Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Why do some developers still see PC as an unviable platform?

• 156 results
    OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By OdinsThunder

I think that since we aren't likely to be seeing new consoles for a very long time(possibly five years), I think we could soon see a lot of gamers like myself returning to the PC in the near future. Even recently Microsoft seem to have realised this and are refocusing on PC gaming, something they have not done in a long time. Personally, I'm waiting for the next wave of high end video cards to be released before jumping back in. PC gamers have titles such as Crysis 2, Rage, The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2 around the corner and the console versions will be a much poorer experience indeed. It could be that many console players aren't even aware of the capabilities of a modern PC.

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By BounceDK

Most pc gamers demand quality, something most developers cant deliver these days so they turn to the console crowd who will buy just about anything.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#153  Edited By Geno

According to a recent market analyst report, Fallout: New Vegas sold 300K copies on Steam alone in October. Steam is 70% of the DD market, which is in turn about 50% of the PC market as a whole. That would mean about 800K copies sold on the PC in October, compared to 1.2M on the 360, and 700K on the PS3 in the same time period. The PC version also has arguably longer legs since the game will inevitably be bought in the future from sales on Steam and retro gaming websites like GoG (Fallout 1 and 2 are still being bought), whereas on console it would die as soon as the next machines roll out. So it could be argued that the PC version would even sell the most copies and earn the most revenue in the long run. Not to mention, publishers get a much larger cut of the sales from digital distribution.

I seriously think the whole piracy argument is overblown. Even if there were a lot of people pirating games, there's still a very large number of people buying them legitimately, enough to match console sales anyway. It seems publishers are shooting themselves in the foot whenever they don't develop for PC. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#154  Edited By xyzygy
    @Geno:
    Those New Vegas numbers are nice for the PC. It managed to sell more than the PS3 even after all the pirating that will inevitably go down. And while I do agree somewhat that the piracy thing is overblown, if you were to take into account the people who did pirate, sales from that number would still help in the overall. I can only guess that the exclusive DLC announcement is one of the reasons why the 360 version sold more. I can't really see any other reason.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#155  Edited By Hamz

Because most people don't use their computer to play games. 

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#156  Edited By alistercat

I bought a boxed copy of New Vegas. Which is silly, really. But Steam are so bad with their pricing for new games. Not their fault, it's a publisher end thing but I really hope that publishers lower the prices of digitally distributed games. I saved a lot of money by buying a disc based version of a game that requires steam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.