Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

would this build work?

Avatar image for canadiantoastzombie
    canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

***UPDATED***                                                                           

would this build work better instead?

(link for a better view of the list)   http://awesomescreenshot.com/0f43354a

How about this one  
          How about this one  

***UPDATED***                                                                           

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I'm not no computer hacker! howz you expec me to know!

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

Looks fine to me.

canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fragstoff: is that a bad thing?
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By monetarydread

Looks like a good build. I see that you are picking up a nice heatsink fan combo for your processor. Good choice, but if you are going to overclock I would suggest getting some thermal paste. The stock Intel paste does the trick but I would recommend spending the extra ten dollars.
    Also, if you have a monitor currently I would suggest holding on to it till you can afford a better monitor than what you suggested. It is a TN panel so the viewing angles aren't that great, and the lower resolution (900p) means that games will look like shit no matter what hardware you throw in your computer. You have to remember, your face is going to be at most a couple of feet from the monitor so, unless you pick up a minimum of 1680x1050  resolution, you are going to notice a significant amount of pixels. 
    Great sub $900 build though. Most people skimp on things like the power supply and case to reach that price.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Dingofighter
    @Fragstoff said:
    " interesting build so your going for a   9 power supply into a 12 Radeon? "
    Yeah seems like he's going for an early graphics rush
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By monetarydread
    @Fragstoff said:

Huh? I don't understand what you are saying here. Are you talking about voltage? Because the Corsair is has 52amps on a 12V rail and that would work well for two Radeon 5770's. Hell, this power suppply is even recommended by ATI.
    ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ectoplasma

Did u consider getting a Core 2 Duo? If u go for only 2 cores I think that's the best choice, but I might be mistaken. You can check this resource:   http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i5-athlon-ii,2675.html 
    I also would storngly consider to get a 22" oder 24" screen. They are not really mroe expensive than ur 20" model and offer some extra screen estate. 
    Another thing I just realized is that u should get a 1TB hd. U can NEVER have enough HD space and 1TB models offer a greater price/GB than 500gb models. 
    Edit: I would expect that u can't run games all actual games on (very) high settings with that machine. You would have to put in like 200 - 300$ extra. So maybe that's something for you to consider. I still think u will have  alot of fun with it if You don't expect top end performance.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By destruktive
    @MonetaryDread said:
    " @Fragstoff said:

Huh? I don't understand what you are saying here. Are you talking about voltage? Because the Corsair is has 52amps on a 12V rail and that would work well for two Radeon 5770's. Hell, this power suppply is even recommended by ATI. "
    Starcraft-sarcasme..
    dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By dipstick
    @MonetaryDread said:
    " @Fragstoff said:

Huh? I don't understand what you are saying here. Are you talking about voltage? Because the Corsair is has 52amps on a 12V rail and that would work well for two Radeon 5770's. Hell, this power suppply is even recommended by ATI. "
    Holy Shit. 

Best,thing,ever.
    JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JoMate

well it looks ok, but I would also recommend a 1 tb hard drive and maybe a quad core processor? where I live those are only 30 bucks more....

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlasherMan

1) I'd swap out that CPU for at least an Athlon II X3 or an X4. Especially since the X3 is actually cheaper.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103843

2) The PSU is overkill for that build. A 550VX or even a 450VX would suffice.

3) I'd probably get a 22" monitor instead. They're better bang for the buck in terms of screen size vs price, since they only cost just a bit more than 20" screens.

4) Consider getting this cheaper Sapphire HD 5770 instead of the HIS one:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873
    Costs $135 after rebates. Alternatively, if you can afford an extra $40 over the HIS card, consider going for a GTX 460 for better performance ( 768MB version costs ~$200, 1GB version costs ~$230).

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Evilmetal
    @canadiantoastzombie:   

why did you choose that motherboard? That motherboard has onboard video. You have any plans in mind to use it in some way?

You need thermal paste. Arctic Silver 5 is a choice many go to. There is also another one  Arctic Cooling's MX-2 thermal paste, some say is better than Arctic Silver 5. I have Arctic Silver 5 because I didn't know about MX-2, otherwise I would have tried MX-2 out.  Arctic Cooling also makes heatsinks and they have already applied MX-2 on their heatsinks.

Also... I had a Scythe heatsink once and it didn't fit my motherboard. Even though it supports the cpu, they're not gonna go to every motherboard and see if it fits. So you need to search the web and see other people's experience with the heatsink and the motherboard you intend to buy.

The hard drive you chose is expensive.  $70 / 500GB = 14 cents per GB ... thats mad money. Usually you want to see around 6 cents and lower per GB and including shipping/tax etc..

Side note: you intend to buy everything from Newegg?

Usually the best practice is to not do that. The probability that Newegg can provide all components together at a cheap price.... it's next to 0. Pigs will fly before you buy everything at Newegg knowing you got the best deal. Though I guess since this is your first build? Do whatever is easy for now, but in the future you must not depend on one place. Newegg is good for the user comments about the product. Then with this product knowledge you go to other stores online where they have better prices than Newegg and buy from there. Newegg is not the holy grail.   The list you created on Newegg is nice and convenient for you and for people on the forum, but it doesn't mean you need to buy from them.

Also that CPU you have chosen... it is out of stock at Newegg. You chose the Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition dual core. Why? You read that it is unlockable so that you can unlock it to a quad core?  This cpu seems to be out of production. If you search online, pretty much nobody has that cpu now. I found one place that had 1 in stock, but in general nobody carries it anymore.  You will need to find another cpu.

A brief search at Newegg and I found that the Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition is available. People have had success in unlocking this CPU and gaining access to all 4 core or settling with a tri-core. If you do play this game, know that you may not get a cpu that unlocks anything. You may just be left with a dual core.

I'm quoting a comment from the X2 555 listing at Newegg: "Do not have the expectation that you will get a quad or even tri core CPU from this deal or you will just be disappointed."

When I bought my  Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition last year, my expectation was that it must unlock all cores, otherwise I would've been pissed. But that's just me. I knew that it may not unlock, but... it's a game.
    canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Evilmetal:  

I updated it, how about now?
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Evilmetal

The previous setup would have worked as well, except for the cpu that is not in supply and the heatsink you had which needed a tube of thermal paste, either AS5 or MX-2.

The current setup should work. Are you happy with your choices? There may be an issue though. The motherboard seems to come with one SATA cable in the box ( the newegg picture shows). You have 2 SATA drives: the hard drive and the dvd drive... you need an extra SATA cable. I don't think the dvd drive comes with it, a reviwer on newegg said it didn't.

Side note: You are using 2 sticks of memory in your current setup, which is just fine; no problems. The motherboard has 4 RAM slots. If in the future you decide to fill up those 2 empty slots, I don't know if that heatsink fan will be blocking the RAM from being inserted.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By empfeix
    @MaFoLu said:

" @Fragstoff said:

Yeah seems like he's going for an early graphics rush "
    lol I was going to mention I like 6 pool better - well done 

btw any reason why you are going with AMD? I would recommend Intel
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Evilmetal

the ram choice... seems to not go with the motherboard..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.