Giant Bomb Persona 4 Arena Tournament (Xbox 360)

• 59 results
#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Hey, guys. You might have noticed the PS3 version of this tournament I'm organizing. Some people were disappointed that they wouldn't be able to participate because they'll be getting the Xbox 360 version of the game and I felt bad for them, so I'm doing this: a Persona 4 Arena tournament for 360 players. It'll take place from August 10th to August 12th just like the PS3 tournament. Tournament's open to all skill levels and people from everywhere, it's just closed to PS3 users.

Below will be pretty much the same info as put in my PS3 tourney copy and pasted (except for dates and the Challonge link):

Rules:

• The tournament will be played in a double elimination format, so players will need to lose a match twice to be eliminated.
  • Matches will be best 2 out of 3 rounds for 99 seconds each round. Winner will be best 2 out of 3 matches.
  • Semi-finals (Losers and Winners bracket) and finals will be best 2 out of 3 rounds for 99 seconds each round. Winner will be best 3 out of 5 matches.
  • A player that loses a match is allowed to switch characters, however a player who wins must choose the same character as his previous match.
  • If a player drops during a round, it is up to the opponent to decide if he agrees to do a rematch or not.
  • Saving a replay of your matches is recommended, because if there is a dispute between two players as to who actually won and no one provides proof, I'll have to disqualify both of the players for the sake of fairness.

How to sign up:

Reply in this thread saying you want to enter to give me an idea of how many people will be participating in this tourney. Post:

Username:

Gamertag:

Region (matchmaking purposes in case of lag or whatever):

Official sign-up page is here. This is to prevent people who say they'll be participating in the tourney but don't show up. You'll need a Challonge account to do this, so sign up for one here. Try to name your Challonge account as closely as you can to your GB username to avoid confusion.

Reason I'm requiring Challonge accounts is because players will be able to report the results of their matches themselves instead of having to constantly update the brackets myself.

When:

Tournament starts on Friday, August 10th and ends on Sunday, August 12th (???). Specific times and round deadlines have yet to be determined as I'm not sure how long I should put a delay for between tournament rounds.

Official Challonge sign-ups will be open from August 9th 5:00 PM EDT / 2:00 PM PDT until August 10th, 12:00 PM EDT / 9:00 AM PDT. So players should arrive and sign up on the page before the limit or else they won't be included in the bracket and won't be able to participate in the tournament. Signing up doesn't take long to do at all, so this shouldn't be a problem.

I'll post the sign-up page on August 9th and the bracket will be posted after the sign-up page is closed.

Entrants

UsernameGamertagRegion
FluxWaveZFluxWaveZMontreal, Quebec
MesoianMesoianBoston, Ma
Joker369WACReDNorth Eastern U.S (New Jersey)
JeanLucgoatman42North Eastern USA (Vermont)
ZecriahZecriahParis, TX, Midwest
DethfishDethfish77Seattle, WA
SunsetstreekSunsetstreekWest coast (Washington)
Asian2GoHylianhero1991Kansas City, Kansas. Mid-west
SteepInKlineSteepInKlineUpstate NY
HurtboxTVHybridfiendCalifornia
GinkanMr Ho28North Eastern US (PA)
juicetonNot a ZakuMD/VA/DC
AetheldodHruotJalisco Mexico
kuz101Madness2dayBoston. Ma
TroispointDarth Revan 666Montreal. Qc. Canada.
DrakojiDrakojiMontréal, Québec
Oddy4000OddnaughtUSA

If anyone can record their matches or if anyone could stream them, that'd be helpful. Also, I can't provide any prizes out of my own pocket for this tournament, sorry.

#2 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Coolies. Is there an online tournament mode? If so, I'll record it and throw the results up here.

Mesoian| Mesoian| Boston, Ma

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

Coolies. Is there an online tournament mode?

I don't know, but I don't think so.

#4 Posted by Bloo561 (105 posts) -

I can change it a anytime I don't you to problem because of me so you can change your date to what ever fits I think they can wait a few days for the tourney

#5 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Bloo561: No, that's fine. Like I said, even if you weren't organizing the tourney on the same date I wouldn't be able to handle both the PS3 tourney and the 360 tourney at the same time. Besides, not sure how the turnout for a 360 tourney will be in the first place since everyone's getting the game for the PS3.

Never mind, having the 360 tournament at the same time as the PS3 one might not be as troublesome as I thought, so this tournament will take place at the same time as the PS3 one (starting on August 10th).

#6 Edited by Joker369 (870 posts) -

I'm in

Username: Joker369

Gamertag: WACReD

Region: North Eastern U.S (New Jersey)

Also, is there any reason for the low turnout on 360 other than there just being more persona fans on the sony side? Is there some sort of difference between versions that I'm missing? Anyway, thanks for making a 360 tournament.

#7 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Joker369 said:

Also, is there any reason for the low turnout on 360 other than there just being more persona fans on the sony side? Is there some sort of difference between versions that I'm missing? Anyway, thanks for making a 360 tournament.

