Will Gears of War 2 ever come to PC?

#1 Posted by rmills87 (466 posts) -

I mean is piracy really that bad?  You would think they can pull all the stops when it comes to preventing privacy.  I have Gears of War on the PC and it's fucking beautiful.  I would absolutely pay full price for Gears of War 2.  Plus, it would have to be a win for Microsoft if they bring it to the PC because it would be tapping into a market that loves these games and would help with Games for Windows Live. 

Has anyone heard anything about this even possibly happening?

#2 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1203 posts) -

If it hasn't happened yet, I doubt it ever will. 

#3 Posted by kives34 (93 posts) -

Maybe but if it happens it will definitely be after Gears of War 3. 

#4 Posted by rmills87 (466 posts) -
@kives34: Why so?  I thought ports were handled by separate companies?  Or do you think Microsoft is trying to market the hell out of GoW3 and ONLY GoW3?
#5 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

I can't find the quote but I believe I've read that they've explicitly said it will never be coming to PC. Unfortunate :(

#6 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -
@Geno said:
" I can't find the quote but I believe I've read that they've explicitly said it will never be coming to PC. Unfortunate :( "
Yea they did say that.  Not the biggest shame really.  I played the game at a mate's place, and we both agreed that it felt like GoW1 with the only real defining moments happening at the end, and I saw that already at what I think was the E3 demonstration of the game.  That annoyed me.
#7 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Probally not, cliffy b sure doesn't like how much pc gamers complained about the last game with all the bugs and stuff. He said it will never come to the pc, yet gears is superior on the pc with it's DX10 lighting, textures and anti aliasing.

#8 Posted by kives34 (93 posts) -
@rmillz87:  
It is because Microsoft would want people to buy it on console first. So they will wait until after the release GoW 3 because after that Gears of War 2 will sell almost nothing on Xbox. 
#9 Edited by Spacetrucking (946 posts) -
@Geno said:

" I can't find the quote but I believe I've read that they've explicitly said it will never be coming to PC. Unfortunate :( "

Yes. It was Cliff Bleszinski who said that a couple of years ago. It wasn't a definite NO but the chances of it happening are next to zero.

[Source] These are his exact words:

The person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card is a person who is savvy enough to know all the elements so they can pirate software. Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC. Right now, it makes sense for us to focus on Xbox 360 for a number of reasons. Not least PCs with multiple configurations and piracy.

In most cases, it's true, but only because some people choose to pirate games doesn't mean that you shouldn't port a title to the PC. There might still be a glimpse of hope for computer gamers, because as you all know, the first title wasn't ported to the PC by Epic Games, but by a subsidiary, the Polish studio People Can Fly. So let's keep our fingers crossed.    

People Can Fly are making Bulletstorm now so I wouldn't bet on a PC version anytime soon.
#10 Posted by rmills87 (466 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: I absolutely agree with that.  So the pieces of shit who pirate software ruin it for honest consumers once again.
#11 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

I for one won't miss Gears 2 on PC. In Gears 1, I found the mouse and keyboard setup to be pretty aggravating for anything except the sniper rifle. Besides, I can get it for a ridiculously low price on the 360 right now.

#12 Posted by rmills87 (466 posts) -
@ATrevelan: Well I have the Xbox 360 controller.  It works pretty well.
#13 Posted by Goldanas (550 posts) -

Gears has never really been my bag, Captain. If it came out for PC I'd probably only play the demo and get sick and tired of hearing the forced, "ironic" grunts shouted over and over. 

It's just not my thing.

#14 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -
@rmillz87: I would say no, but not for piracy concerns.  This might be me, but I always viewed this practice as keeping a game exclusive in all senses of the word, as in on one platform (console or PC) only.  That way other console owners would have to buy a 360, where there is a chance of selling other content once the console in the house, and not just buy it for their PC without owning the 360, while having another console.
#15 Posted by edins (33 posts) -

I dont think it ever will, but then again i dont care, the first was boring as hell. So was the second when i played it on xbox.

#16 Posted by Chubbaluphigous (571 posts) -

I thought Gears 2 was boring and thoughtless.  I want more out of the combat in games than, shoot dudes in face before they shoot you in the face.  Jeff was right when he said that headshots are ruining games. 

#17 Posted by Chandu83 (222 posts) -

I don't understand the point of giving us the first game in the series and not the rest. I mean why bother?

#18 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

no it wont

#19 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I recall that Cliffy B said there won't be a port version of the game on the PC. 

Nowadays most developers are either avoiding the PC entirely or put out a console port for the computers. Developers don't see any money coming out from PC gaming and quite frankly, piracy makes that even worse than before. The only benefit against that is buying games on Steam; which makes you feel like you're getting something for almost nothing with their ridiculous discounts. Even then, I don't think a large share of the money goes into the publisher/developer's pockets from Steam purchase.

#20 Posted by dantheman1515 (297 posts) -
@Chubbaluphigous: The set-pieces in Gears 2 were amazing! I don't understand how it was boring. The boss encounters were all designed well, and the missions were in different environments most of the levels.
#21 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -
@ATrevelan said:
" I for one won't miss Gears 2 on PC. In Gears 1, I found the mouse and keyboard setup to be pretty aggravating for anything except the sniper rifle. Besides, I can get it for a ridiculously low price on the 360 right now. "
Waaaaaaaaaat? Playing the PC port afterwards felt so good with M+KB. To be fair I've always hated playing any kind of shooter with a controller.
#22 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -
@Rockanomics: The shooting parts controlled more or less just like you'd expect, sure. I thought they felt a little bit floaty, myself, but my biggest gripe is with the movement controls. I get that Marcus and Dom are big dudes, but do they really need the turning radius of a bathtub to drive that point home? Camera control in Gears is much better suited for a right stick than a mouse. Go figure.
#23 Posted by Evilmetal (468 posts) -
@rmillz87 said:
" @HitmanAgent47: I absolutely agree with that.  So the pieces of shit who pirate software ruin it for honest consumers once again. "
No... the savvy people. I'm a savvy person. If you are dumb, stupid and/or in a state of sleep... you are the prime candidate for their software. 
#24 Posted by ArjanN (140 posts) -

It's less to do with piracy and more with them wanting some exclusives on their console.
#25 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (279 posts) -

Awwww come on!
#26 Posted by Chubbaluphigous (571 posts) -
@dantheman1515: the problem for me was the combat.  It didn't require a lot of thought, even on hard.  You had to move faster, and hide more for hard.  Where as in Mass Effect 2, you have to put a lot more thought into all of your battles when playing on the harder difficulties.  I want more tactics.  Shoot dude in face faster, isn't enough.
#27 Posted by Andorski (5365 posts) -

Probably not, but your not missing much.  Emo Dom's story arc ruins the single player experience and the multiplayer (sans Horde mode) was mediocre.

#28 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

It might get released on the PC but most likely only after Gears of War 3 gets released.

#29 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

No.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.