Delayed on XBLI

#1 Posted by Undeadpool (4866 posts) -

Tycho confirmed, via his newspage that PA Adventures 3 will be delayed for XBLI due to...I'm just going to quote, I'm so in awe of this being a reason to delay a game:

"You know how when you save your game, and a message comes up that says “Don’t Remove The Memory Card”? Well, if you are playing Precipice on an old Xbox with an MU and you decide to pull it out literally as you are saving the game, it will apparently crash. We thought we had accounted for that exact scenario but apparently our failsafes against timed MU pulls were not as tight as we had thought, so it failed Community Peer Review. That’s why it’s not coming out on the same day as the PC version, which manifests in all its glory on the 25th. We can’t resubmit for another seven days, so we (and you, if you want to play it on there) are in kind of a holding pattern. Zeboyd will push another build out on Tuesday; I’ll keep you posted.

Unbelievable that these guys are getting their game pushed back for what sounds like a minimum of a WEEK so that they can make sure that when Johnny AIN'T GONNA DO WHAT NO GAME TELLS ME pulls his MU out while saving the game, it doesn't crash...isn't that WHY the warning's there?!??!

#2 Posted by DarkShaper (1296 posts) -

That is so dumb that it has circled back around to funny. Although I probably would not find this so funny if that was the version I was planing to buy.

#3 Posted by ShaggE (5982 posts) -

That's amazing. I also love the metal image of a burly hick playing this game (for some reason... don't think that's PA's core demo), and getting all pissed off at that warning.

#4 Posted by Undeadpool (4866 posts) -

@DarkShaper said:

That is so dumb that it has circled back around to funny. Although I probably would not find this so funny if that was the version I was planing to buy.

I WAS planning on getting it through XBLI, but now I'll just grab it on Steam and jury rig my wife's laptop up to our TV. So they've created a LOT more work for me for something that NO ONE WOULD EVER DO. I mean I'm not blaming them, obviously, but this seems ludicrous.

#5 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1854 posts) -

@Undeadpool said:

NO ONE WOULD EVER DO.

I think you underestimate the depths of stupidity video game players are likely to be in.

#6 Posted by Undeadpool (4866 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@Undeadpool said:

NO ONE WOULD EVER DO.

I think you underestimate the depths of stupidity video game players are likely to be in.

I guess then my point becomes that's not the dev's fault...eeeh, I guess when we're posting warnings that hot stoves are hot, I'm just shouting at the wind.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (22708 posts) -

This is standard for certification practices. Nothing unusual about it.

Online
#8 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

As far as I'm concerned, this policy is preventing evolution from taking it's natural course.

#9 Posted by Pazy (2553 posts) -

Thats too bad, I had planned to get it there so I can use a controller easier (I currently have a jury rigged PS3 controller for PC) but if I have to wait a week ill probably just grab it on PC.

#10 Posted by Zidd (1832 posts) -

@Pazy: Those 360 wireless controller adapters for PC are fairly cheap these days.

Online
#11 Posted by Pazy (2553 posts) -

@Zidd said:

@Pazy: Those 360 wireless controller adapters for PC are fairly cheap these days.

I havent checked on them in a while. I may end up having to pick one up, I can never justify the £25 expense for a wired controller (unemployed) but I might be able to justify the £10/12 they want on Amazon for an adaptor.

#12 Edited by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

I'm going to go and yell at the Microsoft Offices about this. Anyone here want to bust me out of jail afterwards?

#13 Edited by JamesJeux007 (454 posts) -

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURGH

I thought the point of posting it on the XBLI was to circumvent the Microsoft bullcrap that comes with releasing a game on the XBLA... Apparently not ! It's seriously REALLY frustrating that this kind of thing happens on a regular basis with the XBLA. I mean, Telltale have to release episodes 2 to 5 of The Walking Dead as DLC just because Microsoft policies when it comes to putting games on the XBLA are fucked. You also had the "free" DLC for Bastion that cost you money if you had the game on the 360. I only used the XBLA once (for FEZ :'P) and even that was a crappy experience (turns out you can't buy 800 MSP digitally but if you go to a real store you can buy an 800 MSP card... wat ?).

I really hope that with the next Microsoft console they'll make their XBLA experience less... bad.

#14 Posted by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

@JamesJeux007 said:

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURGH

I thought the point of posting it on the XBLI was to circumvent the Microsoft bullcrap that comes with releasing a game on the XBLA... Apparently not ! It's seriously REALLY frustrating that this kind of thing happens on a regular basis with the XBLA. I mean, Telltale have to release episodes 2 to 5 of The Walking Dead as DLC just because Microsoft policies when it comes to putting games on the XBLA are fucked. You also had the "free" DLC for Bastion that cost you money if you had the game on the 360. I only used the XBLA once (for FEZ :'P) and even that was a crappy experience (turns out you can't buy 800 MSP digitally but if you go to a real store you can buy an 800 MSP card... wat ?).

