GB P4A Tournament Discussion Thread

• 197 results
#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -
#2 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

You might want to work on correcting some of those times, those can't all possibly be right. 4AM start time on day 3? 20 hour timeframe on Day 1? I'm assuming it's just AM/PM issues but still...

#3 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@davidwitten22 said:

You might want to work on correcting some of those times, those can't all possibly be right. 4AM start time on day 3? 20 hour timeframe on Day 1? I'm assuming it's just AM/PM issues but still...

Wait, what's wrong with them? I don't expect players to be playing their matches at 4 AM, but that's just indicated to show that they can if they want. The hard limit for Round 5 on Day 3 is 6:00 PM, but they can have their matches for that round anytime they want. Is it not clear enough?

And yeah, that's the time frame for day 1 because there are a ton of matches to be done on that day and it's to accommodate as many people as possible.

#4 Edited by Bocam (3719 posts) -

Welp I'm signed up, but I spent most of my time playing Blazblue instead of P4A. My PSN ID is Feathereddrip

#5 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@davidwitten22 said:

Wait, what's wrong with them? I don't expect players to be playing their matches at 4 AM, but that's just indicated to show that they can if they want. The hard limit for Round 5 on Day 3 is 6:00 PM, but they can have their matches for that round anytime they want. Is it not clear enough?

And yeah, that's the time frame for day 1 because there are a ton of matches to be done on that day and it's to accommodate as many people as possible.

Oh ok I see, I was unaware of exactly what the times meant but that makes more sense. That's probably good for people like me who aren't available during that whole time window.

#6 Posted by DonChipotle (2725 posts) -

Welp, all signed up. Let's have a fun time, duders.

#7 Posted by dogman795 (109 posts) -

Signed up! Hopefully all this practice doesn't go to waist.

#8 Edited by YI_Orange (1142 posts) -

Signed up, ready to get my face smashed in. I'm working HARD on my Yosuke game though. I should really practice some backups too though. The invitation to Spar remains open. I'm YI-Orange on PSN. My favored at the moment are Main: Yosuke. Backups: Chie, Yu. Thinking of getting Yukiko in there for one of them though.

#9 Edited by IrrelevantJohn (1062 posts) -

Signed up and you free now for sparring?

Edit: by the way i'm xLLeg3ndX

#10 Posted by TheOtherBelmont (28 posts) -

I'm all signed up now as well. Good luck to everyone!

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

All singed up! Feel free to spar with me on PSN: BlazeLuminos is the name!

#12 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

Alright, all signed and ready for action.

#13 Posted by Bocam (3719 posts) -

There's a Giant Bomb room if anyone wants to practice on the PS3

#14 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

O god I really need more time to practice! Im fucked.

#15 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I am going to get molested!

#16 Posted by FLStyle (4665 posts) -

Checking out the stream page, looks good.

#17 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Nice stream! I'll be sure to join soon. Also is kicking some serious ass!

#18 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

Man, Nanako's a hilarious announcer.

#19 Edited by Bocam (3719 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Man, Nanako's a hilarious announcer.

She's worth the 3 bucks, because fuck Score Attack

#20 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Sorry to that Chie player I fought against! In the second and third rounds I was overcome with lag so I just spammed Guillotine Axe! :O

#21 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

PERSONA IS ON TNT!!!

#22 Posted by DonChipotle (2725 posts) -

Damn, FluxWave, you ruthless!

#23 Posted by YI_Orange (1142 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Looks like you and are gonna be the ones to beat so far. Fuckin' Akihikos. Also, how the HELL do you fight your style of Yukiko?

I had a poor showing, dropped a lot of flips and forgot to make use of my Persona. I'll call it an advantage though.

#24 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2052 posts) -

In shocking news I am announcing my dropping out from this due to having work during the time this will be taking place an personal reasons. I wish everyone else the best of luck.

#25 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Anyone wanna make a lobby?

#26 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

Also, how the HELL do you fight your style of Yukiko?

I guess it's about Persona breaking her and blocking Konohana-Sakuya mixups.

@InfiniteGeass: That's unfortunate. Hopefully you'll be able to participate in future tournaments.

#27 Posted by FLStyle (4665 posts) -

I'm looking forward to the tourneys now that I've seen a bit on TNT tonight.

#28 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

Signed up just now. Time to break out the claws!

#29 Posted by endaround (2142 posts) -

Still do not have the game. It might show up tomorrow.

#30 Posted by johnsonic7 (76 posts) -

@scarace360 said:

O god I really need more time to practice! Im fucked.

I feel the same way. Gonna practice a bit more tonight and hope everything starts feeling more natural. Playing Yukiko, by the way.

