Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode Two

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 29, 2008

Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode 2 is the second in a series of episodic adventure role-playing games from Hothead Games and the creators of the titular webcomic.

On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Achievements Part Deux

telcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By telcus

The road to S Ranks marches on and on. I'm continuing on from last time with the second instalment in the Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice
    of Darkness games. Just as before, I played this game when it came out on Steam (twice actually) and this run is to finish off those last pesky achievements.

The second Penny Arcade Adventures episode is, like all sequels should hope to be, a better game than the first. The game itself is longer and the areas are more distinct and interesting. The combat has improved with the quick time events to fire off your special attacks now a lot more timer based, making them more of a challenge to pull off than the first game. There is also a larger variety of foes to bash with your fists/guns/garden implements and the mini-games and puzzle sections are spaced through out the entire play through. The writing is still quintessentially Jerry with genuine wit and the artwork and cut-scenes are done nicely in the Penny Arcade style. There is even a new game mode called "Insane" where the enemies don't telegraphs the block times for an extra challenge. All in all a solid improvement in most areas.

I say most areas because there is one part that really holds the game back and can lead to much swearing and gnashing of teeth. Somehow they managed to completely screw up the controls. As I said, the game is more timer based than the first one and the controls do not give you enough fidelity to deal with that. I kept missing blocks and firing off my big attacks because sometimes the game would completely fail to register my button presses. This is not cool when you need to kill enemies on a perfect special attack to fill your overkill meter (which nets you a permanent increase in damage) and completely shout-out-loud frustrating for one of the achievements I was missing on which I'll discuss, at length, later. Maybe it's just my PC that was causing this issue, but the first game did not have this problem so it can't be all me....can it?

Enough of my moaning. The game is still a hoot to play if just for the humour, writing and art. Plus, even with the messy controls, it's not a terribly hard one to finish in any case. It's been a while since I played it last but I'm pretty sure I finished it on Insane so I can't complain too much.

On to the achievement farming!

I had 4 missing achievements (Reluctant Hero, Pack Rat Strikes Again, Power Surrrge! and Pervert) and set about to get them with gusto, starting from the beginning with my S-Ranker from the first game. Reluctant Hero was literally completed in the first minute. You just have to refuse to go start the first mission 5 times, which feels like a nod to the old "But thou must" scenarios of the classic Ultima conversation trees.

Pack Rat Strikes Again was done soon after. Unlike the Pack Rat of the first game, which was to find all the collectibles in the game), this achievement just requires you to win a fight using only items. Quite easy on the memorable fruit "loving" robots. They are weak against the dynamite item and so go down before you really have to do worry about the caveat that you can't counter-attack.

Power Surrrge! is the current holder of my "Most Loathed Achievement Award" but I'm sure it will be knocked off soon. To get this you have to Max out one party member's hit counter. Each time you hit any enemy your hit counter goes up. If you fail to block an attack properly, your hit counter resets. Performing counter attacks are even better because they not only stop your counter resetting but they add to your hit counter as well. This is where my complaint about the controls comes to the fore. I first tried to do this achievement as part of the entire achievement collecting run. During my achievement run of the first episode I actually maxed my hit counter without specifically trying to so I thought it might be doable here. However, after multiple times when my hit counters were in the high twenties to thirties the game would either fail to register my block completely or delay it ever so slightly (okay this might be my fault, the jury is still out). I shouted, swore and then gave up in disgust and played Borderlands for a week. I refused to drop the difficulty down to easy on principal and so when I came back to this run I saved after every fight where I didn't lose my hit counter and reloaded if I got screwed over in the next. This ended up being the ticket to get this stupid achievement and I embarrassed myself by doing a fist pump when the little notice came up. Good thing no one was around.

Finally, Pervert was another easy badge to round out the game, just requiring me to click on a sensitive part of a stuffed rhino 5 times after a specific plot event. Huzzah! Done! I still played to the end though just for closures sake.

Well that does it for the Penny Arcade games. The second one implies there will be a third game in the series. It has yet to come out and judging by what I've heard from Jerry and Mike about how they feel about game development now they have actually tried it, it may never. That's a real shame if it is so because the series deserves at least an end to the excellent story and setting they've concocted.

