New info on console versions

• 64 results
#1 Edited by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

Main points

• The game's story is canon
  • Teased that they are considering adding more characters for the console versions
  • Its supposedly has more content volume stuffed in it then BlazBlue
  • Expect modes that even non fighting game fans can enjoy

Here's the full interview: http://andriasang.com/con092/p4_arena_interview/

I love that there might be more characters added. I'm so excited for this game :)

#2 Posted by McGriddle550 (282 posts) -

my body has never been more fucking ready

#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

The story being canon makes me excited.

#4 Posted by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -

ooh i guess that means that i should get to Persona 4 before this comes out

#5 Posted by eroticfishcake (7791 posts) -

Yeah, canon story sounds pretty insane. I'm terrible at fighting games but I might pick it up at a reasonable price when I hear more. Thanks for this.

#6 Posted by StarvingGamer (8555 posts) -

LOL the story being canon makes me chuckle.

I look forward to buying it and being absolute rubbish.

#7 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Even more content than Blazblue?

Jesus.

#8 Posted by RoboRobb (1054 posts) -

get bent!

#9 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@RoboRobb said:

get bent!

I was going to main Kanji than I saw Chie's ultimate as being galactic punt

these are hard decisions D:

#10 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

@JeanLuc said:

I love Atlus forever. I was afraid at getting this game since I suck at 2D fighters.

Main points

• The game's story is canon
  • Teased that they are considering adding more characters for the console version.

If both of those are true P3 MC seems very likely. The one behind the weirdness could be Elizabeth?

#11 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

The story's handled by Atlus. They've said that the game's story would be canon ever since it was announced back in 2011.

@Neurotic said:

If both of those are true P3 MC seems very likely. The one behind the weirdness could be Elizabeth?

No. The gist of the story's already known given the arcade version. Labrys lies at the core of the story.

#12 Edited by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Haha canon. Cool, I'm quite excited for this game. But having already seen footage from Japanese arcades of kids going absolutely crazy on it, I already know this won't be the first fighting game I am actually decent at. I'm doomed to a lifetime of mediocrity, arcade modes, and only being able to do fireballs half the time.

#13 Posted by RoboRobb (1054 posts) -

@Animasta: man, why are our lives so hard!! These life choices are too much :P

#14 Posted by StarvingGamer (8555 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@StarvingGamer said:

The story's handled by Atlus. They've said that the game's story would be canon ever since it was announced back in 2011.

I know. It still makes me chuckle :D

#15 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

This game is going to be sweeeet! I surprised that the story is cannon, I guess Atlus has confidence in it. I will trust them.

#16 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

As has been said before, Atlus is handling the story, and it's been stated that it will be canon since news of it came about last year.

I look forward to a day when fighting game stories can be discussed where half the discourse isn't akin to "lol fighting gayme stories lololol."

#17 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1602 posts) -

@msavo said:

The story being canon weirds me out. Why is Yu... er, Charlie, back in Inaba?

#18 Posted by StarvingGamer (8555 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@StarvingGamer said:

As has been said before, Atlus is handling the story, and it's been stated that it will be canon since news of it came about last year.

I look forward to a day when fighting game stories can be discussed where half the discourse isn't akin to "lol fighting gayme stories lololol."

I know. My bemusement isn't because it's a fighting game story, it's because it's a story that has to justify a seemingly random fighting tournament in a fiction that is deeply rooted in reality despite its fantastical nature.

#19 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

I know. My bemusement isn't because it's a fighting game story, it's because it's a story that has to justify a seemingly random fighting tournament in a fiction that is deeply rooted in reality despite its fantastical nature.

True, the main reason the game exists is to expose the Persona 4 brand to those outside of the RPG audience, but I think they do pretty well in justifying why a tournament is taking place in what we know of the story so far. I'd say their justification isn't really outside of the realm of the Persona universe (especially with Persona 3's involvement).

#20 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@RoboRobb said:

get bent!

