Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Who's still raging against Windows 8.1?

• 80 results
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#1  Edited By Kidavenger

I've been using it for a week now, I didn't have any severe problems with windows 8, but I never turn my PC off so I rarely ever saw metro as it was.

8.1 seems to have fixed everything people were complaining about (though some of the fixes require some digging)

I deleted every metro app from my start screen and populated it with the desktop apps I use, most of them are pinned to the taskbar anyway, but I really can't see anyone having any legitimate reason to complain about 8 anymore.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I couldn't see any legitimate reasons for complaining about 8 prior to this tbh, other than complaining for the sake of complaining.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

8.1 seems fine to me. I don't like the metro apps though. That whole stuff is for tablets and phones and it should stay there. I can't comprehend who though that snap and metro apps is something for PC users. As long as I can stick to the desktop everything is fine.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By monetarydread

@jgf said:

8.1 seems fine to me. I don't like the metro apps though. That whole stuff is for tablets and phones and it should stay there. I can't comprehend who though that snap and metro apps is something for PC users. As long as I can stick to the desktop everything is fine.

My mom likes those apps. If she wants to see the weather, all she has to do is click the giant weather button. If she wants to view the news, she just clicks the giant news button. She likes the fact that the apps are full-screen because it prevents needless confusion on her part. Sure, the idea of holding your mouse to each corner to navigate hidden features is too complex, but overall, its a great feature for someone who isn't used to the way things were and does not care to learn.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I still think the way you activate charms and look at the list of apps open is stupid with the mouse. I thought Windows 8 overall was a good enough upgrade from 7 and 8.1 is a good for something that's free.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: I honestly think your mom would be more happy using an tablet. What you describe is the perfect use case for it. Of course if you already have a pc and don't want to buy a tablet, I can see the appeal of the optional "mom view"of windows 8 ;)

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yep I agree

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine. I use start8 anyway to reduce me ever having to see metro. I ended up having to log in locally with my microsoft account to get GFWL to work so I could play dark souls. It was just gettig a weird cryptic error if I didn't. And it is very not obvious that you have to do that. Very strange.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still raging against Windows ME, never mind 8.1.

Only half-joking... using VMs means reliving some painful times.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Is there something special I need to do to get 8.1? I keep checking for updates but nothing ever comes down.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@crusader8463: You have to be up to date, registered with your MS login, and you update through the Windows App Store. You should see the 8.1 advertisement on the left. Takes like 2 hours. And it looks nice.

No Caption Provided

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Not raging as much as undefeatable feelings of complete indifference. Come back to me when there is actually any point to switching from 7.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: indeed. I'm sure windows 8 is just fine... But so is windows 7, and that's what I've got.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgf said:

@monetarydread: I honestly think your mom would be more happy using an tablet. What you describe is the perfect use case for it. Of course if you already have a pc and don't want to buy a tablet, I can see the appeal of the optional "mom view"of windows 8 ;)

I have tried to get her to buy a tablet, but according to her, "the PC we have is good enough." The only way she is getting a tablet is when her PC starts dying on her in five years, or when I can afford to buy one for her.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By EXTomar

Looking at the recent threads for the last couple of days I have to wonder why bring this up? No one was "raging" or even mentioning Windows 8 or 8.1. The people who cared took the steps they needed to have the system they wanted.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I haven't seen anyone raging against it in a while, in fact I haven't heard anyone talking about Windows 8 at all. That's the real problem for Microsoft.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07: Thanks. I never touch that metro ui junk so I never would have looked there. What an ass backwards place to hide an update.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a problem with it but I haven't been on a PC in years so I missed 7. Took me a few days to get used to but I like it.

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

What's to hate when it can do things like this?

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main reason I'm upset is that Windows 8 requires drivers be signed in order to install them. This causes a ton of nightmares with hobbyist electronics that don't have driver signatures. I'm also developing drivers for a product at work and it's a nightmare to troubleshoot this. The process to disable signature enforcement suuuuucks, and what's worse is that they rearranged a lot of the options in 8.1, so I can't have a universal walk-through for my clients in disabling it.

