Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

Persona 4 Arena is an Arc System Works-developed fighting game with an Atlus-developed story mode that serves as the official sequel to both Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Do not spoil Persona 4 Arena (P4A Spoiler Thread)

• 124 results
    NIveous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By NIveous

Kanji: Yo, yo, yo! How's it hangin', Nao doll?

Naoto: K-Kanji-kun...?

Well, he certainly looks like Kanji-kun

But it only looks that way...

Kanji: Ya know, I been thinkin' The way ya talk is...so lame...

Naoto: H-Huh...?

I thought I was ready to face anyone, but this isn't a matter of being in my right mind or not

Is this an illusion?

Oh, please let this one be an illusion!

Kanji: It's like, way too uptight and goody-goody!...It makes ya sound so distant, ya dig?

Naoto: Is that so...?

Kanji: See, that's what I'm talkin' bout Ya coulda...just said, "Oh, ya think so?"

Naoto: Y-You think so?

Kanji: Yeah, now you're gettin' it! Now I feel...like I'm on your wavelength!

Naoto: Th-Thanks...

Naoto: Then again, relatability aside, I feel like...you were miles away from me to begin with...

Kanji: Heeeey, yer doin' it again What's with the...Ms Manners act?

Naoto: I'm sorry, it's a habit of mine...

Kanji: Or maybe it's that ya don't care about gettin'...close to us, huh? You don't feel like ya gotta...bother gettin' to know us and stuff?

Naoto: Of course I don't think... H-Hell no, man...

Kanji: Tch, you never warm up to anyone because you...set your standards so goddamn high...

Naoto: (Oh dear, he's shown his true self!)

Kanji: Is it you-know-what? Are ya putting on a show...of not lettin' anyone near you 'cause you got...no confidence in yourself? Is that it!?

Naoto: Kanji-kun...

They may be false accusations, but some of their statements are hitting home...

I can't brush off these words, and my heart aches...

Kanji: What's got you so nervous? Your height?...Your body? That girly voice?

Kanji: Then lemme give you a little lesson in...manliness! I hope you're ready for the...pain I'm bringin'! Haaaaaa!

This is insanity!

Naoto: W-Wait a second, I didn't say any--Ugh!

<BATTLE [vs KANJI]>

Naoto: Kanji-kun, are you all right?

Kanji: ...'Course I am Your attacks were like little...bug bites I just let my guard down, is all

I don't know if he's acting tough or trying to be courteous to me, but at least he's back to the usual Kanji-kun

The usual... Kanji-kun--

Usual?

Wait, didn't Yu-senpai say that, too...?

Well, at the very least, it seems that the spell is broken once the battle ends

I let out a sigh of relief

Still... For some reason, Kanji-kun has yet to look this way...

Naoto: Are you... really okay? I was told that the...others lost contact with you, so... how did...you come to be here?

Kanji: H-How? Well, I, uh... i-it was a change of pace?

Naoto: You came into the TV for a change of pace?...Did something happen? I'm willing to listen if...you'd like to talk about it...

Kanji: There's nothin' to talk about! I mean,...wait, n-not that I don't wanna talk to you...

Kanji: Like it's, it's not that I DO wanna talk or......that I don't wanna... A-Anyways, there's just...some times a man wants to go inside a TV by himself!

Naoto: I'm not sure I follow...

Kanji: Get off my back, will you!? I didn't come in here...because I like it... A-Actually, no, that is why...I came! Because I like this place!

When Kanji-kun turns around, his face is red But with anger, or something else...?

Naoto: I just don't understand why you're being so...loud about it and blushing so fiercely...

Kanji: I-I wasn't blushing!

Kanji: B-Besides, it's your fault! Y-You're the one...that was, uh, well, being all, you know...

Naoto: Me...? What are you talking about?

Kanji: Y-You want me to come out and say it!? Geez,...I thought you'd gone crazy 'cause of that!

Naoto: Me? Crazy? You were the one who was acting...oddly... calling me "Nao doll" and whatnot...

Kanji: "N-Nao doll"!? Why would I call you that!?

Naoto: Hm, wait a second...? Acting strangely...

I saw Kanji-kun as mad, and he saw me as the same

And yet, both of us claim that we hadn't gone crazy

...I get it now

That's why Yu-senpai called me "the usual Naoto"

Naoto: Ah, of course An illusion...

