Anyone else find it weird that Yu has Adachi's voice?

• 62 results
#1 Posted by OKane3 (17 posts) -

i dunno if this is as new to people as it was to me but Yu totally has everyone's favorite raper guy's voice coming out of him and its making me kind of uncomfortable. I mean, its hilarious, but still. anyone else feel like this is a weird decision?

#2 Posted by Chibi_Kaji (170 posts) -

That's because the same guy did both voices.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

He has voiced lines in this game, so they actually did keep Bosch as his VA?

#4 Posted by Chibi_Kaji (170 posts) -

They got everyone buy Chie and Teddie's VA's for the game.

#5 Posted by Bocam (3706 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Yes and he sounds exactly like Adachi. Even more so when his shadow comes out.

#6 Posted by DrRandle (1202 posts) -

I guess I didn't notice it in P4 that Yu and Adachi had the same voices..but I totally hear it now that he has more lines than "Mm." Kind of fits though.. they both have Izanagi. Something abou sides and coins.

#7 Edited by MetalBaofu (1365 posts) -

@OKane3: Yeah, they were the same voice actor in the original Persona 4, too. It's just not as noticeable there since the main character only speaks during battle to say the persona's name. I think I noticed it back then(when Persona 4 was first released), because I had also been watching Bleach at that time, so I had been listening to a lot of Johnny Yong Bosch.

#8 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -

no less weird than him talking as much as he does in the first place .. and not being called charlie tunoku ... of course

#9 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Yep it really tripped me out.

#10 Posted by YI_Orange (1141 posts) -

I always knew they were the same VA, but yeah, it's still a bit weird.

Also, the protagonist/Ryoji/Pharos of Persona 3 is Yuri Lowenthall(Yosuke)

#11 Posted by endaround (2142 posts) -

Still think it was more a joke for P4. In made story sense in P3 to have the same actor.

#12 Posted by SmasheControllers (2547 posts) -

Shhhh...

#13 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1758 posts) -

Considering they're both voiced by Johnny Young Bosch, no I don't find it weird since that fuckers in anything with a dub theses days.

#14 Posted by OKane3 (17 posts) -

i wonder if they'll keep that connection with the inevitable P5. the protagonist and antagonist/connected character having the same VA that is

#15 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Yep, it is pretty weird.

#16 Posted by ErinIsADrunk (165 posts) -

I kind it really jarring to the point of being taken out of whatever is happening story wise every time he opens his mouth because all I hear is Adachi especially when Yu does the creepy raper guy voice.

I'm not up on my voice acting and don't follow Johnny Yong Bosch but does he only have the one voice he can do? Yu, Adachi and Archie (Catherine) sound like the same voice. Is his voice range really that limited or was this an intentional choice on Atlus' part because they like the way that voice sounds?

#17 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (618 posts) -

i didn't really think about it until i saw this and was reminded of it but now i can't stop thinking about it. it's not as distracting though as how it seems Yukiko's voice actor changes some times during some scenes compared to others.

#18 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -
@MyNiceIceLife said:

it's not as distracting though as how it seems Yukiko's voice actor changes some times during some scenes compared to others.

I think I heard a somewhat British-English accent coming out at times? Don't seem to remember that in Persona 4. Then again, I don't much care for Yukiko so I mainly avoided her.
#19 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (618 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

it's not as distracting though as how it seems Yukiko's voice actor changes some times during some scenes compared to others.

I think I heard a somewhat British-English accent coming out at times? Don't seem to remember that in Persona 4. Then again, I don't much care for Yukiko so I mainly avoided her.

yea that's about what i keep hearing every so often. kind of a more snobby/more monotone sound then normal. i like yukiko so it's really distracting.

#20 Posted by FLStyle (4652 posts) -

Bosch puts in work during P4A, I've noticed several characters he voices. The only times it felt weird was when it was a little too close to Adachi.

#21 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

Anyone else find it weird that Adachi has the same voice as the Black Ranger?

#22 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

Only as weird as them having the same voice in P4. And having the same voice as numerous NPCs through P4 too. It shouldn't matter too much unless Adachi is in the game (please don't tell me if he is although it would total bullshit). If it comes out of Japan and is dubbed, expect him to in there somewhere. If they'd have replaced him, I'm sure there would be internet bitching going on, despite him only grunting in P4.

