Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Which graphics card should I get?

hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By hakooon

I'm gonna have some money in my hands soon, and I'm thinking about getting a new graphics card. I currently have a GTX 275, and performance in Bad Company 2 is pretty bad. I run that game at medium/low settings, with DirectX dropped to version 9 to get the smoothness I need when playing an FPS.

I've been looking at both the HD 5850 and the HD 5870, and I can't decide if it's worth the extra money for the 5870. I know that the 5850 not a whole lot faster than my gtx 275, but it supports DirectX 11 and all that jazz, which makes games like BC2 run much smoother. The Nvidia Fermi cards seem to cost a lot more and have high power usage and heating issues. I have the core i7 920 CPU and 6gb RAM, so I just want a good graphics card that will support future games like Deus Ex 3 at high or maxed graphics.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Gav47
    @hakooon:
    Screen Resolution? Also if you getting the performance you want at the minute buy your new card when Deus Ex 3 comes out, I'll guess ATi will be well into their 6000 cards by then.
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By monetarydread

I say to go with a Nvidia card. U mentioned heat issues and power usage, but right now the best card for price vs. performance is the GTX 460. You can buy one for two hundred and if you double up it is 26% faster than a GTX 480 which is faster than a 5770. 

Edit: Link to proof of what I'm saying.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ectoplasma
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2010-gaming-graphics-charts-high-quality/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2,2237.html  

Honestly, I think u should be able to run BBC2 fine. You should tweak around with the settings a little it might just be one option that messes everything up. Like, did u try to disable Vsync? That's mad important. I have a 4890 and a Phenom x4 so same GFX but worse CPU and it runs very well (I'm VERY senstive to fps issues!). I would say, double check your settings. Role your highest gfx drivers up again (and latest dx!!) and look for some tweaking guides, think of other issues like windows or hard drive related stuff. And wait, get a new GFX card in a year or so.  

Well I just checked my BBC2 install and I have very strange settings. 1650x1080, first 2 things high, second 2 things medium, Vsync ON and HBAO off. So HBAO is one of those things u should turn off. Still try to turn Vsync off and also try to go down to 1650x1080, maybe that might help.
    hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hakooon
    @Gav47 said:

" @hakooon: Screen Resolution? Also if you getting the performance you want at the minute buy your new card when Deus Ex 3 comes out, I'll guess ATi will be well into their 6000 cards by then. "

My resolution is 1920x1200. I'm not getting the performance I want in Bad Company 2.

@ectoplasma:
    I know I should be able to run it fine, but it's not for some reason. I have tried to mess around with all the settings, and read countless optimization guides with no luck. Both HBAO and Vsync are turned off. I don't want to lower the resolution, because then the game looks kinda blurry and messed up on my 24'' widescreen monitor. 

I remember reading a lot about other Nvidia GTX 2xx users having similar problems with FPS back when I was reading the official forums.

Thanks for trying to help though.  

@MonetaryDread

said:

" I say to go with a Nvidia card. U mentioned heat issues and power usage, but right now the best card for price vs. performance is the GTX 460. You can buy one for two hundred and if you double up it is 26% faster than a GTX 480 which is faster than a 5770. 

Edit: Link to proof of what I'm saying.

"
    Well, that actually looks very interesting. I'm not sure if my power supply is good enough for two of those cards in SLI. I have a Corsair 750w PSU that says it's "ready for SLI and Crossfire". It's another question if it's ready for two Fermi cards though. Got any opinion on that?
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SlasherMan
    @hakooon: Something's wrong on your end if you're getting bad performance in BFBC2. There is definitely no need to upgrade at all with the hardware you have. Heck, I'm running the game with a single 8800GT and a 3Ghz C2D and I don't have any performance issues. 
    In fact, I benched it back when the game was released and got 30/60/45 (min/max/avg) according to Fraps on medium-high settings, HBAO and V-Sync turned off, running in DX9 at 1920*1080. So, you definitely don't lack the hardware to run the game well.

