Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Perfect Dark

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released May 22, 2000

Perfect Dark is a first-person shooter for the Nintendo 64 and the spiritual successor to the 1997 smash hit GoldenEye 007.

XBLA Perfect Dark: Still Awesome

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sarumarine

Perfect Dark was released Wed on X-Box Live Arcade. I was curious how it would hold up all these years after playing so many other shooters (Modern Warfare 2, various Halo games, other titles) with universal changes like a button specifically for lobbing grenades. But after putting in some time with some friends it's still Perfect Dark so it's still very very awesome. The thing I loved the most about Perfect Dark is unchanged: the guns. I've yet to see a weapon as cool as the Laptop Gun in other games. It's a laptop! It's an assault rifle! It's a stationary turret! It's incredible! The sheer variety of things to waste people with is still impressive. The Phoenix is a pistol that shoots explosive rounds and the reload animation is the gun absorbing the new clip/magazine and almost taking your hand with it. There is a remote control rocket launcher. The Farsight is a notorious weapon that shoots through EVERYTHING and the secondary tracks players through the level. The Mauler pistol charges up Mega Man style and kills people with a satisfying discharge. The Dragon assault rifle reaches jackass heights as the secondary turns it into a proximity mine. It goes on and on.  

It was one of the reasons why I was so unimpressed with the original Halo. The stock weapons in that game (space pistol, space rifle, space sniper rifle, a few alien weapons) were really dull compared to the kind of stuff you could whip out in Perfect Dark. Where's my grenade that bounces around like a pinball? Where's the SMG that fires its entire 50 round clip in a few seconds? Once you see that kind of stuff and spend hours messing around with it in multiplayer it's really hard to get excited in a game where the basic pistol beats everything. Perfect Dark also reminds me why I'm so bummed when multiplayer in other games has no music playing in the background. Music in this game always gets me pumped and makes everything slightly more epic than it already is. 

There are a few catches. Starting without a gun in multiplayer is hard to go back to. Even with disarm, playing the various challenges in the Combat Simulator will get really frustrating as Sims travel around the map killing you before you can defend yourself. Also the spawning system seems really jacked compared to the N64 version. There are times when I spawned right next to a guy in one hit kill modes where you can throw a punch and kill them instantly as the game starts. One time a guy spawned behind me and punched me dead before I knew what was going on. A few times I spawned right next to a guy with an assault rifle who wasted no time shooting me dead. People who complain about Modern Warfare 2's spawning system will probably hate Perfect Dark more than they can put into words. It was never this bad on the N64 so it's a little hard to tell what happened. Still, that's mostly a complaint on Challenges where the Cheating AI Bastard shows no mercy and turns the clunky Farsight into a weapon of endless destruction. Assholes.

The single player campaign is still worth playing. A few highlights is the ability to pistol whip the snotty CEO of an evil corporation of the future in the first level, hanging with an Alien nicknamed Elvis, and putting your hands on the most gaudy gun I've ever seen in an FPS: the DY357-LX. It's a gold revolver with a tiger stripe grip that kills people in one shot. Yeah. Where the Golden Gun was something of a interesting assortment of gold plated accessories snapped together, the DY357-LX is more like "YO! CHECK OUT MY AWESOME SIX SHOOTER, FOOL!". Anyone who uses a gun that kills people in one shot needs to be killed, but the gun's design will make you want to kill them just 'cause.  

People who have played this before on the N64 and liked it should definitely get it. Going back to Perfect Dark is like going back to Tetris. It only takes a short while to get back in it and it's just as good as the last time you played it . . . only a little nicer looking.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sarumarine

Perfect Dark was released Wed on X-Box Live Arcade. I was curious how it would hold up all these years after playing so many other shooters (Modern Warfare 2, various Halo games, other titles) with universal changes like a button specifically for lobbing grenades. But after putting in some time with some friends it's still Perfect Dark so it's still very very awesome. The thing I loved the most about Perfect Dark is unchanged: the guns. I've yet to see a weapon as cool as the Laptop Gun in other games. It's a laptop! It's an assault rifle! It's a stationary turret! It's incredible! The sheer variety of things to waste people with is still impressive. The Phoenix is a pistol that shoots explosive rounds and the reload animation is the gun absorbing the new clip/magazine and almost taking your hand with it. There is a remote control rocket launcher. The Farsight is a notorious weapon that shoots through EVERYTHING and the secondary tracks players through the level. The Mauler pistol charges up Mega Man style and kills people with a satisfying discharge. The Dragon assault rifle reaches jackass heights as the secondary turns it into a proximity mine. It goes on and on.  