JYB does have a very recognisable voice but I think he's okay. He has a super gruff voice that he uses for hero characters like Ichigo and a more sly, creepy one used for villains or less heroic heroes. I imagine his Narukami is somewhere in the middle.

#23 Posted by Nexas (625 posts) -

It got really weird when I fought him in Chie's story. The things he was saying to Chie was pretty the exact same thing that Adachi said near the end of the game.

#24 Posted by Hunter5024 (5601 posts) -

Ryouji and P3 Protagonist have the same voice too. But that makes a little more sense.

#25 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Both characters always had the same voice actor, even in the RPG. Symbolism!

#26 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10868 posts) -

No. But it's weird that Charlie has the same voice as Adachi.

#27 Posted by Hailinel (24289 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan

Oh, shut up. Charlie is not his name. The Endurance Run is not the end all be all if Persona 4.
#28 Posted by Pazy (2563 posts) -

I find it more confusing that they Main Character has three seperate names. I will never be able to see Yu as his name since it comes 3-4 years too late.

#29 Posted by Pazy (2563 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@MooseyMcMan

Oh, shut up. Charlie is not his name. The Endurance Run is not the end all be all if Persona 4.

Its his name on the Giant Bomb forums, it has been since early 2009 when the character didnt have a name, just because they assigned one to him years later as part of the animation cant change that everyone in this forum has know him as Charlie for 3 years.

#30 Posted by Hailinel (24289 posts) -
@Pazy

@Hailinel said:

@MooseyMcMan

Its his name on the Giant Bomb forums, it has been since early 2009 when the character didnt have a name, just because they assigned one to him years later as part of the animation cant change that everyone in this forum has know him as Charlie for 3 years.

He was known as Souji in the manga long before the ER started and I named him something else entirely. I have never once referred to the character as Charlie. Yu's situation is no different than Tamaki Uchida's. The formerly nameless female protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei: if... that was given a name when she reappeared in Persona as an NPC.
#31 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

yep, been totally expecting yu to bust out the word bitch at one point, i would have lost it if he did

#32 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Nope all I hear is the black ranger anyways.

#33 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
@Pazy

@Hailinel said:

@MooseyMcMan

He was known as Souji in the manga long before the ER started and I named him something else entirely. I have never once referred to the character as Charlie. Yu's situation is no different than Tamaki Uchida's. The formerly nameless female protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei: if... that was given a name when she reappeared in Persona as an NPC.
 I miss this picture.
#34 Posted by ashogo (943 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@MooseyMcMan

Oh, shut up. It's an endearing nickname that a lot of GB members hold dear. Call him what you want, but there's no need to rain on other people's parade.

#35 Posted by sissylion (679 posts) -

Atlus America utilizes their voice actors because they get good ones. Pretty common for them to double up, especially in the main games. Troy Baker does Kanji and the cop that guards Namatame's room, Laura Bailey does Rise and a lot of the nameless students, etc.

#36 Edited by chrominance (19 posts) -

The voice acting in Arena is taking a little bit of time to get used to, personally. And strangely, it's not the new voices that are weirding me out as much as the old ones. Yu/Adachi is bizarre, less because he sounds a lot like Adachi (though he does) and more because Yu was so quiet during the first game, and I've gotten so used to the Japanese VA's tone thanks to the anime that it's hard to go back. But even stranger is Yukiko, who I'm pretty sure has the same voice actor as before. Something about her performance here feels off, though--more prim, less airhead, like her dialect's moved up a quarter of a step in terms of income class or something. And then there's Labrys, who sounds like the sassy proprietor of a 1920s speakeasy on occasion (though someone on GameFAQs noted it was a Bostonian or Brooklyn accent, which--maybe? doesn't quite fit to me).

It's definitely not enough to ruin the game or the story, but it does add a bit to this weird sense that I'm actually playing a P4 fanfic. I can't quite take it seriously as canon. That said, Yosuke and Rise are both great. Haven't really heard anyone else yet.

#37 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@chrominance said:

But even stranger is Yukiko, who I'm pretty sure has the same voice actor as before. Something about her performance here feels off, though--more prim, less airhead, like her dialect's moved up a quarter of a step in terms of income class or something.

