Where they hatin' in the Quick Look?

#1 Posted by Belonpopo (1822 posts) -

Just watched the Perfect Dark Quick Look and couldn't help but notice how they really didn't want to play Perfect Dark? What's the deal, PD is great a game that was just as good as Golden Eye, how come you didn't want to play it?

#2 Posted by Kbm600 (446 posts) -

I believe Jeff has stated before he is not the biggest fan of Golden Eye.

#3 Posted by Th3_James (2579 posts) -

I am guessing they weren't inclined to play for hours on end for the same reason that i wouldn't. There was a time and place for that game, perfect dark came out to late in the n64's life cycle for them to really spend much time with it. Golden eye is looked at in a better light because of the time it was released.  

#4 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -
#5 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Ya kind of. But hey,it`s thier right. Also, I kind of not feeling it either, It just makes me want goldeneye more.

#6 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

its a 10 year old game... nostalgia can only take you so far. Hell, watch me be controversial and say, im glad SSF4 has d-jay and t.hawk, which means i never need to touch any SF2 game ever again, which I have a hard time these days after SF4. Shit evolves, and usually the stuff you remember loving because of nostalgia doesnt hold up well these days.

#7 Posted by august (3861 posts) -

Breaking news: not everyone has nostalgia for those n64 shooters.

Some of us were playing fps games on the pc, with a control scheme that wasn't a godawful piece of shit.

Not that those games weren't good for what they were but don't get your panties in a bunch if some people aren't excited about it.

#8 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

It also might be that they recorded 2 quick looks yesterday, and they still might be tired from GDC.

#9 Posted by Jon (16 posts) -

If I'm honest I think half of the game's appeal came from the way it managed to make the n64's controller work with a fps. 

When you start playing it with a controller that for all intents and purposes is designed with the shooter in mind, it loses a lot of its charm. 

Then again I haven't actually played the thing, so I doubt you can take anything I say seriously.

#10 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@Belonpopo: Because the GIantbomb chaps, as much as they love the classics, are capable of understanding that a lot of what made those games what they were, were technical limitations, a lack of budget, and learning, or a lack there of. 
@Laketown said:

" It also might be that they recorded 2 quick looks yesterday, and they still might be tired from GDC. "

Also, this.
#11 Posted by Boltaco (5 posts) -

It wasn't a good quick look.  From the start they all wanted to quit.  no one gave it a chance (maybe Brad and we couldn't hear Drew).  And Jeff just complained about it.  Alt fire mode guys... alt fire.  Try a disarm.

#12 Edited by sixpin (1302 posts) -

From what they said in the QL, they really didn't have a lot of nostalgia for Perfect Dark on N64. They - like many of us - had moved on to other things by the time it came out. That is really what this is; a nostalgic cash-grab from a defunct developer. I liked a couple of Rare's N64 games. I never thought that they were a really great developer and they haven't gone a long way in proving that in the last decade.

#13 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos: They can understand without having to enjoy it.
#14 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -

Maybe because those games don't hold up so well anymore? Especially when not played with an N64 controller? I imagine playing that game on a controller that you're used to playing modern shooters with (MW2, BF:BC2, Borderlands), it just feels bad.

Kind of like playing Pac Man with an Xbox controller. It just doesn't work right.

#15 Posted by CaptainObvious (3000 posts) -

I have no feelings for Perfect Dark/Goldeneye and I didn't like what I saw. I guess they feel the same way.

#16 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

Hmmm, i guess it just was not their cup of tea. Oh well, more Perfect Dark for me to enjoy!!!

#17 Posted by Jackel2072 (2278 posts) -

Yeah as others in here have said. this game really hasn't stood the test of time all that well. This game came out back when Console FPS's were still being worked out. Rare made up a great design back then, but once consoles got two analog sticks standard and the FPS formal was fine tuned on the consoles. This type of thing feels pretty shallow and underwhelming. I personally think they should have reprogrammed the game to work with two analog sticks. would have made this pill easier to swallow

#18 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

I really don't want to play it either

#19 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@JokerSmilez said:
" Maybe because those games don't hold up so well anymore? Especially when not played with an N64 controller? I imagine playing that game on a controller that you're used to playing modern shooters with (MW2, BF:BC2, Borderlands), it just feels bad.  Kind of like playing Pac Man with an Xbox controller. It just doesn't work right. "
The game controls have been updated to play like a modern twin stick FPS.
One of the control schemes you can choose is literally the Call of Duty button layout. (and another for Halo)

The single player mission structure has undoubedly aged, so a lot of the enjoyment there will definitely be coming from nostalgia.  But it's still a great game to play through, with a lot of modes and options and I think the multiplayer offers a great change of pace from the big open environments we see in most FPS games these days.  I happen to like the more claustrophobic, closed off levels.  Many of the features..  like bots, counter-op, etc, aren't even included in games these days. 

