Why Can't I Buy a Mouse?

#1 Posted by Chrjz (338 posts) -

Some force is stopping me from buying a mouse. I'm looking for something wired that I will be able to use for games.

It seems like every time I pick a mouse I read something that turns me off it and I keep searching.

First I thought I wanted a SteelSeries Ikari... Then a G9x, or maybe a G500. The R.A.T. 7 looks cool.

Any tips or recommendations?

#2 Posted by Snail (8659 posts) -

Well, I'd recommend an Ikari or a G9x, so maybe you can start by telling us why don't you want any of those mice?

The R.A.T. 7 is pretentious, and probably overpriced though.

#3 Posted by RawknRo11a (568 posts) -

I'm pretty happy with my Razer Abyssus Nothing fancy but it's comfy and gets the job done...

#4 Posted by Sliced_Bread (148 posts) -

I have a RAT 7 and before that a MX518. Both are great mice, super comfortable. The RAT is rather heavy though.

#5 Posted by Stonyman65 (2861 posts) -

Logitech MX518, Logitech G500.

I like the old Razer Diamondback and Copperhead, but I found that after long gaming sessions my hand would cramp up. After switching to the MX518, I don't have the problem anymore. Now, Razer mice feel downright small in my hand. Too small. I guess you could say I'm a Logitech convert.

The G500 is $40 on amazon. You can't beat that. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Programmable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002J9GDXI/ref=pd_sim_e_7

#6 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Logitech G400. I have one and love it. It's the new version of the much-loved MX518 and it's worked just great so far.

#7 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

I don't have any recommendations for a mouse, but I would recommend this: pick something you think you might like, buy it from Amazon and try it out for a week or two. Their return policy is excellent.

#8 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

I've used a Razer Deathadder quite a bit and I like it. Yeah the lights are pretty dumb and it looks weird. But it feels comfortable, I like the scroll wheel feel, it's super precise and has 1khz polling (1ms response time). I don't know about newer versions but mine has a 2 position dpi switch and it stores a sensitivity setting. I don't use the Razer software anymore but when I did it seemed alright.

EDIT: just saw they offer a "black" version now without the dumb lights.

#9 Posted by Winsord (1298 posts) -

I have a Razer and I'd say stay away. Bad product support and bad customer support; if it works as intended it's great, but I've had major issues with both of the Razer mice I've owned and they couldn't care less (as well as hearing many similar stories from other power users). Just yesterday I was looking at the R.A.T 7 and it seems great; I like my mouse super sensitive so 6400dpi is really appealing. From both people on the GiantBomb and Tested staff have I heard great things about the R.A.T mice. My only concern with the R.A.T series is how that thing would actually feel in your hand, depending on if you're a claw or palm user. Logitech also always has quality products, so even if you didn't end up with the most amazing mouse in the world, it'd still be priced well and well supported. So while I'd personally go for the R.A.T, I'd mainly just recommend keeping away from Razer products.

#10 Posted by Chrjz (338 posts) -

I'm leaning towards a Logitech but I'm not sure which one (G400 vs G500?). I can't even remember what turned me off one mouse or another; I have just read horror stories on just about every mouse and I'm looking for something with solid construction.

I am not a fan of Razer products at all.

#11 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -

I like my G9x, although I don't think I really needed to buy it. Looks cool and is comfy, though!

#12 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

I have this one, its cheap and the 3 customizable sensitivity settings are awesome.

But you should buy this one because I think its hilarious.

#13 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

My Razer Imperator is doing fine. It was a slight upgrade from my old MX518 from 2006. I switched because I had too many Logitech devices on one computer and apparently some sort of software/driver conflict arose and randomly started resetting my DPI settings every few minutes. Now I use a different brand for everything and haven't had issues since.

I recommend going with a resolution of at least 6400 DPI, and setting your windows cursor and game sensitivity lower. This allows for smoother panning in first/third person games than your standard low DPI and high sensitivity. Other than that it's all about having enough buttons and having the right grip so you can reach the thumb buttons. I also wouldn't recommend a laser mouse since those require specific surfaces (my laser Logitech bluetooth mouse will not work on my Razer Goliathus mousing surface due to the porous knitting, and even the wood grain of my smooth living room coffee table screws it up).

#14 Posted by Giantstalker (1725 posts) -

Been using a Corsair M60 for half a year now, it's a fantastic mouse. I highly recommend you consider giving it a try, if you can.

#15 Edited by Chrjz (338 posts) -

Just ordered a G400.

Thanks people.

#16 Posted by Snail (8659 posts) -

@Chrjz said:

Just ordered a G400.

Thanks people.

Why did you go with that one?

#17 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

I have a G9, and I've had this for a few years, and there's a few reasons I got it.

1. I'm right-handed. Lefties get screwed with mice, unfortunately.
  2. I can adjust speed on the fly.
  3. I can switch between a ratcheting mouse wheel and a free scrolling mouse wheel, which is pretty awesome when I want to play games *and* view thousands of lines of code using the same machine.
  4. It was $30.

