Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Why are PC versions often cheaper?

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Nate

Just looking at the Assassin's Creed II pre-order from Gamestop (yes, I might actually pre-order my first game) and noticed that the PC version is 49.99 while others are 59.99. Then I realized I've been seeing an awful lot of that for a long time and wondered - why? I'm sure there's a perfectly logical explanation, I'm just not in the know.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

Very simple answer. 

When a publisher puts out a console game, they must pay Sony/MS/Nintendo etc an (average) fee of $8 per disc. Once you remove this fee, and adjust the percentages that everyone else takes appropriately, the game ends up roughly $10 cheaper than the console counterpart.
    Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nate
    @The_A_Drain: Okay, so basically PC is more of an open platform that you don't have to pay anyone to develop a game or other software for? I figured it was something like that.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain

Essentially yes, but I thought I would explain why the console version is more expensive. You don't have to pay anything to anybody, nor get anybodies permission to develop or publish for the PC (except local authority regulations that need to be met for publishing) Whereas consoles you not only have to go through lengthy and difficult screening processes, but you have to pay fees for the privelage.  

This is also why console manufacturers love having 3rd party exclusives, or big selling franchises, because each disc sold nets them $8, so Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, etc are also making millions off big franchises like Call of Duty and Guitar Hero, as well as there own product.
    Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nate
    @The_A_Drain: Cool, thanks for the info.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.