Kanji: Huh?

Naoto: I believe we were both under the illusion that...the other had lost their mind...

Naoto: That's why neither of us remembers saying what...the other heard...

Kanji: Illusions, huh?

Naoto: It must be a scheme to make friends fight each...other But if that's the case...

It's not as simple as the person I have to fight being "crazy"

Yu-senpai and Kanju-kun both said things that dig deep into my personal problems

If these are illusions, then whoever's creating them has to be someone who knows us...

Naoto: The ability to interfere with others' senses......the prior knowledge of us... putting it all...together, it must be...

Kanji: Must be what?

Naoto: The Teddie acting as the tournament's host,...as well as Rise-san, must be genuine...

Kanji: You moron There's no way it's them

I look up at Kanji-kun in surprise...

Kanji: That Ted and Rise are fakes C'mon, they're...not twisted like that You of all people...oughtta know

He doesn't have any proof

But his unshakeable trust in me sets me at ease

Even if I told him that Rise and Teddie are both missing, I'm sure his answer wouldn't change...

Naoto: Who else, then?

Kanji: Well, you know... there is someone here...besides us I saw her on my way here...

Kanji: Some girl with long hair...

Naoto: A girl...? Did she happen to be wearing a white...fur shawl and combat gear beneath it...?

Kanji: Fur? What're you talking about? She had on...a normal Yaso girl's uniform And her hair...was like, tied back...

Naoto: A female student with tied-back hair?...I don't recall anyone like that...

I thought he might have run into Kirijo-san, but that doesn't appear to have been the case

Is that girl Kanji-kun's talking about a suspect?

I can't tell for sure...

Naoto: I'll keep it in mind Well, I should be...moving on...

Kanji: Hold on, I'll come with... Wait, what the hell?

Ah The invisible walls again

Just like last time, I can't touch it myself...

Naoto: The rules seem to dictate that only the victor...can proceed I'll come for you later...

Kanji: Eh, don't bother I'll figure this out...myself somehow...

Kanji: That aside, you beat me... You better make...sure you're the champion in the end!

Naoto: That's completely irrelevant to the larger...objective...

I leave Kanji-kun behind and push on ahead

We're being shown illusions that portray our opponents as having lost their senses

But why is the host of this tournament going to such elaborate lengths?

Obviously, it's to get people who know each other to fight, but is that the only goal?

Still... I wonder how I had appeared to Senpai and Kanji-kun

I'm not that worried about Senpai, but thinking about Kanji-kun's reaction--how he had blushed--is burning a hole in my stomach

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Bocam

Poor Kanji

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By mutha3
    @Bocam said:

Poor Kanji

dude deserves better. he should hit up rumor-loving girl or brown-haired girl's friend.
    NIveous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By NIveous
    No Caption Provided

Haha, I wish...

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#55  Edited By Phatmac

@NIveous: *yip*

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#56  Edited By golguin

@Chop said:

Man, fuck. Erin just used her shitty ass Midori voice for Chie.

Fuck that. Just awful sounding.

I think she sounds pretty good. I've watched the Chie story up to her 2nd fight and it only took a few minutes before I forgot that she isn't the original VO. The only part that sounded un-Chie was when she greeted Yu/Charlie for the first time. Other than that it all sounds good.

NIveous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By NIveous
    Alright, so uh. Some of you may have seen this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-TfJ9c-m1E If not, go watch and then read on.
    What you see in this video is captured from an SNES copy of Shin Megami Tensei 1. The person recording the video repeatedly pressed reset, and at the end, instead of replaying the usual opening bit of the Atlus logo, red text flashed up on the screen repeating over and over. The text reads ‘Turn Off Immediately’ or ‘Delete Immediately’, but doesn't say whether it means the game or you. Creepy, yeah? Supposedly this creepy little easter egg existed only on the very first run of the SNES copy, but there’s very little information out there about it, and some people pinned it as a hoax.
    Flash forward to today. People who turned on their copies of Persona 4 Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena found this waiting for them:

Edit: lots of stuff in this video, and this guy's channel in general, however

http://www.twitch.tv/wety418/b/326451197

compare voice at 1:33-- to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmuKwYriBVs&t=3m17s

Also also

No Caption Provided
    consolesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By consolesman

After watching roughly half of the story mode in an english live stream, i have to holy shit at the amount of text. It's absolutely not a bad thing at all because you get to hear what each characters thoughts on this situation is.