Not sure it's because there are more Persona fans who prefer Sony consoles (though that may be a factor), but it's because this is a fighting game (fighting games on GB have a history of being more successful for the community on the PS3 compared to the 360) and because it's an Arc System Works fighting game (people who are interested in these games are usually more PS3 inclined than 360). Maybe it also has something to do with the PS3 being EVO's console of choice making it a general preference for the FGC. There is absolutely no (major) difference between the 360 and PS3 versions, but it was bound to be more popular on the PS3 from the start. It's not just exclusive to GB, either, as you can see by checking this similar tournament's entrant.

Depending on the number of people this might be held during a single day rather than three... or I might need to cancel it altogether if there are only, like, 5-6 people.

#8 Posted by JeanLuc (3574 posts) -

I want to go deep with this game so I'll take any Tournament I can get.

Username: JeanLuc

Gametag: goatman42

Region: North Eastern USA (Vermont)

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@JeanLuc said:

I want to go deep with this game so I'll take any Tournament I can get.

I hear ya. First fighting game (or game, period) that I've ever wanted to be serious about. It's why I'm getting both the Xbox 360 version of the game and the PS3 version.

#10 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

I'd love to participate, but I'm workin' all weekend, usually like 3-9 Eastern. Once you get the final times down maybe I can find a way to work it out, I'll stay tuned to this thread.

#11 Posted by Zecriah (31 posts) -

I'm so hype for this game it's not even funny.

Zecriah, Zecriah, and Paris, TX, Midwest essentially

#12 Posted by Dethfish (3630 posts) -

Just pre-ordered the game because I am a crazy man who will buy anything with the name Persona on it. I shouldn't be busy that weekend so I suppose I'll sign up for the tourney. I'm quite awful at fighting games usually so I'll probably just end up being a free win for someone else. Does anyone know which character plays the most like Ryu or Ken. I know how to throw fireballs so that might help.

Username: Dethfish

Gamertag: Dethfish77

Region: Seattle, WA

#13 Posted by sunsetstreek (57 posts) -

I'll sign up for this one as well I guess. But yeah, i'm also pretty bad, but eh, should be fun.

Username: Sunsetstreek

Gamertag: Sunsetstreek

#14 Posted by Vade (393 posts) -

@Dethfish: The protagonist guy is the easiest to pick up, he has a fireball and stuff. However, it's an airdasher so the advanced mobility needs some advanced zoning. Simple fireball game will be a lot less effective than in your usual Street Fighter.

#15 Posted by Asian2Go (180 posts) -

Username: Asian2Go

Gamertag: Hylianhero1991

Region (matchmaking purposes in case of lag or whatever): Kansas City, Kansas. Mid-west.

#16 Posted by SteepInKline (161 posts) -

Totally in. My gamertag's SteepInKline.

#17 Edited by bretthancock (778 posts) -

Please remove me. Changing my set up to PS3.

#18 Posted by SteepInKline (161 posts) -

My region, by the way, is Upstate NY.

#19 Posted by lordofultima (6214 posts) -

Not sure I'll play in this since I don't know what console I'm getting it on. Torn.

#20 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

I'll see what I can do about streaming this. I might not be able to do it from my apartment, but I could bring my 360 into work or something, that would get the job done. We'll see.

#21 Edited by HurtboxTV (10 posts) -

Username: HurtboxTV

Gamertag: Hybridfiend

Region: California

I also happen to have a Cap card so If you want, I have the ability to capture. (can't stream if I'm entering...would kill the connection. haha)

If you want to see the quality of my cap card take a look at my channel on YT (Username is: HurtboxTV)

#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@HurtboxTV: If Mesoian can't stream the matches or just record them, I'll gladly have you do it. Checked your channel and the recorded matches look great. So, either way, I'm glad that these matches will probably be recorded in some form.

#23 Posted by HurtboxTV (10 posts) -

Yeah well whatever matches I am in i will record if Mesoian can record the matches. If not I'll be glad to do the recordings.

#24 Posted by Ginkan (4 posts) -

Woot I'll join too but hopefully the netcode gets fixed by then for the 360.

Username: Ginkan

Gamertag: Mr Ho28

Region: North Eastern US (PA)

#25 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -
@HurtboxTV said:

Yeah well whatever matches I am in i will record if Mesoian can record the matches. If not I'll be glad to do the recordings.

I can definitely record matches. It's more streaming live that might be an issue. I'll due some tests this weekend and see what we can come up with.
#26 Posted by HurtboxTV (10 posts) -

@Mesoian: Alright sounds good to me. I will record the matches I'm in. and if it's possible I'd like to get those recorded matches and I'll put it on my channel and credit you for the recordings.

#27 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Okay, so I'll record the matches, but after a few tests with my stream channel, I've decided not to live stream. There are too many quality breakdowns happening at various intervals, and it makes more sense for me to provide 720p high quality videos of each match than it does for me to provide a buggy stream. 

