Yet another excuse for why I'm not a PC gamer

• 56 results
Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Don't get me wrong. If I could I would, I just can't for lots of reasons that I'm too lazy to address. Anyways, guess I'll talk about em. 

My computer is pretty bad when it comes to gaming, especially if I want objects to be distinguishable as actual things. I can't really play any of the new games from this generation. Recently, I played the Half-Life games.  

HL1: Ran perfectly. No issues at all. :) 
HL2: Had to turn literally everything down but the volume for it to run well. On medium quality it ran at like 17FPS, which isn't very fun.  

So, there, my first reason is I have a bad computer for playing games on. So, why don't I just buy a new computer? Because I don't have sufficient funds to spend on something that is going to be outdated in a year, and upgrading certain aspects of a computer can be tedious and quite frankly confusing. 

Also, and probably my main point for writing all this, I don't think I can handle the power a PC gives you in gaming. This is mainly things like the console and modding. 

If I had a decent gaming PC, I would definitely be cheating ALL THE TIME. Its too easy to pull up the console and type "god" and have unlimited health, or ammo, or whatever. I know it would ruin the experience for me, but I can't help it if its there the whole time ready for me to cheat with. I played through most of HL1 without cheats, until I realized I could cheat and then proceeded to noclip to beat the last boss. Luckilly, HL2 doesn't have a console, or at least one that comes up when I push the ~ button. But Oblivion did and I played it for maybe 30 minutes before giving myself every spell in the game and trying to murder the shit out of Uriel Septim in the sewer. Then I stopped playing altogether and got it on console later to play through without cheating. 

So that's basically  why I'm not a PC gamer. 

The tilde key is bad news bears for me, but what about you guys? Do you fight the urge, or cheat your way through games like me?

#1 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Don't get me wrong. If I could I would, I just can't for lots of reasons that I'm too lazy to address. Anyways, guess I'll talk about em. 

My computer is pretty bad when it comes to gaming, especially if I want objects to be distinguishable as actual things. I can't really play any of the new games from this generation. Recently, I played the Half-Life games.  

HL1: Ran perfectly. No issues at all. :) 
HL2: Had to turn literally everything down but the volume for it to run well. On medium quality it ran at like 17FPS, which isn't very fun.  

So, there, my first reason is I have a bad computer for playing games on. So, why don't I just buy a new computer? Because I don't have sufficient funds to spend on something that is going to be outdated in a year, and upgrading certain aspects of a computer can be tedious and quite frankly confusing. 

Also, and probably my main point for writing all this, I don't think I can handle the power a PC gives you in gaming. This is mainly things like the console and modding. 

If I had a decent gaming PC, I would definitely be cheating ALL THE TIME. Its too easy to pull up the console and type "god" and have unlimited health, or ammo, or whatever. I know it would ruin the experience for me, but I can't help it if its there the whole time ready for me to cheat with. I played through most of HL1 without cheats, until I realized I could cheat and then proceeded to noclip to beat the last boss. Luckilly, HL2 doesn't have a console, or at least one that comes up when I push the ~ button. But Oblivion did and I played it for maybe 30 minutes before giving myself every spell in the game and trying to murder the shit out of Uriel Septim in the sewer. Then I stopped playing altogether and got it on console later to play through without cheating. 

So that's basically  why I'm not a PC gamer. 

The tilde key is bad news bears for me, but what about you guys? Do you fight the urge, or cheat your way through games like me?

#2 Posted by Dunchad (474 posts) -

Well, I can correct few of your assumptions.

First, if you were to buy a decent computer now, it would not be outdated in a year. I've usually upgraded every 3-4 years, depending on the need. My current PC is over 4 years old, but I have upgraded the graphics card. And if you're not playing the "top of the line" games, it can last much longer - I don't plan on upgrading this machine anytime soon since most of the games I play are indie titles or games where the graphics are not that important.

As for the cheating aspect - it's not really that easy these days. I use cheats every now and then - especially on RPGs I might do a replay with cheats if I just want the story and don't need any more gameplay. Back in the day cheating was easy - just enable the console or type IDDQD and IDKFA and you're all set. But now, more often than not, there are no cheats for the game - if you're lucky, you might find a savegame/character editor from somewhere which probably won't work on the most recent version of the game anyway. So yeah - cheating is not likely to be a problem on most modern games.

