GB Persona 4 Arena Tournament #3 (PS3)

• 70 results
#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

Follow-up to tournament #2, since Giant Bomb community P4A tournaments seem like they're going to be a monthly thing, I thought I might as well post a notice for the next one. I'm thinking that this will take place on the weekend of October 6-7. Tournament's only open to PS3 players.

Past Tournament Champions

Rules:

• The tournament will be played in a double elimination format, so players will need to lose a match twice to be eliminated.
  • Matches will be best 2 out of 3 rounds for 99 seconds each round. Winner will be best 2 out of 3 matches.
  • Semi-finals (Losers and Winners bracket) and grand finals will be best 2 out of 3 rounds for 99 seconds each round. Winner will be best 3 out of 5 matches.
  • A player that loses a match is allowed to switch characters, however a player who wins must choose the same character as his previous match.
  • If a player drops during a round, it is up to the opponent to decide if he agrees to do a rematch or not.
  • Saving a replay of your matches is recommended, because if there is a dispute between two players as to who actually won and no one provides proof, I'll have to disqualify both of the players for the sake of fairness.

How to sign up

PSN ID:

Sign-ups will be on Challonge like last time. This is to prevent people who say they'll be participating in the tourney but don't show up. You'll need a Challonge account to do this, so sign up for one here if you don't have one. Try to name your Challonge account as closely as you can to your GB username to avoid confusion.

Reason I'm requiring Challonge accounts is because players will be able to report the results of their matches themselves instead of having to constantly update the brackets myself.

When

Tournament starts on Saturday, October 6th and ends on Sunday, October 7th. The tournament should start at 12:00 PM EDT like the previous times.

Official Challonge sign-ups will be open on October 5th from 5:00 PM EDT / 2:00 PM PDT to October 6th, 12:00 PM EDT / 9:00 AM PDT. So players should arrive and sign up on the page before the limit or else they won't be included in the bracket and won't be able to participate in the tournament. Signing up doesn't take long to do at all, so this shouldn't be a problem.

I'll post the sign-up page on September 15th and the bracket will be posted after the sign-up page is closed.

The following times are when rounds should be finished by:

Phase 1 (Starts on October 6)

Round 1: .....................W: 10:00 PM EDT / 7:00 PM PDT

...................................L: 11:00 PM EDT / 8:00 PM PDT

Round 2: .....................W: 11:00 PM EDT / 8:00 PM PDT

...................................L: 6:00 PM EDT / 3:00 PM PDT (October 7)

Phase 2 (Starts on October 7)

Round 3: .....................W: 5:00 PM EDT / 2:00 PM PDT

...................................L: 6:00 PM EDT / 3:00 PM PDT

Round 4: .....................W: 6:00 PM EDT / 3:00 PM PDT

....................................L: 7:00 PM EDT / 4:00 PM PDT

Semi-Finals: ......................W: 7:00 PM EDT / 4:00 PM PDT

....................................L: 8:00 PM EDT / 5:00 PM PDT

Grand Finals: ............................. 9:00 PM EDT / 6:00 PM PDT

Prizes

First Place

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (Steam) (thanks to TwilitEnd656)

Second Place

Renegade Ops (thanks to IrrelevantJohn)

Third Place

Humble Indie Bundle 6 (thanks to IrrelevantJohn)

Entrants

UsernamePSN ID
FluxWaveZFluxWaveZ
Commisar123Commisar123
BrodehouseBrodehouse
ServanteyJGALM14
gravitypenguingravitypenguin
SeriousSam0wiimotechance
LiquidusLiquidRob
arkkkkkkkyuutsushounen
InfiniteSparkRuriKidA
YI_OrangeYI-Orange
IrrelevantJohnxLLeg3ndX
ESREVERMaceX
DiscoVikingDisko_Viking
aznjon12aznjon09
Hadoken101Hado725
Apathyladapathylad1
_Soki_IxGunMonkeyxI
TheFakePsychicTheFakePsychic
TwilitEnd656Solaris1493
PhatmacBlazeluminos
XomeroXomero
lead_farmerlead_farmer11
solidoutlawrayplay
MDYuxxnickixx
TheSeltsamOneTheSeltsamOne
C_Rakestrawc_rake
Grim_2_Grim-2-
Bloo561Bloo561
MessenkoInfernoDrive

Archive

I'm thinking that a modification I should make to the bracket of this tournament is giving byes to those who have demonstrated that they're above average in terms of skill in the previous tournaments (if that's even an option on Challonge), from @DolphinButter's suggestion. Do you guys think this is an idea worth pursuing?

So based on peoples' response, I will give byes to top players in the bracket.

discussion thread http://giantbombing.com/chat/ and put the channel "#GB_P4A". There'll probably be casuals going on in that chat leading up to the tournament, too.

