Giant Bomb Persona 4 Arena Tournament (PS3)

#251 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19345 posts) -
#252 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: That works.

#253 Posted by dogman795 (109 posts) -

Can someone explain how "winners" and "losers" rounds work, just for clarification?

#254 Posted by gravitypenguin (70 posts) -

@dogman795 said:

Can someone explain how "winners" and "losers" rounds work, just for clarification?

In a double elimination tournament if you lose a round you're sent to the losers bracket. If you lose there you're out altogether. The winner of the losers bracket will eventually face the winner of the original bracket in the finals where the loser will need to win two sets to take it.

In terms of rounds - those who lose their match during Round 1 will play their next match during the Round 1 Losers round and all subsequent matches during Round X Losers.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

On another note I tested out my capture hardware yesterday and it looks like everything is functional. Still working out the software side, but I should be good to go by start time :)

#255 Posted by dogman795 (109 posts) -

@gravitypenguin: Thanks. I haven't participated in many fighting game tournaments, and none of those were double elimination, so I wasn't sure.

#256 Posted by TheRealJpoe (134 posts) -

I'm using a new PSN account if that matters.

New PSN: TheRealJpoe

Old PSN : HxcScene08

#257 Posted by Anupsis (293 posts) -

@Phatmac: Don't worry about it just keep trying you'll get the hang of it, If you are on ps3 send me a friend request and I can practice with you. PSN: Anupsis

#258 Posted by Vashyron (205 posts) -

@Anupsis said:

@Phatmac: Don't worry about it just keep trying you'll get the hang of it, If you are on ps3 send me a friend request and I can practice with you. PSN: Anupsis

Yeah, just give it time. You have a couple days till Friday to nail down a character or two and get stuff figured out. Pretty sure no one is going to be going into this as a pro.

#259 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

@Anupsis: I'll add you!

#260 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

@Phatmac: Feel free to add me too(YIOrange). That goes for anyone. I need more practice against people before the tournament. Not sure who I'll end up maining, I was thinking Chie at first, but Yosuke is looking pretty good. Whoever it ends up being, the other and Yu will probably be my go to back ups. Though, so far I like everyone but Labrys(both), Aigis, and Mitsuru. Also, I don't think I'm that good.

#261 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Whoo! Internet's relatively good enough to play online.

PSN: Solaris1493

Region: Poteau, Oklahoma

#262 Posted by Rabid619 (1098 posts) -

Woohoo! I finally just picked my copy up, so I will absolutely be up for getting my ass handed to me in this tournament. Also.... man, that Blu-Ray set. Gimme!

PSN: Rabid619

Region: Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Prepare to get bent!

#263 Posted by wchigo (551 posts) -

Hm... this is so tempting.

However, I'm flying back home to Toronto from China on the 10th so I'll be severely jetlagged, and not even sure if I'll have the game yet. I probably won't even touch down until the tournament actually begins... /sigh

#264 Posted by GeneralGreat (1 posts) -

I'd love to sign up for this.

PSN ID: GeneralGreat

Region: Baltimore, Maryland

#265 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Good thing PS3's online is solid for me, unlike the 360 version!

#266 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

My copy arrives August 10, so I'll be able to participate in the tournament, I just won't have any practice at all.

#267 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

I've been having a lot of issues against Mitsuru and Akihiko, not sure why. Anyone got any pointers?(Playing primarily Yosuke and Chie).

Also, pretty sure I got my username wrong. It's YI-Orange, with a hyphen.

#268 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19345 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

Also, pretty sure I got my username wrong. It's YI-Orange, with a hyphen.

Ah... I thought so; was intrigued when I went against a "YI-Orange" on PSN playing a Yosuke. So indeed, that was you.

#269 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

How the fuck do you stop Naoto's instant win thing? Not Mudo/Hama, the other thing with the cross-hairs. It's cost me like 3 matches.

#270 Edited by dogman795 (109 posts) -

@YI_Orange: It is probably the hardest to dodge. But, I managed to accidentally dodge once because I was jumping when her persona came out and a ton of cross hairs show up, and happened to land between to two cross-hairs. The problem is, the lower that number next to the skull below your name, the more cross-hairs show, making it damn near impossible to dodge if they use it late in the match.

