Giant Bomb vs. GameFAQs | Persona 4 Arena Tournament (sign-ups)

• 95 results
#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

So discussing with

• Both GB and GameFAQs will form a team. These teams will be formed of exactly 12 people, not more. If one of the websites has less people than 12 signing up, then we'll have to adjust to the lower limit. For example, if GB has 12 people willing to sign up but GameFAQs only has 9, then 3 people will need to be cut from the GB team so that the teams are balanced.
  • The order of the participants in a team will be pre-determined before everything starts and matches will work like a standard, single elimination team tournament. For example: GBTM1 (Giant Bomb Team Member 1) vs. GFTM1 (GameFAQs Team Member 1). If GBTM1 wins, then the matchup will be GBTM1 vs. GFTM2 and so on. A team loses when all of their members are eliminated.
  • All matches will be best 2 out of 3 rounds for 99 seconds each round. Winner will be best 2 out of 3 matches. This isn't double elimination or anything, so when a member is eliminated, they're gone FOREVER.
  • A player that loses a match is allowed to switch characters, however a player who wins must choose the same character as his previous match.
  • If a player drops during a round, it is up to the opposing team to decide if they get a rematch or not.
  • We'll probably all be paying attention to this stuff, but save replays if, for some weird reason, players decide to have their match in a private lobby.

How to Sign Up

PSN ID:

Sign-ups ARE NOT first-come, first served. However, only 12 people will be able to be part of the team in the end. Just post if you're interested in joining and the final members will be decided at a later date.

When

November 17th. Let's say the tournament will start at 4:00 PM EST / 1:00 PM PST.

Prizes

Bragging rights for the winning team's website? We don't have any huge monetary prize that can be distributed to each member of a team, a bunch of Steam games to give away or anything, so that'll have to do.

Member who wins the most rounds (GB Team Only) – The monetary equivalent of a digital copy of Persona 4 Golden in PSN gift cards. (Thanks to

Entrants (Not in any Order)

GB Username (tourney matches won)GB PSN ID
FluxWaveZ (21)FluxWaveZ
TheFakePsychic (3)TheFakePsychic
Liquidus (4)LiquidRob
Commisar123 (2)Commisar123
InfiniteSpark (1)RuriKidA
YI_Orange (8)YI-Orange
Brodehouse (6)Brodehouse
_Soki_ (6)IxGunMonkeyxI
MDYu (13)xxnickixx
aznjon12 (20)aznjon09
Servantey (8)Jgalm14
IrrelevantJohn (1)xLLeg3ndX
gravitypenguin (12)gravitypenguin
Bloo561 (2)Bloo561
Xomero (8)Xomero
Keystone_Yinzer (4)Keystone_Yinser
GameFAQs UsernameGameFAQs PSN ID

Um, so that's it, I think. Hopefully people here are interested in this. Even though this is more "serious" than previous tournaments, the point is still to have fun so don't be intimidated to join!

The chat at http://giantbombing.com/chat/ in the channel #GB_P4A is always there for us to practice, have fun playing matches, posting bad fan fiction and everything.

Full archive has been uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3N1LOBpt8ytBDbTuN1Tq49pPNJfEbP0R

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

Also, seems like this isn't the first GB vs. GameFAQs fighting game tournament, as we had a Marvel vs. Capcom 3 one last year. Totally forgot about that.

#3 Edited by TheFakePsychic (191 posts) -

If you lack people, I'll party, with my... 6 tourney rounds won? but I'd still rather just stream. PSN ID: TheFakePsychic and I play Naoto.

@FluxWaveZ said:

posting bad fan fiction

UGH.

#4 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@TheFakePsychic said:

If you lack people, I'll party, with my... 6 tourney rounds won? but I'd still rather just stream.

@FluxWaveZ said:

posting bad fan fiction

UGH.

Something the matter?

#5 Posted by TheFakePsychic (191 posts) -

@Liquidus: Let's just say I had a pretty bad nightmare last night and it's your fault.

#6 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@TheFakePsychic:Happy to oblige. I guess, we all know the dangers of posting fanfics, now don't we?

#7 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

I guess, I'll join in but I'm willing to bail out for someone more likely to kick ass :)

#8 Posted by arkkkkkkk (32 posts) -

I wanna see. Post link~

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@TheFakePsychic: @Liquidus: Post your PSN IDs! Makes my job easier.

