Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Windows 8 to relaunch PC gaming and be main focus of the os

• 62 results
    Avatar image for brandoncooper17
    brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By brandoncooper17

"Windows 8 will represent a real new push into PC gaming," the source told TechRadar. "Gaming will be a key component for the whole OS."
    Im am actually expecting good things from this there actually trying with some good gfwl sales. You can tell there trying to get back int pc gaming. 

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/microsoft-wants-windows-8-to-relaunch-pc-gaming-917416

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

They've been saying that since Vista. I won't believe any of it until it comes out.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Marz

hmmm windows 8 will be released in 2012, by then there will probably be next generation consoles on the horizon.

brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By brandoncooper17
    @Suicidal_SNiper said:
    " They've been saying that since Vista. I won't believe any of it until it comes out. "
    So you dont thnik the last weeks with lots of sales for games under 5$ and games there announcing means any thing?
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Marz said:
    " hmmm windows 8 will be released in 2012, by then there will probably be next generation consoles on the horizon. "
    IS WINDOWS 8 TEH NEXT XBOX?!?!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@Marz said:
    " hmmm windows 8 will be released in 2012, by then there will probably be next generation consoles on the horizon. "
    But the world will end anyways right?
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Marz
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @Marz said:
    IS WINDOWS 8 TEH NEXT XBOX?!?! "
    That wouldn't be a bad idea making windows 8 able to read and play next generation xbox games.
    JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoMate
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @Marz said:
    YES, and you can either get a console with a hotswappable gpu or build your own pc!?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @brandoncooper17 said:
    " @Suicidal_SNiper said:
    " They've been saying that since Vista. I won't believe any of it until it comes out. "
    So you dont thnik the last weeks with lots of sales for games under 5$ and games there announcing means any thing? "
    Games go on sale for ridiculous prices every holiday season, and there's nothing specific to Windows that affects that.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By benjaebe

God damnit, I thought Windows 7 was going to be the relaunch of PC gaming after they messed that up with Vista.
    Besides, isn't PC gaming doing just fine? Look at Steam's numbers.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By mracoon

I've been using Windows 7 for several months now and I haven't had any game related issues.

brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By brandoncooper17
    @benjaebe said:
    " God damnit, I thought Windows 7 was going to be the relaunch of PC gaming after they messed that up with Vista. Besides, isn't PC gaming doing just fine? Look at Steam's numbers. "
    They want those numbers duh
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 02sfraser
    @mracoon said:
    " I've been using Windows 7 for several months now and I haven't had any game related issues. "
    Was going to say, Windows 7 is a great gaming platform.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Jack268
    @ProfessorEss said:

" @Marz said:

The Kinect is the next Xbox 
    http://www.examiner.com/xbox-360-in-national/microsoft-confirms-kinect-is-xbox-720  

Anyway. Guess I'm not upgrading my PC until 8 is released then. Was planning on doing it but meh, might as well buy a whole new machine along with windows 8 when that day comes, seeing as they don't seem to have any plans for 7 at the moment. 
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By xMP44x

This should be interesting. I'm curious as to what the next version of Windows will be like. Windows 7 is nice and all, but I liked the look of Vista. It might not have performed spectacularly, but I think the thinner taskbar was the way to go. They'll probably start the Windows 8 beta in 2011, if it's going to happen at all. Let's see what Microsoft bring to the table for non-PC gamers though. Maybe they revitalise the Games for Windows LIVE approach to bring it more in line with other products, such as Steam.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Skald
    @mracoon said:
    " I've been using Windows 7 for several months now and I haven't had any game related issues. "
    I agree. No problems here either. As far as I'm concerned, Win7 WAS launched with gaming as it's main focus, seeing as though it's the one thing it does infinitely better than Mac or Linux.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Jack268: Well obviously I meant teh next NEXT Xbox.
    ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    @extremeradical said:
    " @mracoon said:
    I agree. No problems here either. As far as I'm concerned, Win7 WAS launched with gaming as it's main focus, seeing as though it's the one thing it does infinitely better than Mac or Linux. "

I don't even want to hear about another Windows OS. They only just released Windows 7 the end of last year, you have to be kidding when they want to be launching Windows 8 so soon. 

