Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

Persona 4 Arena is an Arc System Works-developed fighting game with an Atlus-developed story mode that serves as the official sequel to both Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Giant Bomb Persona 4 Arena Tournament (PS3)

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#201  Edited By Phatmac

@Brodehouse said:

@Phatmac

You guys are forgetting that TNT's are mostly on the 360. Jeff also has a copy of Persona 4 Arena on the 360 first so it's safe to assume that TNT will only be on there.

I did not forget at all, I was assuming if we got any play at all on the PS3 it would be the last 30 minutes at best. But Flux brings up a good point, they might not play with us at all.

I doubt they'll try the PS3 version unless the netcode makes it unplayable.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#202  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@FLStyle: @ck1nd: I believe @MikeFightNight has plans to stream the PS3 tournament and @Mesoian plans to record some Xbox 360 matches. Not all games will be streamed/recorded, however, but it should be pretty good.

gravitypenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#203  Edited By gravitypenguin

@FluxWaveZ said:

@gravitypenguin said:

Would it be possible to have Round 1 Winners last to later on Friday? I assume I'm not the only person with work and that's also going to be the round with the most people so I think some flexibility would be nice. I'll try to leave early if I have to though.

I could maybe increase the Round 1 W to 10:00 PM, but I think that should be the max. Losers for round 1 count on the round 1 winners to have completed their matches and I don't want the losers to be playing too late on Friday. They technically have a lot of time, but most of it is pretty late at night/early in the morning.

@gravitypenguin said:

Also just to check it looks like you're budgeting for 7 rounds right now which would support a max bracket size of 64. We do have more sign-ups than that so are we potentially in a first come first serve situation?

No, I've made these durations according to 70 people signing up for the tournament and noted the number of matches accordingly in the notes. It's not a first-come, first-served scenario at all and any number of people will be able to join provided they sign up on the Challonge page when it's up.

10 would give more leeway which is good. I understand your concern with having more time for the losers bracket too. Just sucks to be PST in cases like these :)

Anyway my bracket math was based on a double elim-bracket like this (70 person in this screencap):

No Caption Provided

With the finals itself that's eight rounds unless I'm looking at it wrong. I'll defer to you on this though since I don't know the first thing about running tournaments.

On an unrelated note I may or may not try my hand at being another streaming/recording source for this. I've been meaning to get a HD PVR for a long time now since I did some Lets Play stuff of varying quality back in the day and this seems like as good an opportunity as any.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#204  Edited By FLStyle

@FluxWaveZ: Awesome, I'll check it out.

@Phatmac: I would've thought they'd want to play it safe and avoid the 360 version, no concrete proof that the 360 issues are present in the USA until Tuesday though I guess.

crunchmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#205  Edited By crunchmonkey

Can I get in on this?

Username: crunchmonkey

PSN ID: crunchmonkey

Region (matchmaking purposes in case of lag or whatever): Nova Scotia, Canada

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@FLStyle said:

@Phatmac: I would've thought they'd want to play it safe and avoid the 360 version, no concrete proof that the 360 issues are present in the USA until Tuesday though I guess.

People have been receiving early copies from stores breaking the street date in North America and they've been complaining about Xbox 360 issues.

@gravitypenguin said:

No Caption Provided

Anyway my bracket math was based on a double elim-bracket like this (70 person in this screencap):

With the finals itself that's eight rounds unless I'm looking at it wrong. I'll defer to you on this though since I don't know the first thing about running tournaments.

You're looking at it wrong or maybe we're referring to two different things. 1 column =! 1 round for me because the number of participants isn't a power of 2, so the first column doesn't count as a round by itself. So just looking at the winners bracket of your screencap: column 1 + 2 = round 1; column 3 = round 2; column 4 = round 3, column 5 = round 4; column 6 = round 5; column 7 = Semi-finals and column 8 + 9 = finals. So 7 rounds in all.

