Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Your tech knowledge

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By agent_lost

Since there so many question about Hardware and PC problem in the PC forum. I want to do a check what are your PC Knowledge.

I start, well I'm computer tech., with a good knowledge of hardware. I can build PC and configure a new PC with out a problem. Also a very good knowledge of Internet connection.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I had a strong, solid foundation in QBasic and Visual Basic about ten years ago.  I haven't done any programming in nearly eight, so saying I'm rusty doesn't even fit the bill.  I do minor computer repairs for friends, mostly software or OS related.  I used to be able to tear apart a computer and build 'em back up again, but my vision is so bad these days that I'm afraid I'd break something if I ever tried again.

I also underwent some basic Microsoft training through a local computer school.  I studied VBasic, Frontpage, and Office, but I didn't get certified.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I know my way around a computer, but I'm not an expert or anything like that.

Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zebadee

I have been programming since I was 11 (now 17), I use a lot of C++ and C# to create games and develop the odd website with PHP/MySQL. I have built gaming pcs for myself and my friends. I wouldn't say I can program at a professional level since I am still too young to get any experience in a real game development environment yet, hopefully after university.

Recently my computing teacher wanted me to create a game to show off at the colleges opening evening, he said I had to do it in Delphi which is a language I absolutely hate, I managed to create a nice tetris clone though.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Player1

I guess I have moderate knowledge. I could probably build a computer, but would have to look up some parts on the interwebs. Now for programming...know nothing about that. 

Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jigen

I'd say I'm very experienced, I've worked in the tech section of local computer shops even though I didn't have the qualification.  I PC gamed for more than 15 years, messed with computer pieces for that long, had computers before IBM PC compatibles...

In recent years I've paid more attention to LAN networking, but I bought an excellent technical book on TCP/IP networking back in 1997 and learned a LOT from that.

I wrote TIBASIC programs for my TI994a back in the late 1980's.  I've never learned much of many 'real' programming languages though.  I did a little C+ in high school, but I got tired with the stuff they were trying to teach me and went on to program vectors & help other students but didn't really pay attention to what they were trying to teach me.  I put up my first website in 1997, all by hand and I think it was very advanced for that time, nice use of frames & art design.  I had a much older friend who worked in professional tech and helped him with a website he was paid to do in ~1997.

I've also helped with a map that appeared in the retail UT2K4 disk.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By kush

My computer knowledge is based more around software and not hardware.

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Carlos

Im not an expert, actually I dont know many pc-terms but I am able to build pc's without problem and basically do anything I want to a computer :3 I'm also very good in following guides to get what I want.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By xruntime

I think I'm pretty well-versed in computer hardware and software. I've had extensive experience with parts and programming and the whole shebang, so that's what I attribute my knowledge to. I'm not a totally big-time expert, though.

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Maru

I just build my PCs as a hobby.   I'm familiar with all the hardware and overclocking but that's about it.  

Vandreren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vandreren

I've built computer for all my friends and myself for about 10 years now so I have a decent knowledge of hardware.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By albaker

I have alot of knowledge about computer hardware, building rigs and overclocking, but nothing about programming.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Yit

I know hardware, a bit of programming, and all sorts of hacking.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.