Arcade stick layout?

#1 Posted by punisherkaos (276 posts) -

So im looking at the default layout for a stick and it seems kinda weird to use. I was thinking of trying out the blazblu layout cause im already familiar with it but it would make throws a little awkward. I was just curious about the different layout's u guys think u will use.

#2 Edited by redyoshi (153 posts) -

I am going to give the default a shot, simply because I feel like changing the buttons usually lead to more problems than it's worth, but I may try out ABC on the top, D under A if the box layout is too much trouble for me.

#3 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

The Melty Blood / BlazBlue config if it doesn't feel too awkward.

#4 Posted by JeanLuc (3583 posts) -

I tend to try and stick with the default layout in a video game. I mean they did it that way for a reason right? Of course if its really bothering me I'll change it.

In this case I'll probably stick with the default.

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (8235 posts) -

I'll probably play on pad honestly, I prefer it for 4-button fighters, but if it was me I'd probably use a stick layout like this:

A B C

D

#6 Edited by gravitypenguin (69 posts) -

I think the

A C

B D

Layout is arcade standard for this one.

That said do what works for you. There's no "right" way to do input for fighting games regardless of what people may tell you.

EDIT: I'm planning to go pad right now for the record.

#7 Posted by Carryboy (676 posts) -

Hmmm will either go

a c

b c

or like i do in kof

a c d

b

will have to see how the game plays but im with you never been one for a straight 4 button layout.

#8 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Yeah I'm not really sure if I'm going to use my stick for this one. It seems like it would work well enough with the pad.

#9 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

I think I'll bend the box layout, blazblue-style:

a c d

b

The way the buttons on my stick are laid out make hitting burst (a+c+d) way too awkward otherwise.

#10 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

I've never played Blazblue with a stick, but looking at my SF stick with a curved row of buttons, I think the people saying

A C D have the right idea. It fits the curvature of my thumb and first three fingers.

B

#11 Posted by lordofultima (6249 posts) -

A+B+C and A+C+D are the combinations you need to think about. I think the layout makes perfect sense when you think about those inputs.

#12 Posted by Yattane (7 posts) -

I'm going to stick with the default layout, but I sure am tempted to play Melty style.

A B C

D

#13 Posted by SmasheControllers (2550 posts) -

A B

C D

#14 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

I use

ABC

DXX

I found it a lot easier to use than

AB

CD

Especially for one more cancels.

#15 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

Right now I'm using SNK style

AB

CD

but might try that

ABC

D

madness.

#16 Posted by _Soki_ (101 posts) -

The controller works really well for this game, at least for me it does. I was able to get threw 1-26 in Yu Narukami's challenge mode with a controller.

#17 Posted by BradBrains (951 posts) -

I came into it fully ready to change the controls but the default setup works extremely well for the way the combos work.

I even tried with a controller as well and yea its wasn't terrible though i wont do it often as im terrible at quarter circles without a fight stick

#18 Posted by Wrenchfarm (15 posts) -

I'm using the default box, makes sense for using the All-Out attack, Burst, and OMC. Thinking about trying to use some of the spare buttons for one touch Burst and such.

#19 Posted by kerse (2113 posts) -

What arcade stick do you guys use? Are they expensive? I've never really thought about getting one til now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.