@gravitypenguin said:

On an unrelated note I may or may not try my hand at being another streaming/recording source for this. I've been meaning to get a HD PVR for a long time now since I did some Lets Play stuff of varying quality back in the day and this seems like as good an opportunity as any.

Cool. Not too sure how that stuff works yet, so I'll leave it up to the guys recording the matches to figure it out. I know the game lobbies allow for spectators, so you'd need to organize with players so that you could enter their lobby and record/stream their matches.

It could maybe be neat to coordinate with @MikeFightNight to maximize the amount of matches streamed/recorded, but that may be a bit much. Anything is better than nothing, in any case.

gravitypenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By gravitypenguin

@FluxWaveZ said:

You're looking at it wrong or maybe we're referring to two different things. 1 column =! 1 round for me because the number of participants isn't a power of 2, so the first column doesn't count as a round by itself. So just looking at the winners bracket of your screencap: column 1 + 2 = round 1; column 3 = round 2; column 4 = round 3, column 5 = round 4; column 6 = round 5; column 7 = Semi-finals and column 8 + 9 = finals. So 7 rounds in all.

That'd be it reason. I was looking at the first two columns in winners as separate rounds, but if they both fall in under round 1 then everything works out. Plus I'm pretty sure that works out for up to 128 people so we're pretty much covered then :)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@gravitypenguin: Actually, I think I should go by how you were first describing it, and by that I mean with 8 rounds. Because a lot of column 2 matches depend on the people playing in the first column to be done, I'll separate them into different rounds to avoid complications.

A bit complicated, heh. Never organized a tournament before and I wasn't expecting this many people. Anyways, I'll revise the notes.

The new Round 1 Losers is a bit weird because those matches count on Round 2 Winners to have done their matches. That shouldn't be too much of a problem, though, especially if people don't wait until the last minute to do their matches.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The work and effort is appreciated!

Also, count on at least a 10% (probably closer to 20%) drop rate by the tourney start. I think a lot of people are going to ignore the Challonge signup process and miss out, then you add people who entered and forgot about it or people who've changed their minds about the game.

Maybe closer to the start (Wednesday, Thursday) send out a mass reply to all the names, remind them of the process and times.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Brodehouse: Yeah, that's exactly my plan and exactly what I've been thinking. There's no way actually 70 people will show up to the tournament because of what you've stated, but I've still been planning around that number as a precaution. I'll be sending a PM reminder to all of the entrants on Thursday reminding them of when the Challonge page will be open and of the process to actually sign up.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Phatmac

This is gonna be the best tourney ever!

SaberSaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#212  Edited By SaberSaurus

Is this still open? I'd love to try out.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@SaberSaurus: Yes, it's still open.

SaberSaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By SaberSaurus

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SaberSaurus: Yes, it's still open.

Awesome! I looks forward to this >:)

-PSN ID: XDeath90

Houston, TX

[Edit] Challonge Username: XDeath90

Avatar image for theotherbelmont
    theotherbelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#215  Edited By theotherbelmont

Would it be possible to open up the Challonge signups on Thursday, August 9th? I'm hoping to have some time to be able to work out something with my opponent to where I could play a late night match on Friday the 10th (like after 1AM Central Time) for the hope of playing with another night owl like myself and because I work late on that Friday. If its not possible to do this, I understand, but it would be greatly appreciated.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@TheOtherBelmont said:

Would it be possible to open up the Challonge signups on Thursday, August 9th?

I already am.

Avatar image for theotherbelmont
    theotherbelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By theotherbelmont

@FluxWaveZ: Sorry, totally misread that as the 10th for the sign up date. I'm an idiot.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@TheOtherBelmont: It was the 10th before, but I think I changed that either yesterday or the day before. No worries.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Aetheldod

@FluxWaveZ: By the way you know if the game will have a replay option like Blazblue ... I wanna help to record at least the fights im in , altho I do not have an HD setup , but rather a standard resolution cam corder :/ but I think I could tape my gameplay , not 100% sure but I wish to help out in this small way

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Aetheldod: I don't know the specifics, but I do know P4A has replay functionality. You sure you would want to record your matches with the quality of an SD camcorder, though?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Aetheldod

@FluxWaveZ: Unfortunately I dont have any HD recorder :/ (nor a smart phone for that matter) so it the best thing I have available at the moment altho Im not 100% sure if I can do it at all duder , wanna try out when I get the game so I can tell you if I can really do it .... but man I really wish to

Bloo561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Bloo561

if you need another person to record the ps3 i can help. I have a dazzle capture device so I can easily.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Bloo561 said:

if you need another person to record the ps3 i can help. I have a dazzle capture device so I can easily.