I really hope that with the next Microsoft console they'll make their XBLA experience less... bad.

As long as you make a console your primary source you'll always get the one company trying to work you over for as much as they can.

#15 Posted by JamesJeux007 (454 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: Well, that's why I used to be a PS3 player... and then switched to computers ! And lemme tell you, with GOG and Steam, I'm never gonna go back :')

#16 Posted by JeanLuc (3518 posts) -

I'll just get it for PC then. Problem solved.

#17 Posted by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

@JamesJeux007 said:

@Doctorchimp: Well, that's why I used to be a PS3 player... and then switched to computers ! And lemme tell you, with GOG and Steam, I'm never gonna go back :')

It feels good to just look at all that weird next console speculation and shake your head.

Also a little sad that the next generation of consoles aren't even going to touch the 670.

#18 Posted by Undeadpool (4866 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

This is standard for certification practices. Nothing unusual about it.

I get that, I just don't think it's RIGHT. The game warns you not to do it. If you do it anyway, you should be stuck with the consequences (also: doesn't it corrupt the save anyway? So who cares if it crashes the game?)

@Pazy said:

Thats too bad, I had planned to get it there so I can use a controller easier (I currently have a jury rigged PS3 controller for PC) but if I have to wait a week ill probably just grab it on PC.

I've got, what I imagine, to be a fairly similar setup and so far so good on that. Except all the button prompts looking like Xbox ones.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (22708 posts) -

@Undeadpool said:

@Hailinel said:

This is standard for certification practices. Nothing unusual about it.

I get that, I just don't think it's RIGHT. The game warns you not to do it. If you do it anyway, you should be stuck with the consequences (also: doesn't it corrupt the save anyway? So who cares if it crashes the game?)

@Pazy said:

Thats too bad, I had planned to get it there so I can use a controller easier (I currently have a jury rigged PS3 controller for PC) but if I have to wait a week ill probably just grab it on PC.

I've got, what I imagine, to be a fairly similar setup and so far so good on that. Except all the button prompts looking like Xbox ones.

It's necessary. Trust me. As part of my past game testing expereince, I spent some time doing certification testing. And testing failure states during saving is one of those tasks. It's not just about some jackass yanking the memory card before the process is complete. Any number of factors could come into play, like an ill-timed power outage for example. The point is to ensure that if something does screw up the save process that the damage is minimized.

Online
#20 Posted by SamDrugbringer (1099 posts) -

This won't affect me because I was going to pick it up on Steam but MAAAAN, Why does Microsoft put that in their Cert? I guess maybe if I threw my 360 out a window I'd be happy my save might survive but... what?

#21 Posted by Undeadpool (4866 posts) -

@Hailinel: I considered a power outage, but at that point wouldn't ALL of the game to that point be lost anyway?

I get that there are cert processes to go through, it just seems a titsch unreasonable, ESPECIALLY considering some of the utter DRECK that gets shat out onto XBLI.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (22708 posts) -

@Undeadpool said:

@Hailinel: I considered a power outage, but at that point wouldn't ALL of the game to that point be lost anyway?

I get that there are cert processes to go through, it just seems a titsch unreasonable, ESPECIALLY considering some of the utter DRECK that gets shat out onto XBLI.

Certification is there only to ensure that the games function as required by the console manufacturers. They are not responsible for judging the quality of the individual games themselves.

Online
#23 Posted by kerse (2037 posts) -

Were episodes 1 and 2 good? Should I play them first?

#24 Posted by Undeadpool (4866 posts) -

@kerse said:

Were episodes 1 and 2 good? Should I play them first?

Yes, and you don't have to.

They're completely different gameplay and visual-wise, but the gameplay hooks are really fun and the writing is absolutely top-notch. BUT from what I've seen of the QL, it doesn't directly continue the storyline (though there are references to the previous two games).

#25 Edited by magimix (55 posts) -

Boooooooo! Thats my whole evening blown :-( Thats what I get for not following the buzz more closely; I'd been looking foward to getting my hands on this game every sicne I watched the QuickLook! That said, I could just get the Steam version (I assume it'll pick up my controller just fine if I plug it in)...

Edit: And yes, agree with the above. Eps 1 and 2 were very different from what I've seen of Ep 3, but they were both excellent games in their own right, I felt. I purchased Ep1 primarily due to the Penny Arcade hook, but I found myself enjoying the actual gameplay a great deal as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.