Windows 7 is great for gaming, and I haven't had any issues with it. That's what updates are for, no need for an entire new OS. This would just be ridiculous and a very bad corporate decision.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jack268
    @ProfessorEss: Oh, the Xbox 1080? Yeah, shits gon be sweet bro 

I wish they'd make Windows 8 better compatible with old games. Having to remove cutscenes and turning certain graphic options on/off in a certain combination to make a game playable isn't a lot of fun. 

Including a free GFWL game when you buy it wouldn't hurt it's cause either.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By meteora

Didn't they say the same thing about this since Vista/Windows 7?

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#21  Edited By Sin4profit
    @Meteora said:
    " Didn't they say the same thing about this since Vista/Windows 7? "
    hell, they said the same thing since Vista was code named "Longhorn"
    Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tally_Pants
    @wewantsthering said:
    " @Marz said:
    But the world will end anyways right? "
    LOL good point!
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By Geno

Release the rest of the Halo and Gears of War games on GFWL Microsoft kthx. 

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ImBigInJapan

Hell, Steve Jobs has been saying that about the Mac since 2002. Yet another thing MS is stealing from Apple - pandering to gamers without actually acting on their promises. :-p

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Lol, they said exactly the same with thing vista and look how well that turned out. Prepare for a bloated operating system.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Skald
    @LtColJaxson said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " @mracoon said:
    I agree. No problems here either. As far as I'm concerned, Win7 WAS launched with gaming as it's main focus, seeing as though it's the one thing it does infinitely better than Mac or Linux. "

I don't even want to hear about another Windows OS. They only just released Windows 7 the end of last year, you have to be kidding when they want to be launching Windows 8 so soon.   Windows 7 is great for gaming, and I haven't had any issues with it. That's what updates are for, no need for an entire new OS. This would just be ridiculous and a very bad corporate decision. "
    High five for not being ridiculous.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Marz said:
    Or we'll all be dead.
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By John1912

Ive never understood why there is not a kernal OS option for gaming. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Hailinel said:
    " @brandoncooper17 said:
    " @Suicidal_SNiper said:
    So you dont thnik the last weeks with lots of sales for games under 5$ and games there announcing means any thing? "
    Games go on sale for ridiculous prices every holiday season, and there's nothing specific to Windows that affects that. "
    I think the point was that Games for Windows have been doing some pretty big sales.  Bioshock, Age of Empires 3, Deus Ex, Viva Pinata and a few others were less than 99p a few weeks back.  And they had pretty good sales on newer games, like Batman.  It's pretty clear they're getting more serious in competing with the likes of Steam.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AlexW00d
    @LtColJaxson: You mean 3 years after 7? Like the three years 7 was after Vista, and the three Vista was after XP? It makes sense dude.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It better have dedicated server support in their shitty WindowsLive. Fuck P2P.

drcocktopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By drcocktopus

This seems to be a yearly trend...

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jNerd
    @Suicidal_SNiper said:
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SomeJerk

Windows 8's "It's not a bug, it's a feature" = "Unable to launch Steam.exe"

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    @AlexW00d said:
    " @LtColJaxson: You mean 3 years after 7? Like the three years 7 was after Vista, and the three Vista was after XP? It makes sense dude. "
    I suppose it does make sense. Regardless, Windows 7 has served fine as a gaming platform. There was nothing inherently wrong with games running on it, and it was a big improvement over Vista.