I was going to main Kanji than I saw Chie's ultimate as being galactic punt

these are hard decisions D:

Kanji for life. I love Chie, but c'mon! KANJI HAS A CHAIR! Who needs Kung fu when you have CHAIRS!?

@Hailinel said:

@StarvingGamer said:

I have faith that the history of this game will be pretty cool and presented very well, not just "HEY THIS GUY IS HERE BECAUSE REASONS AND HE HAS TO WIN BECAUSE TOURNAMENTS!" and then some random cutscene plays when you're close to the boss, so the day you've been waiting for may be close. Maybe.
#21 Posted by Ben_H (3429 posts) -

Can't decide between maining Teddy or Chie. On the one hand, it would be fun to troll people with Teddy. On the other hand, Chie has Galactic Punt.

#22 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4806 posts) -

This will be the game that I ride gloriously to a first place EVO throne. Chie, shit is about to get crazy.

#23 Edited by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -

What other Persona characters will they add? Will MC from P3 show up? Will we see more robot persona users like Aegis and Labrys?

#24 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@metalsnakezero: There's no one really left from Persona 4 (I highly doubt that Margaret would be part of the cast), so I suppose if there are anymore characters, they would be from Persona 3.

#25 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

So is it stupid of me to want this game for the story? I know nothing of the story but I suppose it's not gonna be a major part of the game since it's a fighting game. how will it be told? Full on anime cutscenes? In game talk like in P4? Motion comics?

The fighting gameplay style seems real fun though, really wanna try it out

@FluxWaveZ: Hey you seem to know alot, can you give me some info about the story?

#26 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

Pretend I really want to get into this- what games should I play to get ready? I don't think Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are going to cut it- so do I go with Guilty Gear and Blazblue? Which versions of those games are the most definitive ones out right now?

#27 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@Venatio: I assume that the Story Mode will be made in BlazBlue style, which is to mean presented in a visual novel style format (perhaps with anime cutscenes inserted in just like BlazBlue). For a brief synopsis of the story, just check the wiki.

Story elements that are not in the wiki as of yet as I've been too lazy to add them and I'm not completely certain about are:

• The environments of the game that are basically Midnight Channel versions of Yasogami High are essentially Labrys' Shadow dungeon.
  • Labrys' Shadow comes from her desire to live a normal high school life and her delusions of being the school's student council president.
  • The "Bison Teddie" we've seen in artwork before is actually Shadow Labrys.
  • Yu Narukami's Shadow that's been seen in the arcade mode is also Shadow Labrys.
  • The arcade mode ends in a sort of cliffhanger, hinting at someone else's involvement in regards to the story.
  • The Investigation Team are not intentionally fighting amongst themselves. They are all out of their minds and only snap back to reality when they're defeated in battle.
  • Rise Kujikawa has been kidnapped (by Labrys, I think).

Video of Yukiko's arcade mode playthrough:

#28 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Pretend I really want to get into this- what games should I play to get ready? I don't think Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are going to cut it- so do I go with Guilty Gear and Blazblue? Which versions of those games are the most definitive ones out right now?

Blazblue continuum shift extend should be all you need. Just got it myself, and its a little scary how much content is now in that game.

#29 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

@StrikeALight said:

@TooWalrus said:

Blazblue continuum shift extend should be all you need. Just got it myself, and its a little scary how much content is now in that game.

Exactly how much is there? What kind of features and modes?

#30 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel said:

@msavo said:

The story being canon weirds me out. Why is Yu... er, Charlie, back in Inaba?

And why is he wear his old school uniform?

#31 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

the story is canon? but the main character from persona 3 is in there, is it some kinda time travel then?

#32 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@kerse said:

the story is canon? but the main character from persona 3 is in there, is it some kinda time travel then?

Huh? Persona 3 has always taken place in the same universe as Persona 4. Persona 4 only takes place a couple of years after the events of Persona 3; that's why Mitsuru and Akihiko are now college students and look older. They make several direct references to P3 with the whole school trip in P4.

