Would you advise getting a new cooler?

#1 Edited by Fear_the_Booboo (394 posts) -

Hey!

I built a computer a while ago and it's been running fine. It is getting really hot in my appartment though so I checked the temperature with RealTemp (is that any accurate). Idle, the CPU runs at 40 C. That said, while playing a game it can get to 72. It is my first PC and I'm still learning the ropes so I don't know if that's too hot and forums answer on various website go either way.

My CPU is an Intel Core i7-3770K and I'm using the stock fan so I thought it might be a good idea to get a new fan? Which one would you recommend for this CPU. Also, is there anyway I can "test" my CPU temps without having to always monitor them myself while playing a game?

Thanks a lot!

#2 Posted by Korwin (2830 posts) -

That operating temp is fine, no need to buy anything else. If you really want to crunch the CPU into the ground to test for thermal issues you could always use AIDA64 or Prime95 to put it through the wringer.

#3 Edited by CorruptedEvil (1791 posts) -

Yeah that's completely normal. Unless you overclock it (which you should since you paid extra for it to be unlocked) you don't need anything better than the stock fan.

#4 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (394 posts) -

Cool. Thanks guy for the quick replies. Gonna test that tomorrow.

#6 Posted by AndrewB (7500 posts) -

Just to add that if a CPU is reaching its designed thermal limit, it will lower the clock speeds automatically. If you notice the sudden performance dip after prolonged sessions, then I would start to monitor things.

The only reason a stock cpu cooler might not be able to adequately cool the cpu it was designed to would be if it wasn't installed correctly. Not pushed in tight enough or, say, you're attempting to use your own thermal paste and didn't apply it correctly.

#7 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (394 posts) -

@andrewb: Which could totally be the case since it is my first build. If I notice slowdown, I'll know what to do. Thanks!

#8 Posted by Hardywells (47 posts) -

Stock coolers are usually pretty rubbish and loud. You can grab a relatively cheap cooler like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 (you can find slightly cheaper but the hyper 212 evo has great reviews and is easy to install). Or you can always use an AIO liquid cooler like the corsair hydro series which will work even better. http://www.newegg.com/Corsair-Water-Liquid-Cooling/BrandSubCat/ID-1459-575

You can easily knock that load temp down 25 - 35 degrees Celsius.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.