witcher2 and gta iv crash on new system

#1 Edited by rambostyrer (34 posts) -

Bought a new pc a couple of months back , and at the start it was dreadful, as almostall my games on it crashed within 5 minutes of play, they would reboot the system, as if I had hit the reset button.

I tested my different parts with my old ones, and came to the conclution that it was the GPU that did it. But just before I was to RMA it, the problems stopped (almost). Al my games exept for Witcher 2 and GTA IV run perfectly now, witch is really weird.

I have played games like Mass effect 1+2 Far Cry 3 to completion

plus exteded playtime in games like Skyrim, Deus EX HR, Crysis, Alan Wake, Torchlight 2, Path of exile, Dota 2, Borderlands 2, Rage and Starcraft 2 without any issues.

But Witcher 2 (that was the game I'm lookin forward to play the most) and GTA IV still have the resetting issue described earlier.

any help or feedback would be appreciated.

Sys specs:

Windows 7 64 home premium

ASUS P8Z77-V LK

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge - Box

Kingston HyperX PnP DDR3-1600 DC - 8GB

ASUS GeForce GTX 770 OC - 2 GB GDDR5
XFX ProSeries XXX Edition - 750W PSU

Cooler master HAF 922

I have a problem with my monitor that it by default scales the image to be "bigger" than my monitor. I can fix the issue through the nvidia control panel, but as far I can see all that it does is reduce the resolution portrayed on the monitor. (the resolution is 1824*1026).

I'm using a HDMI cable and my monitor is a Benq G2420HD with a native resolution of 1080p. My gpu is asus gtx 770 2gb oc

I had the same problem on my laptop, when i connected it to my monitor using the same HDMI cable, but i solved that problem by using a vga cable instead. (a format my gpu does not support.)

So I would like to know if there is a way to solve the problem without changing the resolution?

And can using such a weird resolution cause any problem in games that may not support that resolution???

#2 Posted by Korwin (2814 posts) -

Couple of potential problems

  • Video Card problems (either hardware or funky driver install)
  • CPU fault (unlikely unless overclocked)
  • Memory Fault (always possible)
  • Motherboard Firmware problem (can be resolved potentially by upgrading)

What you want to do is try and narrow down where the problem lies by throwing something relatively intensive at each potential problem. However before that try reproducing the problem then checking your Event Monitor for any easily identifiable issues under the Application and System logs.

For the GPU you'll need a high stress GPU benchmark application, Unigene Heaven is free and loops endlessly. Grab a copy of that fire it up set it to extreme then leave it running over night. If it runs happily then you can probably eliminate GPU/Display driver issues for the time being.

For the CPU and Memory you might want to grab the latest build of prime95, while your at it install HWmonitor to keep an eye on your CPU temps (prime will take your CPU to the absolute limit). Run a full torture test of prime95 for about 20 mins and keep an eye on the CPU temps in HWmonitor. Provided the CPU isn't riding that sweet 100C limit when you start hitting the heaviest part of the stress leave that running over night, if it's still standing in the morning then your CPU and potentially memory are most likely ok.

#3 Edited by Sammo21 (3203 posts) -

Ah, the perfect and superior PC gaming! Seriously though, you will want to check everything that @korwin said. You will also want to check and make sure there aren't any updates to your video card. I will say that GTA IV on PC is incredibly unoptimized. Do both games crash and force a reboot? Have you checked the Windows error logs to see if there is anything that could provide some kind of breadcrumbs? I'd kind of rule out a defect in the memory or video card if you aren't having issues with any other games.

#4 Posted by Korwin (2814 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

Ah, the perfect and superior PC gaming! Seriously though, you will want to check everything that @korwin said. You will also want to check and make sure there aren't any updates to your video card. I will say that GTA IV on PC is incredibly unoptimized. Do both games crash and force a reboot? Have you checked the Windows error logs to see if there is anything that could provide some kind of breadcrumbs? I'd kind of rule out a defect in the memory or video card if you aren't having issues with any other games.