It was one of the reasons why I was so unimpressed with the original Halo. The stock weapons in that game (space pistol, space rifle, space sniper rifle, a few alien weapons) were really dull compared to the kind of stuff you could whip out in Perfect Dark. Where's my grenade that bounces around like a pinball? Where's the SMG that fires its entire 50 round clip in a few seconds? Once you see that kind of stuff and spend hours messing around with it in multiplayer it's really hard to get excited in a game where the basic pistol beats everything. Perfect Dark also reminds me why I'm so bummed when multiplayer in other games has no music playing in the background. Music in this game always gets me pumped and makes everything slightly more epic than it already is. 

There are a few catches. Starting without a gun in multiplayer is hard to go back to. Even with disarm, playing the various challenges in the Combat Simulator will get really frustrating as Sims travel around the map killing you before you can defend yourself. Also the spawning system seems really jacked compared to the N64 version. There are times when I spawned right next to a guy in one hit kill modes where you can throw a punch and kill them instantly as the game starts. One time a guy spawned behind me and punched me dead before I knew what was going on. A few times I spawned right next to a guy with an assault rifle who wasted no time shooting me dead. People who complain about Modern Warfare 2's spawning system will probably hate Perfect Dark more than they can put into words. It was never this bad on the N64 so it's a little hard to tell what happened. Still, that's mostly a complaint on Challenges where the Cheating AI Bastard shows no mercy and turns the clunky Farsight into a weapon of endless destruction. Assholes.

The single player campaign is still worth playing. A few highlights is the ability to pistol whip the snotty CEO of an evil corporation of the future in the first level, hanging with an Alien nicknamed Elvis, and putting your hands on the most gaudy gun I've ever seen in an FPS: the DY357-LX. It's a gold revolver with a tiger stripe grip that kills people in one shot. Yeah. Where the Golden Gun was something of a interesting assortment of gold plated accessories snapped together, the DY357-LX is more like "YO! CHECK OUT MY AWESOME SIX SHOOTER, FOOL!". Anyone who uses a gun that kills people in one shot needs to be killed, but the gun's design will make you want to kill them just 'cause.  

People who have played this before on the N64 and liked it should definitely get it. Going back to Perfect Dark is like going back to Tetris. It only takes a short while to get back in it and it's just as good as the last time you played it . . . only a little nicer looking.

RUPHI0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RUPHI0

I loved this game on N64. Did not think I would like it now with the Halo's, COD's and Battlefields' in the world. But it still is pretty fun. I LOVE the new controls, dual analog rocks! Overall I think it is still fun and brings me back to my childhood. I don't know that I can say I would be playing it all the time over BFBC:2 but it is still fun.

RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RedHerb

I just played the first level on perfect agent, there's that bonus objective where you have to force a programmer to unlock a computer or something. It was actually pretty awesome, cause you have to keep your gun pointed at him or he will try and run so it felt like forcing him at gun point to do something. 

Also when he does the task, i had totally forgotten about this, he wipes the data and fails your mission! What the hell! that son a bitch, so next time it was execution time for that guy. I remember doing that now, but what kind of game would let you take a hostage,  force them to do something then allow you execute them now a days. 

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By agentboolen

Did they update the controls with giving it dual joysticks?  If they didn't i don't know if I could honestly go back to the N64 days where everything is only one analog stick.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sarumarine
    @agentboolen:
    Yeah, controls are reworked to take advantage of the 360 controller. If you go into the options they have other control schemes not-so-cleverly-named as "Spartan" and "Duty Calls". The only thing that's a little wonky is manually aiming, but that was probably because my sensitivity wasn't adjusted yet. Also, you can't use the C-Buttons to sidestep around the stage at blindly fast speeds. You can still sidestep, but that's done with the joysticks now and it's a little trickier to take advantage of.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By agentboolen
    @Sarumarine:  Thanks for the info sounds interesting, i might give the trial a try and see if I really want to re live this.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I purchased it yesterday and damn i have never been so much more happy. I played Perfect Dark non stop from the year 2000 to about the year 2004 or so. Just played the combat simulator against Sims with random weapons and random levels for hours on end. It was heaven. I then had to move to Ireland with the family so my mom said we should sell the N64 :(

Missed it so much ever since. I quickly got back into it yesterday though, it took me a few minutes to get used to the feeling and controls of it. Achivements are a nice little addition to it, and got most of them yesterday. The only one that will piss me off is the one that claims you must get to the top of the leader-boards or something? Whoever thought that would be fun. It may be fun in GRAW, but not in this classic shooter.