Alright, so adding the both of you to the list.

#10 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I'll go for it

PSN ID Commisar123

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5724 posts) -

Good luck guys! I'll be watching from the sidelines! Go Giant Bomb! :D

#12 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ:LiquidRob

#13 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

Man, I really wish I could join all these P4A tournaments but I'm using my neighbour's wifi and I already went over his data cap once.

Good luck to team Giant Bomb.

#14 Edited by Hadoken101 (757 posts) -

I don't feel like I'd do very well for the team but I'll definitely be watching and cheering you guys on! Let's go GB and please body GameFAQs!

#15 Edited by InfiniteSpark (301 posts) -

OK, I'll put my name in for now, but feel free to cut me for a stronger team/member limitations. I'd definitely be happy to spar with others leading up to the cross-game website tourney even if I don't make the team.

PSN: RuriKidA - Tourney Wins: 1

#16 Posted by YI_Orange (1141 posts) -

Sure, count me in. PSN YI-Orange. Not sure how many tourny rounds I've won.

Also, why'd you guys decide on a pre-set order as opposed to just doing it in the moment?

#17 Posted by FLStyle (4649 posts) -

Get-em GB P4A crew!

#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

I only have the 360, but probably wouldn't participate anyway ( my fighting style in any fighting game is just spamming the attack button until someone dies and then yelling at the TV when my opponent counters )

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

You forgot to mention that people representing GB are going to get banned if they lose against GameFaqs dudes.

#20 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

Also, why'd you guys decide on a pre-set order as opposed to just doing it in the moment?

Because that could get disorganized real quick, with people scrambling to decide who goes next and such.

The rules might change though, so I guess that point could eventually be modified as well.

#21 Edited by Brodehouse (9778 posts) -

You can sign me up, but I've only got 6 tourney matches won so I'm sure I'll get pushed off.

If I do end up on the team, I'm going to need to get crushed a lot by you S rankers in long ass 1v1 spars to get my game in gear.

ID is Brodehouse, of course. One handle, now and forever!

#22 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

I'd sign up, but I'd have to shake up a lot of rust to catch up to you guys now. Best of luck to whoever does make it; although I've been a member of GameFAQs longer, give 'em hell. :)

#23 Posted by _Soki_ (101 posts) -

I'm in. PSN ID: IxGunMonkeyxI

Tourney matches won: 6

#24 Edited by MDYu (36 posts) -

I'm so in. PSN ID: xxnickixx

Tourney matches won: 15 (if you count my reset against Flux) if not, 14

EDIT: oh wait ROUNDS if it's that then I guess it's double? I don't get it :s oh well but I've been to 3 tourneys and not counting teams tourney

EDIT2: As a recomendation if I may, how's the idea of each player character shown? There would be some strategy on that

#25 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

Which is a better indicator or potential skill: number of rounds won or number of matches won? Those I've indicated are number of rounds.

#26 Posted by MDYu (36 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I think matches, I mean you can win a round but you don't always win the match. But that's my opinion.

Also by match we mean one match = best out of 3 or only 1 match?

#27 Posted by aznjon12 (188 posts) -

I'll sign up

PSN ID: aznjon09

Tourney Matches Won: Please don't make me go count.

#28 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@MDYu: Yeah, by one match I mean best out of 3. And you're right, I'll count them by matches now and edit the OP.

@aznjon12: Glad to see you join, you'll be a valuable asset to our team. Seems that particularly you and I strike fear in the hearts of certain GameFAQs users, so that's something.

#29 Posted by Servantey (19 posts) -

I'm in PSN: Jgalm14

#30 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

We've determined that this will be a single day event, so it'll only take place on November 17th. It's preferable that way.

Also, team order will be set in advance before the start of the tournament, but things will remain flexible in case people aren't there and members need to be substituted or cut, all to balance things out.

#31 Edited by IrrelevantJohn (1054 posts) -

If you need a 12th player then you can sign me up. Feel free to cut me loose anytime you get a better player or just need less members.

PSN IS: xLLeg3ndX

One match won.

#32 Posted by Brodehouse (9778 posts) -

Yeah, I'll just add I'll gladly step down if Xomero or Messenko or anyone I know is easily better than me wants in. Other day Xom whipped me like 12-4 over an hour. Don't even think he was using his main.