#271 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

@dogman795: Ah, I thought I was safe but then one moved over to me so I was kind of thrown.

Also, Elizabeth is bullshit, seriously. Every match goes exactly the same. I beat the shit out of them till they use the quick recover invincibility to throw me. Then they spam stuff.

#272 Posted by Vashyron (205 posts) -

@YI_Orange: From what I can tell, you have to stand between mid-screen (where her persona shows up and creates the first crosshair) and the edge of the screen. If you still aren't sure about the spacing, go into training mode as Naoto and do it a few times and that should give you an idea of where you'd need to stand to avoid getting caught.

@dogman795 said:

@YI_Orange: It is probably the hardest to dodge. But, I managed to accidentally dodge once because I was jumping when her persona came out and a ton of cross hairs show up, and happened to land between to two cross-hairs. The problem is, the lower that number next to the skull below your name, the more cross-hairs show, making it damn near impossible to dodge if they use it late in the match.

I've done it with their count at 0 and not noticed any additional crosshairs other than the four she creates if their count is at full.

#273 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -

I fought this one Chie and in the rare times when I managed to do a full block string (which is tough because she can mix it up with low-high), she was back on me before I could even punish. What's the trick? At which move do you counterattack? Someone said the key to fighting Chie with Mitsuru is 4B but that ain't working.

#274 Edited by dogman795 (109 posts) -

@Vashyron said:

I've done it with their count at 0 and not noticed any additional crosshairs other than the four she creates if their count is at full.

Really? I was testing it out earlier and thought I figured it out. I'll check it out some more I guess, it was late last night and I was getting a little tired, so it might have been my imagination.

#275 Posted by Petiew (1349 posts) -
@YI_Orange: I don't have the game, but I assume the throws can be teched which allows you to escape them. What exactly are they "spamming" that makes them beat you? Just work on your defence, and if they're zoning you out learn to move in more carefully and punish.
I've heard Elizabeth is actually low tier, because she has a few bad matchups.
#276 Posted by Vashyron (205 posts) -

@dogman795 said:

@Vashyron said:

Really? I was testing it out earlier and thought I figured it out. I'll check it out some more I guess, it was late last night and I was getting a little tired, so it might have been my imagination.

If you move around, there might be more, but considering that there are definite safe spots, you probably wouldn't see them as you want to be in those safe spots.

#277 Posted by dogman795 (109 posts) -

@Vashyron: @YI_Orange: Okay, so to dodge the instant kill, you need to be about between 2/3 and 3/4 from either edge of the screen. The farthest cross-hairs form her persona move in a little bit thug, so be careful about your position.

With the counter, if it hits 0 then her hama/mudo do instant kill, other wise, they don't do any damage at all.

#278 Posted by TheFakePsychic (194 posts) -

@Petiew: The thing about Elizabeth is that she is so reliant on her Persona that if you silence or break her, and then get in close and rush she's practically defenseless.

#279 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19345 posts) -

I can't believe how much trouble I have executing double quarter circle motions with my arcade controller. Frustrating.

#280 Posted by Grim_2_ (50 posts) -

@TheFakePsychic said:

@Petiew: The thing about Elizabeth is that she is so reliant on her Persona that if you silence or break her, and then get in close and rush she's practically defenseless.

Yeah I really notice that when I broke a few Elizabeth's persona she is pretty defenseless.

Anyone Know how to deal with Yu and Mitsuru? Cause I fell like they have a answer for everything and all I can do is just block while waiting for a opening.(mains Kanji)

#281 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

I can't believe how much trouble I have executing double quarter circle motions with my arcade controller. Frustrating.

It's even tougher on a dualshock!

#282 Edited by Bloo561 (110 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

It's even tougher on a dualshock!

and toughest on a fight pad!

#283 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

@Petiew: Tiers don't really matter at my skill level. In fact, I find in a lot of fighting games, lower tier characters are often really effective at my skill level(low) because of how gimmicky/spammy they are. Admittedly I forgot about getting out of throws, but I can't rely entirely on that.