Requiring users log into the Windows App Marketplace to install 8.1 is really shady and it's obvious that they want people to use the store, despite there being absolutely no reason to. Overall, I don't have too many problems with 8.1 from a usability standpoint. I boot to the desktop and the only time I ever hit the start screen is to search for a program.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

updated to 8.1, had to go back to 8.0 cause i was having driver issues. I'll probably update again at some point.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@tobbrobb: indeed. I'm sure windows 8 is just fine... But so is windows 7, and that's what I've got.

Windows 8 boots up, entirely, in about three seconds on my desktop. Windows 7 took about five times that to boot up (at least). It's a great feeling, turning on your computer and not having to wait.

Also it looks, like, infinitely nicer than 7.

That may or may not be worth the current (normal) price for you, but it was definitely worth that initial discounted price they offered until the end of last year or whatever it was.

And yes it's fine.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8.1 fixed what little issues I had with 8

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Justin258

@snail said:
    @toowalrus said:

Windows 8 boots up, entirely, in about three seconds on my desktop. Windows 7 took about five times that to boot up (at least). It's a great feeling, turning on your computer and not having to wait.

Also it looks, like, infinitely nicer than 7.

That may or may not be worth the current (normal) price for you, but it was definitely worth that initial discounted price they offered until the end of last year or whatever it was.

And yes it's fine.

Pretty much this. Windows 8 just feels faster and snappier than 7 all-around, a feat I didn't think possible but it does. The difference isn't so huge that I couldn't go back to Windows 7, but it's a nice and noticeable one.

EDIT: And if you have to get 8.1 through Metro and you have to sign up with a Microsoft account, then I'm probably not going to bother unless forced.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By FLStyle

There's a Window 8 now? I'm still rocking XP.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crusader8463

Fuck windows 8.1. I literally just got done the nightmare of trying to install it and everyone involved can go fuck themselves. Took two hours to install, then the system rebooted, hung for another hour until it finally told me that it had to crash and restart, then it was stuck at the windows loading screen for another hour never loading. 4 hours later I finally get fed up with the goddamn thing and just shutdown the PC and walk away before I threw the damn thing out the window in frustration. Turned it back on to try and give it another go before offing myself and it just popped up a window that said sorry your PC is fucked. Our bad. Lets just delete this update and pretend it didn't happen. Now I'm back to windows 8.0 and wishing it would roll back once more and let me have Windows 7 back.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There wasn't anything to complain about with 8 and 8.1 just adds a lot of cool things. Although I am a little pissed that my virtual router connection doesn't work, it's not a biggie because I have data on my phone.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck windows 8.1. I literally just got done the nightmare of trying to install it and everyone involved can go fuck themselves. Took two hours to install, then the system rebooted, hung for another hour until it finally told me that it had to crash and restart, then it was stuck at the windows loading screen for another hour never loading. 4 hours later I finally get fed up with the goddamn thing and just shutdown the PC and walk away before I threw the damn thing out the window in frustration. Turned it back on to try and give it another go before offing myself and it just popped up a window that said sorry your PC is fucked. Our bad. Lets just delete this update and pretend it didn't happen. Now I'm back to windows 8.0 and wishing it would roll back once more and let me have Windows 7 back.

We are discussing Windows 8.1, not its installation process and any possible caveats (that you seem to have experienced exclusively). Have you trying googling this issue?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

I guess I won't update then. Seems like a pain

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By AndrewB

I appreciate Windows 8 and 8.1 for the improvements that they have made to the desktop environment. As much I would like to see the "metro" / touch-friendly apps become successful, the fact that they haven't has left me never ever using the touch-friendly environment that is the Start screen which Microsoft is pushing for the future. However, even with the option to switch back to Windows 7, the fact remains that 8.1 is more feature-rich and desirable on the desktop side than any prior version, and so I'll be keeping it.