Shame, that. I've bought plenty of games on Steam sales that I'm not that interested in, but I could do a speedrun with cheats just to see what it's all about - if it were that easy.

#3 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

PC run out after a couple of years. if your not playing the best game out there then there is no need to worry about upgrading.

#4 Posted by 71Ranchero (2679 posts) -

The price argument against pc gaming is pretty silly because ultimately you can game just fine with a $300 Dell and a $50 Dx10 Card(before rebate). You just wont be maxing out Crysis. Of course you will also just have a much better PC then what you have and frankly if your going to be spending time on a PC why not atleast have a decent one.  

If you buy a PC and it only lasts you a year, you are either a Hardware fanatic or you bought an old PC to begin with. 3-4 years atleast for a modern PC.

#5 Posted by mnzy (2912 posts) -

Yea, I have a nearly 4 year old PC and get play just fine. And there is better hardware out there than mine for very low money.

#6 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Your reasons are similar to mine for why I didn't use to be a PC gamer; I simply didn't have the money to buy a new computer, and if I wanted to upgrade I would be rebuilding everything anyways. It just wasn't reasonable for a kid in my family's economic position. It's the same reason why I never owned more than one console per generation. I ended up finally buying a laptop for college a while back, and now a whole new world has opened up to me.

There also hasn't been a need to worry about upgrading since the market for graphics card hasn't been booming in the past few years, same reason we're still on this generation of consoles.

As for cheating, I have the same bizarre problem. It's why I still buy all my Bethesda games on consoles instead of PC.

#7 Posted by John1912 (1833 posts) -
@MistaSparkle: I never use cheats,  It ruins the game for me.  I could see maybe a buff cheat. content unlocks, but god mode, instagib or,whatever, completely remove any fun, 

Ive always been a split console and PC gamer, but I have to admit PC is a poor medium for gaming.  For all its pluses, PC gaming has always been a bit of a mess from having too many options,  Combined with high cost, bugs, and really needing to be competent with a computer keeps most people away from it. 

I think it says a lot about PC gaming that Oblivion was the first game to require a DVD drive.  Also what made PC gaming so great was it could run games you would never see on a console.  That doesnt happen anymore. 
#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

you are one corrupt monkey :P

#9 Posted by Galiant (2181 posts) -

Ew, cheats.

1) Stop cheating

2) Get a job

3) ????

4) Profit

#10 Posted by Gooddoggy (409 posts) -

I used to play mainly on the PC, but have been playing on consoles almost exclusively for the last five or six years. I was never bothered by having to upgrade regularly, but I got absolutely fed up with the time and effort it took to get games to run properly (or at all).

#11 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

PC gameing is a pain in the ass.

#12 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Um, if you're having trouble running HL2 you must be using a PC from 2003. If you tried playing PS3 discs on a PS2, pretty sure that would fail too. 

#13 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

You know.. just because you can doesn't mean you HAVE to cheat. Besides, most games doesn't utilize things like the console to the degree where you can just write "god" 

Mostly when I cheat it's through a character editor or something. I used one in spots in The Witcher when I didn't want to grind levels or money or something like that. I do it for the story anyway so why not?

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

Those are all pretty terrible reasons not to game on PC for reason that have been stated and will be stated again in this thread.

#15 Posted by MonetaryDread (1993 posts) -
@MistaSparkle said:
  Because I don't have sufficient funds to spend on something that is going to be outdated in a year  
It doesn't work like that.  I built a computer in 07' for $800 and there isn't a single game I can't run with better graphics and frame rate than their console counterparts.  

upgrading certain aspects of a computer can be tedious and quite frankly confusing. 

It's as idiot-proof as plugging blue cable into the blue socket.  Parts are even designed so that you have to go out of your way to install them wrong.  The hardest part about the whole process is installing drivers, and that is as simple as putting a CD in your optical drive.
#16 Posted by Tordah (2471 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
Those are all pretty terrible reasons not to game on PC for reason that have been stated and will be stated again in this thread.
Pretty much. Actually, I'm not sure I would even call them reasons. They're more like excuses.
#17 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

I apologize, but allow me to ruin HL2 for you:  you have to enable the console in the options, then you can bring it up with the tilde key as per normal and have ready access to god mode and all weapons and all that stuff. 

