Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Which Gaming Keyboard should I buy. (On a budget(kind of))

Notaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Notaku

I haven't had a gaming keyboard since the ZBoard by Steelseries. With the Wrath of the Lich King keyset among others, and it was fantastic. The middle bits were admittedly a bit bonkers, but I've been using a cheapy little Onn keyboard I got for 10$ and just got a second computer(for the secondary computer I just bought the Logitech K120 which is 4$ more and miles better than the Onn for 10$(yuck)). So just wondering what keyboard would be good, not too expensive, I'm not as worried about how amazingly fast it will be since I won't be using it for competition or anything, just something that will give me a better game experience.

Was looking at the Deathstalker by Razer, the only thing I don't know if I will like about it are the chiclet style membrane keys. I don't know if I've ever used a keyboard like it before, but it's not too expensive and it is a "gaming keyboard". I am looking for something that isn't too noisy, and maybe something with RGB adjustable leds. Not that I want it to be super glowy and showy over performance, most things I get are Logitech and I love them to pieces for their performance, but every once in a while I'd like something that also looks nice setting by my computer when I'm not directly using it.

The second computer I got is an Alpha, which I've never really owned an Alienware before, my main rig is custom built. So you can understand where the urge for glowy bits might come into it.

TL;DR: Looking for a good gaming keyboard, not for competition, and something a bit flashy but I'd prefer performance over showy parts. Price is kind of an object but I'm not against saving up for something that will be worth it. It's for a secondary computer though so I probably won't spend top-of-the-line money on it.

Happy Holidays,

-Notaku

Burt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you said something that's back lit i thought of the corsair k70,but its expensive, around £100 I think. ( and £140 for the fully customizable rgb version )

I've got the corsair vengence k65, and I like it. Buts it not to flashy, and has pretty loud mx red keys. And no lights.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have a non RGB K70 and I love it to bits. It's definitely classy looking rather than flashy - look at the new Logitech G910 in comparison. That thing looks like a toy.

I've also got a Steelseries 6GV2 which is a bit of a plain Jane (I've swapped the keys for bright blue ones on mine though) but it's a great keyboard and about half the price of the Corsair.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

What is your actual budget? If you can spring for it get a mechanical, you won't look back.

Ducky are a fantastic brand and their Zero line is cheap if you don't want flashy lights.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By winsord

I'd say steer clear of Razer, their stuff is usually overpriced and not very reliable. An actual dollar range would be helpful too for giving suggestions, but I realize you might just not know. As far as "best bang for your buck" goes, I really think the Logitech G510s is a good pick. If you're willing to spend more and get a mechanical keyboard, the Das 4 Ultimate is really great and it looks pretty nice too. For an alternative mechanical, Logitech put out the G910 "Orion Spark" not too long ago, and while I haven't used it I've only heard good things about it (except for its looks, because boy is it ugly, though it is better if you take off the wrist-rest at the bottom).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I just bought a Logitech G710+ and it's great but I got it on a good sale and I don't know how much its normal price is.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Corsair K70 ia great for a mechanical keyboard. I've head good things about the CoolerMaster mechanical keyboards as well.

I would also check out WASD Keyboards. They aren't flashy, but the quality is outstanding. You can also customize everything on them. Probably the best keyboards on the market that I've seen.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hardywells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hardywells
    Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jorbit

@thenine said:

When you said something that's back lit i thought of the corsair k70,but its expensive, around £100 I think. ( and £140 for the fully customizable rgb version )

I've got the corsair vengence k65, and I like it. Buts it not to flashy, and has pretty loud mx red keys. And no lights.

I thought MX Reds were the quietest? Or do you mean they're relatively loud compared to other MX Reds?

Burt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunnington: I'm basing the noise compared to my macbook, not had any experience with any other type of switches or keyboards, although if reds are the quietest i'm glad that's what I've got.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jorbit

@thenine: MX Blues have a very loud audible "click" and you can feel a bump when you press them half-way. MX Browns have the bump but are about as quiet as Mx Reds. MX Reds have no bump and no loud noise. Gamers tend to prefer MX Reds, especially if they use voice chat. But yeah, chances are your keyboard is actually one of the quieter of the mechanical keyboards.

Avatar image for fissionmailed10
    FissionMailed10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Go mechanical, my wife hates it because it's loud but it feels so good.

tecgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tecgeek

@notaku:CORSAIR STRAFE mechanical gaming keyboard is a budget option. what makes it impressive is Cherry MX switches.

https://www.cuou.net/best-budget-gaming-keyboard.html

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A someone who is getting a Corsair K70 Mk2 (with Silent switches) later this year, maybe look at a first gen Strafe with either Cherry MX red or silent switches for $70 [on Corsair's site at the time of me posting this]?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.