#31 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

The favorites in my eyes are Flux_WaveZ, BlazeLuminos, RuriKidA, TheFakePsychi and IxGunMonkeyxI if they all participate.

We'll see how far my fans get me.

#32 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

I don't know how I won 7 times in a row.. I usually never win anything.

#33 Posted by DonChipotle (2725 posts) -

I think I am going to go with Labrys instead of Mitsuru for the tourey. I'm doing 'better' with her

#34 Edited by Vashyron (199 posts) -

@davidwitten22: Hey, just letting you guys know that I ended up dropping in the middle of that match. My cousins are in town for the day and one of them is sharing a bed with me and he ended up getting sick all over it, so I had to deal with that mess.

#35 Edited by InfiniteSpark (306 posts) -

@davidwitten22: I wish I could participate tomorrow, but have to go to work. I've only been hacking away with Chie for the most part. Thanks for the compliment, I'm sure you'll do great tomorrow!

[I'm RuriKidA by the way.]

#36 Posted by gravitypenguin (64 posts) -

I am so hype for this. I need practice... and sleep... but I can't have both :(

#37 Edited by Servantey (19 posts) -

@gravitypenguin: Nonsense.Play with one eye closed and a controller at hand.

#38 Posted by gravitypenguin (64 posts) -

Got a stream testing room going "gb stream test!" also twitch.tv/gravitypenguin

#39 Posted by Jay_Ray (1078 posts) -

Good luck everyone, I know I will need it.

#40 Posted by YI_Orange (1142 posts) -

This game doesn't have any character select masking does it? I'm asking because I'm wondering about measures to prevent first round counter-picking, unless that's cool. I don't know what's acceptable in the fighting game community, but that just seems kind of dirty to me. I mean, I like to believe that most everyone participating in this tournament is going to go with the same first round selection regardless, but the paranoid person in me is kind of worried.

#41 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@YI_Orange: There's no character masking in player matches. I suppose as a countermeasure, I could have required each person choose a main character to choose in their first matches, but I think that would have done more harm than good. I don't think it should be too much of an issue at this point, since people are still learning and changing characters for the sake of counter-picking would just make them worse. Might be a thing to consider for future tournaments, though.

#42 Posted by gravitypenguin (64 posts) -

Aaand done test streaming. Seems like things were working well enough.

#43 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3071 posts) -

So, I'm assuming we'll get the brackets up sometime tomorrow morning, and then how are the actual matches handled? Do we message whoever our opponent is, settle things, and report back, or will there be some kind of room/lobby for the tournament itself?

#44 Posted by _Soki_ (101 posts) -

Sweet I'm going to watch your stream of it while I'm at work. lol

#45 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Im gonna have to with draw. Sorry I have to go paint moldings tomorrow.

#46 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad said:

So, I'm assuming we'll get the brackets up sometime tomorrow morning, and then how are the actual matches handled? Do we message whoever our opponent is, settle things, and report back, or will there be some kind of room/lobby for the tournament itself?

This should be an effective way of communication: "For ease of communication, I suggest tourney players go on http://giantbombing.com/chat/ and put in the channel "#GB_P4A". Like that, tourney players will be able to organize matches. If not, you can always PM your opponents or just post in this thread since that's what it's meant for.

Once matches are done, either put the results yourself in Challonge (preferable), or you can contact me and I'll put them myself.

Brackets will be posted when the tournament starts and people are done signing up, so in about one hour and 30 minutes.

@scarace360: Sorry to hear that; hopefully you'll be able to participate in a future tournament.

#47 Posted by Brodehouse (9876 posts) -

I better not play you, Flux, because I fucking hate fighting Akihiko. Online it's Akihiko for days!

As far as I can tell, Mitsuru's C is a good move for stopping his little bob-and-weave rush. But I can't get out of it very fast, so sometimes I get hit off the wake up. Is there a way to block or hit Akihiko out of his downward meteor rush move? How do I punish that properly? I've been trying a super jump straight up into air B and then an instant combo, but sometimes he recovers.

#48 Posted by DonChipotle (2725 posts) -

Just for clarification, we have until the end of the specified time to get our match(es) done right?

#49 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@DonChipotle said:

Just for clarification, we have until the end of the specified time to get our match(es) done right?

Yes, precisely. Matches can be done in those rounds any time before that time limit, however they can't once that limit is passed.

#50 Posted by gravitypenguin (64 posts) -

Hey guys.

Just a heads up that I won't be available today before 12pm PST (3PM EST). As soon as I get home I'll try and get my stream up and matches going.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.