Which monitor is better(for gaming)

#1 Edited by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

24" BenQ XL2411T or 23" Dell U2312HM UltraSharp? for games like bf4. should i take the IPS monitor(dell) with better colors?(but it has 8ms response time) or the benq monitor for better response time and more hz?(but it has worse colors)

#2 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

If you play casually you wont care for the response time. Also IPS panels have great qualities for everything else (graphics design, better ergonomics for the stand: can move the panel in every way)

#3 Posted by ascagnel (74 posts) -

0.008s response time should be enough for gaming -- a single frame is on screen for 0.06s at 60FPS. Check for ghosting if you're worried.

IPS is also beautiful to look at. Go with it and every other screen will be crap.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6182 posts) -

If you have the rig to push 120fps then the BenQ is quite clearly the winner.

#5 Posted by OldGuy (1511 posts) -

The Dell Ultrasharp line are some of the best looking monitors I've laid eyes on (and I've never seen ghosting problems with them). I'd go with that.

#6 Edited by zenmastah (874 posts) -

The Dell one is really good for gaming and movies, the only downside is that it can come with some severe IPS glow so do take advantage of the Dell return policy if the glow gets too distracting.

#7 Posted by 6n00bkilla9 (149 posts) -

omg go with the 120hz you will never ever regret it. trust me.

#8 Posted by 6n00bkilla9 (149 posts) -

omg go with the 120hz you will never ever regret it. trust me.

#9 Posted by Devildoll (877 posts) -

@ascagnel said:

0.008s response time should be enough for gaming -- a single frame is on screen for 0.06s at 60FPS. Check for ghosting if you're worried.

IPS is also beautiful to look at. Go with it and every other screen will be crap.

6 ms (time per frame) x 60 (frames per second) = 360 ms

yo thats supposed to 60 fps , meaning it should total up to 1000 ms.
one frame @60 fps is actually 16 ms, so that makes the Dell screen even more feasible, the way you are reasoning at least.

Although, when that frame pops up on the screen, it would be nice if it was 1 ms old, instead of 8 ms old.

You cant really buy a screen just by its specs anyway, they may claim 8, while the screen is sluggish as hell.
It's always best to read a review, where they test for responsiveness.

to get an ips or 120 hzer, comes down to what you are looking for, do you want the game to look good. or do you want a more responsive, more actual screen.

If all you do is play battlefield 3 multiplayer, IPS might not be the way to go, since all you'll ever see on that thing is beautiful looking players shooting you in the head before you shoot them.If you tend to play less twitch focused experiences, then IPS might be the thing for you.

#10 Posted by Korwin (2825 posts) -

The thing that matters above all else is input latency, all the low repsonse time in the world wont mean a thing if you're playing with over 1 frame latency. The 2312HM is damn near perfect in that department and receives my vote. The BenQ is pretty responsive aswell and is miles ahead of most screens but there just isn't any comparing it's 5.6ms latency with the Dells 0.6 ms.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm

#11 Posted by Korwin (2825 posts) -

The thing that matters above all else is input latency, all the low repsonse time in the world wont mean a thing if you're playing with over 1 frame latency. The 2312HM is damn near perfect in that department and receives my vote. The BenQ is pretty responsive aswell and is miles ahead of most screens but there just isn't any comparing it's 5.6ms latency with the Dells 0.6 ms.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm

#12 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Go with the monitor with the better black levels.

Black levels > everything else. It's not fun playing a dark game with poor black levels as it all turns to a grey mush when darkness fills most of the screen. I have upgraded TVs because it had the habit of ruining movies. (night time scenes, basically anything like that looks poor on cheaper monitors and tvs)

Basically once you've seen a good plasma screen with amazing black levels it makes a lot of monitors look like ass. I really need to upgrade this thing sometime.

edit: and latency is something people worry too much about, the only games where latency is particularly important are fighting and rhythm games. You will not notice the difference between 0.8 and 4ms unless you film it with a high speed camera.

#13 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

@sooty said:

Black levels > everything else. It's not fun playing a dark game with poor black levels as it all turns to a grey mush when darkness fills most of the screen. I have upgraded TVs because it had the habit of ruining movies. (night time scenes, basically anything like that looks poor on cheaper monitors and tvs)

Basically once you've seen a good plasma screen with amazing black levels it makes a lot of monitors look like ass. I really need to upgrade this thing sometime.

edit: and latency is something people worry too much about, the only games where latency is particularly important are fighting and rhythm games. You will not notice the difference between 0.8 and 4ms unless you film it with a high speed camera.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's really anal about black levels. I really hate the gray, pixelated mess that black tends to turn into.

#14 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@sooty said:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's really anal about black levels. I really hate the gray, pixelated mess that black tends to turn into.

I bought two cheap HDTVs to begin with and oh my god the black levels were so bad, I hated them for years, finally upgraded to a Panasonic plasma last year and sweet baby jesus, this thing looks like it isn't turned on where as the other two were just a grey mess! I winced every time a night time scene came on.

#15 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@sooty said:

I bought two cheap HDTVs to begin with and oh my god the black levels were so bad, I hated them for years, finally upgraded to a Panasonic plasma last year and sweet baby jesus, this thing looks like it isn't turned on where as the other two were just a grey mess! I winced every time a night time scene came on.

#16 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

@sooty said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@sooty said:

Yeah, my old TV kept me from enjoying Horror stuff as much because just....holy hell. I have a 50 inch Insignia now and the black levels are so much nicer.,

#17 Posted by Andorski (5189 posts) -

@korwin said:

Definitely recommend TFT Central for monitor reviews. That and Prad.de are my most trusted sites for monitor research.

If your PC can handle +60fps and are looking for a monitor that will help give you the edge on compitive multiplayer games, then you should get the BenQ XL2411T. Gaming on 120Hz monitors is great, particularly for FPS games. The smoothness of all the movement helps to better visualize all the chaos that's happening in battle and lets you target your opponent with greater accuracy. What you lose though is color reproduction. If you are coming from using another TN panel than the poor image quality might not bother you. For myself who got use to using IPS panels, the bad color accuracy and poor blacks was enough for me to return my Asus VG248QE.

If you plan on taking the IPS route, I would recommend getting the Dell U2412M. The input lag is low relative to other IPS monitors and there is only slight negative ghosting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.