts) -

7 but 8 isn't the worst thing ever, there are so obvious what the hell were you guys thinking parts of it but you adjust and hope for the best

#29 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4234 posts) -

Windows 8. I have Xbox Music subscription. So I pin the app to the side and play some Meek Mill when I give a shit. Then I load up metrotube, pin that to the side and play giant bomb quick looks while I browsing on the desktop.

W8.1 should be neat. You get it for free if you already bought 8.

#30 Edited by Ben_H (3381 posts) -

Unix based OSes for me (I am content with either Mac OS or some form of Linux). I'm reading a big book on Unix right now and the more I begin to use the Terminal for a lot of things, the less comfortable I get with Windows (not so much comfort, but it just feels less efficient so it bugs me), which is nuts because I have used various flavours of Windows since I was 3 (I started out on 3.1).

As for Windows 7 versus 8, I can't say. I have yet to use 8 for more than 10 minutes. I may give it a go when 8.1 comes out. That actually looks pretty interesting. I'd be interested in seeing how much it improves my boot times. With my new CPU and faster SSD, my desktop boots in 16 seconds with Windows 7. With 8 it might be even less.

#31 Edited by Jams (2962 posts) -

@ben_h said:

Unix based OSes for me (I am content with either Mac OS or some form of Linux). I'm reading a big book on Unix right now and the more I begin to use the Terminal for a lot of things, the less comfortable I get with Windows (not so much comfort, but it just feels less efficient so it bugs me), which is nuts because I have used various flavours of Windows since I was 3 (I started out on 3.1).

As for Windows 7 versus 8, I can't say. I have yet to use 8 for more than 10 minutes. I may give it a go when 8.1 comes out. That actually looks pretty interesting. I'd be interested in seeing how much it improves my boot times. With my new CPU and faster SSD, my desktop boots in 16 seconds with Windows 7. With 8 it might be even less.

I've finally turned my day use computer into arch linux and I've never been happier. I LOVE the terminal too. I wish I could skip using a DE all together like the dos days.

What book are you reading on unix by the way? I've been interested in learning various commands and how to script from books. I only have a linux administration book so far.

Edit: my gaming pc has 8 on an ssd and it boots almost instantly (not counting the bios). I'm left with my jaw dropped every time I start the computer.

#32 Posted by JoeyRavn (4993 posts) -

Windows 8. It performs better than Windows 7, and I actually like the Metro Start Screen. Sue me.

#33 Posted by EXTomar (4843 posts) -

I kind of doubt that in general later versions of software include more features and increase complexity. Win8 does more stuff than Win7 where the platform suddenly didn't find an unused or underused pool of power.

#34 Posted by Ben_H (3381 posts) -

@jams said:

@ben_h said:

I've finally turned my day use computer into arch linux and I've never been happier. I LOVE the terminal too. I wish I could skip using a DE all together like the dos days.

What book are you reading on unix by the way? I've been interested in learning various commands and how to script from books. I only have a linux administration book so far.

Edit: my gaming pc has 8 on an ssd and it boots almost instantly (not counting the bios). I'm left with my jaw dropped every time I start the computer.

The book I am reading right now is actually about using Unix in context to Mac OS (there is a lot of Mac-specific stuff in it), but a fair amount of it transfers over though it probably wouldn't be much use to you. You'd probably be better finding a less specific book (as in, not specialized toward one OS) but more detailed Unix book, which is what my next step is.

#35 Posted by zoozilla (980 posts) -

I kind of want to upgrade to Windows 8, but I don't want to have to re-install everything. Is the "upgrade" option (where it keeps all your files) viable, or will that just make everything really messy?

#36 Posted by shinboy630 (1162 posts) -

Windows 8 + start8 is the best windows to date

#37 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

Windows 8 would be a fine enhancement to 7 if they allow boot to desktop on desktop machines or bolster the app store with replacements for desktop apps. You either live with the crazed hodgepodge of poor planning and an OS with two faces, or you put up with it for the improved features and even further-enhanced slickness in performance.

I guess at least some of those issues will be addressed with Blue, but even still, I'd still take 8 and recommend 7 to the layman not capable of adapting.

#38 Posted by armaan8014 (5416 posts) -

really, metro interface is extremely usable, its no hindrance at all whatsoever. Had Win 8 since launch and after a while of getting used to it, its fast and efficient.

Plus i get to customize and make my desktop look good

Therefore vote -> Win 8

#39 Posted by Bane (428 posts) -

Windows 8 with two exceptions:

• I'd prefer to boot straight to the desktop.
  • Full screen apps are bullshit on a desktop computer.
#40 Posted by audioBusting (1619 posts) -

@ben_h said:

@jams said:

@ben_h said:

The book I am reading right now is actually about using Unix in context to Mac OS (there is a lot of Mac-specific stuff in it), but a fair amount of it transfers over though it probably wouldn't be much use to you. You'd probably be better finding a less specific book (as in, not specialized toward one OS) but more detailed Unix book, which is what my next step is.

Reading the man pages is the old-school and surefire way to learning Unix =D Well, that and Google.

#41 Posted by nutta27 (198 posts) -

Boot Time on Windows 8 is just sooo quick and the metro bullshit doesn't get in the way too much

#42 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

Reading the man pages is the old-school and surefire way to learning Unix =D Well, that and Google.

man pages are a bunch of gibberish ever time. Google definitely helps but Arch Linux has a lot of info on their wiki that's a lot better at explaining how to set things up and how they work. I also have a website bookmarked that's an A-Z index of bash commands for Linux. That has to be my number one. (note) wow it looks like that website has a lot more command's too. Not just for Linux either.

#43 Posted by EXTomar (4843 posts) -

man pages are like "the dictionary" in that they are functional documentation but tell you little about what is used for. Learning how to use these systems just with "man" is like trying to learn English just with Webster's Dictionary.

Back to Win8: One should get the OS they can afford since the cost of the OS is actually one of the more expensive component costs if you can't get it "subsidized" by OEM programs or education or whatever. If one has brand new hardware and can get Win8 cheaper or easier then go for it. If you already have a copy of Win7 lying around or the hardware is older than 2010 you probably want to stick with Win7.

#44 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

I suppose that if i was building a new PC right around now i would go for 8 but on a PC that is already running 7 i can't be bothered to upgrade.

#45 Posted by CaLe (4018 posts) -

After installing some start menu software 8 is basically 7 with faster boot-ups and better file management stuff. Thus, 8 is better.

#46 Posted by Gmanall (1683 posts) -

Metro makes me wanna touch my non-touchscreen laptop, but other then that it's not that bad.

#47 Edited by Kung_Fu_Viking (713 posts) -

Windows 8 is just Windows 7 but faster, with a nicer visual style and some other UI/functional improvements. The start screen makes literally no difference to my day-to-day usage of my PC; I still hit the Windows key and type to search, I still hit the Windows key and click on icons to load stuff not pinned to my taskbar.

If you're being given the option between Windows 7 and Windows 8, go for Windows 8 of course. It's the latest iteration of the software and, despite what needlessly angry people on the internet say, you don't lose out on anything by going with 8.

#48 Posted by geirr (2637 posts) -

I've used W8 since it's launch and after removing the Metro stuff and putting the start menu back in it's been great.

@cale said:

After installing some start menu software 8 is basically 7 with faster boot-ups and better file management stuff. Thus, 8 is better.

Also this

#49 Posted by Slaegar (726 posts) -

Windows 8 is technically an improvement over Windows 7. The part where a user has to sit in front of it sucks, though. So I'm sticking with Windows 7 until they give up on Windows Media Center 2.0.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.