Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Penny Arcade

Franchise »

Penny Arcade, originally a webcomic by Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, is also an episodic series of role-playing games developed by Hothead Games and later by Zeboyd Games.

Why I Love Penny Arcade

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

The comics are awesome, but the quality of writing is by far what makes Penny Arcade unique in its retro-flections of the Gaming Community and Industry. It's stunningly concise, whilst being gorgeously extravagant. It's like someone took my very opinions from the netherworld inside my head and made them interesting to read. I remain in awe. This weeks subject: Troll's.

I suppose this makes me a hypocrite retroactively, but I'm not saying that people shouldn't troll. That's a natural law, and I recognize its supremacy. What I'm suggesting is that they shouldn't troll in such an idiotic, transparent way.

Gabriel tells me such things are common, and we must endure these creatures until they molt into adulthood, but I wonder if a savage chop to the trachea would not accelerate the process.

The maturity with which the games industry is viewed is hampered by many things

A childish obessession with ultra-violence for one, compiled by an intricate web of internet locations where people are allowed free reign to spout whatever nonsense they see fit. (Forums). Developers often seem to be playing to these facts rather than trying to redistinguish them. Often information is witheld to "stop the forum kids going crazy", which drives me fucking insane. By all means filter the information you choose to pass on to the wider public but it's very frustrating how narrow minded this approach is. As someone who very rarely posts in forums but is deeply involved in the Gaming Community both as a consumer and aspiring developer, It fucks me off that forum kids are considered a primary concern.

No Caption Provided
    Sometimes I think the industry needs a wake-up call, someone to break free from the immature foundations. It's quite ironic that the games we consider to be the most Adult orientated (Anything with an M or 18+) like Gears Of War 2 are often the most childish in their simplified perception of both warfare and reality. I'm cynical enough to digest a sizable chunk of hollywood bullshit, but the crap these designers and developers seem to think is acceptable as mature content is ridiculous. In terms of provoking intelligent manipulation and exploration, the breeding plans of Pokemon Platinum are by far more mature than the Chainsaw slicing of Gears Of War 2. The content is mature, but the design is not.

I've blogged before, about the feeling of being treated like an utter moron by developers, but I guess the fault lies with the users. While the target market is being catered to teenage males, developers cannot progress mature designs efficiently. The ball seems to lie with Indie developers to go out on a limb and risk creating something truely groundbreaking and revolutionary. It's just a shame that the majority of people who are going to know about and constructively support it's existance are still waiting for their balls to drop.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

The comics are awesome, but the quality of writing is by far what makes Penny Arcade unique in its retro-flections of the Gaming Community and Industry. It's stunningly concise, whilst being gorgeously extravagant. It's like someone took my very opinions from the netherworld inside my head and made them interesting to read. I remain in awe. This weeks subject: Troll's.

I suppose this makes me a hypocrite retroactively, but I'm not saying that people shouldn't troll. That's a natural law, and I recognize its supremacy. What I'm suggesting is that they shouldn't troll in such an idiotic, transparent way.

Gabriel tells me such things are common, and we must endure these creatures until they molt into adulthood, but I wonder if a savage chop to the trachea would not accelerate the process.

The maturity with which the games industry is viewed is hampered by many things

A childish obessession with ultra-violence for one, compiled by an intricate web of internet locations where people are allowed free reign to spout whatever nonsense they see fit. (Forums). Developers often seem to be playing to these facts rather than trying to redistinguish them. Often information is witheld to "stop the forum kids going crazy", which drives me fucking insane. By all means filter the information you choose to pass on to the wider public but it's very frustrating how narrow minded this approach is. As someone who very rarely posts in forums but is deeply involved in the Gaming Community both as a consumer and aspiring developer, It fucks me off that forum kids are considered a primary concern.