Anyway, I've used cheats to dick around in games all the time, but I would never use them to get past something in the middle of legitimate gameplay.  It's not something I find at all tempting because it doesn't even feel like I'm playing a game at that point.  I'm just bending the rules to lazily avoid having to roll with the restrictions the game has in place.

#18 Edited by gike987 (1751 posts) -

Before achievements many console games allowed you to cheat too, so I don't see how that would be something unique to the PC.

#19 Posted by Grillbar (1800 posts) -

i personally love pc gaming, the only thing i had it playing a fps online.

right now the only thing that is pissing me off about pc hardware is that the video card that i ordered might not be an option i ordered the radeon hd 6990 its about 4-5 month since it was released as far as i can remember and its nowhere to be found in my country, not anymore altleast i have tryed in basicly every physical store and online store and no one has it and they dont know if they will ever get it since it might be that they are not produced anymore, so basicly i either have to go dual card on the number smaller or wait, since i dont like the geforce anymore

#20 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Did you really use cheating as a reason? I stopped cheating in games when I was like 12 years old. Most games are not that hard to figure out and are a thousand times more gratifying when you play it well the way it was intended to be played.

To each their own I guess, but "your own" is kind of stupid.

#21 Posted by bybeach (4734 posts) -

If your pc cannot even run HL2, seems to me a new PC might be in order for all reasons. You will see performance accross the board, access to web pages etc shoot up.

#22 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

800-1000$ = a pc to play top of the line games for 2 years easy while after that you will have to start turning things down but honestly even the top of the line games look awesome / way better then any console version with half the settings on medium.

#23 Posted by John1912 (1833 posts) -
@MonetaryDread: " It's as idiot-proof as plugging blue cable into the blue socket.  Parts are even designed so that you have to go out of your way to install them wrong.  The hardest part about the whole process is installing drivers, and that is as simple as putting a CD in your optical drive." 

I recently got a new PC, old on was dual 2.3GHZ, and a 325meg 9800 GTX.  Around that time I stopped following GPUs/hardware in general,  Fuck, I think if its not confusing as shit to pick one out.  Names and numbers are fucking none sense.  It didnt help that I was unaware the market had been flooded with god awful low budget cards prob worse quality then on board GPU's.   

I made sure my new PC came with a actual card and not a on board GPU.  Saw it was DX11, 1gb of memory, figured fuck, gotta be better then my 4 year old 9800. Cant upgrade later.... Yea it, was like a 4600 HD, I threw that thing out. Computers are rarely simple.  Fucking say here, put this in your PC, fucker will prob come back with static in his system.
#24 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5251 posts) -

@McShank said:

800-1000$ = a pc to play top of the line games for 2 years easy while after that you will have to start turning things down but honestly even the top of the line games look awesome / way better then any console version with half the settings on medium.

I think over the 4 years that I have had my PC and after getting new RAM and upgrading the graphics card twice, I have put in about 600-700 total and, while it is starting to show it's age with the Witcher 2, other games run at 60+ fps at 1080p just fine. CPU heavy games like BFBC2 and such do struggle a bit though due to an old ass CPU, but I'm still happy with it for now.

#25 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -

One of the great things about consoles getting more and more powerful is that it means that upgrading your graphics card is a thing of the past.  The Xbox 360 and PS3 have had the same processor and graphics cards for the last 6 or 7 years now.  My PC has had the exact same hardware for about 5 years, the reason I don't need to upgrade is that a lot of companies are making games that have to work on the Xbox 360 and PS3 so games are optimised better and so run and look better on the exact same hardware.  I'm keeping my PC, I can deal with running super high end PC games (ArmA 3, Skyrim, Battlefield 3) on medium for a year or 2.  I'll give my PC a massive upgrade when the new console generation is out, that'll cost me the same as a PS4 or Xbox 361 and the games will look better and be better to play. 

Using cheats as an excuse is plain dumb, I actually blame achievements for this.  People seem to want to get to the end of games as quickly as possible and ignore the actual fun bits of the game.  One of the coolest things in oblivion is getting more powerful by upgrading equipment, getting new skills and spells.  Whatever your loss kid.

#26 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Only advice I can give is: if your tower has expandable memory, get some more damn memory, you can get it pretty cheap if you look, and it can improve a rig A LOT.

#27 Posted by warxsnake (2639 posts) -

Buy mid-to-high parts instead of low-to-mid. 

Solves everything in life. 

