Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 28, 2013

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is a sequel to the original Persona 4 Arena. It has new characters, new stages and several new gameplay related changes such as new moves.

Who is getting this?

• 105 results
    irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#51  Edited By irrelevantjohn

@flstyle said:

@irrelevantjohn said:

@flstyle: It's pretty sick so far!

Good to hear! Has it got English language menu options?

Sadly it does not but the Audio can be switched to english.

European players should import the NA version digitally when it comes out. Who knows if it will even make it over there in time...

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I kinda want to play it for the story, but I really can't get into arcsys games at all. I just don't like any part of how they play.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@amafi said:

I kinda want to play it for the story, but I really can't get into arcsys games at all. I just don't like any part of how they play.

You didn't seen Persona 4 Arena's story mode when that came out I take it? Play is a very strong word.

johnsonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Getting my auto combos ready. PSN is johnsonic7
    Pretty stoked for the expanded cast and shadow mode characters~

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

@amafi said:

You didn't seen Persona 4 Arena's story mode when that came out I take it? Play is a very strong word.

Nope, never got around to it. and considering how little I enjoy arcsys games in general (having mainly played some bb and gg in the past) I have to say being able to hammer A and auto-combo my way through is the biggest selling point of the game.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:

@flstyle said:

@amafi said:

Nope, never got around to it. and considering how little I enjoy arcsys games in general (having mainly played some bb and gg in the past) I have to say being able to hammer A and auto-combo my way through is the biggest selling point of the game.

You played Persona 4 right? You remember all the pressing of X as the characters go through dialogue with each other? It's that for 5 hours, actual matches are 5% of the story. I'm surprised you didn't bother to check.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

@amafi said:

@flstyle said:

@amafi said:

You played Persona 4 right? You remember all the pressing of X as the characters go through dialogue with each other? It's that for 5 hours, actual matches are 5% of the story. I'm surprised you didn't bother to check.

That sounds perfect, as long as I don't have to pay full price. The less I have to engage with any arcsys fighter, the better. If it was 0% that would be an improvement in my book, their games are just not fun.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Zeik

@amafi: I suggest not buying it at all then. There's no point in buying a fighting game if you're not interested in engaging with the fighting at all. There's no way the story is going to be THAT good.

Besides, the story in this game is a direct sequel to the last Arena game. If you didn't play that then playing this entirely for the story is even more pointless.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I might pick it up at some point if it doesn't show up on PS+ before that.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By irrelevantjohn

@bocam: Yes you can, just no english text.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Finished the story mode earlier today. Glad there was English audio so I could experience it. It's all so overwhelming now; I barely feel like I know what I'm doing anymore. Wonder if this is how it felt when I started playing P4A...

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Bocam

@fluxwavez said:

Finished the story mode earlier today. Glad there was English audio so I could experience it. It's all so overwhelming now; I barely feel like I know what I'm doing anymore. Wonder if this is how it felt when I started playing P4A...

Are you going to buy the english version so you can understand the narration? Also is Adachi still voiced by JYB?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

Are you going to buy the english version so you can understand the narration? Also is Adachi still voiced by JYB?

Yeah, though I find that the dialogue itself was enough to understand the story. Adachi is still voiced by JYB, yes.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Zeik

@bocam: We already know Adachi is still voiced by Bosch. They released an English trailer for him (and Marie) awhile ago.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's kinda bullshit they locked out the abillity to have english text as looking at the files on the disc, it's there.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Zeik

@bocam said:

It's kinda bullshit they locked out the abillity to have english text as looking at the files on the disc, it's there.

I'm willing to bet it was the caveat for not having region locking. The full English/Japanese voice and text was part of the reason why it happened.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: It is BS that they locked it out but I would rather have it not region locked.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Bocam

@irrelevantjohn: @zeik: The reason the first game was reason locked was because at the time of its release it would've been cheaper to import the US version. That's not true anymore if you take shipping into account.

It also makes the rumor that the US version will only have japanese voices available during fights even more of a bummer.

While I'm not playing the game right now, I'm having a fantastic time looking at all this data.

No Caption Provided

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game's director, Kazuhisa Wada, stated that the JP release does not have English text because it is region free.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I didn't play much of vanilla arena but I will be playing a ton of this game when it's out. Other than Guilty Gear, I'm not very good at Arcsys games.

Figured since I pre-ordered it off PSN, why not play it a bunch right?

PSN: Solh0und

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I finished pre-ordering mine last week, but because I play my PS4 controller on a PS3, I'm now wondering if Ultimax will work on a PS4 controller. If anyone knows, can you please tell me.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By mpgeist

PSN: MP_Geist Can't wait to mash X with you guys.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished pre-ordering mine last week, but because I play my PS4 controller on a PS3, I'm now wondering if Ultimax will work on a PS4 controller. If anyone knows, can you please tell me.