#33 Posted by mwng (955 posts) -
@JeanLuc said:

Main points

• Its supposedly has more content volume stuffed in it then BlazBlue
First 2 disc fighting game?!
#34 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

More is always good. Also why do these threads always go into Chie vs someone fights?

#35 Posted by PixelPrinny (1050 posts) -

If Yukari shows up, I'll bite. That or maybe if they include a fully fleshed out RPG mode (and not just that challenge mode in BB where you buy items to upgrade your character as they do an otherwise standard survival mode).

#36 Edited by kerse (2118 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@kerse said:

Huh? Persona 3 has always taken place in the same universe as Persona 4. Persona 4 only takes place a couple of years after the events of Persona 3; that's why Mitsuru and Akihiko are now college students and look older. They make several direct references to P3 with the whole school trip in P4.

SPOILERS

I know but at the end of persona 3, the main character dies and since Chihiro was president in 4, 4 has to take place after the end of 3.

Edit: I guess he isn't in there so nevermind, just looked up the character list, I coulda sworn one of those icons looked just like him though.

#37 Posted by DonutFever (3536 posts) -
@JeanLuc said: 
  • Teased that they are considering adding more characters for the console versions
God, I hope so. Wish there were more P3 characters. Dat Yukari and MC.
#38 Posted by PK_Koopa (583 posts) -

So there's still a chance for Koromaru to be playable?

Awesome.

Getting Elizabeth/Margaret as an optional boss would be nice too.

#39 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@PixelPrinny said:

If Yukari shows up, I'll bite. That or maybe if they include a fully fleshed out RPG mode (and not just that challenge mode in BB where you buy items to upgrade your character as they do an otherwise standard survival mode).

Yukari does not deserve love. She only deserves scorn! :P

I mean, she totally healed up the final boss on my first playthrough. If that doesn't call for at least three executions, I don't know what does. DX

#40 Posted by MiniPato (2751 posts) -

@msavo said:

But I can't help but feel it will be canon in a really minor way that isn't worth getting excited about. Most likely the story is just there to justify why there is this big ol tournament and not really advance the fiction in any meaningful way. Not that it has to in order to be good, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if that's what you're expecting.

#41 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

I want demifiend from SMT3. He wouldn't even have a persona, just kickin ass as the most badass JRPG protag the world has ever known.

finisher would totes be freikugel or gaea rage.

#42 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

@msavo said:

But I can't help but feel it will be canon in a really minor way that isn't worth getting excited about. Most likely the story is just there to justify why there is this big ol tournament and not really advance the fiction in any meaningful way. Not that it has to in order to be good, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if that's what you're expecting.

Well, it's advancing the Persona 3 main characters' fiction, so that's significant enough. Concerning the Investigation Team, there probably won't be anything new of note, sure.

#43 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

AM i the only one who wants raidou kuzunoha in the game

#44 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

I honestly would really love to see Vincent Brooks as a playable character. Man, that would be even better than the Persona 3 MC:

#45 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

@JeanLuc said:

Finally! (I know this is a fighting game) but godammit every fighting game caters to the tournament hardcore crowd already, this is great!

#46 Posted by PixelPrinny (1050 posts) -

@Hailinel: Clearly you just weren't treating her right!

#47 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@PixelPrinny: Plus, Yukari turned totally crazy in The Answer. I believe you appreciated how she acted in that part of the game, but man is there a problem if I came to appreciate Junpei more than I did Yukari.

That said, though, I wouldn't mind seeing an older Yukari as part of the cast members...

#48 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@PixelPrinny: Plus, Yukari turned totally crazy in The Answer. I believe you appreciated how she acted in that part of the game, but man is there a problem if I came to appreciate Junpei more than I did Yukari.

That said, though, I wouldn't mind seeing an older Yukari as part of the cast members...

Junpei owns, he's way superior to brosuke

#49 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

I hope more characters means K-dog will be there, for a fighting game there aren't a lot of crazy characters ... maybe Aigis and the other Robo chick but the presence of another robo chick makes Aigis look normal.

#50 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.