The joke paths are kinda funny but it seems more like something arc sytem works wanted to do rather than atlus.

I felt really nostalgic whenever persona 3 music started playing. Interesting to know Mitsuru and Akihiko don't need their evokers to summon their personas. Seeing the picture of the shadow operatives makes me kind of hope that the next persona game might get into it more.I still have no idea why Elizabeth is there yet but i have not read anything about her story either.

Is anything of this referenced in the golden?

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By Juno500

@consolesman said:

Interesting to know Mitsuru and Akihiko don't need their evokers to summon their personas.

My personal theory has always been that it's easier to summon personas in the Midnight Channel and so you don't need them. After all, Personas can be summoned in the Dark Hour without an Evoker, it's just more difficult.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Bocam

Poor fucking Kanji

No Caption Provided
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By mutha3
    @Juno500 said:

@consolesman said:

Interesting to know Mitsuru and Akihiko don't need their evokers to summon their personas.

My personal theory has always been that it's easier to summon personas in the Midnight Channel and so you don't need them. After all, Personas can be summoned in the Dark Hour without an Evoker, it's just more difficult.

Your theory turned out to be correct.They say as much in the story mode.

They also confirm that evokers let them summon Persona outside of the dark hour

@Bocam

Do you know if its true that the current game doesn't progress past 99% completed in story mode? Same thing happened in the play-through I watched.
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Phatmac

@Bocam said:

Poor fucking Kanji

No Caption Provided

How could someone forget Kanji!?!?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Bocam

@mutha3 said:

@Bocam: Do you know if its true that the current game doesn't progress past 99% completed in story mode? Same thing happened in the play-through I watched.

I haven't actually beaten the story mode yet, but that might be a weird quirk left over from Blazblue, where there's a single line of text that needs to be read to get 100%.

@Phatmac: Teddie's a dick.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Bocam
    No Caption Provided

Coming soon to Persona 4 Arena Golden

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Phatmac

@Bocam said:

No Caption Provided

Either that's a perfect photoshop job or…

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By mutha3
    @Phatmac said:

@Bocam said:

No Caption Provided

Not quite! That's an edited Yu/Charlie.
    AlphaDormante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By AlphaDormante

I just found and watched a bunch of English Story Mode videos in a deep corner of the internet. I think the streamer covered just about every one, except for a large chunk of Yu's/Charlie's (which I was pretty sad about since his was the one I was most interested in).

Totally psyched now, guys. I can't even.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Bocam
    No Caption Provided
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Enjoyed the story, but I've seen some people that have mentioned some kind of important revelation that predates the modern Persona games that I seem to have missed, and I've gotten all of the story chapter trophies. Things I've found of note:

• Mitsuru Kirijo is member #1 of that Shadow group thing. Labrys is member #5. Akihiko's one of the group's founding members, even though he's said to be active in a part-time capacity, so I assume he's #2. Fuuka's not part of the group. #3 and #4 are people who are more "important" in the group than Aigis; probably people that we know of.
    • Someone contacted Labrys internally when she was captured after escaping the scientists, which is when she had a vision of Yasogami and the Investigation Team for the first time. First thing I thought of was "Philemon", and I'm not sure why because I'm not even sure who he is or what his role was in previous Persona games.
    • I'm not sure what Elizabeth was so stunned by when Narukami unlocked the power from his bonds. Might have just been Izanagi-no-Okami again.

And what's that about the unknown entity potentially being linked to Persona 2?

