Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

Persona 4 Arena is an Arc System Works-developed fighting game with an Atlus-developed story mode that serves as the official sequel to both Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Is this game good for Persona newbies?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm very interested in playing this game, as I want to try and get back into fighting games to hype myself up for Ultra Street Fighter IV and Super Smash Bros 4, so I thought I'd try out a ARC System Works game. I'm not sure if BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma is worth it or not, whereas I've heard VERY good things about this. But there's just one problem: I've NEVER played a Persona game before.

So, here's the question: Is it better to buy 4 and 3 before playing this, or is it OK to just jump right into it? I've heard that it outright spoils the plot of 3, but I'm more concerned about it spoiling the plot of 4.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I highly recommend playing at least Persona 4 before playing this games story mode, you will probably have a greater appreciation for how certain things develop and occur if you have some familiarity with either Persona 4 or Persona 4 Golden. Persona 4 will be up for 10$ on PSN in a couple of days also.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's a good fighting game, so if you want a good fighting game: Buy it. The story mode is pretty much a post Persona 4 visual novel that you won't get anything out of if you haven't played Persona 4 (Persona 3 isn't that important), but you don't need to have played any of the main games to enjoy the fighting game part of P4 A.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well, it doesn't really spoil 4, but it kinda does? They mention what they did and how they were affected by it. Characters talk about how Narukami changed them and stuff.

They don't outright say what happens in Persona 4, they just mention that it was important.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bigjeffrey

if you do alot of reading then you'll be fine. But why not play 3 and 4 they are fantastic fucking games.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@steamrickroller: The story is just reading intersected with very easy battles. If you want to get into fighting games, you are better off playing the other modes outside story. You can save it for later, after playing the 3 or 4. It's mostly fanservice anyways, so I'd think most of it be lost on you.

BTW, the game isn't especially active, and you might have issues finding matches against other players.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

Well, you are in luck. You should watch the Persona 4 endurance run, hours of fun to be had.

Here is a youtube playlist of all the episodes in order just waiting for you. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL27EAE3A1228B1042

Here on this website that series of videos of Jeff and Vinny playing through all of Persona 4 is a classic that no one should miss.

EDIT: I am pretty sure that it spoils all of 4 yes, you should experience that game if you are planning to play the story in this game. Experience it in what way is most convenient to you.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Petiew

If you want to play an anime style airdasher get Blazblue Chrono Phantasma.

Persona 4 Arena has been out for a while and the player base has decreased a lot so finding games online will be more difficult. P4A is a decent game with the bonus of lots of Persona fanservice, I think BB is a better fighting game. So if you're not a fan of the persona franchise it won't seem as interesting.

Oops, as for the actual question: You'd really want to play P3 and 4 before jumping into this. It doesn't expressly ruin the major story points (aside from one of two) but to be honest the story in P4A isn't great to begin with. If you're not already a fan of the characters I can't see this game making a positive impression.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Steadying

No, play 3 FES.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

If you care about the story, I guess playing P4 and P3 would make the story have more sense.

As for the fighting part, it's a lot of fun and the simpler ArkSystem fighter. Been playing this recently and its been a lot of fun.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For getting into fighting games? Yes.

For getting into Persona? No.

Playing at least 4 is required to get anything significant out of the story, and even then, I didn't particularly enjoy anything other than Labrys' arc. The mechanics in the game are great though, and as someone who never played a fighting game before this one, I can assure you that, if you are willing to put in a relatively small amount of time, you'll definitely enjoy it and learn a bit about the fighting genre in general. Hope this was helpful.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

The story does a good job of not spoiling previous games, but you won't really understand the story if this is your starting point. But it's a really fun fighting game, and you can get a lot of enjoyment out of it without the story.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Not at all. I can't name a single person who played this game and was ready to play Persona 3 FES afterward.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Seems like it's fan oriented story wise. The fighting mechanics are fine, but you wont get the story at all if you haven't played the RPGs.

So, if you care about story then it's not the place to start.

Since you want it for a fighting game I'd say go nuts, though. Fighting games aren't really about the story. Even MK9, which I feel invents how to tell a story in a fighting game, doesn't have to use the story to be fun (but it's a great bonus).

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As I understand it P4 Arena is a good entry point for the ARC System Works style of fighting games. You don't need to know the story of Persona 4 or 3 to understand it but it's good if you want to get into the story. Lucky for you there is a comprehensive play through of the P4 on this very site!

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/endurance-run-persona-4-part-01/2300-219/

Have fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.