Also, if you're interested, there's this concurrent Persona 4 Arena 2v2 tournament that you should sign up for.

#2 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

I'm in

PSN ID Commisar123

#3 Posted by Brodehouse (10105 posts) -

You know it!

And yeah, I think we're starting to have tiers among us showing up. You, yuut and jon don't need to crush some poor beginners in the early rounds. Save that for us intermediates. And then you crush us.

Maybe take the winning percentage of entrants from the first two tournaments? Like I'm 1-2 and 3-2, so 50%. Jon is like 11-2 so there's that. New guys have to start at 0%.

#4 Posted by Servantey (20 posts) -

Well then of course I'm in. PSN JGALM14

#5 Posted by gravitypenguin (77 posts) -

I'll be making the thread for the concurent 2v2 team tourny later today in case anyone is wondering about that.

Also I'm in, gravitypenguin as always.

#6 Posted by Dan_Persona (58 posts) -

PSN ID: wiimotechance

#7 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

Yep, I'm down for this. Hopefully, I'll be able to sharpen up my skills before the next tournament and not let Borderlands 2 take up all my time.

#8 Posted by arkkkkkkk (32 posts) -

I'm in.... again....

PSN ID: yuutsushounen

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Posted by InfiniteSpark (314 posts) -

I'm in, probably not going to advance far but I've give it a shot. I also have no problem with the suggestion to give those who were very successful in previous tournaments a first-round bye. They deserve it. PSN ID: RuriKidA

#10 Posted by YI_Orange (1169 posts) -

Fiiiiine. Between college, Borderlands 2, Starcraft 2 and random time wasting bullshit I need to find time to practice. I'm in.

PSN: YI-Orange

I'm also fine with giving the better players free passes to let us baddies get some more matches in.

#11 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1086 posts) -

I'm in as well... unless I get hired in the next week or 2 for a job.

PSN: xLLeg3ndX

Also I can stream the whole thing again and capture everyones proud and terrible moments. Hopefully the finals are going to be epic again.

#12 Posted by ESREVER (2703 posts) -

Sign me up!

PSNid: MaceX

you better get in on this one

#13 Posted by DarkShaper (1346 posts) -

I just HAD to start taking classes on Saturdays. 

#14 Posted by Jesna (91 posts) -

Yo! I'd like to try!

PSN: Disko_Viking

Be forewarned, I'm pretty terrible.

#15 Posted by aznjon12 (189 posts) -

I guess it's time for the Mitsuru runback.

PSN:aznjon09

#16 Edited by Hadoken101 (844 posts) -

I'm in again. Gotta figure out some anti-mitsuru tech before then :/

PSN:Hado725

Edit: I think it's a good idea to give the better players first round byes

#17 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

@ESREVER said:

Sign me up!

PSNid: MaceX

you better get in on this one

Blarg. Okay. Remind me again when it's coming up.

PSN: apathylad1

#18 Posted by YI_Orange (1169 posts) -

WASN'T ONE OF THEM THOUGH

@Hadoken101: Complain about it to whoever will listen until she gets nerfed. Otherwise, mash buttons, cry, and hope you win. That's my tactic.

#19 Posted by Brodehouse (10105 posts) -

I'm basically the only one who mains Mitsuru anyways, and I've been trying to learn Teddie because I feel bad when everyone hates me :(

#20 Posted by Hadoken101 (844 posts) -

@YI_Orange: You're right, I should focus on learning to crush Yosuke. And I better fight you at some point in the tourney! I'm still salty about getting sent to losers because you Furious dodged my God Hand.

#21 Posted by YI_Orange (1169 posts) -

@Hadoken101: Whatever, I'll just mirage slash that shit!

#22 Posted by gravitypenguin (77 posts) -
#23 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

WASN'T ONE OF THEM THOUGH

@Hadoken101: Complain about it to whoever will listen until she gets nerfed. Otherwise, mash buttons, cry, and hope you win. That's my tactic.

I did! But then I realized this is for PS3 :(. Thanks anyway.

#24 Posted by _Soki_ (101 posts) -

I'll join and try not too miss my match this time.

PSN: IxGunMonkeyxI

#25 Posted by TheFakePsychic (200 posts) -

I'm in it to stream it.

PSN: TheFakePsychic

#26 Edited by Hadoken101 (844 posts) -

@TheFakePsychic: You figured out the school issues?

Edit: And if you're in the tourney, who will post completely inappropriate fanfic quotes in the IRC?

#27 Edited by TheFakePsychic (200 posts) -

@Hadoken101: Yep, school issues have been taken care of.

