Would it be a waste to upgrade video cards now?

#1 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

I've got a GTX 570 and it's chugging to run Far Cry 3 at 30 FPS with high settings. I got some money for Christmas/my birthday and was contemplating upgrading my video card or monitor. Would it be a waste to upgrade now with the new consoles coming up soon?

#2 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

By "soon" you mean the end of the year at the earliest?

#3 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

By "soon" you mean the end of the year at the earliest?

Of course. I just meant they would probably be announced at E3.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11264 posts) -

I'd wait a little bit; 570 is a pretty good card already. Maybe wait until the 7xx series arrives.

#5 Posted by Twinsun (462 posts) -

I just upgraded from a gtx 550 Ti to a gtx 660, and so far I'm happy I did.

#6 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

Its never a waste to upgrade. New stuff comes out all the time, if you're always waiting for the next thing you'll be caught in a never ending cycle of wait instead of enjoying your games in the now.

#7 Posted by JoeyRavn (4886 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

Its never a waste to upgrade. New stuff comes out all the time, if you're always waiting for the next thing you'll be caught in a never ending cycle of wait instead of enjoying your games in the now.

This. A GTX 680 will give you great performance for the foreseable future. Don't think that the "new consoles = higher PC minimum requirements" is that important. If a PC today can play, say, Sleeping Dogs or Hitman: Absolution on DX11 at 60 FPS, it will still do well when new consoles are released. The jump won't be as noticeable on the high-end for PCs (though it probably will on the low-end).

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

As long as you're not dropping dosh on the bleeding edge of new video cards, it's never really a bad time to upgrade.

#9 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@Funkydupe said:

This. A GTX 680 will give you great performance for the foreseable future. Don't think that the "new consoles = higher PC minimum requirements" is that important. If a PC today can play, say, Sleeping Dogs or Hitman: Absolution on DX11 at 60 FPS, it will still do well when new consoles are released. The jump won't be as noticeable on the high-end for PCs (though it probably will on the low-end).

I endorse these statements.

#10 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Is there a timetable for when the 7 series will be released?

I'm also contemplating upgrading my monitor. It's a Gateway that came with our prepackaged Gateway years ago. 1680x1050. But if I go up to 1900 I'd see a dip in performance due to the card.

#11 Posted by Ben_H (3200 posts) -

It varies. Usually the new versions of the AMD and Nvidia cards are released earlier in the year like around March. At least that is what it was in the past.

#12 Posted by Devildoll (831 posts) -

looking at this

It seems like you are paying around 500 bucks slightly less than 100% increase in fps.

#13 Posted by Grilledcheez (3919 posts) -

If you really want to enjoy that game a certain way, go for the upgrade now, but I believe both AMD and Nvidia are going to release a new line of cards in the next few months.

#14 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

What? How is your 570 struggling to run it at 30 FPS on just high?

I'm running Far Cry 3 on ultra with 50-60 FPS with ease using a GTX 470. (virtually identical performance to the 570 when overclocked, like mine is)

It doesn't seem like your GPU is the problem here. I'm on 1920x1080 though, maybe if you are at 2560x1600 I can see the problem.

#15 Posted by qawsed (140 posts) -

Rock Paper Shotgun has a little blurb talking about how the chipset in Nvidia's new workstation cards is a big step up from where the gaming cards are at. The new chipset already exists, so it's just up to their marketing department to decide when to release it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.