Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Wow, I'm impressed!

Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

Edited By Computerplayer1

I'll apologize ahead of time if the blog title got your attention and you were hoping for something like...say, a half naked chick. Unfortunately for you, this is another blog about my computer (I swear this will be one of the last for a while haha).

After a talk with my bestest friend in the whole world when it comes to computer talk (and she's tolerable, which makes things better), Chili dragon, I found out that my CPU running at 68C at load is perfectly fine, I had to go and re-overclock.

I had reverted my clockings for fear of heat (I'm on stock cooling with air only), but low and behold my 3.6ghz overclock at 1.15 volts runs at basically the exact same temperature...so why not?

I then got all brave and overclocked my GPUs as well. Again, they're idling at basically the same temp which is great (~40C, and ~46C at 50% fan speed). At load (running 3dmark06) they don't go above 70C which is apparently not bad at all for the cards. The only game I've seen make my cards go to the max I've seen of 72C is Crysis...so whatever. My core clocks are running at 735mhz, shader clock is at 1831mhz, and the memory clock is at 1030mhz. They won't go much higher than that without crashing, so it's awesome they stay so cool.

The WOW in the title is about my 3dmark06 point increase. At stock clocks on both my GPU and CPU, I was in the 13, or 14,000s. With these overclocks I'm getting 16,600 points! I'm super pleased with this, and I can see a fairly major difference in FPS in the harsh spots during the demo so this is great.

These little tweaks, coupled with a heatsink for my cpu which will be coming relatively soon, should give me a little extra juice to keep these "older" parts a bit longer before an upgrade. If I can keep the heat down, then these overclocks shouldn't shorten the life of the parts at all. In fact, with that heat sink, the CPU's life will only be increased. Huzzah!

Just in case you don't know what my computer is exactly (I copy blogs from gamespot to here, so many of you wouldn't) here are some specs:

EVGA nForce 750i FTW edition Motherboard

Wolfdale E8500 3.16ghz @3.6ghz

SLI EVGA 9800GT SC (OC in the text above)

4 gigs (2x2 gigs) Corsair XMS DDR2 1066 RAM

WD Cavier 640 GB HDD

Vista Home Premium

Anyway, I'm done rambling about my computer for a while. I'm still working through Persona 4 and will review it when I'm done.

Have a good one,

CP1

Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Computerplayer1

I'll apologize ahead of time if the blog title got your attention and you were hoping for something like...say, a half naked chick. Unfortunately for you, this is another blog about my computer (I swear this will be one of the last for a while haha).

After a talk with my bestest friend in the whole world when it comes to computer talk (and she's tolerable, which makes things better), Chili dragon, I found out that my CPU running at 68C at load is perfectly fine, I had to go and re-overclock.

I had reverted my clockings for fear of heat (I'm on stock cooling with air only), but low and behold my 3.6ghz overclock at 1.15 volts runs at basically the exact same temperature...so why not?

I then got all brave and overclocked my GPUs as well. Again, they're idling at basically the same temp which is great (~40C, and ~46C at 50% fan speed). At load (running 3dmark06) they don't go above 70C which is apparently not bad at all for the cards. The only game I've seen make my cards go to the max I've seen of 72C is Crysis...so whatever. My core clocks are running at 735mhz, shader clock is at 1831mhz, and the memory clock is at 1030mhz. They won't go much higher than that without crashing, so it's awesome they stay so cool.

The WOW in the title is about my 3dmark06 point increase. At stock clocks on both my GPU and CPU, I was in the 13, or 14,000s. With these overclocks I'm getting 16,600 points! I'm super pleased with this, and I can see a fairly major difference in FPS in the harsh spots during the demo so this is great.

These little tweaks, coupled with a heatsink for my cpu which will be coming relatively soon, should give me a little extra juice to keep these "older" parts a bit longer before an upgrade. If I can keep the heat down, then these overclocks shouldn't shorten the life of the parts at all. In fact, with that heat sink, the CPU's life will only be increased. Huzzah!

Just in case you don't know what my computer is exactly (I copy blogs from gamespot to here, so many of you wouldn't) here are some specs:

EVGA nForce 750i FTW edition Motherboard

Wolfdale E8500 3.16ghz @3.6ghz

SLI EVGA 9800GT SC (OC in the text above)

4 gigs (2x2 gigs) Corsair XMS DDR2 1066 RAM

WD Cavier 640 GB HDD

Vista Home Premium

Anyway, I'm done rambling about my computer for a while. I'm still working through Persona 4 and will review it when I'm done.

Have a good one,

CP1

Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Computerplayer1

I know this will be moved to the PC forum, and thanks ahead of time for doing so. I'd put it there if I had the choice, but I don't as of yet.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By subject2change

Doing that on stock cooler is pretty damn good. Must of gotten a great chip.

I am running;
    E8400 at 3.6 (Full load is 75 degrees, my board reads wrong so i don't take it to heart); planning on a Q9550 or Q9650 by the end of the year anyway.
    ZEROTherm Nirvana (will go Coolermaster V8 when I change)
    EVGA 750i SLI FTW
    EVGA GTX280
    EVGA 8800GTS KO G92 (Dedicated Physx card)
    8Gigs of Mushkin DDR2 800 4-4-4-12
    OCZ GameXStream 700w PSU
    LG 23" Monitor 1920x1080
    150 Gig Raptor (SATA)
    320 Gig WD (SATA) - Will be replaced by WD Black 1TB eventually
    500 Gig Seagate (IDE)
    750 Gig WD (SATA)
    1TB Seagate (SATA)
    Liteon DVD-RW (IDE)

Wish the mobo had 6 or more sata ports i'd go with a blu-ray burner; i'll just wait til i go i7 in like 2 years tho lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.