Anyways, i am in love with this XBLA title and will continuously play for the next few years. Excuse me whilst i go and kick some Expert sims asses in the challenges.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Brunchies

I agree, Perfect Dark is still as fun as it ever was to me.

Avatar image for princess_isabela
    Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Princess_Isabela

it's better than anything else. 
    other shooters seem bland, this one is incredibly diverse.
    so many guns, options - still unrivaled after a decade. 

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

The only thing this game does poorly is the bounding box on certain guns. However, it is necessary with all the auto-aim going on.

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dutch42

Bought this yesterday and I'm absolutely loving it, was playing it with a mate of mine and we were a little annoyed to find that 10 years worth of excessive alchohol consumption has caused us both to completely forget how to do most of the single player missions, seriously our mission completion times were shockingly poor.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sarumarine
    @dutch42:
    Heh, my friend and I had the same problem. We were playing Co-op through the story and came across a few spots where we ended up going "what happens next? Where?". We ran circles around Area 51 until we realized we forgot to bomb the Intercept Radar underground. Chicago was even more fun, given it took us a little while to remember where the damn supply case was stashed.
    fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By fugie7
    @Sarumarine: Im still planning to get this dlc once i get some more points, but i want to can you still customizes your character when you get into multiplayer death match on xbox live? and can you still give names to the simulator? 
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sarumarine
    @fugie7: 
    Character customization is still there, although it's a bit more restricted this time around. You can't put Elvis' head on Mr. Blonde's body or just any crazy combination you can come up with. All the major characters are restricted to their own heads (but Joanna has a ton of heads because of all her costume changes through the main story). However, the enemy characters and minor NPCs have tons of choices like, you can put the biochemist head on a dude in an office suit.

As for Combat Simulator custom games, you can still name them, but you have less letters to use. Instead of nine or ten, it's more like five now.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By jonnyboy
    @Sarumarine: I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I'm struggling to find a XBLA game that has as much content squeezed into it as this one does (there are 96 firing range challenges alone). Also I think a lot of people forget just how ahead of it's time the game truly was, never before had you had so much choice in the way you wanted to play it, alone, with a friend or three, with specific weapons or rules including the counter-op mode was introduce nearly 9 years before Left 4 Dead's Versus Mode perfected it.

I've been playing this game since Wednesday and I know I haven't even scratched the surface of  what only cost me 800 points.
    DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DerekDanahy

How's the online play? I heard it was pretty laggy.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By fugie7
    @Sarumarine:  Well im kind of bum out to hear  that  restriction of the customization, i wanted to remake my old character from the N64 version. Oh well i just see what i can do with the new customization they put in it. but i am happy they left the simulater customization name alone, now can bring back all my colorful enemies name's back.   Thanks!
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sarumarine
    @DerekDanahy: 
    Online play is about what you would expect from any shooter that's online. You'll have those moments where you see a guy first, shoot a few times and end up dying. It's one of those things where your results may vary. I haven't had a problem with it. Other people may have had a different experience. But so far it's been great.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19  Edited By natetodamax

Only problem I have with it is that holding down LT to aim is basically impossible, especially since auto aim does everything for you.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheFreeMan

The game is still tons of fun but, damn, precision aiming is really, really hard. Even with the sensitivity turned down, it's extremely hard to hold LT and get headshots. It's just really janky. To be fair, I don't play with autoaim, though.

berva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By berva

Not enjoying Perfect Dark at all, give it a miss.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By themartyr
    @berva said:
    " Not enjoying Perfect Dark at all, give it a miss. "
    I wish I could offer you 400pts for it...
    threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By threeve

I have the same experience with the precision aiming, but the original was quite "janky" as well.  I spent some quality time with the XBLA version really for the first time last night and I have to say, I had a blast.  I did the first couple of single player missions, then did all the holo-trainings available (those were different than I remember), then did the firing range with the weapons available (only 5 right now).  Overall I had as much fun as I remember with the firing range, and the gold medals seemed easier than I thought (though I may just have not gotten to the difficult weapons yet).  I found that not using precision aim at all was the best fit for me in the firing range, except possibly with zoom weapons.

Seriously though, the new version runs more smoothly than the N64, has superior controls, feels VERY fast after playing more modern shooters, and I just had a blast, even if it was quite easy on special agent difficulty.  Maybe I'll be able to get some of those cheats I never got in the old days...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.