#28 Posted by FateOfNever (1816 posts) -

Wow, this is a lot smaller than the PS3 one. I guess it also doesn't have the same type of prize support as the PS3 one does. And I guess more of the fighting community is over on the other console? Don't think I'll be getting to participate so soon after release (as I may not be getting a copy of the game until my birthday on the 15th) but good luck to everyone that plays.

#29 Posted by JeanLuc (3574 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

Okay, so I'll record the matches, but after a few tests with my stream channel, I've decided not to live stream. There are too many quality breakdowns happening at various intervals, and it makes more sense for me to provide 720p high quality videos of each match than it does for me to provide a buggy stream.

Are you going to be able to record all the matches or just your own? I'm not familiar with how the online in P4A works.

#30 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

@JeanLuc said:

@Mesoian said:

Are you going to be able to record all the matches or just your own? I'm not familiar with how the online in P4A works.

It's lobbies that support spectating. So as long as I can stay in the lobby, I can record all the matches.

#31 Posted by juiceton (24 posts) -

Username: juiceton

Gamertag: Not a Zaku

Region (matchmaking purposes in case of lag or whatever): MD/VA/DC

Awesome idea duder!

#32 Posted by HurtboxTV (10 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

If possible link me when you get the videos posted after the tournament, if possible I'd like to post the tournament footage on my channel as well.

#33 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -
@HurtboxTV said:

@Mesoian said:

If possible link me when you get the videos posted after the tournament, if possible I'd like to post the tournament footage on my channel as well.

Shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to try and encode on the fly, the only bottleneck I have is uploading the files to youtube since bandwidth caps have made me paranoid about uploading stuff from home.  

Gonna make an intro next week.
#34 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

There better be another one of these, considering I'm gonna be on vacation next week. :(

#35 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@iAmJohn: Yeah, I'll most likely have subsequent tournaments after these first ones. I don't know when, but that's the plan.

#36 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Yay!

#37 Posted by HurtboxTV (10 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

@HurtboxTV said:

@Mesoian said:

Shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to try and encode on the fly, the only bottleneck I have is uploading the files to youtube since bandwidth caps have made me paranoid about uploading stuff from home. Gonna make an intro next week.

Ok well I have no problems uploading stuff if need be I'll split the video into multiple parts. and I'll put a link in the description to your stream channel.

#38 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

There's been a lot of complaint about the Xbox 360 version's netcode which has me a bit worried about the performance of our matches if the problem doesn't get fixed by Friday.

#39 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

I will see if I can get in on this.

#40 Edited by Aetheldod (3514 posts) -

Username: Aetheldod

Gamertag: Hruot

Challonge: Aetheldod

Region: Jalisco Mexico

Was trying to get the PS3 version but they sold out and arent restoking , so I could only get the Xbox360 version (well at least im sure I will be able to play on TNT :D)

#41 Posted by kuz101 (209 posts) -

Username: kuz101

Gamertag: Madness2day

Region: Boston. Ma

#42 Edited by Troispoint (267 posts) -

Username Troispoint

Gamertag: Darth Revan 666

Region: Montreal. Qc. Canada.

#43 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

I'd love to participate but not with the broken netcode right now.

If there's ever another one after the patch though, count me in.

#44 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Would you guys mind if the tournament lasted 2 days instead of 3 because of the amount of people participating? I'd even want it to take place during a single day, but that might be a bit problematic.

Here's the schedule I have in mind (time in EDT):

Day 1: 12:00 PM (August 10) - 8:00 AM (August 11)

Round 1: .....................W: 12:00 PM - 9:00 PM

...................................L: 12:00 PM - 11:00 PM (August 10)

Round 2: .....................W: 12:00 PM - 10:00 PM

...................................L: 12:00 PM - 8:00 AM (August 11)

Day 2: 8:00 AM (August 11) - 12:00 AM (August 11-12)

Round 3: .....................W: 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM

...................................L: 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM

S-F: .....................W: 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM

....................................L: 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Finals: ......................W: 4:00 AM - 12:00 AM

—————————————————————————————————

How is it?

#45 Posted by Aetheldod (3514 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Its fine by me duder :D ... also the xbox netcode isnt as horrible as people had said so I think it is doable

#46 Posted by Troispoint (267 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Got no problem with a 2 day schedule.

#47 Posted by Drakoji (220 posts) -

User: Drakoji

Gamertag: Drakoji

Region: Montréal / Québec.

Let's just hope that netcode issues will be fixed :(

#48 Posted by Oddy4000 (94 posts) -

Username: Oddy4000

Gamertag: Oddnaught

USA

#49 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

WE should seriously cancel this tournament until the patch drops. Online play on 360 is nigh on impossible right now.

#50 Posted by Dethfish (3630 posts) -

@Mesoian: I was thinking the same thing.

I still can't tell if the lag is my problem or the games though. The netcode is supposedly bad, but my internet has also been super inconsistent lately, so it's really hard to tell what I should be mad at.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.