As the owner of a Windows (8) phone, seeing how beautiful and how much sense the UI makes for a touch environment does make me sad that particular aspect hasn't caught on, and makes me wish Microsoft had held off on splitting off the old and the new ways of interfacing with computers.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

On top of the driver issues, I guess 8.1 has caused a few terrible issues with users? Or so I've heard through word of mouth. I'm waiting it out for a little while before updating

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never had a problem with Windows 8 or 8.1. Then again I don't use the stupid ass metro tiles or the crappy store.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By metal_mills

I just see ab absolutely no reason to buy 8. I'm buying a new PC and putting 7 right back on that bad boy.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Mavericks is better.

shabador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shabador

@chiablo: A heads up: you can do that permanently by enabling testmode. Scroll to the bottom of this page.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jdh5153

I love Metro apps and the whole start screen. The desktop was always ugly and I hated looking at it. I haven't booted to Windows since 8.1 launched though, probably won't upgrade for awhile.

And yes, Mavericks is better, which is why I haven't been booting to Windows.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Windows 8.1 = Making Windows 8 a little less terrible. (its still terrible)

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in a constant Rage Against my windows Machine

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vackillers: What OS are you using? Even if you don't consider it to be a significant upgrade over 7 it's hard to argue that it's not the best version of windows unless you're a crazy person.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Do explain why, please.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By viking_funeral

I just don't see a point in upgrading from Windows 7.

That pop-up window that was called Metro isn't doing it any favors, but I'm sure I could live with it if I had to. (Edit) Actually, I can see Metro being a complete pain in the ass if our company had to adopt Windows 8 on all our machines. What a nightmare that would be.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EXTomar

There are reports that 8.1 has broken a lot of things including many interface and output. Something about how resolution is handled from physical to display messing up both. If your mouse stopped working and your display is all messed up, it is all due to 8.1.

I can't believe Microsoft has found a way to make Apple's arrogance and arbitrary decisions a possitve.

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KirillOrlov

Only thing bothering me is Bluetooth connectivity with a speaker I have in my living room. After the update I can still pair put it won't connect to the speaker at all. I uninstalled Bluetooth audio drivers and reinstalled updated ones but still have the same issue.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For people saying they don't see a reason to upgrade, Win 8 runs faster than 7. So if you want to run as absolutely fast as possible 8 is the best option. If that doesn't matter stick to 7.

@extomar said:

There are reports that 8.1 has broken a lot of things including many interface and output. Something about how resolution is handled from physical to display messing up both. If your mouse stopped working and your display is all messed up, it is all due to 8.1.

I can't believe Microsoft has found a way to make Apple's arrogance and arbitrary decisions a possitve.

kosayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kosayn

They ought to just push 8.1 through Windows Update, but perhaps it's still too buggy for that? Anyway, the people complaining about having no Start button and giving the OS a bad name are not spending any time in the Metro app menu, let alone registered to use the Store.

I enjoy 8, but only after heavy modification to be basically 7 with better security, stability and startup times. I barely used the start menu even when I was an XP holdout.

Some people really do well with the touch interface on Win8 actually, with touchscreen laptops like the little Lenovos. But almost all laptop touchpads have been a total shitshow this year. Both the Win8 software gestures, the larger pads, and low hardware quality actively get in the way of people just moving and clicking normally. I think the press-to-click pad that Apple uses is probably something the PC OEMs should use as well if they can, to stop accidental clicks while typing. Average computer users do not deal well with small, constant frustrations in their controls, that stuff is fundamental. It's the same situation as the Ouya pad.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@flstyle said:

There's a Window 8 now? I'm still rocking XP.

You goddamn hipster!

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Metro tiles really do work great for a living room machine. You know, until SteamOS gets here.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bluetooth was broken in Windows 8 for me. 8.1 fixed it, now I can use my wireless keyboard again -- that's a win. Other than that, nothing seems particularly noteworthy about the update.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.