Also, I wonder if we actually will ever see the Persona 3 protagonist again. At least Liz's goal and reason for leaving the Velvet Room are totally detailed, now.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Phatmac

@FluxWaveZ said:

Enjoyed the story, but I've seen some people that have mentioned some kind of important revelation that predates the modern Persona games that I seem to have missed, and I've gotten all of the story chapter trophies. Things I've found of note:

• Mitsuru Kirijo is member #1 of that Shadow group thing. Labrys is member #5. Akihiko's one of the group's founding members, even though he's said to be active in a part-time capacity, so I assume he's #2. Fuuka's not part of the group. #3 and #4 are people who are more "important" in the group than Aigis; probably people that we know of.
    • Someone contacted Labrys internally when she was captured after escaping the scientists, which is when she had a vision of Yasogami and the Investigation Team for the first time. First thing I thought of was "Philemon", and I'm not sure why because I'm not even sure who he is or what his role was in previous Persona games.
    • I'm not sure what Elizabeth was so stunned by when Narukami unlocked the power from his bonds. Might have just been Izanagi-no-Okami again.

Also, I wonder if we actually will ever see the Persona 3 protagonist again. At least Liz's goal and reason for leaving the Velvet Room are totally detailed, now.

I think I get what Philemon is all about as his main goal was to recruit shadows from each of the people in the P4A tournament. I'd love for someone that played P2 and knows more about the entity to help explain it better. It seems clear that there'll be a game that helps resolve this issue with both P3 and P4 characters. My dream persona game seems realer than ever! Investigation team with the Shadow Op would be insane fan service.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:

I think they mention that Akihiko's standing in the group is "way lower" than MItsuru's. 

All these 3 separate things are closely related(well, your philemon guess is completely off-base!). Do you care if I spoil P1/2? I can explain all 3 of those things if you want.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@mutha3 said:

I think they mention that Akihiko's standing in the group is "way lower" than MItsuru's.

Really? I must have forgotten/missed that part.

@mutha3 said:

All these 3 separate things are closely related(well, your philemon guess is completely off-base!). Do you care if I spoil P1/2? I can explain all 3 of those things if you want.

Hm, thinking about it now, I actually do mind. Bought all of the portable Persona games during last month's Atlus sale, so I'll play them eventually and understand the connections people are talking about.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ: Cool. P1 is kind of a huge slog, though, even compared to P2 and the pay-off isn't that great. If you don't feel like playing it anymore, you can safely move on to the P2 series and it will fill in the blanks, eventually.
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Phatmac

@mutha3: Mind Pming me what you were going to tell Flux? I don't think I'll ever play P1 or P2.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#75  Edited By FLStyle

Has everything post-Labrys gaining her persona surfaced online yet? I've yet to see it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Wait... I think I was correct when I thought that the person who contacted Labrys was Philemon. What Labrys sees in the 2-2 classroom, learning about Yasogami High and the Investigation Team at the same time, is through the butterfly save point in that same classroom. It also sounded like Philemon from what I played of Persona 1, which is why I thought of him in the first place.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#77  Edited By Hailinel

@FluxWaveZ said:

Wait... I think I was correct when I thought that the person who contacted Labrys was Philemon. What Labrys sees in the 2-2 classroom, learning about Yasogami High and the Investigation Team at the same time, is through the butterfly save point in that same classroom. It also sounded like Philemon from what I played of Persona 1, which is why I thought of him in the first place.

The same voice actor portrays someone entirely different and far more sinister in Persona 2. Also, why would Philemon set Labrys up by imparting her with those memories? They were given to her so that her Shadow would draw the Investigation Team into the TV world with the fighting tournament.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Hailinel said:

The same voice actor portrays someone entirely different and far more sinister in Persona 2. Also, why would Philemon set Labrys up by imparting her with those memories? They were given to her so that her Shadow would draw the Investigation Team into the TV world with the fighting tournament.

Yeah, I guess it makes more sense if the same person who orchestrated everything is also the one who gave the information to Labrys. Someone had just made a comment to the contrary somewhere else and it got me thinking back on my previous assumption.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Bocam

@FluxWaveZ: It's not Philemon

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Hailinel

@mutha3 said:

@Phatmac said:

@Bocam said:

No Caption Provided

Not quite! That's an edited Yu/Charlie.