Just grab one as long as it's comfortable and has all the features you need. And costs some amount of money that you won't immediately regret.

#18 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

You don't have enough cheese?

#19 Posted by joachimo (200 posts) -

Razer deathadder, thank me later.

#20 Posted by myketuna (1755 posts) -

@Stonyman65 said:

Logitech MX518, Logitech G500.

I like the old Razer Diamondback and Copperhead, but I found that after long gaming sessions my hand would cramp up. After switching to the MX518, I don't have the problem anymore. Now, Razer mice feel downright small in my hand. Too small. I guess you could say I'm a Logitech convert.

The G500 is $40 on amazon. You can't beat that. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Programmable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002J9GDXI/ref=pd_sim_e_7

I see that it's too late to recommend something for the OP, but wow, $40 for the 500? I got my 400 for around the same price and only because the 500 was around 55-60 at the time.

If anyone else pops into this thread and that price is still active, that's a pretty good deal.

#21 Edited by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

I have a G9, and I've had this for a few years, and there's a few reasons I got it.

3. I can switch between a ratcheting mouse wheel and a free scrolling mouse wheel, which is pretty awesome when I want to play games *and* view thousands of lines of code using the same machine.
  4. It was $30.

Just grab one as long as it's comfortable and has all the features you need. And costs some amount of money that you won't immediately regret.

Most Left handed people use mice in their right hands, it's the way we were taught. The only thing I use my left hand for while on the computer is my Wacom tablet....and masturbating.

Also G500 or G9. Logitech is great at replacing dead or damaged mice.

#22 Posted by Mister_V (1434 posts) -
@Subject2Change I still use my mouse in my left hand. It's pretty much the only gaming thing I still so lefty. (Even taught myself to use a flight stick right handed) but using a mouse for gaming right handed feels weird. (I can use a mouse for work stuff right handed fine though)

Also has anyone got one of these crazy things yet?

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-ouroboros

#23 Posted by Devildoll (909 posts) -

i love me some deathadder

#24 Posted by RichieJohn (527 posts) -

I've got a Sharkoon Fireglider and I think it's pretty rad for £20.

It's the first mouse I've ever bought for gaming so my recommendation might not mean a whole lot.

#25 Posted by DystopiaX (5359 posts) -

@Subject2Change said:

@Ubersmake said:

4. It was $30.

Most Left handed people use mice in their right hands, it's the way we were taught. The only thing I use my left hand for while on the computer is my Wacom tablet....and masturbating.

Also G500 or G9. Logitech is great at replacing dead or damaged mice.

Word. Left-handed but can't understand left-handed mice...I grew up with everyone using a mouse in their right hand, never thought to do it any different.

#26 Posted by Zidd (1857 posts) -

I wouldn't buy another Razer mouse because of the crap they are pulling with their software needing online activation and an account for some reason. Logitech makes some great mice I'd go for those instead.

#27 Posted by Chrjz (338 posts) -
@Snail I wanted an optical mouse... I'd heard some bad things about the G500's laser. It wasn't super expensive (although more expensive here in Canada apparently). It looked comfortable. The only thing I wish it had was a braided cable.
#28 Posted by Aesthetics (13 posts) -

I have a G9x, I love it. I like the size because I have shorter fingers and the side buttons are not out of reach. Having two different skins offers two grip options too.

#29 Posted by FakeKisser (366 posts) -

I have a Zowie AM, and it is the best mouse I've ever owned. It's optical, accurate, comfortable, and well-built.

I still use my old G9 at work. It's not optical, but it's not a bad mouse, at all. CM Storm Spawn is another great optical mouse. I bought it and like it a lot, but the Zowie AM is just a little more comfortable to my grip-style.

#30 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

I know Razer isn't very popular around here (and I understand why), but I actually really like the kinda fish-tail shape of my DeathAdder. I wouldn't have just bought it blind, but a friend of mine had one and I liked the feel of it.

#31 Posted by uniform (1838 posts) -

Tried the G500, but went back to G400. I honestly can't see myself switching my G400 in the near future. I read the G400 is superior due to its sensor, but I don't notice any of that. I just like the feel and button placement on the G400 more than any mouse I've ever used.

#32 Posted by LassieME (234 posts) -

I have a Zowie EC1 and it's the best fucking mouse I have ever had. It is also plug'n'play with full functionality.

#33 Posted by Cheesebob (1249 posts) -

@Bishna: That second one....dude...how is that even comfortable to use

#34 Edited by Bollard (5825 posts) -

As you can no longer buy the best mouse in the world (MX518) you are unfortunately going to have to buy it's newer brethren: The G400.

But I've heard it's pretty good too (technically better stats).

@Chrjz said:

Just ordered a G400.

Thanks people.

I'm blind and didn't see this post. Congrats, you did the right thing.

#35 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

Intellimouse 3.0 is the only mouse you'll need, mine is almost a decade old at this point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.