I'd look at a solution elsewhere. Could be a driver issue, or spyware/malware hampering performance, or any other kind of software conflict.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat

750W should be enough for 2x GTX460. I recently replaced my 8800GTX with a 1GB GTX460 (rather than the 768MB version) and it's been great so far. The low power draw and low temps compared to the other fermi cards is very appealing.

hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hakooon
    @SlasherMan: 
    I've upgraded the drivers several times since I installed BC2, and if it's spyware/malware it's weird that it only affects BC2. I've tried reinstalling the game as well. 
    You might have the wrong idea of what FPS I consider to be smooth enough in a first person shooter. I can easily get an average of 50 fps on high settings, but sometimes when there are many things happening it can dip below that and down to about 35-40. Even at 50 fps I notice that the game is a little "choppy" here and there, and I don't get the fluidity I want.
     I'm looking for a graphics solution that keeps me steady over 60 fps at preferably high to maxed settings.
    hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hakooon
    @AlisterCat said:
    " 750W should be enough for 2x GTX460. I recently replaced my 8800GTX with a 1GB GTX460 (rather than the 768MB version) and it's been great so far. The low power draw and low temps compared to the other fermi cards is very appealing. "
    Sweet! Looks like I might get 2x GTX460 then! Seems like they blow everything else out of the water at that price really.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By SlasherMan
    @hakooon: Hmm... That still seems pretty weird to me that it would drop that low. That can't be right.

But it's pretty obvious we might have different standards when it comes to acceptable FPS in a shooter. Obviously, a steady 60 at all times is optimal, but a few drops here and there don't really annoy me and don't really affect my own performance in the game.

Did you try it with HBAO turned off?
    hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hakooon
    @SlasherMan: 
    Yeah, I've tried with HBAO both on and off, no difference really.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Two gtx460 1gb = $250X 2 = $500 = more powerful than a gtx 480 = a bit overpowered.  

then again one gtx480 1g = gtx275, gtx280 in power, so not alot of difference from what you got, only now your using it in sli  

A hd5870 = slightly less powerful than gtx480 = $430 

I would go with nvidia, however it's just something to think about.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Funzzo

get 3 nvidia 480s. Tri-SLI.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Funzzo: They won't let you tri sli that card unfortunetly, or else everyone will just buy that instead. Something to do with the sli bridge or whatever ( I don't use sli) you can only use two of those cards.
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By monetarydread
    @HitmanAgent47: 
    You can't tri-sli the 460's, but you can tri-sli the 480's - if you have the money to buy em.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hakooon
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Two gtx460 1gb = $250X 2 = $500 = more powerful than a gtx 480 = a bit overpowered.  

then again one gtx480 1g = gtx275, gtx280 in power, so not alot of difference from what you got, only now your using it in sli  

A hd5870 = slightly less powerful than gtx480 = $430 

I would go with nvidia, however it's just something to think about.

"
    Yeah, I think I've got my mind set on 2x GTX460 :)

@Funzzo said:
    " get 3 nvidia 480s. Tri-SLI. "

That's a lot of money wasted right there! :P

@teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @hakooon:  

Take a look at benchmarks of Sapphire Toxic 5850 2GB -- it has a custom cooler, is pre-overclocked and comes with 2gb of memory.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=940&page=15 "

Looks like a good card, but here in Norway that card costs the same as an HD 5870, which is faster.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @hakooon said:

"
    Looks like a good card, but here in Norway that card costs the same as an HD 5870, which is faster. "

You mean it costs as much as a 2GB 5870?  Weird.  BTW, from what I read it runs a bit cooler under load and is a bit quieter than the stock card...but that may not be worth the extra cash.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I don't recommend a hd5850, for what it cost in the states, it's too much for a card incapable of physX. Still 2 gtx460 1gb will give you alot of power. Somewhere inbetween a gtx480 and hd5970.

hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hakooon
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @hakooon said:

"
    Looks like a good card, but here in Norway that card costs the same as an HD 5870, which is faster. "

You mean it costs as much as a 2GB 5870?  Weird.  BTW, from what I read it runs a bit cooler under load and is a bit quieter than the stock card...but that may not be worth the extra cash. "
    It costs as much as a 1GB 5870, which is still much faster than the 2GB 5850. 

@HitmanAgent47:
    Yeah, all that power is tempting. Reeeal tempting! I WANT MORE POWER!!!
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Driadon
    @hakooon: Go for those 2 GTX 460's. It's easily the best value-per-frame set up you can get for some high end graphics. Hell, check out this review
    hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hakooon
    @Driadon:
    Damn, they really wiped the floor with the dual 5850's there! Awesome stuff! And I didn't even know about these babies before starting this thread, thinking that the 5850 and 5870 was the best bang for the buck! Sweet! :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.