NA Release Officially Announced, Renamed "Persona 4 Arena"

• 104 results
#1 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -
Shocker.

#2 Posted by WebOfSomething (51 posts) -

Releasing the same time as Japan

#3 Posted by metalsnakezero (2298 posts) -

And this is why Atlus always gets our money. Also Chie as top tier.

#4 Edited by JJOR64 (19001 posts) -

I really hope this game is different enough from Guilty Gear and BlazBlu.

#5 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand pre-ordered.

#6 Posted by mwng (940 posts) -

Fix'd for Europe.

#7 Posted by JeanLuc (3586 posts) -

Little bummed that its just called persona 4 arena. but its also coming out this summer so who cares!? :D

#8 Posted by Flappy (2272 posts) -

Totally should've been: Persona 4: Badass Arena. I'm not a fan of playing fighting games (totally lack the dedication to do so), but I hope it blows up in the FGC and gets some love.

#9 Posted by JJOR64 (19001 posts) -

@Flappy said:

... but I hope it blows up in the FGC and gets some love.

Most likely it wont because it's not a Capcom game. The game will be played for sure, but it's not going to be huge.

#10 Posted by Commisar123 (1793 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

@Flappy said:

Most likely it wont because it's not a Capcom game. The game will be played for sure, but it's not going to be huge.

Also because its an Arc Systems games and those are not always very good competitive fighters. I do hope it gets big though.

#11 Posted by JackSukeru (5915 posts) -

I'm definetly importing the PS3 version.

A bit bummed that the "NEW console-exclusive" doesn't make a mention of any new characters to be included, makes it seem like there won't be any.

#12 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Not really that excited about a Persona 4 fighting game. Don't get me wrong, I love Persona 4, it just still seems weird to me.. I'll pick it up anyways.

#13 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

I really really want this. Hopefully they have proper arcade style modes with stories for each character.

#14 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4536 posts) -

@metalsnakezero said:

She'll always be top tier...

...in my heart.

#15 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

where's mah Vita version Atlus, awesome d-pad needs usage!

#16 Posted by Flappy (2272 posts) -

@Commisar123 said:

@JJOR64 said:

@Flappy said:

Also because its an Arc Systems games and those are not always very good competitive fighters. I do hope it gets big though.

I'm not asking it to be the next SFIV or anything, but some sort of community would be nice. Hell, even Melty Blood has followers.

#17 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

Need a new reason to use my fightstick.

#18 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

A bit bummed that the "NEW console-exclusive" doesn't make a mention of any new characters to be included, makes it seem like there won't be any.

Hm, I don't know if they'd be willing to release such information in an initial announcement, but it will definitely be disappointing if there's not even one new character added to the cast. Hopefully the story mode is awesome.

And I was certain that there would be a simultaneous release with the NA and Japanese versions of P4U (it will always be P4U to me) and I'm glad that I was right.

#19 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

I'm definetly importing the PS3 version.

If the console version will include extra characters, you won't hear it from the US Branch. For now, there are rather unsusbtle hints on the JP site that there is at least one more character.

Neat to see this getting a timely release, btw.

#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -
A new TV Show, a fighting tournament, is said to pull its stars in against their wills, forcing them to face off in battles with deadly stakes.

This is a more sinister set-up for the story than I thought. From what I gathered, it was just Teddie acting crazy and organizing a tourney while the Investigation Team went in the TV world to find out why, meanwhile Mitsuru and Akihiko doing spy business and Aigis doing whatever. Maybe we'll get a proper villain after all.

#21 Posted by JeanLuc (3586 posts) -

Both gamestop and amazon say the release date is August 7th. Not that I trust them or anything, retailers have done shit like this before. Still, worth mentioning.

#22 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

So... This is not download only? Wow.

#23 Posted by Landon (4147 posts) -

Huzzah!

#24 Posted by Nux (2364 posts) -

Time to give ATLUS all my money....again.

#25 Posted by Joker369 (879 posts) -

Hyped!

#26 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

So.. The US release abbreviates to P4A? Yeah, that's not just a little confusing.

#27 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Well, add another game to the purchase list for 2012...

#28 Posted by Strife777 (1589 posts) -

I'm actually pretty surprised it's coming at the same time as Japan, but that's great. I'm definitely getting this.

Also, like others have mentioned, they could've gone for a more original name. Oh well.

#29 Posted by Animasta (14697 posts) -

gonna bend so many dudes

SO MANY DUDES

#30 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

I don't know why you'd expect it to be. Arc System Works fighters are typically released on disc.

#31 Posted by JJOR64 (19001 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@MikeGosot said:

I don't know why you'd expect it to be. Arc System Works fighters are typically released on disc.

Yeah. They have released BlazBlu three times already. Not surprised it's a retail game. Plus there will most likely be a story mode and all the jazz and Arc System Works likes to put into their games so a retail game is fine.