Sure. @gravitypenguin might record/stream so matches, I think @MikeFightNight is going to stream some and you could record matches too. It'd obviously be best if you guys didn't end up recording the same matches, though.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Aetheldod

@FluxWaveZ: Hello duder ... unfortunately I could only get the xbox 360 version ... they sold out on PS3 copies and they are not restoking :/ so cancel me from the PS3 tournament but I will go to the Xbox360 thread to leave my data there (if it is still going ... will try to test out the netcode on 360 if you want to see if it really is bad at all)

scandallas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#225  Edited By scandallas

I'm in.

PSN ID: scandallas21

Region: Los Angeles, CA

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By MikeFightNight

I wil try to set up a lobby the days of the tournament for people to come and play as I stream. I had first planned to get all the matches streamed but realized that coordinating such a thing would be impossible with peoples schedules. I still would like to figure out a way to stream the final 8, but those people would need to contact me so I could set it up. EIther way I will have a GB lobby going most of the day where people can join and fight. So if you are in the tourney and want to fight your oppenent in my lobby you can try. Was also thinking about streaming some story stuff the day I get P4A to test my set-up

http://www.twitch.tv/mikefightnight

I will make a forum post about it when the time nears and maybe Flux can embed the stream here when it goes up. The lobby will be open to the public (because having to deal with a bunch of random private invites on PS3 would be a hassel, and not very entertaining for people watching) So i was thinking about using the title system and telling people to set it to something like "I love Chie". Then anyone in the lobby who doesn't have the "secret" title I will boot xD

List of all the titles, some you may have to earn but I will pull from the stock ones. http://pastebin.com/XRip44ml

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@MikeFightNight: Nice plan. I'm going to be making a separate "discussion" thread when the tournament starts because I don't want people to have to go through this thread, which is mostly just sign-ups, to handle match times and to just discuss the tournament in general. I'll embed the stream in the OP of that thread.

I don't know if it's a good idea to have the lobby public, though, because I'm assuming there will be a ton of people who are not part of this tournament trying to join and it might be less compelling to watch you constantly need to boot people out of the lobby than to accept private invites, but I'm also not sure about that either.

If "Giant" and "Bomb" are ones available from the outset, it might be cool to have that be the title, if we stick with the public lobby system.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By MikeFightNight

Yeah, I am open to other ideas on how to handle it. Thing that sucks about PS3 is having to invite people, it's not like you can invite from someone else's friends list like on 360. So unless the person was on my friends list I would have to input their PSN ID every time I sent an invite. Maybe everyone can just add me, then I could go down the list and see who's playing and send out a bunch of invites.

gravitypenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By gravitypenguin

An update on video stuff on my end. I've ordered: 1x HD PVR, 1x HDMI splitter, 1x HDMI->Component converter. So if all goes well I should be able to both play and record/stream at the same time without incident.

Assuming I've got enough upload bandwidth to handle both streaming and netplay I plan to stream my matches for the weekend. During off-time if I'm not practicing I'll try and run another room for people to hold their matches in like Mike.

Teknique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Teknique

I'm down

PSN: Chaosalloy

Region: Southern California, US

orange_pork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By orange_pork

Well hells the fuck yeah.

PSN: Orange_Pork

Region: North Carolina, US

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Phatmac

Only one day left!

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Vashyron

Investigation Team GO!

johnsonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By johnsonic7

I'm ready to persona the hell out of some fools.