If she does manage to get me away, Thanatos has a chain of attacks that reaches most of the way across a screen, including a throw of his own. Along with her spamming Maziodyne, and the occasional Maragidyne to push me back if she's smart, it's really hard to get in close. I've tried using Yosukes super to close the distance, but Maragidyne reaches so high up. If I do manage to close the distance, there's some combo that mostly involves using Mabufudyne over and over again that I tend to get caught in. It doesn't help that I've been dropping my combos lately, but still, sometimes I can only manage to get in a couple strings of attacks a round.

@Grim_2_: I have A LOT of problems with Mitsuru too, worse than Elizabeth.(I get the feeling some Elizabeth players are doing the equivalent of abusing for some reason. I've run into 2 people who were like 10-30 W-L but were among the best people I played against). She's really straight forward and doesn't have a ton of moves, and seems to only have a couple of combos she's gonna pull out, but I just can't find a way to really punish her at all except making her fall on her face when she uses her horizontal charge attack, but that's only Yosuke. With Kanji, I've only played him a few times, but using your furious action(L1) to counter and shock then do your Down-Pack-Persona grab(the one where he throws them and Take-Mikazuchi comes from the sky and does a ton of damage) then jumping on them with Cruel Attack(Down-Forward-Normal) as many times as you can seems pretty good. Not sure, but it's my best tactic with him, and the biggest thing I watch out for when fighting him.

@Phatmac: You using the gamepad or analog? You should be using the game pad, it's waaaaaay easier than analog and a fight stick for me.

#284 Posted by Slax (922 posts) -

Is there going to be a way to watch matches online? Or is that just up to the users in the fight?

#285 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19345 posts) -

@Slax said:

Is there going to be a way to watch matches online? Or is that just up to the users in the fight?

and are planning to stream some matches, I believe.

#286 Posted by Gaudeo (7 posts) -

I'm afraid I'll have to drop out. Work and local tournaments are conflicting.

PSN: Gaudeo

Another time!

#287 Posted by Slax (922 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: That's awesome. Kudos to all of you guys setting this up!

#288 Posted by TheFakePsychic (194 posts) -

@Slax: @FluxWaveZ: I'll probably be streaming my matches, and I'll definitely be recording them.

#289 Posted by arkkkkkkk (32 posts) -

Can we set a rule of making players not skip the intros?

Maybe some don't know, but skipping intros cause the game to lag.

#290 Edited by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

If it's wanted, we can also use my TwitchTV page to use as a chat room. I won't actually be streaming, but people can just pop-out the chat box and use that.

Edit: Oh, someone's streaming matches. Could just do it there; then people would have something to watch. o3o

#291 Posted by Grim_2_ (50 posts) -

@YI_Orange: A simple bait and punish then that sounds like a good tactic.

@arkkkkkkk said:

I agree with this can't tell how many times in BB ranked matches could of flow better if my opponent just let the intro finish.

#292 Posted by sirmokona (7 posts) -

@Grim_2_: well I didn't know about this. interesting.

#293 Posted by _Soki_ (101 posts) -

@Grim_2_ said:

@arkkkkkkk said:

I agree with this can't tell how many times in BB ranked matches could of flow better if my opponent just let the intro finish.

Is that true? I noticed how it was slow at the start but tends to fix itself when the round starts. That's good to know if it is true.

#294 Posted by Grim_2_ (50 posts) -

@sirmokona: @_Soki_: Its true when you let the intro finish itself it gives it enough time sync up instead of during the match.

#295 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

@_Soki_ said:

@Grim_2_ said:

@arkkkkkkk said:

Is that true? I noticed how it was slow at the start but tends to fix itself when the round starts. That's good to know if it is true.

Yup. Letting them play out lets the game synch up better, and you can actually start the round consecutively more easily instead of having to mess with your timing with how fast/slow it goes.

It makes me so sad with how many people are skipping intros online...

#296 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Watch some great Giant bomb fights! http://www.twitch.tv/thefakepsychic

#297 Posted by MethodMan008 (810 posts) -

Whoops, I forgot to sign up for this. :'(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.