Dojima was considered as a playable character

#1 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19325 posts) -

Not sure if thread worthy, but it's rather funny:

Since the beginning of Persona 4 Arena's development, Atlus and Arc System Works have been keeping a list of which Persona 3 characters and Persona 4 characters to include in the game. Producer Toshimichi Mori revealed that Ryotaro Dojima was actually part of that list at some point even though he doesn't have a Persona.

Iguchiya joked he would have summoned Nanako instead, but Atlus would have chewed him out for saying that.

Source

Dojima would be so out of place with the current cast it would be hilarious. They should make a side game to Persona 4 Arena where crazy ideas like Morooka, Dojima and Hanako all fight together.

#2 Posted by DarkShaper (1325 posts) -

They should have left him in as the Dan equivalent.

#3 Posted by daftdethmonkey (45 posts) -

He could've summoned raper-face Adachi.

#4 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

He never actually throws a punch. He just chastises, insults, and guilt-trips.

#5 Edited by TruthTellah (8776 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: They should have had him as Charlie's instant kill. He just comes out and shoots the opponent. Player 1 Wins!

Or have him team up with Nanako as a tag-team character...

#6 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Would have loved for this to be true. Also wish Mysterious Fox was in it too.

#7 Posted by TruthTellah (8776 posts) -

@Red said:

Guilt trips, the most deadly weapon of all.

#8 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

@Red said:

Oh god. He is very good at that. I've never felt so terrified in my life after eating the frozen banana in the fridge...

#9 Posted by Hailinel (24392 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@Red said:

QCF + P - Baleful Glare

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (8776 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@TruthTellah said:

@Red said:

QCF + P - Baleful Glare

Back-Forward-Back-Forward + LP MP HP = Depressing One-on-One Conversation About How He is Failing as a Father and Misses His Dead Wife

#11 Posted by Zeik (2359 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Dojima would be so out of place with the current cast it would be hilarious.

I don't know what you're talking about. Give Dojima a Persona and put him on the roster and this would instantly be the most amazing game ever made.

#12 Posted by BisonHero (6433 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@Hailinel said:

@TruthTellah said:

@Red said:

QCF + P - Baleful Glare

Back-Forward-Back-Forward + LP MP HP = Depressing One-on-One Conversation About How He is Failing as a Father and Misses His Dead Wife

Oh god, I am laughing way too hard at this.

#14 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Would have loved for this to be true. Also wish Mysterious Fox was in it too.

What about Funky Student, who uses Mysterious Fox as his persona?!

#15 Posted by Beforet (2916 posts) -

You see, this is why fighting games need noncanon story/arcade modes. To do this kind of silly shit.

#16 Edited by Zeik (2359 posts) -

Nah, it's fun to joke about, but I'd be disappointed if he actually ended up in the game as a joke character. Dojima deserves better than that. I'd so much rather see him canonically gain a Persona and be a total badass.

#17 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

wtf

this is awesome:

Iguchiya joked he would have summoned Nanako instead, but Atlus would have chewed him out for saying that.

why didn't they 

fuckers.
#18 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4967 posts) -

@Zeik said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Dojima would be so out of place with the current cast it would be hilarious.

I don't know what you're talking about. Give Dojima a Persona and put him on the roster and this would instantly be the most amazing game ever made.

Yeah, just give him Kohryu.

But if you think about it, he's holding his jacket with one hand, so that's a little handicap. On the other hand (sorry, that was not intended), he can poke his burninng cigarette in his opponents eye with the other.

#19 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

That would have been so awesome with Dojima

#20 Posted by Pie (7078 posts) -

Wouldn't just about all main characters of been considered at one point?

Dojima would be pretty cool anyway

#21 Posted by TobbRobb (4596 posts) -

I really want Dojima now. He's too awesome not to be in it!

#22 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
That would have been so badass.
#23 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

Adding Dojima would've been very funny. I also thought of him and Nanako either summoning Kohryu or gunning down the opponent as an Insta-Kill. XD

#24 Posted by Maystack (904 posts) -

I read that as 'Dojima was announced...', and got so goddamned excited. Now I'm disappointed...

#25 Posted by eternitymemory (153 posts) -

I've would have had to buy this game if Dojima had been put in the roster. Now I'm just super bummed out that they canned such an awesome idea.

#26 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Well the only other Persona user character was Adachi with his weird Psycho Izanagi so just put him in a prison outfit with the cuffs on and saying his constantly bored... or he can just a gun.

#27 Posted by Hailinel (24392 posts) -

Guys.

Zombie Takaya.

#28 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1568 posts) -

I always envisioned Dojima just summoning a cop car or something.

#29 Posted by The_Patriarch (277 posts) -

Yakuza 5 should be the story of how a young Dojima got into the Yakuza, only to turn his back on it to become a cop and an awkward father. I'd buy the hell out of that game.

#30 Posted by JackSukeru (5909 posts) -

Instead they'll put Nanako in and have her summon Dojima.

"DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!"

#31 Posted by c_rakestraw (844 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Guys.

Zombie Takaya.

I would buy this game day one if this were to happen. Totally would make up for the lack of Dojima.

#32 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

i want dojima and nanako in the game!

#33 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Neglect, the strongest power of them all!

#34 Posted by Landon (4137 posts) -

They should have just thrown him in there as a new game+ character. That would have been awesome.

#35 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Screw Dojima, give me Adachi.

#36 Posted by MikeFightNight (1109 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@FluxWaveZ: They should have had him as Charlie's instant kill. He just comes out and shoots the opponent. Player 1 Wins!

Hahahah, awesome picture.

#37 Posted by AxleStukov (114 posts) -

So.... from the current fiasco about the P4anime

-------------

This is where things get even more confusing: Karen Strassman, the actress who voiced Nanako Dojima in the PS2 game, said that she's already resumed Persona voicework - for Persona 4: Arena.

"[I've] been recording hours of lines for Aigis and Nanako all through the month of March, and [I'm headed] back in the studio to record more on Tuesday!" she said. "I'm so wonderfully happy to be finding these characters again. I think people are really going to love this one!"

UPDATE: I just got the following email from Nanako's VA Karen Strassman:

Oh geez, I goofed. I've been recording ARENA. I know absolutely nothing about the "ANIMATION." Sorry, didn't read ur email closely enough. Haven't heard a peep from Sentai about any of this either. Wow, very weird. -karen.

------------

She's done lines for Nanako for Arena?

Dojima with Nanako assistant confirmed for consoles.

#38 Posted by BlackLagoon (1406 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Dojima would be so out of place with the current cast it would be hilarious. They should make a side game to Persona 4 Arena where crazy ideas like Morooka, Dojima and Hanako all fight together.

Zombie Morooka, who continues to affect the plot even after he's been defeated.

#39 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19325 posts) -

@AxleStukov said:

Dojima with Nanako assistant confirmed for consoles.

Haha, but I bet it's really just Story Mode stuff. Still, I was thinking the whole game would take place in the Midnight Channel so I wonder if she'll have any significant role.

#40 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Maybe she was just doing Aigis lines in Nanako's voice, totally convinced they were supposed to be Nanako's lines. :P

#41 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Who needs a persona when you have your fists? And a gun. AND FISTS

#42 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

The Persona he'd summon would be bullets inside of skulls. It's of the Lovers arcana.

#43 Posted by ch3burashka (5040 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

After all, why have a Persona when you can have... a gun?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.