Yeah, Yukiko's the main "issue" I have with the VA. Sometimes she speaks with a kind of accent, one that I don't think she had in Persona 4.

#38 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@ashogo said:

@Hailinel said:

@MooseyMcMan

Oh, shut up. It's an endearing nickname that a lot of GB members hold dear. Call him what you want, but there's no need to rain on other people's parade.

Bhrono Trigger is one of my favorite games EVER.

#39 Posted by FLStyle (4652 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

Ryouji and P3 Protagonist have the same voice too. But that makes a little more sense.

He does Yosuke too as I recall.

#40 Posted by The_Nubster (2090 posts) -

@endaround said:

Still think it was more a joke for P4. In made story sense in P3 to have the same actor.

In P4, the shared voice actor was to show that

Adachi is Charlie without the conscience. They both got their power to enter the TV in the same way, and both found out by accident. Whereas Adachi used his power to wreak havoc on the town for fun, Charlie used his powers for good. It's further driven home by Adachi also possessing Izanagi (though a bloodied, demonic-looking version of it).

Spoilered it just to be safe.

#41 Posted by Hailinel (24289 posts) -
@ashogo

@Hailinel said:

@MooseyMcMan

I'm not saying people can't call him that. It's the insistance that Charlie is his one true name that's irritating about this. The joke is played out. Call him Yu, or Souji, or Charlie, or whatever, but don't try to insist that his name is officially anything other than what the developers have named him. When people call him Yu, don't pretend that name has no meaning and claim that his name is Charlie. Just call him Charlie if you must and continue with the conversation.
#42 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10868 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ashogo

@Hailinel said:

@MooseyMcMan

I'm not saying people can't call him that. It's the insistance that Charlie is his one true name that's irritating about this. The joke is played out. Call him Yu, or Souji, or Charlie, or whatever, but don't try to insist that his name is officially anything other than what the developers have named him. When people call him Yu, don't pretend that name has no meaning and claim that his name is Charlie. Just call him Charlie if you must and continue with the conversation.

I'm sorry that you got so worked up over a joke.

#43 Posted by Hailinel (24289 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan To be fair, it's a joke that's been beaten into a fine paste over the past few years :P
#44 Edited by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Pazy

@Hailinel said:

@MooseyMcMan

Stop being such a fucking killjoy dude.

#45 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Hailinel said:

@Pazy

@Hailinel said:

@MooseyMcMan

Stop being such a fucking killjoy dude.

yeah stop channeling naoto

but yeah, especially when you're fighting against him and he starts getting antagonistic... that first match in the chie storyline he's saying to her what he said as Adachi in P4

#46 Posted by Superkenon (1409 posts) -

His prize is for half the thread to be about Charlie now!

Anyway, P3 and P4 Spoilers, just in case:

Because I played P3 first (go figure), I thought there was significance to the fact that Adachi and Charlie had the same voice actor. So I spent the whole game suspecting Adachi to be the real killer for the wrong reason, haha.
#47 Posted by DisquisedJustin (40 posts) -

@ErinIsADrunk: No, Young Bosch changes it up occassionally, for the most part he sounds the same in everything he's in (Trigun, Bleach, Code Geass, Akira) but in Eureka Seven, he actually uses a whiney kids voice, and I had no idea it was him until I read the credits. He sounds completely different in that show compared to just about everything else he does, but otherwise he uses the same voice for each character.

#48 Posted by Nux (2325 posts) -

Not really, he was voiced by Bosch in P4 too. It is still a little weird to hear him speak as much as he does in the game.

#49 Posted by Hunter5024 (5601 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

@Hunter5024 said:

He does Yosuke too as I recall.

He does everybody. He's like Nolan North for anime and japanese games.

#50 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@ErinIsADrunk said:

I'm not up on my voice acting and don't follow Johnny Yong Bosch but does he only have the one voice he can do? Yu, Adachi and Archie (Catherine)

Yep.

Well, no. He has two voices: young anime boy and Adachi. 

Still, I think it fits Yu...Not sure what that says about Yu, but there you go. But its bizzare that he voices so many random NPC's.

@Hailinel said:

Call him Yu, or Souji, or Charlie, or whatever,

That's exactly what he did. Your outburst was kinda lame and uncalled for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.