Labrys's Accent

  • 63 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2036 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@EquitasInvictus said:

I find it so odd how there's always been different interpretations of "translating" Kansai accents in Japanese media localizations. Brooklyn is probably the most popular, although I've noticed other departures for interpreting Kansai (I've seen/heard a Southern accent used in place of Brooklyn before).

I remember that in Azumanga Daioh, the manga adaptation, Osaka had a New Jersey-style accent, while in the anime dub, she was given a Texan drawl.

The latter was actually exactly what I was referring to! That's pretty funny the anime localization practically contradicts the localized manga adaptation, though, you'd at least expect some consistency there.

#52 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

@Hailinel said:

@EquitasInvictus said:

I find it so odd how there's always been different interpretations of "translating" Kansai accents in Japanese media localizations. Brooklyn is probably the most popular, although I've noticed other departures for interpreting Kansai (I've seen/heard a Southern accent used in place of Brooklyn before).

I remember that in Azumanga Daioh, the manga adaptation, Osaka had a New Jersey-style accent, while in the anime dub, she was given a Texan drawl.

The latter was actually exactly what I was referring to! That's pretty funny the anime localization practically contradicts the localized manga adaptation, though, you'd at least expect some consistency there.

It's apparent that the translation teams weren't working with each other on that.

#53 Posted by juice8367 (443 posts) -

jersey. I'm pretty sure its jersey

#54 Posted by Curufinwe (1266 posts) -

@drew327 said:

It sounds like she bounces around between brooklyn, australia, and british. Agree with Phatmac, hope she doesn't have a huge role in future games

She never once sounds anything but American.

#55 Posted by Hunter5024 (5821 posts) -

Whatever it is, it sure is cute.

#56 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

I'm watching Rocky Balboa (Rocky VI, 2006). The actress who plays "Little Marie" sounds a lot like Labrys. The accent isn't quite as thick, but it's pretty similar. It takes place in Philadelphia. Just sayin'.

#57 Posted by aznjon12 (189 posts) -

Labrys's accent is obviously an endearing character trait. So shut up.

#58 Posted by arkkkkkkk (32 posts) -

I'm all dizzy!

#59 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@Hailinel: labia is a latin word for an axe wound , whats your problem?

#60 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@envane said:

@Hailinel: labia is a latin word for an axe wound , whats your problem?

It's a Latin term for "lip." The only reference I can find where the meaning is "axe wound" is the Urban Dictionary, which counts for nothing in this conversation.

#61 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

uh take an off color joke for what it is plz

#62 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@envane said:

uh take an off color joke for what it is plz

I think you took my original comment a lot more seriously than I did.

#63 Posted by Xomero (63 posts) -

I think it's just a general stereotypical North Eastern accent.

I like it and think Shadow Labrys and Labrys are pretty interesting characters.

: Robo Jersey? Where's my ticket to that place!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.