Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

windows 7

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By cloneslayer

So, i haven't tried it yet, should I? Should I even take the hassle to install the RC? I saw all the versions are half off on Amazon to preorder and that really interests me. So at least answer me this, better that Vista and in what way?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Kazona

Windows 7 is basically Windows Vista without all the fat. That's the very short and simple of it, but you can easily find out more info by searching for it.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By subject2change

Sure you can give it a shot now.

Those versions on Amazon, Microsoft and NewEgg are UPGRADE versions however. Undecided now if I go upgrade of Pro or wait for an OEM copy.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cloneslayer
    @Subject2Change said:
    " Sure you can give it a shot now. Those versions on Amazon, Microsoft and NewEgg are UPGRADE versions however. Undecided now if I go upgrade of Pro or wait for an OEM copy. "
    whats upgrade versions suppose to mean? like upgrade from vista or upgrade from lower versions of 7?
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wolverine
    @Cloneslayer: It is better than Vista but I don't think it is that much better because I was happy with Vista when I installed the RC for Windows 7. The tool bar is really nice and I like how you can drag a window to the bottom right or left of the screen to make it take up that portion of the screen. Overall it is a great operating system and I'm glad I installed the RC and have already pre-ordered Home Edition from Amazon when it went on sale last night. Also, it takes up a lot less space than Vista does.
    timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By timay
    @Cloneslayer said:
    " @Subject2Change said:
    " Sure you can give it a shot now. Those versions on Amazon, Microsoft and NewEgg are UPGRADE versions however. Undecided now if I go upgrade of Pro or wait for an OEM copy. "
    whats upgrade versions suppose to mean? like upgrade from vista or upgrade from lower versions of 7? "
    Upgrade means from xp or Vista to 7.  xp will require a clean install no matter what and you can upgrade from vista to the same version of  7 without reinstalling.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By subject2change

Upgrade means you have a copy of XP or Vista already. Retail means it can be moved from computer to computer with out issues. OEM is locked to your computer and upgrades can cause the install to be required to re-activate with a phone call to Microsoft.

Upgrade from Vista is simple; it will take you from Vista to 7 without a fresh install however you will be required to use the same version or better version of 7. So if you own Windows Vista Pro you need to purchase Win 7 Pro or Ultimate, if you purchase Win 7 Home you will be required to a fresh install. You can upgrade from Home Premium to say Professional without problem however (like I plan to do)

From XP it will require a fresh install no matter what. I am unsure how the process will go but I assume you will need to enter your XP CD-Key in and the Upgrade 7 Key as well to lock out that XP key from being used.

About to order my Win 7 Pro upgrade; just because I don't wanna worry about the cost changing can always cancel or return if the OEM copies arent much more.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By meptron
    @Cloneslayer:
    I like it so far. I like the fact that you can set your desktop wallpaper to a folder full of images. Then it cycles through them, with customizable duration. This is trivial, but it is one of many ways that Windows 7 has impressed me with little details that make it fun and easier to use.

If you're unsure, you can always partition your harddrive and install 7 on one partition while keeping your original OS on the other. I did that. Didn't take that long, all things considered.
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#9  Edited By sarahsdad

FWIW, Amazon and others are offering a pre-order on the upgrades starting today, and going for a few weeks. I figure 50.00 to upgrade from my current copy of Vista is worth it.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By subject2change

Ordered 7 Pro from NewEgg so its 100 (No Tax and Free ship yay!) wanted the virtual XP option in case I needed it for drivers or something of older technology like Printers doing the same 3 work computers; however doing the upgrade process can be a pain in the ass especially when reformatting will most likely go fresh Vista install a week before Win 7 release and make a restore point of it, roll back to it and then go to 7. Hoping its not a trouble some upgrade and that I reformating doesn't require a vista install and then going to 7.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.