No Caption Provided
    Sometimes I think the industry needs a wake-up call, someone to break free from the immature foundations. It's quite ironic that the games we consider to be the most Adult orientated (Anything with an M or 18+) like Gears Of War 2 are often the most childish in their simplified perception of both warfare and reality. I'm cynical enough to digest a sizable chunk of hollywood bullshit, but the crap these designers and developers seem to think is acceptable as mature content is ridiculous. In terms of provoking intelligent manipulation and exploration, the breeding plans of Pokemon Platinum are by far more mature than the Chainsaw slicing of Gears Of War 2. The content is mature, but the design is not.

I've blogged before, about the feeling of being treated like an utter moron by developers, but I guess the fault lies with the users. While the target market is being catered to teenage males, developers cannot progress mature designs efficiently. The ball seems to lie with Indie developers to go out on a limb and risk creating something truely groundbreaking and revolutionary. It's just a shame that the majority of people who are going to know about and constructively support it's existance are still waiting for their balls to drop.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Gmanall

If I say something stupid and no one is around to hear it, is it still stupid?

Penny arcade is a great website

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Lunarbunny

I didn't realize CrunchUK was a writer for Penny Arcade.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Gmanall
    Lunarbunny said:
    "I didn't realize CrunchUK was a writer for Penny Arcade."
    What, are you saying that he wrote the cokezone 3?
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Dalai

Basically copy and paste what Sweep said and that's my reaction... although I don't "love" Penny Arcade.  They're alright.

Considering the 360 is supposed to be for "mature" gamers, Braid (rated E10+) is the most mature game on the system.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Jensonb

I 100% agree. I came to Penny-Arcade for Gabe's (FUCKING AMAZING SERIOUSLY I AM SO JEALOUS) art, but I stayed for the biting satire and supreme writing. Incidentally, this is the best dialogue in any Comic Strip EVER:

Picture of Gabe using Portals to slide infinitely
    Tycho (Responding): It's a solid plan and I endorse it.
    Gabe: Yeah. It's either that or use them tog et into the girl's bathroom. I wanna know what they do in there.
    Tycho: They pee.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

Where's my games? I'm an adult and a middle-aged one at that. I've said in the past that the Witcher is a mature game, but in reality it's a fantasy world with people doing childish things... have sex get a sex card, elves and dwarfs not able to live in harmony with the bigoted humans, run here kill that, nothing more than a child's game wrapped in the lowest common denominator and given an "M" for my adult enjoyment.

Kids rule the gaming world, having more time to visit and hang out on the forums. I've seen more mature posts on GiantBomb than a lot of other forums, so maybe there's hope. As the video game enthusiast press grow out of their old jobs and venture into a new realm of possibilities, that's where I see a culture change. It will be slow and many young gamers will grow out of their gaming habits and a slew of new kids will rule the block. With hope, these new young gamers will be aclamated to a whole new set of rules.

Or you can just try and find a more mature gaming site...

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By animateria

I always read the news post that goes with the comic, its always a great supplemental read.

Oh, and if you don't already subscribe to their podcast, I suggest you do so.

Its not really a podcast, but the conversation between them when making the comic. It's informative and hilarious in its own right.

Lots of good ideas that are thrown away so its like bonus comics, in audio form.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BoG

Sweep, I don't know what to say. Your comments on the "mature" themes in games... you nailed it. Kudos.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ
    animateria said:
    "I always read the news post that goes with the comic, its always a great supplemental read.Oh, and if you don't already subscribe to their podcast, I suggest you do so.Its not really a podcast, but the conversation between them when making the comic. It's informative and hilarious in its own right.Lots of good ideas that are thrown away so its like bonus comics, in audio form."
    You know whats even better than that? Watching them make a comic at PAX every year. Its hilarious.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I think the comics are amazing, and their insights into the culture are spot-on, but the blogs are some of the most pretentious fucking things I've ever read. I read the blogs every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, so don't get me wrong--I do love the site. But Christ, man. That man relies way too heavily on Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.