They will never be able to bring PC gaming to what it was just because of the cost involved and technical knowledge in upgrading computers. MAC's will actually help encourage some computer game growth as it's another OS to work on, but it will never be what it once was. There are now too many media out there that can support gaming to expect a majority to go spend extensive amounts on getting game to run properly. @somejerk said:
    " Windows 8's "It's not a bug, it's a feature" = "Unable to launch Steam.exe" "
    I haven't had issues such as this on Windows 7 as of yet. Usually such issues arise from user ignorance rather than problems with the OS. Apple's clever marketing only highlighted some of the issues of Windows, while ignoring their own issues which are just as substantial. Of course they'd ignore their own since it's their advertising, but it's also caused a lot of the masses to think Windows is flawed while the MAC OS is without bugs (I work on a new iMac using FCP for video, and man - there are bugs).
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I hope this is the shift into quick release OSes from Microsoft. The amount of time between releases has been too long in my opinion. Cannot wait to see how Windows 8 runs and whether or not they will stick to the push for the 128-bit Windows 9.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By crusader8463

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @brandoncooper17 said:
    " @Suicidal_SNiper said:
    Games go on sale for ridiculous prices every holiday season, and there's nothing specific to Windows that affects that. "
    I think the point was that Games for Windows have been doing some pretty big sales.  Bioshock, Age of Empires 3, Deus Ex, Viva Pinata and a few others were less than 99p a few weeks back.  And they had pretty good sales on newer games, like Batman.  It's pretty clear they're getting more serious in competing with the likes of Steam. "
    GFWL and Windows are 2 different things. I mean, I don't see how they can really make a gaming OS other than including GFWL with the OS. What will they do to the OS to make it more gaming than Windows 7 with GFWL installed? 

Back when Vista was freshly released they were advertising heavily about how Vista is THE gaming OS, yet the only thing that set it aside from XP was DirectX 10 which was more of a fluke than VIsta was. People greatly favored XP over Vista during that time because a lot of games had a difference of like 20 more FPS running in XP vs Vista. What is Windows 8 gonna do? Release DirectX 12? DirectX 11 has barely been touched so far so there's no reason to release a new one. The only thing I can predict them doing is forcing GFWL into every game you buy. So lets say you play a game then GFWL will just force its overlay into your game and force you to log into your gamer tag before you do anything.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By gamb1t

as always im gunna believe when i see it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jimbo

They mean they'll have Microsoft Steam, Microsoft Facebook and Microsoft Zynga built directly into the desktop.  

I don't think they mean PC gaming how we mean PC gaming anymore - those days are gone, at least until somebody comes up with a rock solid way of preventing piracy without pissing off legitimate customers.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By mikemcn

That will totally happen, if it comes preloaded with Steam. 

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Subjugation

Even the best laid plans can go awry. The proof will be in the pudding ... and I hate pudding.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By selbie

It would be a good move for MS. Especially with their online marketplace starting up, and their integrated Live service across WP7 phones and Xbox.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Scooper

I dunno how they're going to make it better for games...

Prehaps they could make it so there's a gaming mode that doesn't load anything but what's nessasary for games and games only, so the hardware can use 100% of its brute on making games kickass, like an Xbox/PS3? 
    Is that even possible? I don't really know but it sounds like something that would make a difference.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho

Maybe they should just make an SP4 for Windows XP and call it a day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is a big push for cross-compatibility with the next console... didn't read the whole topic so sorry if someone has already said that.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Devildoll

if i remember correctly , last time they pushed gaming , they ended up with the steaming pile that is vista.

windows 7 is great though , i hope they continue down this track.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By jakob187
    @Jack268 said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:

" @Marz said:

The Kinect is the next Xbox 
    http://www.examiner.com/xbox-360-in-national/microsoft-confirms-kinect-is-xbox-720   Anyway. Guess I'm not upgrading my PC until 8 is released then. Was planning on doing it but meh, might as well buy a whole new machine along with windows 8 when that day comes, seeing as they don't seem to have any plans for 7 at the moment.  "
    I wouldn't call anything where someone doesn't specifically say the words "this is the new Xbox console" a direct quote and/or confirmation.  Nintendo thought Virtual Boy was going to be the next big thing at one point...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.