Can you lose ranks?

#1 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

I thought your rank was determined by your PSR, but from the people I've played it seems that people have higher PSR than me but are lower ranks. Any explanation to this?

#2 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

I've seen people ranked E, which i'm guessing is lower than F-, which you start at.
In short, yeah I think so.

#3 Posted by Dawglet (313 posts) -

@UncleClassy said:

I've seen people ranked E, which i'm guessing is lower than F-, which you start at. In short, yeah I think so.

A B C D E F

#4 Posted by Vashyron (225 posts) -

@Joeyoe31: PSR is determined by how well you do with a character. The more you win with a character, the higher your PSR. Even if you lose with a character, your PSR is unlikely to go down more than a few points.

Your Rank is your how well you are doing overall across all characters. The more matches you win, the quicker you can increase your rank. However, should you go through a losing streak, you are very likely to start losing rank as well.

#5 Posted by HadesTimes (827 posts) -

I'm not sure that you can lose Rank because you are all ways gaining XP. Even when you lose. So I don't think so.

#6 Posted by MethodMan008 (822 posts) -

Just to re-confirm, you can lose rank. I have done it. :P

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Yeah, went from B+ to C+ in a single day a short while back.

#8 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

@MethodMan008: I figured. Just like most online ranking systems you can lose a rank. Just wasn't 100% sure how it worked.

@FluxWaveZ: Come on Flux. Ranked is too ez peez. Gotta step your game up.

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@Joeyoe31: I'm rank A now with an 80% w/l ratio with Shadow Labrys, so I'm not doing too bad. Ranked can get pretty tough sometimes, though. At least, it used to when I was playing Akihiko...

#10 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: You just mash A for those sick confirms. Akihiko's A is god like in the case of his bnb.

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@Joeyoe31: Man, if only it was that easy. Eventually, auto-combos don't cut it (especially with S. Labrys).

#12 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1482 posts) -

Almost lost my meager rank twice, but didn't thankfully

You can start loosing ranks after you reach C rank

#13 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter: Comfortably just reached C+ about to hit B-. So far nothing has really given me a hard time.

#14 Posted by Liquidus (942 posts) -

@Joeyoe31 said:

@thebunnyhunter: Comfortably just reached C+ about to hit B-. So far nothing has really given me a hard time.

#15 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -
@Dawglet said:

@UncleClassy said:

I've seen people ranked E, which i'm guessing is lower than F-, which you start at. In short, yeah I think so.

A B C D E F

OH SHIT, you're right!
#16 Posted by WJist (308 posts) -

From my estimation, rank can't really go down until about class C (the achievement). I seem to rank up no matter what every time I win two ranked matches in a row.

Pro tip: The game seems to prioritize matching up on PSRs over Rank, so if you are having a hard time winning with the character you spend the most time with, play a different character and you'll get matched up with people also trying out new characters (low PSR) or outright new people to the game. It was a little sketchy, but I got up to C quickly using this method and now don't care as much about rank.

#17 Posted by lordofultima (6286 posts) -

@UncleClassy said:

I was laughing at this. Good show!

#18 Posted by drac96 (674 posts) -

You can rank down, but it will not take you below a C.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.