Regardless, there are still plenty of games on my list to meta-play for achievement whoring glory!

telcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By telcus

The road to S Ranks marches on and on. I'm continuing on from last time with the second instalment in the Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice
    of Darkness games. Just as before, I played this game when it came out on Steam (twice actually) and this run is to finish off those last pesky achievements.

The second Penny Arcade Adventures episode is, like all sequels should hope to be, a better game than the first. The game itself is longer and the areas are more distinct and interesting. The combat has improved with the quick time events to fire off your special attacks now a lot more timer based, making them more of a challenge to pull off than the first game. There is also a larger variety of foes to bash with your fists/guns/garden implements and the mini-games and puzzle sections are spaced through out the entire play through. The writing is still quintessentially Jerry with genuine wit and the artwork and cut-scenes are done nicely in the Penny Arcade style. There is even a new game mode called "Insane" where the enemies don't telegraphs the block times for an extra challenge. All in all a solid improvement in most areas.

I say most areas because there is one part that really holds the game back and can lead to much swearing and gnashing of teeth. Somehow they managed to completely screw up the controls. As I said, the game is more timer based than the first one and the controls do not give you enough fidelity to deal with that. I kept missing blocks and firing off my big attacks because sometimes the game would completely fail to register my button presses. This is not cool when you need to kill enemies on a perfect special attack to fill your overkill meter (which nets you a permanent increase in damage) and completely shout-out-loud frustrating for one of the achievements I was missing on which I'll discuss, at length, later. Maybe it's just my PC that was causing this issue, but the first game did not have this problem so it can't be all me....can it?

Enough of my moaning. The game is still a hoot to play if just for the humour, writing and art. Plus, even with the messy controls, it's not a terribly hard one to finish in any case. It's been a while since I played it last but I'm pretty sure I finished it on Insane so I can't complain too much.

On to the achievement farming!

I had 4 missing achievements (Reluctant Hero, Pack Rat Strikes Again, Power Surrrge! and Pervert) and set about to get them with gusto, starting from the beginning with my S-Ranker from the first game. Reluctant Hero was literally completed in the first minute. You just have to refuse to go start the first mission 5 times, which feels like a nod to the old "But thou must" scenarios of the classic Ultima conversation trees.

Pack Rat Strikes Again was done soon after. Unlike the Pack Rat of the first game, which was to find all the collectibles in the game), this achievement just requires you to win a fight using only items. Quite easy on the memorable fruit "loving" robots. They are weak against the dynamite item and so go down before you really have to do worry about the caveat that you can't counter-attack.

Power Surrrge! is the current holder of my "Most Loathed Achievement Award" but I'm sure it will be knocked off soon. To get this you have to Max out one party member's hit counter. Each time you hit any enemy your hit counter goes up. If you fail to block an attack properly, your hit counter resets. Performing counter attacks are even better because they not only stop your counter resetting but they add to your hit counter as well. This is where my complaint about the controls comes to the fore. I first tried to do this achievement as part of the entire achievement collecting run. During my achievement run of the first episode I actually maxed my hit counter without specifically trying to so I thought it might be doable here. However, after multiple times when my hit counters were in the high twenties to thirties the game would either fail to register my block completely or delay it ever so slightly (okay this might be my fault, the jury is still out). I shouted, swore and then gave up in disgust and played Borderlands for a week. I refused to drop the difficulty down to easy on principal and so when I came back to this run I saved after every fight where I didn't lose my hit counter and reloaded if I got screwed over in the next. This ended up being the ticket to get this stupid achievement and I embarrassed myself by doing a fist pump when the little notice came up. Good thing no one was around.

Finally, Pervert was another easy badge to round out the game, just requiring me to click on a sensitive part of a stuffed rhino 5 times after a specific plot event. Huzzah! Done! I still played to the end though just for closures sake.

Well that does it for the Penny Arcade games. The second one implies there will be a third game in the series. It has yet to come out and judging by what I've heard from Jerry and Mike about how they feel about game development now they have actually tried it, it may never. That's a real shame if it is so because the series deserves at least an end to the excellent story and setting they've concocted.

Regardless, there are still plenty of games on my list to meta-play for achievement whoring glory!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.