Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Will it run? Also, rate the build.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ahriman22

So my laptop just died, long story short; Won't start, wires are severed and HDD ports are destroyed. It was an Inspiron 1420 and I had immediately regretted the purchase, it bring a laptop which means next to no customization for me.

Bon, I just went to Dell's site and just finished "customizing" a DESKTOP PC. Could ya'll rate it and/or propose things I should buy or replace once I get it?

Specs:
    Inspiron 537 Slim-Tower w/ Black Bezel
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E8400 (6MB L2, 3GHz, 1333FSB) (Took me some time choosing what processor to get)
    Dell 23" Full HD 1080p Widescreen Flat Panel Display (I wanted bigger, but budgets got in the way)
    4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 2 DIMMs
    320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
    ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB
    16X DVD+/-RW Drive (Why get a Blu-Ray drive if I've got a PS3?)
    Dell 1505 WLAN PCIe card with11n mini-Card & external antenna (The way my room is setup, I need a wireless card, since my 360 and PS3 are wired and I need to keep my PS3 that way)
    Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio (Nothing Special.)

Two little presents for myself:
    Microsoft Sidewinder USB Laser Mouse with Built-in LCD Display
    Logitech G15 Backlit USB Gaming Keyboard

So that's that. On a scale of 1-10 please. I am looking to use it for games, although I'm more of a console person, I would like to actually be able to play a few.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Absurd

How much are you paying for it?

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ahriman22
    @Absurd: Quoted 1, 364$ by Dell or the 33$/Mo.
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Absurd

I basically have that same build, except I have a 4850. Also, I might have missed it, but what kind of Motherboard will you have?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

You'd be best served building your own, but I can understand if that just isn't possible for you. It takes a LOT of time and research to figure it out properly.

If you didn't have the monitor, keyboard, and mouse there, I'd say you're paying way too much, but those are all fairly expensive items, so I'd imagine they add a lot to the price.

I'd say you're only going to be able to do limited/light gaming, especially with that graphics card. The processor is great (it's the same I use in my own desktop), the ram is okay, the disc space is fine if that is enough for you. The good news is that the graphics card should be fairly easily upgradable, down the road, but that would mean about another $150-$200 for a decent single card.

I really hate giving score ratings to things, so just take my word that it would be a decent PC if you added a decent graphics card to it. Maybe a Radeon 4870 or Geforce 9800, or one of the newer GTX200 series, but I'm not at all familiar with them at the moment.

Edit: I also have a very similar build: an E8400 processor (overclocked to 3.6ghz), 4GBs DDR2 800. I also have a Geforce 8800GT, though, and that makes all the difference.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ahriman22
    @Absurd: They don't say=,=

@AndrewB: I'm not savvy enough to build one on my own and at the moment, I really need a PC (Music) and I don't intend on hijacking my girlfriend's PC since she's in CEGEP and has work to do. I have a 500GB LaCie external hard drive, so I'm not scared about running out of space for anything.

And yeah, I was thinking that I'd just buy a new graphics card in a month or 2. My laptop was horrible and I hated the heating problems with it.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AndrewB
    @ahriman22:  I'd wait anyway, what with Direct X 11 coming out with Windows 7. There'll be a whole new lineup of cards then. Also, I just found out that I'm sort of out of the loop on graphics cards. A Geforce 9800GT can be had for around or under $100 these days. Not too bad. Same for the Radeon 4850. The Radeon 4870 is only $25-$40 more.
    Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Nomin

ATI HD 4770  would serve you as well.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ahriman22

I've come to realize (Rather late to realize) that size does matter. I wondering if the case will fit an ATI HD 4770 (It's an Inspiron 537 Slim-Tower). but I'm not sure on hte dimensions.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By subject2change

Need a better graphics card, unless you aren't gonna game at 1920 or want to play at very low qualities.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AndrewB

Yeah.. something else that completely slipped my mind is the wattage and connectors of that system's power supply. I believe the Radeon 4770 would be the best choice, here. It would need less power, it is markably smaller (still not sure if it would fit your specific case, but I'm scouring google right now trying to figure that out).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.