To be fair to the PC at least he has a chance of resolving the problem himself inside a day. Better than sending the thing off to the vendor for 3 weeks waiting for a refurb in return :P

#5 Posted by rambostyrer (34 posts) -

@korwin: already did that, that is why I state that it is probably a conflict with the gpu.(I was only able to crash the system with Unigine, prime95 it passed with flying colors.)

The problem here is that I can play any game that I want, without any issues at all, except those two, which to me indicates that it may be a problem with the game itself, or some sort of conflict between game and my gpu.

#6 Posted by rambostyrer (34 posts) -

I just posted another post about a scaling issue on my monitor, and got me thinking if that could be the issue. have copy pasted that post into my OP.

#7 Posted by Korwin (2814 posts) -

If unigine is crashing alone with witcher then you definitely have a GPU issue. First up pull down the current nvidia WHQL's (327.23) and install them, use custom instead of express install and flag the clean install option. That will blow everything away and roll it all back to out of the box defaults for the profiles and remove an legacy registry junk. Once that's done do another Unigine run, if it's still packing out you could potentially be looking at some instability in the factory OC. If that is the case I would recommend you grab a copy of MSI afterburner and then down clock the GPU and memory to the 770's stock clocks and re-run the benchmark. If it passes then you might want to setup an RMA for the card since it's faulty.

Not every games pokes and prods a piece of hardware in the right way to uncover a stability problem, Witcher 2 is pretty intensive so I'm not surprised it's falling over on you.

#8 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

@korwin said:

If unigine is crashing alone with witcher then you definitely have a GPU issue. First up pull down the current nvidia WHQL's (327.23) and install them, use custom instead of express install and flag the clean install option. That will blow everything away and roll it all back to out of the box defaults for the profiles and remove an legacy registry junk. Once that's done do another Unigine run, if it's still packing out you could potentially be looking at some instability in the factory OC. If that is the case I would recommend you grab a copy of MSI afterburner and then down clock the GPU and memory to the 770's stock clocks and re-run the benchmark. If it passes then you might want to setup an RMA for the card since it's faulty.

Not every games pokes and prods a piece of hardware in the right way to uncover a stability problem, Witcher 2 is pretty intensive so I'm not surprised it's falling over on you.

Yeah, def sounds like a problem with the card. Most games aren't giving the OP a tough time because they aren't as intensive as the Witcher 2 and GTA IV is intensive by just being poorly optimized.

#9 Edited by Zelyre (1106 posts) -

I'd also look at that power supply. The games you're mentioning could be putting a much higher draw than everything else; the power supply can't keep up. What's the amperage on the +12 volt?

Can you run benchmarks like furmark without issue? Or will those reboot your computer, too?

Overclocks? If you're overclocking anything, bring it all back to stock and see what happens.

#11 Posted by Korwin (2814 posts) -

@raul25 said:
raulisoto25Column HeadColumn HeadColumn Head
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!aaaa mi hat
ia m scary ooo this good!!!!!!!!!
tatatatatatata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!rarararararaararararararararararararararararararararara

wowowowowowowowrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

The hell?

#12 Posted by Dacnomaniac (437 posts) -
@korwin said:

@raul25 said:
raulisoto25Column HeadColumn HeadColumn Head
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!aaaa mi hat
ia m scary ooo this good!!!!!!!!!
tatatatatatata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!rarararararaararararararararararararararararararararara

wowowowowowowowrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

The hell?


That made perfect sense. What're you talking about?

#13 Posted by rambostyrer (34 posts) -

Ok. so I did a lot of follow up testing:

First I tested the GPU through occt v 4.4.0 did 2 30 min tests passing with flying colours.

I then tested my CPU and RAM in Prime95. did a 45 min test passing again.

I then tested prima95 AND occt for the GPU at the same time to push my PSU to the limit, and it again passed a 30 min test.

whenever a games has crashed, it has been within 5-10 minutes, so I figured 30 min tests should be enough.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.