Persona 4 Arena sequel announced

• 179 results
#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

Arc System Works started a loketest today that will last until August 18th so people could test out the full on sequel to Persona 4 Arena probably known as "Persona 4 Arena: Climax."

There's more at these links:

Famitsu 1

Famitsu 2

Dengeki

Some new details:

• New characters confirmed: Junpei Iori and Yukari Takeba from Persona 3.
  • Each character (except for Shadow Labrys and Elizabeth) will have a Shadow version of themselves. These Shadow versions are unable to Burst, however they have a mode they can initiate known as "Shadow Fury" which drains their meter. They also start with 100 SP in meter.
  • There are SP versions of super moves now. This means that a character can use 75 meter to activate an enhanced version of a super move, similar to SP versions of their special moves.
  • This is a sequel and not merely an update, according to Famitsu. This means that the story will be new.
  • Different characters have different amounts of Persona cards now instead of the universal 4 everyone had in the original game. Akihiko has 2 and Elizabeth has 6 or 7, for example.
  • There are new stages, including one that takes place outside of Tartarus during the Dark Hour.
#2 Edited by jking47 (1209 posts) -

Great news! I really enjoyed the first one. Hopefully the NA version is out at the same time. Or ever.

#3 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

FUCK YES

#4 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3043 posts) -

Things we noticed in the P4A room: Liz has at least 6 Persona cards in one shot, while it looks like Yosuke's got 3. If they still keep the cards-turning-red when broken system, that means that some characters have less total cards and some have more- presumably dependent on how persona-focused that character is.

Also I really hope they add more than just Yukari or Junpei, because as far as characters I was dying to see... they're nowhere close to being on the list.

#5 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

#6 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2231 posts) -

OMGGGGGGGGGG

#7 Posted by tyler1285 (175 posts) -

KEN SAN

#8 Posted by 5Figh (172 posts) -

i beat persona 4 golden a lil while ago and as someone who hasn't played Persona 4 arena can someone just lay out the time in-between P4 and the epilogue where they all look different and the time in-between that epilogue and P4 arena cause i just somehow missed all of that

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

You hear that, @hailinel? Your dreams of personally stabbing Yukari to death will finally come true!

#10 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@5figh said:

i beat persona 4 golden a lil while ago and as someone who hasn't played Persona 4 arena can someone just lay out the time in-between P4 and the epilogue where they all look different and the time in-between that epilogue and P4 arena cause i just somehow missed all of that

P4A takes place before the epilogue of P4G, but after the events proper of P4.

#11 Posted by Aetheldod (3542 posts) -

D: omg omg omg!!!!!!

#12 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -
#13 Posted by Petiew (1341 posts) -

Hopefully this means they'll finish the story in this and I won't have to suffer Naoto, Yosuke, Teddie, etc in Persona 5.

#14 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -
DAT HAIR (Left)
Some thing looks familiar

#15 Posted by Hailinel (24272 posts) -

So is this an actual, full sequel, or more of a P4A EX? I see existing backgrounds in those screenshots and it's not like the characters can all just be tricked into falling for the exact same ploy as last time, right?

#16 Posted by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

@hailinel: Probably a Extension of the Story. So Sequel? Never saw any of this UI in the game before.

#17 Edited by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

I guess I'll actually get some use out of that 360-PS3 converter I got for my fightstick a few weeks ago. Dat Yukari.

#18 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

If it's not on 360, P4A did not sell well, i believe on 360. Might have to finally buy a PS3.

#19 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

Best to be DLC or new Sku. I'd buy new SKU

#20 Posted by InfiniteSpark (301 posts) -

Color me surprised, but I'm glad to hear P4A's getting an update/sequel. I'm interested to see how Yukari and Junpei play, as well as the adjustments made to the current P4A cast.

And wow, ASW is pulling out all the stops with this, BB: CP and GG: Xrd. Good for them.

#21 Edited by Zeik (2334 posts) -

When I saw this a little while ago I thought it was just new characters for P4A, but this is actually a full update? I have mixed feelings about that, but I'm glad they're still doing stuff with P4A. I was starting think it was a one and done deal, which would have been a shame.

@hailinel: I suspect it's a "sequel" as much as Continuum Shift was a sequel to the original Blazblue.

#22 Posted by Aegon (5470 posts) -

Never played the first game. Is the story canon to the Persona series?

#23 Posted by Hailinel (24272 posts) -

@aegon said:

Yep.

#24 Posted by Zeik (2334 posts) -
@aegon said:

Yes, it's canon, at least for now.

#25 Posted by Bane122 (786 posts) -

Well, this is just fantastic. Before playing Persona 3 I didn't want any of those characters in Arena but after playing it, I was annoyed more weren't in it. Junpei and Yukari's omissions were the two I specifically lamented.