Also, snobbish is misspelled.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By FLStyle

So the general thought is that Nyarlathotep was behind this and he'll be the boss of Persona 5? And that his human accomplice is Mr. Edogawa?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Hailinel

@FLStyle: Not necessarily. While Nyarlathotep may turn out to be the Malevolent Entity, there are a couple of possible suspects for the Eerie Voice. Edogawa is one, assuming that truly is a younger Edogawa in Labrys's story mode, but I'd also argue that Officer Bowl Cut from Naoto and Mitsuru's storylines is another suspect, though a more remote one. But there's nothing that solidly pins either to being the identity of the Eerie Voice other than somehow gaining access to tech that allowed them to take control of Labrys.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By FLStyle

@Hailinel: I did think it was a bit weird to introduce that Public Security guy and then have no pay-off regarding him in the end.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Hailinel

@FLStyle said:

@Hailinel: I did think it was a bit weird to introduce that Public Security guy and then have no pay-off regarding him in the end.

I think he'll definitely have a role to play in Persona 5. From my view, they gave him too much screen time even in his limited role to simply be brushed aside. Whether or not he's the Eerie Voice, he's most likely going to show up in some capacity.

What I'm really curious about, however, is how they'll handle Igor in Persona 5. His Japanese voice actor died after voicing Persona 4, and what little lines he had in Persona 4 Arena were just recycled from P4. It makes me wonder if they're going to end up recasting the part for another actor or if they might be bold and write Igor out of the story somehow.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#85  Edited By eirikr

@Hailinel said:

It makes me wonder if they're going to end up recasting the part for another actor or if they might be bold and write Igor out of the story somehow.

That would be...a tragedy of the first degree.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Hailinel

@Eirikr said:

@Hailinel said:

It makes me wonder if they're going to end up recasting the part for another actor or if they might be bold and write Igor out of the story somehow.

I'm not saying it would be a good decision. Hopefully they can find a good match for his voice.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87  Edited By Animasta

@Eirikr said:

@Hailinel said:

fuck that bring back philemon

also I'm sure that Margaret has learned to fuse personae herself

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By eirikr

@Hailinel said:

I'm not saying it would be a good decision. Hopefully they can find a good match for his voice.

Agreed. I guess there is precedent for the removal of characters from a storyline once the Japanese voice actor passes (Liquid Snake?) but as someone who is more interested in Persona for its Jungian terminology (not to sound like an asshole, it's not like it's that deep or anything) and persona roster over its anime antics, I hope that idea isn't even on the table. I already really dislike how Elizabeth is now more than just an element of the mind with a dictionary of personality types. But she's like that for the same reason Boba Fett escaped the Sarlacc Pit: fans!

I think if it had a real focus on the human psyche and its projections (like the first game, only better), Persona would be by far the strongest and most meaningful implementation of mythology in the series. Maybe there's room for a spin-off of a spin-off.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Bocam

@Hailinel said:

@Eirikr said:

@Hailinel said:

They won't replace the actor. Japanese fans would get mad

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Hailinel

@Eirikr said:

@Hailinel said:

Agreed. I guess there is precedent for the removal of characters from a storyline once the Japanese voice actor passes (Liquid Snake?) but as someone who is more interested in Persona for its Jungian terminology (not to sound like an asshole, it's not like it's that deep or anything) and persona roster over its anime antics, I hope that idea isn't even on the table. I already really dislike how Elizabeth is now more than just an element of the mind with a dictionary of personality types. But she's like that for the same reason Boba Fett escaped the Sarlacc Pit: fans!

I think if it had a real focus on the human psyche and its projections (like the first game, only better), Persona would be by far the strongest and most meaningful implementation of mythology in the series. Maybe there's room for a spin-off of a spin-off.

Wait, if if... is a spin-off of SMT, and Persona is a spin-off of if..., then, wouldn't that make a spin-off of Persona a spin-off of a spin-off of a spin-off?

Man, the MegaTen family tree is crazy.

@Bocam said:

They won't replace the actor. Japanese fans would get mad

I guess I wouldn't be surprised by this, either.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By eirikr

@Hailinel said:

Wait, if if... is a spin-off of SMT, and Persona is a spin-off of if..., then, wouldn't that make a spin-off of Persona a spin-off of a spin-off of a spin-off?

I was curious about this, so I dug around. Though I guess it is a spin-off of some sort, Japanese sites don't necessarily classify it as such? I think? It's considered in the main series, just as a non-numbered entry, like Strange Journey or NINE.