#28 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Honestly, the main reason im not a PC gamer is because of the price of constantly upgrading a nice compy. But hey, maybe after im out of college and a real job...i will hopefully be able to join the PC gamers, while continuing my console gaming.

#29 Posted by misterhaan (227 posts) -

i’ve been building my own computers since a short time before the pentium cpu came out.  i have more than once upgraded my computer so i could play a game:  sometimes so i could get it to run at all, and sometimes so i could get it to run better.  i’m on the verge of doing that again because the newer games i’m playing have been crashing.  i think it’s either a ram problem (as in one of my 4 sticks is bad) or a heat problem, so when i move from core 2 to core i5 and get new ddr3 instead of ddr2 ram i’m also getting a few more case fans.  i know what you mean about it being confusing though — i know what i’m doing well enough to know which parts are good parts, but that only lessens my chances of getting stuck with some issue (like the one i’m having now).  if your computer bluescreens at seemingly random points that’s difficult to figure out.  you typically don’t get that if you buy an entire system, but there’s another sort of confusion that comes with that.

as for cheating, yeah it’s typically easier to do on a single-player game on a computer than on a console.  back in the day i froze a memory location so i could play f-15 strike eagle ii with unlimited missiles, and more recently i found a console code to enter so i could play through half-life 2 with the super gravity gun because i thought it would be fun to just fling enemies around for the whole game (it was).  i actually find that the ability to mod and even cheat makes gaming on a computer more fun.  i don’t have a problem resisting the temptation to turn on god mode for a difficult battle or noclip to get past a jumping puzzle though, so if that’s not you then you may want to stick to multiplayer games on the computer that will kick you out for cheating.

i definitely recommend upgrading your computer though.  when i get my core i5 i’ll move the guts of the core 2 to my basement and will have a leftover pentium d system that will have no problem running half-life 2 if you put a $10 video card in it.  my point here is people are getting rid of hardware that’s apparently better than yours...

#30 Posted by EveretteScott (1449 posts) -
@MistaSparkle: A computer being outdated in a year is an urban legend and the more people that stop thinking like that the better.
#31 Edited by Solemn (278 posts) -

Because I don't have sufficient funds to spend on something that's going to be outdated in a year

You can get a brand new PC for 300 DOLLARS that can run Half Life 2 full smack at more than 40 frames a second and Modern Warfare 2 at about the same frame rate. And a PC like that can last a little over three years. 

And you're not a PC gamer because you force yourself to use cheats? Come on.
#32 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

You've gotta be the dumbest newbie I've ever seen. You've got white out all over your screen! You think your commodore 64 is really neat-o, what kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?

#33 Posted by DystopiaX (5296 posts) -

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@McShank said:

I think over the 4 years that I have had my PC and after getting new RAM and upgrading the graphics card twice, I have put in about 600-700 total and, while it is starting to show it's age with the Witcher 2, other games run at 60+ fps at 1080p just fine. CPU heavy games like BFBC2 and such do struggle a bit though due to an old ass CPU, but I'm still happy with it for now.

I built an 800 dollar pc 3 months ago and have been able to max everything out, and probably will be able to for awhile. It's not like before where console cycles were quicker and accelerating everything, I haven't touhced a game I couldn't max out and get 60+ fps. Granted I haven't played Witcher 2, which probably would force me to turn shit down, but the fact is that you can buy a relatively cheap computer and be able to play games on it. PC devs can't make requirements so damn high anymore cause PC gamers are a dying breed, so relatively cheap machines should be able to play games fine.

#34 Posted by MackGyver (523 posts) -

Not really. Just because you have the option of cheating doesn't mean you should. I'm hoping you have a bit more willpower than that. Also that's the reason you quit gaming on the PC? No offense but in my opinion, that's pretty lame. The console/cheating option has been around for years, and before that there were DOS commands. There is nothing wrong with PC gaming. I game on consoles and PC and I'm pretty happy with both. 
Sorry to say this but it's just you.

#35 Posted by PatchRowcester (215 posts) -

The way I see it, here are the problems with PC gaming: 

1. Keeping up with the hardware - Not in terms of buying, but knowing what hardware is right for you. Its not as easy as deciding which console is right for you - there are only 3 you could chose from. You got tons of hardware combinations, and if you are entirely new, that can be challenging. 

2. Building your own PC - I think this is a challenge for a lot of people. Although PC parts have become idiot proof to a large extent, and there are tons of tutorials available, it can challenging for someone who never built a PC before. 

