Atlus USA is being coy again.

#1 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

So, yeah, its probably Mayonaka Arena. Compare with the logo:

Logo
#2 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

Maybe. Or they are announcing Persona 5.

#3 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

@MasturbatingestBear: No, that is not going to happen, brah. Atlus USA, not Atlus co.

'Sides, the tv-motif is a P4 thing and the Mayonaka logo matches up perfectly.

#4 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Dammit, why. I have no time for games, yet...

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

#5 Posted by OriginalGman (294 posts) -

You know, as niche as Persona still may be over here, I wouldn't be surprised by a simultaneous announcement from both Atlus JP and Atlus USA, just so we don't have to get the translated news before they can deliver it. But I knew that splash screen in the background meant something, and you're right, it's 99.9999% definitely a Mayonaka Arena announcement. I wonder what they're gonna call it here.

#6 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Hopefully a release date.

#7 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

Really hopeful of a P5 announcement.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (24405 posts) -
@MasturbatingestBear

Really hopeful of a P5 announcement.

Not from Atlus USA at this point.
#9 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

I'm not relieved (since this was obviously going to happen), but I don't think I'm annoyed, either. It's an odd kind of tease, I think.

It's got me excited for it, though, so I guess their little tease is working.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Why are people ruling out Persona 5 so early? Maybe the box art for that game also uses that splash stuff. It certainly wouldn't be the first time this type of thing happened :P.

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Why are people ruling out Persona 5 so early? Maybe the box art for that game also uses that splash stuff. It certainly wouldn't be the first time this type of thing happened :P.

I don't understand why people keep suggesting a Persona 5 when Atlus USA teases anything. They don't actually make games and it's extremely unlikely that they'd be teasing a game that would then be announced by the Japanese branch.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ:

I'm just joking about it, as denoted by the ":P" at the end of my post.

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: This is why I dislike emoticons. T_T

#14 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Good news I guess. Like all Persona fans, I'm still waiting for Persona 5.

#15 Posted by Zabant (1236 posts) -

I got excited, then remembered I live in the uk......

FUCK WHY AM I SUCH A WHORE FOR ACHIEVEMENTS....I COULD JUST IMPORT THE PS3 VERSION

#16 Posted by metalsnakezero (2290 posts) -

This is most likely the fighting game if that picture right. I was hoping for P4G but they'll have a different picture for that.

#17 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

Oh wow, that's a pretty good catch. I was about to come on here and whinge "Why would they send a pointless email like that?", but got some (almost) real news instead.

Do you think they'll change 'Mayonaka' in an English release?

#18 Posted by Commisar123 (1791 posts) -

I really like these actually

#19 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@Devoid said:

Of course they will. As far as I know, 'mayonaka' means midnight in Japanese; it's not a proper noun.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (24405 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Devoid said:

Of course they will. As far as I know, 'mayonaka' means midnight in Japanese; it's not a proper noun.

Mayonaka is indeed the Japanese word for midnight, thus "Mayonaka TV" was translated as "Midnight Channel." I imagine that the game will be entitled something like Persona 4: The Ultimate Midnight Arena; though if Atlus USA really wants to make it a long title, they'll probably append the Shin Megami Tensei branding to it as they do with every Megami Tensei game they release.

#21 Posted by Flappy (2198 posts) -

They can just call it, "Persona 4: Ultimate Badass Rumble," and I'll be a satisfied dude. Then again, I'm one of the weird folks that loved Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble a little too much.

#22 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

I'm betting that it will just be Persona 4: Midnight Arena

#23 Posted by endaround (2142 posts) -

I think people are missing the big thing here. By teasing it in February we maybe looking at a simultaneous Japan/NA release.

#24 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
#25 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@endaround said:

I think people are missing the big thing here. By teasing it in February we maybe looking at a simultaneous Japan/NA release.

Oh, I'm definitely not missing that. I believe that it's unusual for Atlus USA to tease a game before it even has a Japanese release date, so hopefully that means something.

#26 Posted by Pepsiman (2470 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Finally Atlus is announcing a new Hammerin' Hero Operation Darkness game.

I thought you could use an even more beloved game in that comment.

In all seriousness, as somebody who's wittingly dumb enough to actually be okay with importing it if the Japanese edition was super far ahead of the English one (as if I haven't spent enough money this year poorly enough on Persona goods and will not continue to do so), my wallet is secretly grateful that a simultaneous release is looking pretty likely. If that turns out to be the case, people will probably really harass Atlus USA for dual voice options more than usual, but whatever. Once all that stuff is out of the way, my only question is when the official Mad Catz Tournament Edition Chie fight stick will be a tangible item for purchase.

#27 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

I really hope the name stays the same. That would be the greatest.

#28 Posted by dogman795 (109 posts) -

Was this in the Atlus Faithful email? The one i got was just a black screen with the subject "_____"

#29 Posted by Nux (2330 posts) -

If they are going to go for the direct translation then I can see them calling it Persona 4: Midnight Arena or something along thoes lines.

#30 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

@Pepsiman said:

If that turns out to be the case, people will probably really harass Atlus USA for dual voice options more than usual, but whatever. Once all that stuff is out of the way, my only question is when the official Mad Catz Tournament Edition Chie fight stick will be a tangible item for purchase.

Duel voices would be cool. I can see why they wouldn't do that for the full games. All that dialogue must take up space. With a fighting game is makes much for sense to include both.

Also, I would buy that Chie fighting stick in a heartbeat!

#31 Posted by Pepsiman (2470 posts) -

@JeanLuc: Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised either way. The main barrier to it, as is usually the case, tends to be less a space issue (although it certainly was for their PS2 RPGs) and more of a licensing one. Most voice acting contracts in Japan are negotiated without having a clause including localization rights to use those Japanese voices (at least for games), so utilizing them again often requires negotiating a new set of contracts with the cast and paying them accordingly. That's what I imagine will be the sticking point for Atlus USA if there is a desire to pursue it internally. I know that they aren't inherently against dual voice releases, since they have managed it before in cases like Odin Sphere, but Persona 4 and Mayonaka Arena by extension have some pretty well-known Japanese voice actors and that could very well drive the price up, even if those voices are appearing in a game whose audience may not definitively know who they are. As a company that tends to publish just enough copies of any given game to at least break even or make a slight profit, I'm curious to see if Atlus USA can juggle those numbers and still come out on top.

#32 Posted by SMTDante89 (2564 posts) -

Atlus just sent me an e-mail, it will simply be called Persona 4 Arena and you can pre-order it here.

#33 Posted by metalsnakezero (2290 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.