And who says I won't be posting inappropriate fanfic quotes in the IRC? Or perhaps... doing something better with the fanfics.

#28 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Whoo, actually heard of this one. Won't miss out this time. (~ o3o)~

PSN: Solaris1493

Also, I'll see if I can't get a prize up for this. Should be pretty likely; I'll know for sure by tomorrow.

#29 Edited by IrrelevantJohn (1086 posts) -

I have an extra gift for the Humble Indie Bundle 6 that can be used as a prize for 1st place.

EDIT: I'll also add in a copy of Renegade Ops for Steam.

#30 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I'm ready to lose again, I guess.

PSN: Blazeluminos

#31 Posted by Xomero (63 posts) -

I'll get in on this.

PSN ID: Xomero

#32 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

I'd like to say that I'm really proud of you guys and how active our community is concerning Persona 4 Arena. After seeing that the most recent NeoGAF tournament only has 6 people participating; that Mayonaka Midnight, the big fansite for P4A, had 4 people and 13 people, respectively, for the 360 tournament and PS3 tournament back in August; and that there were 15 people in the local tournament I went to today, I'm pretty happy about the participation in our monthly P4A tournaments.

Wouldn't be surprised if we've had the biggest Persona 4 Arena online tournaments so far.

#33 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

I'd like to say that I'm really proud of you guys and how active our community is concerning Persona 4 Arena. After seeing that the most recent NeoGAF tournament only has 6 people participating; that Mayonaka Midnight, the big fansite for P4A, had 4 people and 13 people, respectively, for the 360 tournament and PS3 tournament back in August; and that there were 15 people in the local tournament I went to today, I'm pretty happy about the participation in our monthly P4A tournaments.

Wouldn't be surprised if we've had the biggest Persona 4 Arena online tournaments so far.

Did you expect anything less from the community of a site where there's a Persona 4 Endurance Ran? :P

#34 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -

PSN: lead_farmer11

I'm awful, but Chie understands

#35 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

@Liquidus said:

Did you expect anything less from the community of a site where there's a Persona 4 Endurance Ran? :P

Guess not, heh. Still, I'm surprised we have more activity than the site entirely dedicated to Persona 4 Arena.

#36 Posted by solidoutlaw (3 posts) -

I'd like to enter. My PSN is rayplay

#37 Edited by MDYu (37 posts) -

I'm so in. Gonna do better this time.

PSN ID: xxnickixx

EDIT: More like going for the win :p

#38 Posted by YI_Orange (1169 posts) -

There ever any lobbies or anything set up? I really need to be pulled away from BL2 so I can practice.

#39 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

@YI_Orange: Yeah, people hang out in the chat to play some games. I know there were a few guys yesterday night having some games.

#40 Posted by Brodehouse (10105 posts) -
@YI_Orange Teah, last week or so me, TFP, Serv, Sparks have been doing 1v1 spare and 3 person rooms, organizing from the chat. I personally like to keep it low just so there's less waiting between matches, you learn some from watching but more from playing.

If I made a fighting game, I would specifically develop code so that a room is really like a room full of fighters rather than people crowding around a single machine. If there's 8 people in a room, anyone available should be able to grab anyone else available and start a match. And people should be able to spectate in ongoing matches, or find someone else available to fight. If this still isn't a thing by the next gen I will be disappoint.
#41 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Alright, I'll be able to put up Dark Souls off Steam up as a prize. Just tell me what needs doin'.

#42 Posted by TheSeltsamOne (3 posts) -

Gotta stay in practice for the second wave of new players come Christmas.

MASHEY CHIE GOOOOO

PSN: TheSeltsamOne

#43 Posted by c_rakestraw (854 posts) -

Count me in.

PSN ID: c_rake

#44 Posted by Grim_2_ (50 posts) -

You can sign me in as well FluxWaveZ.

PSN: Grim-2-

#45 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1086 posts) -

I don't think I'll be able to participate in the tourny this time :(. Good luck to everyone else and I hope I'll be able to watch this after it ends.

#46 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

@IrrelevantJohn: That's really unfortunate. I see that it seems that you're bowing out of the Team Tournament as well. Hopefully you'll be able to next month, or whenever else there's a next tourney.

Your Youtube archive of the matches was really nice, so that's extra unfortunate.

#47 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1086 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Yeah maybe next time. I'm currently doing a job trial right now so it's basically taking up my time for the next 2 weeks. I get off at 7pm EST but that's way too late.

#48 Edited by Bloo561 (113 posts) -

YEAH BUDDY I'M and what a way too PSN: Bloo561 and I'll live steam this one too

#49 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Just days away; haven't played Arena for a long time. Friggin' Dark Souls, all distracting me.

#50 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1086 posts) -

NVM I'm back in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.