your crazy peripheral stories

#1 Edited by super2j (1653 posts) -

I have been using the logitech chillstream ps3 controller with the x360ce application to play games that needed a controller and it got the job done but it was not perfect. I finally got the 360 pc controller and 5 minutes with it in the original bioshock show a world of difference and I am so happy I made this purchase. It has been a long dark road, but it is finally over. Thank you.

Now, I like to think that the set up i had was pretty ridiculous because I turned a third party ps3 controller into a pc 360 controller. What are the crazy set ups you have had? pictures appreciated.

#2 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Crazy set up? Nothing. One time Motion Joy (Third Party Dualshock PC drivers) bricked my PC and lost me years of data because I was a kid without the means to back shit up.

I feel your pain on shitty controllers though. I had a really, really cheap $15 gamepad for my 360 at some point because I couldn't afford 4 normal 360 controllers. That thing was awful and fell apart pretty quickly. Barely worked, felt like shit, and was really really uncomfortable.

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I once saw a .gif of a very flexible woman and a(n) N64 controller.

That's not even the worst anecdote: One time I played Super Meat Boy with a keyboard.

#4 Posted by super2j (1653 posts) -

Crazy set up? Nothing. One time Motion Joy (Third Party Dualshock PC drivers) bricked my PC and lost me years of data because I was a kid without the means to back shit up.

I feel your pain on shitty controllers though. I had a really, really cheap $15 gamepad for my 360 at some point because I couldn't afford 4 normal 360 controllers. That thing was awful and fell apart pretty quickly. Barely worked, felt like shit, and was really really uncomfortable.

oh wow, I remember playing around with motion Joy, and I didn't back things up either, I was lucky enough not to have crashed my computer.

Did you also own the madcats modern warefare controller? because when you described your controllers, thats the first thing i thought of, its my official second controller for ps3.

#5 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

I have my wired 360 controller mapped to all of my console and arcade emulators on PC and it works out well for most games.

I recently started using xpadder for other PC games and actually came up with some really nice configs for Thief 1 & 2, Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis, Amnesia and STALKER. If you had told me a couple of months ago that I'd be playing any of those games in my living room on a TV with a controller, I would have said it was impossible.

My next challenge is a working control scheme for System Shock 2.

#6 Edited by Daveyo520 (6652 posts) -

The "craziest" thing I had for my PC growing up was a joystick and that was it really.

#7 Edited by SlashDance (1804 posts) -

I have a Sidewinder Freestyle Pro in a drawer somewhere. I got it when it came out in 1998. It was basically a sixaxis, but a shitty one !

I didn't care. I could control cars with my mind (almost).

#8 Posted by super2j (1653 posts) -

I have a Sidewinder Freestyle Pro in a drawer somewhere. I got it when it came out in 1998. It was basically a sixaxis, but a shitty one !

I didn't care. I could control cars with my mind (almost).

so what you are saying is that sony just stole this controller, made it silver, and called it the boomerang?

#9 Posted by SlashDance (1804 posts) -

@super2j: and never released it because they suck !

#10 Edited by super2j (1653 posts) -

@super2j: and never released it because they suck !

ok, I have a business opportunity for you. Lets go to ebay and buy up all the sidewinders, spray paint them silver and sell them to people who want the boomerang controller. We will be rich!!!

#11 Posted by SlashDance (1804 posts) -

@super2j: Deal. Launching the kickstarter right now.

#12 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@super2j: Pretty sure the controller I had mentioned was a madcatz device. Fucking piece of trash, but I did get it for next to nothing so I guess that's expected.

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

When I lived in New Zealand, I couldn't bring my consoles with me (my Gamecube or PS2) so I got way into N64 emulation. There was a part in Ocarina of Time I couldn't get passed, because my Gravis Gamepad didn't have analogue controls, only a D-pad, so I couldn't line up a hookshot target. So I went down to the "Dicksmith Electronics" and bought a flight stick, because it was the only PC controller with an analog stick they had. After re-mapping all of the buttons, I found the game actually played quite well with a flight stick- especially mapping the Z-button to the trigger on the back.

#14 Edited by super2j (1653 posts) -

When I lived in New Zealand, I couldn't bring my consoles with me (my Gamecube or PS2) so I got way into N64 emulation. There was a part in Ocarina of Time I couldn't get passed, because my Gravis Gamepad didn't have analogue controls, only a D-pad, so I couldn't line up a hookshot target. So I went down to the "Dicksmith Electronics" and bought a flight stick, because it was the only PC controller with an analog stick they had. After re-mapping all of the buttons, I found the game actually played quite well with a flight stick- especially mapping the Z-button to the trigger on the back.

how many people in the world experienced that game with a flight stick? You are probably one of the few within the 6billion in the world

#15 Edited by Inkerman (1449 posts) -

That's fucking amazing.

#16 Posted by super2j (1653 posts) -

I decided I want to install motionjoy and because of this, I now have 5 possible inputs. All three of my ps3 controllers (two of them are random 3rd party brands) all work on pc. The logitech controller plugs in thru a cable, the other madcatz controller connects wirelessly thru a dongle, the xbox plugs in thru cable, the ps3 will connect with bluetooth and there is always the keyboard. I already started playing trine 2 with family (Feels soooo coool) what else can I play that would be fun to play locally on pc?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.