Perfect Dark was definitely ahead of its time and for 800 points you can't really argue.
#20 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Hey maybe get people who don't actively dislike a game to quicklook next time.

#21 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -

Yeah, they shat all over perfect dark, just like they shat all over shenmue and sonic adventure when they did retrospective videos. Brad doesn't like old games though. When he played shenmue in that retrospective he said terrible things like how he was relieved to find out that shenmue was crap because all these years he thought he had been missing out. Yeah. Pretty lame. Ryan and Jeff like really old games, but its hard to tell what classic arcade games they actually like and which ones they only like ironically. It would be nice to see a more even-handed quicklook. Its silly to make a quicklook of a retro game with this kind of attitude. Whats next? An XBLA Doom quicklook where the GB guys call it garbage because it has terrible graphics and you can't look up or jump? 

I thought perfect dark was pretty good, but really the best N64 multiplayer shooter was Turok Rage Wars. Man that game was awesome. I mean that in all seriousness.

#22 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -

It hasn't aged well.

#23 Posted by ObsideonDarman (659 posts) -

It's because Games have moved on 

#24 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2524 posts) -

@CitizenKane said:

" Jeff and Goldeneye/ Perfect Dark aren't exactly the best of friends. "

I dont think his hated for goldeneye has anything to do with it.
 http://www.gamespot.com/n64/action/goldeneye007/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review
#25 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11991 posts) -

PD doesn't hold up well. At all. Which I imagine combined with Jeff's, Ryan's and Brad's apparent dislike of it contributed to a QL where all they did was crap on the game. It's kind of a bummer, but someone with no nostalgia for Perfect Dark (like me for example) would have no idea why the hell the game is so revered. At least Drew seemed to be enjoying it.

#26 Posted by Milkman (17171 posts) -

Because people have opinions. If they don't like something, then won't pretend to just to not piss people off. They didn't seem to actively dislike it anyway.

#27 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" Because people have opinions. If they don't like something, then won't pretend to just to not piss people off. They didn't seem to actively dislike it anyway. "
Right but GB lemmings always cosign the GB opinion, so its not "just an opinion" when they're unselling a solid game to people who can't think for themselves like ArbitraryWater parroting Jeff just now.
#28 Posted by Milkman (17171 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @Milkman said:
" Because people have opinions. If they don't like something, then won't pretend to just to not piss people off. They didn't seem to actively dislike it anyway. "
Right but GB lemmings always cosign the GB opinion, so its not "just an opinion" when they're unselling a solid game to people who can't think for themselves like ArbitraryWater parroting Jeff just now. "
That's not their problem. They're not going to hold back on their opinion just because they might unsell some people.
#29 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" Hey maybe get people who don't actively dislike a game to quicklook next time. "
Yeah it's not like they have a staff of, like, 4 people or anything.
#30 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3503 posts) -

I don't like it when the GB crew does a quick look for something they don't like, unless they are being informative and/or funny. Unfortunately, this QL didn't do a good job of highlighting much in the game and it wasn't funny. I rather have light-hearted moments of the GB crew recorded. It's not really a big deal though. You can't expect 100 % enjoyment rate for the videos.

#31 Posted by MjHealy (1863 posts) -

Never played Perfect Dark originally, never had a N64, but that single-player looked way boring.

#32 Posted by HistoryInRust (6374 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @Milkman said:
Right but GB lemmings always cosign the GB opinion, so its not "just an opinion" when they're unselling a solid game to people who can't think for themselves like ArbitraryWater parroting Jeff just now. "
In ArbitraryWater's defense, he's sort of right. Without nostalgia goggles, or to someone who never had the chance to play the old console games, or to someone whose childhood has been spent on PC shooters where point-and-shoot controls have been basically perfected for the last fifteen years, Perfect Dark feels all sorts of antiquated, even with the N64 controller. Plus, he's not reaming the game outright in his post, so it's unfair to single him out and call him a parrot. 

I really hate this growing consensus that if a user agrees with the Staff, they're parroting the opinion. It's not, in any way possible, that they might actually have the same opinion achieved through a separate, but equally valid logical process. Furthermore, if you like the goddamned thing, go buy it. No one can denigrate your moral being if you get it, play it, and enjoy it.
#33 Posted by xyzygy (10062 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" Hey maybe get people who don't actively dislike a game to quicklook next time. "
This. Quick Looks are useless to me if it's just a bunch of people moaning about a game. I want to see people playing the game for it's features and to just get a quick look of what we'd be getting in the game. If they don't like the game, pick someone who at least has an interest. If no one in the office still likes it, they should at least try to have a neutral stance.
#34 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

These guys come from an age where by the time goldeneye rolled around, PC had already done it better.