PSN: johnsonic7

Region: Orlando, Florida

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By jay_ray

This is bloody awesome, I love the GB community:

PSN: Jay_Ray

Region: Vancouver, BC

Rituke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Rituke

Made a account here to join XD

Username: Rituke

Psn: Rituke

Region: Alexandria, Virginia

The_Bigness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By The_Bigness

I'm in

Username: The_Bigness

PSN: Sheng_Koudoutai

Region: Chicago, Illinois

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By BradBrains

Username: Darkstalker

PSN ID: BradBrains

Region (matchmaking purposes in case of lag or whatever): North America ( Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)

Pickingwings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#239  Edited By Pickingwings

If sign ups are still continuing, I would love to join.

Username: Pickingwings

PSN ID: cheese305

Region: Ohio

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Phatmac

Just got my copy! I'm ready to fight!!

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#241  Edited By nohthink

@FluxWaveZ: I actually don't want to participate in the tournament but just want to have a friend list to fight. Is that okay?

PSN/User ID: nohthink

Region: Syracuse. NY

sirmokona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#242  Edited By sirmokona

I want in :D

PSN/User: sirmokona

Region: Mexico

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By Phatmac

I fucking suck at this game.. Man.

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By JoRoNimo

So how are matches scheduled? I would love to participate, but I work all three days,only becoming available after 10:00 Central Time on Fri/Sat and after 7:00 on Sunday. Is it impossible to play with this schedule?

AxleStukov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By AxleStukov

I'm in.

PSN ID - Axle_Stukov

Region - Orlando, Florida

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@jorojoserojas said:

So how are matches scheduled? I would love to participate, but I work all three days,only becoming available after 10:00 Central Time on Fri/Sat and after 7:00 on Sunday. Is it impossible to play with this schedule?

Schedule is pretty much the following:

------------------------------------------------------

[All times in EDT]

Day 1: 12:00 PM (August 10) - 8:00 AM (August 11)

Round 1: .....................W: 12:00 PM - 9:00 PM

...................................L: 12:00 PM - 11:00 PM (August 10)

Round 2: .....................W: 12:00 PM - 10:00 PM

...................................L: 12:00 PM - 8:00 AM (August 11)

Day 2: 8:00 AM (August 11) - 4:00 AM (August 12)

Round 3: .....................W: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM

...................................L: 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Round 4: .....................W: 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM

....................................L: 8:00 AM - 4:00 AM (August 13)

Day 3: 4:00 AM (August 12) - 11:00 PM (August 12)

Round 5: ......................W: 4:00 AM - 6:00 PM

....................................L: 4:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Round 6: ......................W: 4:00 AM - 7:00 PM

.....................................L: 4:00 AM - 8:00 PM

S-F: .............................W: 4:00 AM - 8:00 PM

.....................................L: 4:00 AM - 9:00 PM

Finals: ..............................4:00 AM - 11:00 PM

———————————————————————————————————————

So yeah, I'm not too sure that you'd be able to participate with that schedule.

Henasen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By Henasen

Ill give it a shot

PSN ID: Tjdayungdon

Region: Houston, Texas

By the way will the tournament times be flexible for those who have business?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Henasen said:

By the way will the tournament times be flexible for those who have business?

I don't believe so, sorry. Those tournament times are pretty strict as there are a lot of people participating and I'm finding that even three days was a bit restrictive. If I give exceptions to certain people, I'm afraid it could do a lot of damage. If you have any suggestions for the scheduling, though, I'd like to hear them as it's not totally final.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Phatmac

So we sign up tomorrow on challonge, right?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Turambar

@nohthink said:

@FluxWaveZ: I actually don't want to participate in the tournament but just want to have a friend list to fight. Is that okay?

PSN/User ID: nohthink

Region: Syracuse. NY

The same for me, I'm not too keen on performing with my stubby fingers in front of a crowd just yet, but I wouldn't mind having a list of guys to play with.

PSN: TurinTurambar200

Region: Madison, WI

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.