#33 Posted by gravitypenguin (64 posts) -

I'd be interested in this if you guys would have me. Not sure if you're full or what.

Psn gravitypenguin

#34 Posted by gravitypenguin (64 posts) -

Also 12 matches won I guess? Hard to count on the ol' phone.

#35 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@gravitypenguin: With you signing up, we've passed the 12 player limit.

Don't let that stop people from willing to sign up, though. I'm just pointing it out as, now, at least one of the people on that list is going to get cut. It's probably simple at this point because there's one person who wanted to prioritize their getting cut, but it might not be so simple if we get a bunch more people signing up.

Thankfully, I don't have to deal with something like the GameFAQs side where a whole lot of people want to join and where the 12 player limit was quickly surpassed.

#36 Posted by MDYu (36 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Why don't have more players in both sites then? Like 3 teams of each. GB Team 1,2,3 and GF 1,2,3. Each consisting of 5 or 6 people and one captain? And it'll be like a best out of 3 tourney. Have one team go against other one by random or something? It's just an idea

#37 Edited by Bloo561 (107 posts) -

LET'S GO!

PSN: Bloo561/4 tourney matches won

I'll try to steam this (make to not to let my friend borrow a game i have not finished)

#38 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@MDYu: That sounds mighty complicated for us to organize for a one-day thing. We could always increase the player limit from 12 to something else, as well, but that's also to shorten the time frame of the tournament and to make it simpler to organize. Plus, there will always be people who don't show up and stuff like that, so balancing teams out and structuring team order is much simpler with one big team than with multiple factions.

#39 Edited by Xomero (62 posts) -

I'm in if there's still space on the team for me. I don't really want to count my wins though D: I'd have to look them all up. Can I just sign up with like 1412 Wins?

If anyone gets the reference :D

Edit: PSN ID: Xomero (if allowed to)

#40 Posted by AxleBro (798 posts) -

I want in the gb tournament due to life stuff, does that man i can't be on the team? I actually play this game pretty well

#41 Posted by AxleBro (798 posts) -
@AxleFGK i wasnt* sorry, typing on my phone so typos everywhere.
#42 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@AxleFGK said:

I want in the gb tournament due to life stuff, does that man i can't be on the team? I actually play this game pretty well

Anyone can be on the team. However, priority will probably go to people who have participated in previous tournaments as I'm aware of their skill.

#43 Edited by Keystone_Yinzer (134 posts) -

Godspeed duders. I will gladly fight against you guys in lobbies to assist in training ya'll for this most noble battle.

Also, if there is an opening....countme in.

PSN: Keystone_Yinzer

#44 Posted by Vashyron (199 posts) -

Go GB Community. I'd sign up, my wireless internet has been real shoddy and I'm out of practice. Though, I'm rooting for ya.

#45 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

Just to make things clear, this will only take place on November 17th and not on November 18th.

Since this tournament will be happening fairly soon, I guess I should get onto actually establishing who's on the GB team... Do you guys have any opinions on how we should proceed with that (making a small round robin tournament or something else) or should I just pick the people who I believe are the strongest?

#46 Posted by InfiniteSpark (301 posts) -

Flux, I'd probably lean toward picking who you think is the strongest. I think you've seen everyone play who participated in the tournaments enough to know who plays well. There's always a possibility in round-robin tournament in knocking out a good player from the team, who may just have a bad day.

#47 Posted by Bloo561 (107 posts) -

I agree with Spark I think you should pick who should be on a team. You know almost everybody play style and possibility for them to win with a certain character.

#48 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1054 posts) -

@InfiniteSpark said:

Flux, I'd probably lean toward picking who you think is the strongest. I think you've seen everyone play who participated in the tournaments enough to know who plays well. There's always a possibility in round-robin tournament in knocking out a good player from the team, who may just have a bad day.

I agree with everything Spark just said.

#49 Posted by Brodehouse (9778 posts) -

Agreed. You pick, Flux.

(I won't be upset if I'm not picked, just one less thing to stress about)

Tell you what would be interesting next thing is if we did a mirror match gauntlet thing. One player for one character, best of 13.

#50 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Tell you what would be interesting next thing is if we did a mirror match gauntlet thing. One player for one character, best of 13.

Haha, that would certainly be interesting.

Alright, so I guess I'll be choosing. Guess that means that I'll have to remove four people from the current list.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.