#35 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @ryanwho said:
This. Quick Looks are useless to me if it's just a bunch of people moaning about a game. I want to see people playing the game for it's features and to just get a quick look of what we'd be getting in the game. If they don't like the game, pick someone who at least has an interest. If no one in the office still likes it, they should at least try to have a neutral stance. "
Indeed. It seemed kinda like Drew was enjoying himself a bit, should of solo did the entire quick look with random comments.
#36 Posted by Andorski (5351 posts) -

Even if you were a console owner that wasn't jaded by PC FPS games back then, it's hard to deny that Perfect Dark hasn't aged well.  All games are subjected to better quality with the improvement of technology, but the FPS games benefits more than other genres.

I can only see myself enjoying this as a piece of nostalgic memory.  Being only a $10 game though, that just might be enough.

#37 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11991 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @Milkman said:
Whoa there son.  My opinion of Perfect Dark actually stems from the fact that I bought the actual game for N64 a few months ago to check it out (it was also 6 bucks). Maybe it was awesome back then, but all I see now is Goldeneye with a shittier frame rate and reload animations. I may have a similar opinion to Jeff on this issue, but that does not mean that I am a parrot. I disagree with the GB crew on a lot of things, mostly because Jeff and Ryan hate everything, and feel the need to vocalize that. You think that PD is a solid game? Well guess what? That's "just an opinion" as well. No need to drop names when using generalizations.
#38 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

It's one of those games that doesn't age well.

#39 Posted by bounceback11 (27 posts) -

Perfect Dark was my game of choice back in the day and I spent a lot of time playing multiplayer with friends so its definitely got a good nostalgic value for me. What they didn't mention was all the extra stuff thats in there and the fact that 4J have done a pretty awesome job of the remake. Also it makes a nice change by comparison to MW2 and BC2 just blowing through a game without too much thought. For ten bucks its a great deal if you have any nostalgic connection to it but otherwise all your gonna see is how dated it is.

#40 Posted by MrTea (34 posts) -

Dude, Counter-Op!!  man!! I don't need any other game!

#41 Posted by Mcfart (1707 posts) -

quick look was alright i guess. they showed some shooting doods in single and multiplayer...wasen't much humor though :(

#42 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Why does everyone seem to take personal offense to everything the staff says lately? Sheesh.

#43 Edited by ThatFrood (3376 posts) -

Well you know what? Okay, if they don't like the game, they were tired, etc.... how about they just don't quicklook that game. If they do not want to be playing that game, why did they think a quicklook of it would be a good idea?

#44 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" Why does everyone seem to take personal offense to everything the staff says lately? Sheesh. "
I don't mind if they disagree with my opinion, but like the above poster just said.. why did they even bother?  The PD one along with the Pokemon one seemed like a massive waste of time, they weren't at all interested in playing the game and clearly didn't care at all.  At least when they play bad games, they tend to be humorous, but these ones were just filled with nothing but apathy.  Not even fun to watch.
#45 Edited by Princess_Isabela (163 posts) -

they had no idea how to play it, they kept punching themselves because they didn't respawn with weapon in hand. 
you disarm it with a punch(by alternating weapon's secondary use)... 
what's discouraging about this quick look is that newcomers may be put off beacuse of gb's lack of knowledge and know how. 
game is as amazing as it was.

#46 Posted by Princess_Isabela (163 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
Perfect Dark was definitely ahead of its time and for 800 points you can't really argue. "

It is still ahead of majority of other FPS's out there in terms of customization, single-player/multiplayer modes and it has the most impressive arsenal at your disposal in any FPS. 
#47 Posted by wh1terav3n (661 posts) -

I really like it. It's pretty fun. Don't think its really worth more than 10 bucks, (maybe 15 if you push it) but for that price? Its a good way to kill a few hours, especially if you played them as a younger man/woman/child/thing.

#48 Posted by TheHBK (5546 posts) -

Its all about perspective.  Though I love GoldenEye, think it is better to play because of the atmosphere, you have to remember, these shooter were made with the N64 controller in mind and with the ammount of control you get today, it is hard to go back to games.  All games have to start somewhere and PD and GE were at the beginning of shooters on consoles.
Example, platformers really never reached their stride until Super Mario Bros came out.  Before then you had crappy ass games like pitfall.  Great game back then but SMB showed you what playing a platformer was supposed to be like.
3D platformers has been made before Super Mario 64, but SM64 got it right.
Shooters on consoles had been done, Doom on the SNES and these games.  but we had to wait until Halo to get the modern FPS experience that had been available on the PC since Quake 2.  So why can one go back to play Half-Life 2 or Unreal Tournament and not Perfect Dark?  Control bitches... control.  Which reminds me, get fucking the original Unreal Tournament on XBLA.

#49 Posted by xAbleAssassinx (199 posts) -
@Jackel2072 said:
"I personally think they should have reprogrammed the game to work with two analog sticks. would have made this pill easier to swallow "
They did.
#50 Posted by Nettacki (1319 posts) -
@xAbleAssassinx said:
" @Jackel2072 said:
"I personally think they should have reprogrammed the game to work with two analog sticks. would have made this pill easier to swallow "
They did. "
But does it still handle as well as a modern shooter with that setup?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.