It does. I don't know of any recent PS3 games that don't work with a PS4 controller.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#77 alistercat  Online

Question. Does this contain the story of the original and if so are there story additions to the original characters.

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've pre-ordered it already, but i'm getting it on 360 because i'm an xbox peasant like that. Rather have it on ps3 but don't have a ps3 with me at college :/

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question. Does this contain the story of the original and if so are there story additions to the original characters.

P4AU's story contains none of P4A's story. Different games, different stories, albeit it only a few in-universe days apart of each other.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@zeik said:

@stealthmaster86 said:

It does. I don't know of any recent PS3 games that don't work with a PS4 controller.

GTAV is one. I know it's not that recent anymore, but nothing on the PS3 is.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can't wait to get mine in the mail in 9 days. I get those awesome pre-order bonuses too

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@flstyle said:

@alistercat said:

P4AU's story contains none of P4A's story. Different games, different stories, albeit it only a few in-universe days apart of each other.

This isn't true. P4AU's story is a straight up, 15 hour sequel to the first game. However, P4AU also contains the entirety of P4A's story with every separate character chapter, as the DLC: Episode P4A.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

@alistercat said:

There's DLC for 5 bucks that gives you the original story mode

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 alistercat  Online

@flstyle said:

@alistercat said:

This isn't true. P4AU's story is a straight up, 15 hour sequel to the first game. However, P4AU also contains the entirety of P4A's story, as the DLC story chapter: Episode P4A.

Now I'm confused. The original story is included in this new game as a DLC chapter? Or the new story is DLC?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@alistercat said:

Now I'm confused. The original story is included in this new game as a DLC chapter? Or the new story is DLC?

This game is a direct, ~15 hour long sequel to Persona 4 Arena that takes place after Persona 4 Arena. This sequel also contains the ~20 hour story of the previous game, Persona 4 Arena, for those who didn't play it, but as DLC.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 alistercat  Online
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

@alistercat said:

This isn't true. P4AU's story is a straight up, 15 hour sequel to the first game. However, P4AU also contains the entirety of P4A's story with every separate character chapter, as the DLC: Episode P4A.

@bocam said:

@flstyle said:

@alistercat said:

There's DLC for 5 bucks that gives you the original story mode

That actually sounds vaguely familiar, I must have heard about it and forgotten.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Zeik

@zeik said:

@stealthmaster86 said:

GTAV is one. I know it's not that recent anymore, but nothing on the PS3 is.

I consider anything that has come out within the last year recent. (ie, within relatively close proximity to the PS4 launch.) That seems like a huge oversight for a big game like GTAV.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#89  Edited By Stealthmaster86
    LOOK UPON AND GAZE IN AWE!
    LOOK UPON AND GAZE IN AWE!

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 more days! Can't wait for those silly pre order bonuses!

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm pretty excited! Really hope I'll be able to download the US version off the PSN store on my PAL PS3. Otherwise I'm stuck waiting until November.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The digital version just finished installing to my HDD. Knowing its sitting on my PS3 ready to go but not activated for another 2 days is going to kill me.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had it prepurchased since july. So excited for this to show up on Tuesday. I'm actually getting all my homework for the week done today haha.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ooh ooh, me me! Oh wait... me and my buds are getting in on 360 because they don't have Playstations....

I'll leave...

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I've gotta beat the first one first, and wait for this to go down in price. I keep forgetting how to play it though every time I take a break.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

I'm getting this on 360 however since this is coming out only 3 days before Smash Brothers 3DS I'm only going to half time to do story mode before I shelve it entirely. I'm hoping I can get it all done in some Marathon Sessions Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@petiew: @killercombo:

http://www.destructoid.com/sega-to-publish-persona-4-ultimax-in-europe-281396.phtml

Apparently it isn't that far of, at least if that article is correct. Which is exciting news, I think I'll just wait on the European release, I never got around to finish the original and I already burned my game budget for this month on Danganronpa 1 and 2.

And don't know if you're joking petiew, but I guess we should do that if we Europeans want to actually get these kinds of games readily available.

DualFayte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't wait to play this, it would be rad to play with fellow duders.

PSN: DualFayte

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Teddie

So I dunno if this was just on my end, but I set up my PS4 controller since the dpad doesn't hurt my thumb on quarter circles etc, like the PS3's does, but I couldn't do any crouch-blocks. So maybe the double-dpad inputs don't work? Real shame if that's an actual issue and not just me being stupid.

Also, god damn that new Igor is terrible. And they even used the voice clips from last game's character select, so now he has 2 voice actors in this game. Okay then.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See you guys on tomorrow after I get home from work!!!!

PSN: Mega-Beef-Bowl

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.