3. Upgrading - This is often cited, but most of the the time its taken way out of context. You don't need a high end PC to play most games. PC gaming is not all about AAA titles. It is entirely possible to have an older PC and still get a lot of PC gaming. 

Pros

Everything else you can think of. :)

#36 Posted by Ghostiet (5228 posts) -

What the fuck, Half-Life 2 barely works? That game is designed to work on GeForce 2 MMX.

And that cheating argument is super dumb. I'm sorry.

#37 Posted by AlisterCat (5489 posts) -

@EveretteScott said:

@MistaSparkle: A computer being outdated in a year is an urban legend and the more people that stop thinking like that the better.

Well, it is more misunderstood. It relies on the rookie PC gamer mistake of thinking you have to have the best. It doesn't even have to be a year for newer components to come out that are better than yours, but to those who aren't technically minded this means that their PC is no longer any good, and games will be released to take advantage of the new hardware and not theirs. We know that isn't true. My PC is over 3 years old and I can run every game max while also streaming HD video on a second monitor. Unless you catch a very bad time in the hardware cycle you dont have to upgrade at all.

#38 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Real reasons why you shouldn't be a PC gamer shouldn't be because you can't afford a new PC, it should be because one day you will install Steam on it and its seasonal sales will wreak havoc on your wallet.

Suddenly you have a backlog 100+ big and it all began innocently enough because you wanted to try Audiosurf.

#39 Posted by SlashDance (1806 posts) -

PCs are no longer outdated as quickly as they used to.

#40 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I can't play PS3 games on the PS2 and that's why I'm not a console gamer.

#41 Posted by Solemn (278 posts) -
@ryanwho said: 

I can't play PS3 games on the PS2 and that's why I'm not a console gamer.

Same, can't play my PSP games on the Game & Watch so I refuse to be a console gamer.
#42 Posted by topgunner87 (18 posts) -

The majority of what the OP says is a valid opinion about their personal approach to gaming as far as cheating and such, but I just don't understand why they (and many other gamers for that matter) always bring up obsolescence as a reason to avoid PC gaming.  Somebody, somewhere, some time ago got it in their head that being a PC gamer means upgrading your computer ever single year for no less than 1000 USD each time.  This is just simply not the case.  I could launch into a lengthy explanation as to why that's not true, but it's been covered in counltess other posts on a countless number of forums around the internet (and even mentioned a few times in this thread).  Gather up the courage and save the money to build your own gaming rig.  Think of it as an adventure.  There is no better feeling than using something you put together yourself, and when you're done I promise it will be your favorite piece of technology that you own.

I'll end with one of my favorite quotes that helps diffuse some of the intimidation of building your own PC, "Building a PC is just LEGOS for adults."

#43 Posted by Chop (1995 posts) -

My reason is even more pathetic.  

I can't game on the PC anymore because of Steam. Before Steam, I was happy to run to the store and buy boxed PC games and enjoy them. But since the rise of DD, I feel like a chump if I buy a PC game for full priced and my internet has far too many issues to use Steam. 

Yay!

#44 Posted by mrhankey (695 posts) -
@MistaSparkle

You do realize that there is like 6 years or so between HL1 and HL2 right?
#45 Edited by Jace (1092 posts) -

>implying every game has an easy access console like Valve's. (All of Valve's games have a super easy console interface, even HL2....)

>implying that your argument is any more valid than, "Oh the N64 and PS1 had gameshark, and it was too easy to cheat so I never played any of the games."

>implying you can't not use cheats.

#46 Posted by SSully (4129 posts) -

I upgrade about everyone 4 years. I have gone longer because sometimes the new most powerful games just down interest me.

A shitty blog post which could easily have just said, "Because I am really just not interested" instead of a long list of excuses.

#47 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4909 posts) -

Only time i used cheats was when IDDQD, IDKFA, and L+I+M was useful.

#48 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

this blog is pretty bad ...

#49 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

Since getting a new processor and thanks to Steam and all their glorious sales, I've turned more into a PC gamer than console gamer. I like getting games for $5 and giving me the freedom a lot of console games don't.

#50 Posted by TanoPrime (180 posts) -

Admit it. You're broke, no real job, woman takes your money in child payments for your 5 kids, parole officer on your back and your puppy has scabs.  That is why you aren't a PC gamer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.