And Japanese SMT fans are....well, let's just say that they're kind of embarrassing, not to mention any type of "entitled" fanbase doesn't really do anyone any good.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Bocam

@Eirikr said:

@Hailinel said:

I was curious about this, so I dug around. Though I guess it is a spin-off of some sort, Japanese sites don't necessarily classify it as such? I think? It's considered in the main series, just as a non-numbered entry, like Strange Journey or NINE.

And Japanese SMT fans are....well, let's just say that they're kind of embarrassing, not to mention any type of "entitled" fanbase doesn't really do anyone any good.

Persona is not part of SMT. It's its own thing.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By eirikr

@Bocam said:

Persona is not part of SMT. It's its own thing.

Well, it is part of Megami Tensei. Though I often just use "SMT" to refer to the whole series as, let's face it, Megami Tensei was two games that really don't have a whole lot of say anymore.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By FLStyle

@Eirikr said:

Agreed. I guess there is precedent for the removal of characters from a storyline once the Japanese voice actor passes (Liquid Snake?)

Yeah that comparison doesn't work, Liquid Snake's Japanese VA, Banjō Ginga, is alive and well. I believe you were thinking of Revolver Ocelot's Japanese VA, Kōji Totani, who died in 2006. So in the case of the Japanese release they had to use the Liquid VA to voice Liquid Ocelot (even though in the story it's revealed that Liquid's soul lost the ability to take over Ocelot before MGS4 when Ocelot got rid of Liquid's arm).

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By mutha3
    @Eirikr said:

@Hailinel said:

There's actually a very good chance that is going to happen.

I hate the fact that Japanese fans take VA so seriously, but there is definitely precedent for this. Characters frequently get retired when they can't get their VA back for whatever reason.

P4A definitely gives cause for worry. They pretty much gave all of Igor's lines to Margaret, didn't they? And they still slavishly use the original voice recordings from P4.

@Eirikr said:

And Japanese SMT fans are....well, let's just say that they're kind of embarrassing

Oooohhh, do tell.
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By eirikr

@FLStyle: Yep, it was Ocelot, not Liquid. I knew it was one of them. :p

@mutha3 said:

Oooohhh, do tell.

It's best left unsaid. But I will say that in my quest to fill Giant Bomb's coffers with quality SMT content, I've seen things I wish I hadn't. Predictable things. Over and over again. (and it's not just horrible porn, though that counts for a lot)

I actually haven't met any in person, and I kind of doubt I will!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Hailinel

@Eirikr said:

@mutha3 said:

Oooohhh, do tell.

It's best left unsaid. But I will say that in my quest to fill Giant Bomb's coffers with quality SMT content, I've seen things I wish I hadn't. Predictable things. Over and over again. (and it's not just horrible porn, though that counts for a lot)

That goes for a lot of fandoms, really. The most obsessive, embarrassing fans of anything do tend to congregate in odd corners of the internet.

And as for character retirement, the same sort of thing might be happening in Tekken. The voice of Heihachi died after Tekken 6, which is why Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Tekken 3D Prime Edition both feature "young" Heihachi on the roster. I have no idea what they plan to do for Tekken 7, though.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By mutha3
    @Hailinel said:

@Eirikr said:

@mutha3 said:

Oooohhh, do tell.

That goes for a lot of fandoms, really. The most obsessive, embarrassing fans of anything do tend to congregate in odd corners of the internet.

And as for character retirement, the same sort of thing might be happening in Tekken. The voice of Heihachi died after Tekken 6, which is why Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Tekken 3D Prime Edition both feature "young" Heihachi on the roster. I have no idea what they plan to do for Tekken 7, though.

Hm, that might be a solution for the igor dilemma:

Give 'im a toupee, call him "Bizzare faced young man" when he first appears, and we're set.
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By FLStyle

@mutha3 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Eirikr said:

@mutha3 said:

Oooohhh, do tell.

Hm, that might be a solution for the igor dilemma: Give 'im a toupee, call him "Bizzare faced young man" when he first appears, and we're set.

I'm with , Philemon's return would be perfect for P5 if the guesses about Nyarlathotep being the P4A/P5 main villain are correct.

PS. Never played P1 and P2, how do you pronounce Nyarlathotep?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Bocam

@FLStyle: The Japanese pronounce it ニャルラトホテプ Nya-ru-ra-to-ho-te-pu

or like this

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.