#32 Posted by spazmaster666 (1968 posts) -

The last fighting game I played with any seriousness was Blazblue CT, so there's a good chance I'll be buying this game.

#33 Posted by ESREVER (2693 posts) -

I'm kinda surprised to see this as a disc based product myself. Considering that AH3 was download only for NA PSN. I figured this would undergo the same treatment.

#34 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Any news for a UK Release?

#35 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -

@Hizang: No, and there won't be for a while. Atlus doesn't have a European publishing branch.

#36 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

@metalsnakezero said:

...in my heart.

But combat wise, wasn't Chie the most useless party member next to Naota?

#37 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

@Nottle said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@metalsnakezero said:

...in my heart.

Shoosh, you. Galactic punt is the greatest. For real through I have no idea. I just used the default team the entire game.

I'm surprised with the story set up. I wonder how prominent the narrative will be. Who is writing it?

#38 Posted by ch3burashka (5087 posts) -

I was unsure about the premise (then again, it's a fighting game - who cares about the story), but the fact that there is a story, and it's about a new TV 'show' about a Runner Man-esque tournament is goddamn awesome.

#39 Posted by JeanLuc (3586 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I'm surprised with the story set up. I wonder how prominent the narrative will be. Who is writing it?

Atlus is writing all the story parts so it should feel like persona.

#40 Edited by Pepsiman (2479 posts) -

Every time I see that "Arena" subtitle the way it's rendered in the logo, I can't help but wonder if somebody at Atlus USA asked an intern to turn on an old version of Microsoft Word and use the WordArt function to render something out in English quickly so they could avoid hiring a graphic designer. Obviously a minor quibble, but I can't help but notice it.

Also, this is the first SMT related product to come to the States in quite a while to not have "Shin Megami Tensei" tacked on the title, no?

#41 Posted by Daveyo520 (6786 posts) -

Wait it isn't a downloadable game?

#42 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@Daveyo520 said:

Wait it isn't a downloadable game?

No. Where do people keep getting this misconception?

#43 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

@JeanLuc said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Atlus is writing all the story parts so it should feel like persona.

That is good to hear. I did not want another Blazblue story mode. Persona deserves better than that. It's still a fighting game story so i'll be cautiously optimistic.

#44 Edited by Daveyo520 (6786 posts) -

@Hailinel: It does not seem like a game that would be on a disc, even if the companies other games were. Also I would pay 15 bucks for it not 60. I love P4, but c'mon.

#45 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@Nottle said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@metalsnakezero said:

...in my heart.

I actually got more use out of Chie than I did Kanji. She's only useful as an ice-magic user until Teddie becomes an active party member, but her physical skills are great. Power Charge + God Hand = PAIN.

#46 Posted by metalsnakezero (2298 posts) -

@Nottle said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@metalsnakezero said:

...in my heart.

Chie was one of the top party member to have with her high strength and offensive moves. I have no idea where you are getting your info from that says she isn't useful.

#47 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@Daveyo520 said:

@Hailinel: It does not seem like a game that would be on a disc, even if the companies other games were. Also I would pay 15 bucks for it not 60. I love P4, but c'mon.

The game is coming with a full list of features. I'm not sure what it is that defines $15 versus $60 in your mind.

#48 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Nottle said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@metalsnakezero said:

...in my heart.

Shoosh, you. Galactic punt is the greatest. For real through I have no idea. I just used the default team the entire game.

Yukiko is definitely amazing, she is a great healer and she gets Agidyne. Yosuke is quick, has good physical attacks, and has some pretty decent magic, Chie never gets any good bufu spells, never gets a secret weapon, relies on those dumb use HP to attack moves. Galactic punt is cool, so is God's Hand, but you have to suffer though hours of mediocrity to get there.

#49 Posted by Daveyo520 (6786 posts) -

@Hailinel: In my mind it is on par with that Skull Girls game and that is downloadable. Idk it is not polygonal, and does not have many characters compared to other fighting games. It is not MvC3, SF4, or MK which I understand why are on disc, since they are big. It is a mater of perception.

#50 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@Nottle said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Nottle said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@metalsnakezero said:

...in my heart.

Yukiko is definitely amazing, she is a great healer and she gets Agidyne. Yosuke is quick, has good physical attacks, and has some pretty decent magic, Chie never gets any good bufu spells, never gets a secret weapon, relies on those dumb use HP to attack moves. Galactic punt is cool, so is God's Hand, but you have to suffer though hours of mediocrity to get there.

That's just the way Megami Tensei is. Sometimes, in order to do a lot of damage, you have to be prepared to take a hit. Chie's skills are just in that regard.

And Yukiko is so broken gameplay-wise that if they had made her immune to ice after her Persona evolution, she would have become a fan-waving goddess of health and fire.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.