I hope this comes out at $40.

#26 Posted by XNaphryz (76 posts) -

2 more slots it looks like at least. Hoping they go back to P1 and P2, Nanjo and Maya.

#27 Posted by Zeik (2334 posts) -

@bane122: I'm like 99.9% sure it will be $40.

#28 Posted by cloudymusic (1099 posts) -

KOROMARU OR NOTHING

#29 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

I can't wait.

#30 Posted by Zeik (2334 posts) -

@make_me_mad said:

Also I really hope they add more than just Yukari or Junpei, because as far as characters I was dying to see... they're nowhere close to being on the list.

I hope they add more new characters. I'd be perfectly content with Yukari and Junpei being the only new/old characters that make it in, if there's enough other new characters.

#31 Posted by gokaired (518 posts) -

Color me surprised, but I'm glad to hear P4A's getting an update/sequel. I'm interested to see how Yukari and Junpei play, as well as the adjustments made to the current P4A cast.

And wow, ASW is pulling out all the stops with this, BB: CP and GG: Xrd. Good for them.

Good, I'm happy to give them my money.

#33 Posted by DocHaus (1324 posts) -

ANOTHER REASON FOR ME TO JUST GET A PS3 ALREADY UGH FUCK.

on-topic: so Yukari and Stu-pei added to the list? Okay that's cool I guess.

#34 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

Yesssssss. Now they just need to add Ken and Koromaru so I can kill Ken over and over again.

#35 Posted by Bane122 (786 posts) -

@zeik: As am I but I never really trust situations like this. The fanbase is niche enough that Atlus may think we'll buy it up at $60 again.

#36 Posted by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -
#37 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Inb4 Yu's 5D is fucking done. RIP PACK IT UP.

#38 Posted by Edder (18 posts) -

You already know

#39 Posted by YI_Orange (1141 posts) -

I want this. Right now.

#40 Edited by Zeik (2334 posts) -
@bane122 said:

@zeik: As am I but I never really trust situations like this. The fanbase is niche enough that Atlus may think we'll buy it up at $60 again.

I really can't see that happening outside of an extreme circumstance.

Inb4 Yu's 5D is fucking done. RIP PACK IT UP.

More like Mitsuru's 5A. (I hope.)

#41 Posted by InfiniteSpark (301 posts) -

Some early info provided by stunedge through his twitter...

Each character has two version: Normal and Shadow. Shadow characters have no burst but have access to something called "Shadow Fury".

Yu can no longer do Sweep xx 5D

Akihiko Cyclone goes up to 5 now.

Kanji's 5C paralyzes the opp

Yukiko has a new move and a new super which is lv6 only (wtf)

Characters have different amounts of persona cards, Akihiko has 2, Yukiko 5, Yukari has 4 and Elizabeth has 7!!

#42 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

Wow, pretty substantial system changes. Probably not DLC.

#43 Edited by Zeik (2334 posts) -

So who wants to take bets on whether this one will get a simultaneous release? My hunch is no.

#44 Posted by llamaegg (225 posts) -

The different versions of characters sounds a lot like what Melty Blood did, and I'm absolutely pumped for it. P4A was an absolute blast, and easily one of the easiest Arc Systems Work game to get into, can't wait to dive in and remember how terrible I am at fighting games!

#45 Edited by SunBroZak (1069 posts) -

Wow. Just after saying that I was more interested in an Arena 2 than a P5. Someone is looking out for me.

Tears of Joy.

#46 Posted by Zeik (2334 posts) -

I wonder if the "shadow" versions include Shadow Labrys? Are we going to get Shadow Shadow Labrys?!

#47 Posted by JackSukeru (5908 posts) -

Huh.

I picked up P4A once it (finally) came out here but I still haven't touched it.

I...guess I should get on that? or maybe this means that I shouldn't.

#48 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

Confirmed to be Sequel

NA Release on PS2, 2017

#49 Posted by InfiniteSpark (301 posts) -

@zeik said:

I wonder if the "shadow" versions include Shadow Labrys? Are we going to get Shadow Shadow Labrys?!

Nope. No Shadow version of Shadow Labrys.

https://twitter.com/hc0519 <-- providing info

#50 Posted by Zeik (2334 posts) -

Huh.

I picked up P4A once it (finally) came out here but I still haven't touched it.

I...guess I should get on that? or maybe this means that I shouldn't.

It's still a ways off. It definitely wouldn't hurt to at get some basic practice in now, since it's not going to change that much.

@zeik said:

Nope. No Shadow version of Shadow Labrys.

https://twitter.com/hc0519 <-- providing info

Figured as much. I assume that means normal Labrys won't be getting one either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.