Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Will DX11 run?

Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Eli

Hey guys, I got a new PC for Christmas and  I'm not too good with them, so I'm just curious about something. I've heard DX11 will run on DX10 cards, so will it properly on my rig? (Radeon HD 4870 series, Athlon II triple core proccessor, 4 gigs of RAM) My OS is also Windows 7 Ultra. And if it will run, would it be at least decent? Thanks.

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ErEl

A DX11 game will run on a DX10 GPU, unlike a dx10 game on a dx9 card which wouldn't. This is because dx11 is a superset of dx10. However, some of the new features of DX11 are exclusive to the new dx11 GPUs and so you would need one of those to support them.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By torus

^ What he said. Basically, you won't be able to use hardware tessellation without a  dx11 card.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @torus said:
    " ^ What he said. Basically, you won't be able to use hardware tessellation without a  dx11 card. "
    I beg to differ.  Tessellation is a supported technology in DX10.1
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By torus
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @torus said:
    " ^ What he said. Basically, you won't be able to use hardware tessellation without a  dx11 card. "
    I beg to differ.  Tessellation is a supported technology in DX10.1 "  
    This is misleading. ATI's hardware tessellation technology was only (recently) present in the R600 series, and the Dx9/10 implementation was essentially ignored. There are no games that support it. It's not present on the OP's chip, and it's not clear if the R600 hardware will be compatible with DX11's hardware acceleration. 
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jams

What is hardware tessellation?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Geno
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@jams
    Hardware Tessellation adds more complexity to meshes that exist UNDER the textures, It basically raises the triangle count of objects in relation to the texture bump maps.  This make everything look rounder and more organic.  

Triangles are the most basic objects that 3D cards can display in 3D space, because they have three points and so can be represented in X Y and Z dimensions via their coordinates.  Take a square piece of paper and fold it across the middle diagonally, see it's made of two joined triangles either side of that diagonal fold?  Well that's how a 3D card draws a square, or any object, out of triangles.  

Tessellation means that if a given object, say a sphere, is made of 36 triangles all joined together, then with tessellation, the number of those triangles is multiplied so that the they are smaller and so the surface of the sphere becomes smoother.  

Tessellation means going from this...

A Sphere made of a small number of triangles 

....to this!

A sphere made from a larger number of triangles

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@jams
    Hardware Tessellation adds more complexity to meshes that exist UNDER the textures, It basically raises the triangle count of objects in relation to the texture bump maps.  This make everything look rounder and more organic.  

Triangles are the most basic objects that 3D cards can display in 3D space, because they have three points and so can be represented in X Y and Z dimensions via their coordinates.  Take a square piece of paper and fold it across the middle diagonally, see it's made of two joined triangles either side of that diagonal fold?  Well that's how a 3D card draws a square, or any object, out of triangles.  

Tessellation means that if a given object, say a sphere, is made of 36 triangles all joined together, then with tessellation, the number of those triangles is multiplied so that the they are smaller and so the surface of the sphere becomes smoother.  

Tessellation means going from this...

A Sphere made of a small number of triangles 

....to this!

A sphere made from a larger number of triangles

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jams

That is an amazing advancement! Damn too bad I already have a Geforce 285. (sadface)

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jams

That is an amazing advancement! Damn too bad I already have a Geforce 285. (sadface)

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Geno
    @jams said:

"That is an amazing advancement! Damn too bad I already have a Geforce 285. (sadface) "

Games probably won't use it for at least another year; there's nothing significant coming out in 2010 that will use it. Dirt 2 used it, but in very unnoticeable ways like in flags and water. Also it uses a fair amount of graphical power, and most cards, even the DX11 enabled ones (excluding the 5870 and 5970) aren't powerful enough to use it yet with steady framerates.
    ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ErEl

STALKER: Call of Pripyat looks like it uses it, but not to a great extent and only to improve performance.

raidenninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By raidenninja

The good thing is at least DX11 games will work with DX10 cards but almost none of the features in DX11 will be noticeable in DX10 but honestly it will take at least a year or more for any of us to see a noticeable difference in the games we play.  Thats why I'm not rushing out and buying a DX11 card yet even when Nvidia releases their cards.  Plus I just put together my gaming pc with a GTX 260 LOL  and at this point the price you will be paying for a DX11 card is not even worth it, I would wait about 8 months till the price comes down on them and the features are more prominent in the games we play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.